PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here

mamarussell
September 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Hi all! I am so glad to be here. I have "longish" hair: mid-back. I need serious help, though. My hair is wavy/curly. It is super frizzy. What do I do for it? I always wear my hair up with a scrunchy. Is that ruining my hair? I think it is because my ends look all scraggly now. How do I learn to put my hair up in something other than a pony-tail? I do not like to wear it down often because I am a busy mama of four and it gets in the way when it is down.

Any help is much appreciated!

Honigwein
September 25th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I have a baby too, and she usually pulls my hair and it´s really hard to find a good way for it. I usually vary on braids, the ones my daughter can´t touch easily. It would be nice to see some picture of you to see your hair situation. After Elisa was born my hair changed. I had more hair growing after a loss. The new ones grow frizzy but nothing a good product antifrizz and some patience can´t solve. Sorry my English is short to understand the term scrunchy, hehe. For my hair i never put it together very tight, even if wearing elastics. It can mark the hair and brake it, specially if it´s thin. The gentle people here will say something nicer than I do, but I hope I could help. Regards!

Amara
September 26th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I think doing anything "all the time" will eventually damage your hair at least a little bit, from the constant wear in the same place, even if it's very slightly. Could you vary the placement of your ponytail, or try pigtails?

There are lots of options for frizz - check out threads on washing with conditioner only (COing), using oils, rinses, and other stuff. You'll find a good solution soon! There are specific threads on curly hair and frizzies you can read through for various opinions and suggestions.

As for learning to put your hair up in different ways, do a some searching on youtube! Lots of the members here post tutorial videos, and I think that's the easiest way to learn a new style.

Hope you find all your answers!

mamarussell
September 30th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Thank you both for all of the help! I will have hubby take a picture of my hair so everyone can see it. I'll be "researching" the forums and threads to see what will work for me!

Thanks again!

Jorja
September 30th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hi mamarussell - Welcome from another newbie :)

Euphony
September 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM
When I first started here I had some serious frizz going on. I kept trying product after product trying to get rid of the frizz and nothing helped completely. Reading around here made me realize it was the manipulation I was doing to my hair. When I started here my hair was to my bra, I would brush it from the top to the bottom very harshly with one of those vent brushes. I'd also brush it several times a day. I found if I used a comb and started from the bottom to the top I did better and I also learned to comb it once when it's wet, then not comb it again until it was completely dry. If I combed it before it would dry it would disrupt the waves and make them not fall back together so they'd be pushing against each other thus causing frizz.

The other thing I learned is hair with texture needs lots of moisture - coconut oil became my friend.

sky
October 1st, 2008, 12:04 PM
"Wurly" (wavy to curly) 2c/3a hair such as yours and mine LOVES moisture and hates brushes and most combs.

There is a "Wurly" thread that you might find interesting.

I recommend http://www.jessicurl.com for tips, videos and products that work magic on my hair. I use Too Shea conditioner all the time! I don't shampoo, just CO and that works best for me. NAYY.....just love the site! Jessica uses nothing bad for the hair and everythng is "tested on curls, not animals". Several times a year she has a $5.00 flat-rate S&H special and often has other specials that are very enticing.

And check out the "styles" posts here.....lots of good ideas on how to put your hair up out of the way.

I particularly like hair sticks.....a good twist, one stick and it's up all day w/o damage!

The idea that doing the same thing all the time might damage your hair has merit. Luckily, I cannot concentrate on any one thing long enough to get there! :lol:

HTH

sky

maliha
October 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hi, even i am a newbie here and a mother ,, i can understand what baby can do to you hair? coz its certainly happening with me too,,,
I tried few hair recipes from here and it worked for me and now i am hooked on this site,,

Tell you sumthing,,whenever i am with my son i roll my hair up in a bun or tie a plait thats a real relief for my hair from getting pulled every now and then :)

Tapioca
October 3rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
For the frizz, I would reccomend trying CO washes. I also swear by my homemade "snot". Aloe gel and jojoba oil blended together. (I call it snot because that's what it looks like. A bottle o' snot.)
A scrunchy (especially a fluffy fabric or velvet one) shouldn't cause too much damage compared to elastics, but it is a good idea to vary where the ponytail goes from time to time.
Hang around the forums from time to time, and you'll pick up new 'dos. When I started here, I could do a ponytail and use barettes. That was about it.
And if you don't like your ends scraggly, by all means, get a trim! (Not a chop, a trim.) Many people here like what are called "fairytale ends", where the length thins gradually to the hemline. It's very romantic. Think Rennaisance paintings. Others prefer a more blunt, straight-across-the-bottom hemline. It's up to you. Do what you think looks good on you.