PDA

View Full Version : Advice request: is wearing my hair up doing my harm than good?

hufflepug
October 22nd, 2014, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone :) Right now my hair is about shoulder length, but it's not all one length. The top and sides are a bit shorter, and don't quite fit into a pony tail. I've been wearing a pony tail to keep it out of my face and in hopes of protecting the ends, but I'm thinking it might be worse off than just wearing it down for now. Some of the hairs just barely fit, so the elastic is right against the ends. Is this friction likely to cause damage? I'm terrible at things like braids, and it's too short for any sort of bun. It's such an awkward length on me and I don't really know what to do with it.

elvenelk
October 22nd, 2014, 06:03 PM
just keep the tips oiled. use Argan oil. It will protect them, and nourish and strengthen

georgia_peach
October 22nd, 2014, 06:07 PM
Hi there! I think you are right in thinking that the elastic may not be the most hair friendly for you right now. I'm growing out from a short, nape length layered hair cut. When I was at your stage I used mini claw clips every day to keep the hair around my face up and protected. I left the back of my hair down until I could get it up into a larger claw clip. So two mini claw clips in the front and a medium-ish claw clip in the back was my daily protective style.

SnowbirdRose
October 22nd, 2014, 06:10 PM
hufflepug, I'm glad you asked that question. I'm in a similar situation. I can get most of my hair up in a little pony tail. But I worry about damage from the ponytail holder. I don't even have enough length to do a peacock twist. I have to keep my hair up to keep it under a hairnet.

woodswanderer
October 22nd, 2014, 06:17 PM
I really don't think you even need to worry about damage from wearing your hair loose at that length unless your hair is already quite damaged from bleach or flat ironing or something of that nature. My :twocents:

hufflepug
October 22nd, 2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to toss all my elastics when I get home :) I bought some of the soft stretchy ribbon style hair ties, but my hair is so short that they just slip and pop right off. I had good luck with them when my hair was longer though. I know my hair isn't long enough yet to really need protective styling, but it's been short for so long and I really want to get some healthy length as quickly as possible; I don't want to do anything that will set me back further.

gthlvrmx
October 22nd, 2014, 07:06 PM
Well since it's too short for anything, I think a safer way of knowing it won't get more damage is investing in a silk pillowcase. Get one that is nice and slippery. The silk will help prevent your hair from getting damaged like it would on rough cotton.

Nadine <3
October 22nd, 2014, 07:43 PM
I agree with everyone here. You're hair it to short right now to rub on anything and friction from elastics can cause damage, especially if worn in the same place often. I suggest a silk pillow case or a silk night cap to protect it while you sleep, but generally you're hair would probably be okay left loose. I think you could start wearing it up more effectively at around shoulder :)

ZeppHead
October 22nd, 2014, 07:55 PM
If I were you I would just wear safe cute styles while it grew out some. Half up braid, wearing hankercheifs over it, head bands...just use a leave in or oil on the ends to protect them and keep them as healthy as possible so you don't have to trim too often.

hufflepug
October 22nd, 2014, 08:25 PM
Well since it's too short for anything, I think a safer way of knowing it won't get more damage is investing in a silk pillowcase. Get one that is nice and slippery. The silk will help prevent your hair from getting damaged like it would on rough cotton.

I agree with everyone here. You're hair it to short right now to rub on anything and friction from elastics can cause damage, especially if worn in the same place often. I suggest a silk pillow case or a silk night cap to protect it while you sleep, but generally you're hair would probably be okay left loose. I think you could start wearing it up more effectively at around shoulder :)

I actually just started using a silk pillowcase again last week. It feels so much nicer, I love it.

Madora
October 22nd, 2014, 08:31 PM
[http://www.sears.com/search=goody+ouchless+updo+barrette?storeId=10153&catalogId=12605&levels=Beauty

You may want to look into one piece barrettes made by Goody to help keep your hair confined.

I love the oval one! So easy to use. Since it is all once piece, you never have to worry about it pinching or snagging tiny hairs.

