PDA

View Full Version : Two fairy tale hemline questions

Alexa
October 23rd, 2014, 09:31 PM
The last time I had my hair cut, about a year ago now, I had it cut in a long inverted bob, slightly longer in front than in back. Now that my hair is just past shoulder length, I suppose it's still a slightly inverted U-shape from the back, but it's barely noticeable, both because my hair is slightly wavy, and because the hair from the front has to "travel" a greater distance to get to my back than the hair on the back of my head. If that makes sense. :ponder:

Aaaanywayyyyy, my long-term goal is to have a wispy fairy-tale hemline, and I'm wondering if my hair will naturally do that on its own (which would be great because I wouldn't have to lose any length in the meantime!), or whether I need to trim it a certain way (V-shaped hemline?) to encourage it. Does the hair in the back of my head naturally preserve more length over time than the front, since it is perhaps less subject to wear than the hair on my crown? Also, do fairy-tale hemlines lend themselves well to updos? Intuitively, I think yes, but I honestly don't have much experience with updos. :shrug:

Sharysa
October 23rd, 2014, 09:53 PM
It depends on your hair growth and type. My hair is REALLY coarse and thick, so if I want to keep my fairy-tale ends while maintaining my u-hem at hip-length, I have to raze the crap out of the last few inches of hair every month. On the plus side, I love wearing my hair down, and the natural damage it accumulates keeps my hair from getting too blunt.

A lot of people find that the natural taper with fairy-tale ends are easier to tuck into buns. For me, I love how fairy-tale ends look in a braid. It gives my braid a nice, subtle taper without the shredding/fuzziness of heavy layers or thinned-out ends, and I hate-hate-hate the look of a paintbrush braid tassel on myself.

Fairy-tale ends should be easy to get with your hair since it's fine, but that would also depend on your growth pattern and speed.

mica
October 23rd, 2014, 10:16 PM
Well, the last time a had a haircut it was the same as yours, slightly longer in the front than in the back, which was a few cm above collarbone length. That was back in 2012, if I remember correctly. My ends were blunt until I got to mid-back, at about that point I began to get fairy tale ends. I blame it on chairs! and wearing it down most of the time, I don't think it suffered greater "damage" than that, I think I was almost benign neglecting it without knowing.
I would just wait and see, you'll get there eventually, even if it is not very damaged hair grows at different speeds and is going through different growth stages, so it wont be even forever. As far as updos go, I'm not an expert and only do simple styles (yet!) but I agree with Sharysa that fairy tale ends give beautiful braids.

ravenheather
October 24th, 2014, 07:44 AM
I grew from an inverted bob and ended up with fairytales. Just give it time.

cathair
October 24th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Agree with the above that you just need to give it time. They will happen on their own :) Some people say that S&D speeds the process along, but I am not convinced about that myself (although I think keeping on top of S&D is still a very good idea).

FTE do make ends easier to tuck into buns. FTE can make braids look less chubby at the ends however, but I quite like how they taper off into a point though.

StellaKatherine
October 24th, 2014, 08:19 AM
I think it depends on if all of your hair grow at same speed or not and what is your terminal lenght. I cut my hair last time over 2 years ago in to the blund straight line. Two years later at TB length and my hair is still in a straight line... Natural Fairy Tail starts to happen when you close to your natural terminal lenght or the back of your hair grows faster than the front. If I am wrong.. please do correct me :D

lunalocks
October 24th, 2014, 08:58 AM
It took only one year of no trims (only s and d) to get fairy tails. Some hairs just grow faster than others. My fairy tails were helped by a big shed caused by surgeries. None of this was planned, or exactly wanted in the first place, but the tails are growing on me. (sorry for the unintended pun).

cathair
October 24th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I think it depends on if all of your hair grow at same speed or not and what is your terminal lenght. I cut my hair last time over 2 years ago in to the blund straight line. Two years later at TB length and my hair is still in a straight line... Natural Fairy Tail starts to happen when you close to your natural terminal lenght or the back of your hair grows faster than the front. If I am wrong.. please do correct me :D

I disagree, but I am having a hard job thinking of the correct words right now :D You can have fairytail ends well before your terminal length, I don't think it has anything to do with that. Although I am sure you can have them at terminal too!

It can be any of the hairs that grow faster than others making fairytail ends too, rather than just the back or the front. Fairy tails ends to me doesn't mean a v shaped hemline or an inverted v shaped hemline etc. It's just when strands are different lengths. That could mean clumps or hair making many points (or other shapes), rather than an overall shape.

If all the longest parts are the same length, imo it can still be straight across at the bottom AND fairytailed, but I wouldn't call it blunt. I do find it interesting how straight across you hair has remained StellaKatherine, it's kind of impressive :)

StellaKatherine
October 24th, 2014, 10:41 AM
cathair, that is what I tried to say.. there are so many things which affect appearing of the natural fairy tails. I'm couldn't find right words :D Each and everyones head is different. And fairy tails can look in so many different ways. But It seems most think of a fairy tails like a V shape , at least here where I live. I don't know what kind of fairy tails Alexa was talking about.

I never though, that my hair was in any way weird behaving. I had once layers, and the layers growed same way... straight line across and never really fully hiding in the longer parts untill I cut my hair to make it even as the clear layer effect was making me go crazy :D Same thing with my growing out bangs, they are shoulder lenght now and straigh line like the day my bangs were cut :D Kinda curious if my hair will get long enough will it ever actually change...

urs
October 26th, 2014, 04:12 AM
guys I need help please. My ends looking see threw and thin :'( I don't know what to do, I do micro-trims.

I really need help. what can I do to thicken it up again? I know to trim, but that I have been doing.

pleeeeease help

diddiedaisy
October 26th, 2014, 06:39 AM
I have fairytale ends which are in a straight line, but this is due to a big shed. So hair can fairytale without reaching terminal. A few layers might help give the effect, but the answer is probably patience.

gossamer
October 26th, 2014, 07:22 AM
guys I need help please. My ends looking see threw and thin :'( I don't know what to do, I do micro-trims.

I really need help. what can I do to thicken it up again? I know to trim, but that I have been doing.

pleeeeease help

This might not be the best place to post this, given that the thread is about growing out to naturally thin ends. Have you considered making a thread on the Mane Forum or looking at the thread of tips for newbies(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127067&highlight=newbies)? Have you read through Ursula's Standard Advice (http://web.archive.org/web/20120307010120/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39) and tried to apply some of the healthy-hair practices she describes?