PDA

View Full Version : Is blowdrying OK on "cool" setting?

mellie
March 20th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I don't normally blowdry my hair, but lately it's been cold out and I don't like going out in the cold with damp hair. Does anyone know if it's still healthy for your hair to blowdry on the "cool" setting?

Patrycja
March 20th, 2008, 07:45 AM
all I know that might help you out is that when you blowdry on hot,your hair cuticle opens up therefore making it "frizzy"and unmanagable.And the cool setting keeps the cuticle from opening up.I've dryed using the cool setting when I was in a rush a couple of times and my hair was significally better than using the hot setting.softer and smoother.

I guess if you're in a pinch,use it and if it doesn't work or you're not happy with the results don't do it again.Hope I helped somewhat.

ChloeDharma
March 20th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I rekon if you keep the heat down and the speed to low then it should be ok. The other thing, blow down the hair away from the scalp not towards it as that can ruffle the cutickle.
Sometimes when i've had wet hair and had to go out i've blow dried and still keep it as an option, i just try to not let the hair get blown all over the place by holding it in my fingers and beig as careful as possible.

Curlsgirl
March 20th, 2008, 08:41 AM
What I usually do is wash later in the afternoon on a day when I am not going anywhere and let it dry that way mostly before I go to bed. If I HAVE to dry it a bit, I use my blow dryer to dry the scalp hair part a bit and get some of the wetness out, sometimes I do that in the winter even when I am not going out! It gives me a little more volume at the roots. I don't think cool air is harmful a bit. I use warm and make sure it is comfortable on my arm and that way it doesn't hurt my hair.

anna1850
March 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM
It probably will cause a little damage because it will still cause friction of the hairs rubbing together like wind damage.

But it's definitely not as bad as drying on a high heat!

So I guess it depends on how careful you want to be with your hair.

Ohio Sky
March 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I was going to say the same thing anna1851 said; using a blowdryer on cool would be about the same as a moderate wind. All I can think of is "ooooh! The tangles!"

If you dont have huge detangler problems, putting a bit of your fav oil on before blowdrying would help reduce the damage and prevent tangles. Im sure its not as bad as using it on hot, and, in all reality, doing it just until it warms up is probably not going to cause any lasting damage anyways.

spidermom
March 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I think it's o.k., probably. Just don't be using a brush and pulling/stretching your hair. If I feel I need to dry my hair, I will position the paddle brush under the strand of hair that I'm working on to spread the hairs and hold them still. I go around my head this way. Like Curlsgirl, I concentrate my drying efforts at the scalp area because once that's dry, the ends dry pretty fast all on their own.

However, I recently had to trim off lots of splits, so you may not want to take hair advice from me.

WavyGal
March 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I don't think it will be a problem if you don't do it often. It's when you do it everyday on the highest settings that creates the most damage.

mellie
March 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone!