PDA

View Full Version : small knots in hair

Chocowalnut
October 21st, 2014, 10:32 PM
Recently I have been pretty often getting tiny knots in strands of my hair. Why is this happening? Is my hair too dry or something? And it seems like I am pulling a lot of hairs out too, Idk if that's correlated. Does anyone know why I'm getting these knots/what should I add/take away from my routine to help this?

Hotrox
October 21st, 2014, 10:46 PM
I get these on the fine hairs at the back of my neck. I have found that protective updos overnight make them worse as these wispy hairs are then even more exposed to friction from my pillow. I do a low bun now so the ends are still in but these hairs are also protected.

Do you get them in the same place most of the time, could mechanical friction also be causing yours? I have the same issue with high backed chairs, if my hair rubs on anything these little individual knots appear.

If I find one I pull it out, there is no way to undo it and I don't want it to cause a bigger tangle. Actually I'm lucky that even as a curly these are the only type of tangles I get.

Larki
October 21st, 2014, 11:01 PM
I get them randomly, in no particular location.

Chocowalnut
October 21st, 2014, 11:01 PM
I get these on the fine hairs at the back of my neck. I have found that protective updos overnight make them worse as these wispy hairs are then even more exposed to friction from my pillow. I do a low bun now so the ends are still in but these hairs are also protected.

Do you get them in the same place most of the time, could mechanical friction also be causing yours? I have the same issue with high backed chairs, if my hair rubs on anything these little individual knots appear.

If I find one I pull it out, there is no way to undo it and I don't want it to cause a bigger tangle. Actually I'm lucky that even as a curly these are the only type of tangles I get.

Hey hotrox.. I think it is usually towards the ends of my hair but other than that I haven't paid too much attention to the location. It could be mechanical damage, but I'm not sure. I don't think I'm that rough on my hair and I usually sleep with it down.

Chocowalnut
October 21st, 2014, 11:02 PM
I get them randomly, in no particular location.

So would you say they are probably normal then and nothing to worry about?

CurlyCap
October 21st, 2014, 11:51 PM
I think you are talking about single strand knots (SSKs) or fairy knots. My hair is curly, and occasionally my hair will just make a slip knot by itself...and if one end is pulled through I get an SSK.

The common position is to cut out all SSKs while you are doing a search and destroy. Which is wise but I find exhausting. I gave up and just cut them out when i do my 6 month trims.

fiğrildi
October 22nd, 2014, 02:26 AM
I have some fairy knots as well, I think it's a type of split end. I just search and destroy them when I'm looking for splits.
And yes, I think they are normal, so, nothing to worry about :wink:

Federica
October 22nd, 2014, 03:38 AM
I have some at the ends, but I noticed that since I'm wearing my hair up most of the time they're almost gone.
I think they're just a result of tangles, nothing to be scared about :D

lapushka
October 22nd, 2014, 04:19 AM
I have been known to get these, on nape hairs especially. Usually one strand or multiple strand knots, tiny knots. It happens when I don't moisturize well enough. The more conditioner, the better. But you probably already know my routine (signature). :)

YvetteVarie
October 22nd, 2014, 04:26 AM
I get them a lot too. They happen more if my hair isn't moisturised enough. Only solution is to cut them out.

lectraplayer
October 22nd, 2014, 05:42 AM
I noticed lately after my last condition that I have started getting them. I also notice my hair is also rougher in feel and more frictionous. I usually wind up pulling them out of my soaked hair with a comb. I may try an oil treatment tonight after church. I usually "wash" water and detangle only. Worked well all summer.

Madora
October 22nd, 2014, 07:46 AM
Chocowalnut, do you detangle your hair every day? It may be that in addition to detangling with a wide tooth comb, your hair needs a final "check" with a fine tooth comb, just to be sure ALL the tiny little hidden snarls/mats/tangles have been taken care of.

I get a tiny fairyknot once in a while, usually on the last 4 inches of my hair. Impossible to untangle, so out comes the scissors!

Chocowalnut
October 22nd, 2014, 10:20 AM
Chocowalnut, do you detangle your hair every day? It may be that in addition to detangling with a wide tooth comb, your hair needs a final "check" with a fine tooth comb, just to be sure ALL the tiny little hidden snarls/mats/tangles have been taken care of.

I get a tiny fairyknot once in a while, usually on the last 4 inches of my hair. Impossible to untangle, so out comes the scissors!

I actually don't detangle every day because it brushes out all my curls/waves and doesn't look good. So maybe that's the reason but for me I can usually pull them out I don't have to cut them. I love that they're called fairy knots though :p

velorutionista
October 22nd, 2014, 03:35 PM
I get them especially if my ends are loose and moving around a lot (i.e. like in a breeze or down all day). Sometimes I can work them out (a little oil helps), but if they fight me or there's a lot, I snip them out. I think they're totally normal.

meteor
October 22nd, 2014, 04:07 PM
I rarely get these, but I have more knots in winter-time when the air is very dry and my hair gets drier/rougher/less slippery.
I find it interesting that chocowalnut and lectraplayer mentioned that they've been getting them recently ... it could be that the seasonal change is requiring more intense moisturizing/conditioning - so more emollients and occlusives like oils and cones might be helpful.

Chocowalnut
October 22nd, 2014, 07:58 PM
I rarely get these, but I have more knots in winter-time when the air is very dry and my hair gets drier/rougher/less slippery.
I find it interesting that chocowalnut and lectraplayer mentioned that they've been getting them recently ... it could be that the seasonal change is requiring more intense moisturizing/conditioning - so more emollients and occlusives like oils and cones might be helpful.

I definitely agree it could be a seasonal thing, that might also be why I'm shedding a ton, could be all seasonal..

LauraLongLocks
October 22nd, 2014, 09:15 PM
I get one of these fairy knots once in a while. I just trim them out when I find them. Keeping my hair well-conditioned with oils and conditioners helps prevent these, I think.

MountainMane
October 22nd, 2014, 09:35 PM
Aww faery knots...try to have more moisture in the ends. Helps me...