PDA

View Full Version : Yeah for new growth hairs. Boo for them sticking up on top! What to do?

ohdokey
October 22nd, 2014, 11:43 PM
Hey, this month I have lots of new growth (chin length bob-growing it out) I am noticing near my part and hair line, but they are going in lots of (fluffy) directions. I stopped using hair gels and creams. Would an oil work to smooth them out? I don't usually oil that close to my scalp and leave it in.

Hotrox
October 23rd, 2014, 12:42 AM
I would think a teeny tiny amount of oil rubbed into your palms first and then smoothed over the baby hairs would work. But also a bit of time will help, they'll be laying down with the rest soon.

I noticed from another post that you are in China, me too!! My hair fell out a lot when I first arrived which I attribute to changes in diet and water plus a bit of stress. Great that you are getting some new growth :-)

JustPam
October 23rd, 2014, 05:52 AM
My baby hairs are going crazy today, I look like I've been electrocuted!

lapushka
October 23rd, 2014, 07:14 AM
My baby hairs are going crazy today, I look like I've been electrocuted!

I always look like I've been electrocuted. ;) :p :lol:

Chromis
October 23rd, 2014, 07:26 AM
I use oil on my scalp with no problems, but not everyone has luck with this! It can't be too heavy an oil though for me. Coconut oil or Nightblooming Triple Moon Oil off of Etsy are the two I like for my scalp. I usually rub in about three drops with my fingertips after my hair dries on washday. Oiling when damp/wet gives me that "oil slick" look, but other people prefer damp. You will need to experiment :) If your scalp does not like it, you can use the oils on your length or on your skin, I like coconut oil much better than lotion!

Another frizz tamer is aloe vera gel. Just a just bit is often enough.

I also use a boar bristle brush to smooth my scalp. I don't like it as much on my length, but it does an amazing job for making my updos look more polished! Different styles have more or less frizz too for me. I prefer my buns to stay low for comfort and this is also better or keeping those vagrant baby hairs contained too. French braids give a fuzzy halo, nice if you want a soft, romantic look, not nice if I want to look sleek (clearly there is some magic to this since I have seen some very sleek French braids!)

MrsGuther
October 23rd, 2014, 07:50 AM
I've heard that a dab of hair wax or pomade can be used to smooth down the new baby hairs. I've tried it before and it worked pretty well!

emilia1992
October 23rd, 2014, 08:08 AM
My new growth always sticks up, and in all directions. I kind of like it, especially when it's a misty morning, and the tiny beads of mist cling to the baby hairs, making this really weird special-effects sort of look. But if you want it sleeker, I find that wearing my hair to sleep in a parting helps. If I pull the hair back from the forehead, in the morning it looks like I have a very thin, albeit electrocuted, fringe.

ohdokey
October 23rd, 2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks, everyone. Hotrox, have you found a good place to buy coconut OIL here? I can find coconut water and coconut pieces, but not oil.

ohdokey
October 23rd, 2014, 08:57 AM
I will try the aloe vera first and bbb since I have those already. Sadly it's not really long enough for any braids (maybe a half french braid on each topside but it would be very puny.)

xsweetpotatox
October 23rd, 2014, 10:08 AM
I use a bit of Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner. Seems to work pretty well and doesn't make my hair look greasy.

Hotrox
October 23rd, 2014, 07:52 PM
Taobao, there isn't anything you can't buy on it!! I'm also lucky to be very close to Hong Kong so get a lot of my hair supplies there.

Do you have a Chinese friend who can help you with navigating Taobao, or order it for you? I'm kind of assuming you don't speak Chinese, but do correct me keep if i'm wrong! Also amazon.cc has a great selection
not as cheap as Taobao but it allows cash on delivery for many products which can be easier if you don't have a local bank account etc.