ReneeG
October 22nd, 2014, 09:35 PM
I agree with everyone above me as well, as far as wearing it down, but here are some other suggestions!

Only ponytail the long pieces with the soft ribbon ties, and use a headband to pull back the shorter pieces, so you arent putting any pressure on the ends.

Bobbypins! Theyre wonderful. There are a lot of fun twisty hair styles that you could do with pins that would help you keep your ends up and out of the way (if for example they are starting to rub against your shirts and damaging the ends)

Most of these are awful and damaging, but number 17 is super cute and would be great for getting your ends up. Also, it looks pretty easy in that there is no rhyme or reason to it.
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/advice/a27783/short-hair-hacks/?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1440_68816436

Or this similar one, minus the hair spray and teasing (Teasing should be banned!!!):
http://www.hairromance.com/2013/05/how-to-do-an-updo-in-short-hair.html

The Twisties in the bottom of her hair in this one are cute, and you could do them with or without the accent braids (and no need of the curling iron):
http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/10/braiding-short-hair/

gthlvrmx
October 22nd, 2014, 09:59 PM
I agree with everyone above me as well, as far as wearing it down, but here are some other suggestions!

Only ponytail the long pieces with the soft ribbon ties, and use a headband to pull back the shorter pieces, so you arent putting any pressure on the ends.

Bobbypins! Theyre wonderful. There are a lot of fun twisty hair styles that you could do with pins that would help you keep your ends up and out of the way (if for example they are starting to rub against your shirts and damaging the ends)

Most of these are awful and damaging, but number 17 is super cute and would be great for getting your ends up. Also, it looks pretty easy in that there is no rhyme or reason to it.
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/advice/a27783/short-hair-hacks/?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1440_68816436

Or this similar one, minus the hair spray and teasing (Teasing should be banned!!!):
http://www.hairromance.com/2013/05/how-to-do-an-updo-in-short-hair.html

The Twisties in the bottom of her hair in this one are cute, and you could do them with or without the accent braids (and no need of the curling iron):
http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/10/braiding-short-hair/

Careful with those bobby pins. They can cause damage if your hair get's stuck between the two metal things (i don't know what it's called) and if you're not careful while taking the bobby pins out, it can cause damage.

hufflepug
October 23rd, 2014, 11:20 AM
[http://www.sears.com/search=goody+ouchless+updo+barrette?storeId=10153&catalogId=12605&levels=Beauty

You may want to look into one piece barrettes made by Goody to help keep your hair confined.

I love the oval one! So easy to use. Since it is all once piece, you never have to worry about it pinching or snagging tiny hairs.

I bought a pack of these on my way to work today :)

Panth
October 23rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
I really don't think you even need to worry about damage from wearing your hair loose at that length unless your hair is already quite damaged from bleach or flat ironing or something of that nature. My :twocents:

This.

Also, whilst up is most definitely protective, that is only true if you are doing protective (non-damaging) updos. Ponytails are not non-damaging - quite the reverse, particularly if you wear them in the same place repeatedly and/or if you tighten them by splitting the ponytail and pulling.

At your length, I'd either wear it loose or do a half-up or a peacock twist or something.

leilani
October 28th, 2014, 02:26 AM

Rough cotton? What's that? Do some of you guys have cotton pillowcases that feel like burlap? I love my cotton, especially cotton/bamboo blends (and I love bamboo the best for bedding).

torrilin
October 28th, 2014, 08:56 AM
What I'd suggest is take the time now while it's short to learn how to lace braid. Lace braids are super duper useful, and much easier than people make out in books. And they're fantastic for layered cuts and in between lengths. Torrin Paige has several lace braid tutorials on youtube that I found very helpful when I was learning to do lace braids.

It will take practice, but it will also give you a handy tool for as your hair gets longer. And a lace braided headband tends to be a super cute way to restrain bangs if you want a sleeker look.

chelsea89ms
October 28th, 2014, 11:52 AM
http://iheart7.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/flexi8-1.jpg

This was my go to stye for a long time, I believe this can be done on shoulder length. Its just a simple peacock twist but you can use claw clips, flexi-8's and large barrettes :o