PDA

View Full Version : I have a game! Least # of bobby pins it takes to hold up your hair?

Vaas
October 21st, 2014, 04:13 PM
And what is your hair length?

I can do it with 4. I'm so proud of myself. :) mostly BSL here.

Madora
October 21st, 2014, 04:31 PM
My hair is knee. I only use 3 inch crimped hairpins. Number of pins depends on what braided style I'm doing. Usually use 10 but sometimes can get away with only 8. Bobby pins (for me) are next to useless. They are ok for holding tiny wisps of hair at the nape area.

MsPharaohMoan
October 21st, 2014, 04:45 PM
Oooooh, good one… how long does it have to stay up?

ZeppHead
October 21st, 2014, 04:52 PM
Oooooh, good one… how long does it have to stay up?

LoL how long does it have to stay up...

I can get mine up with 3 but I have fine hair but it won't stay up all day with just pins! My hair is too slippery and fine.

Vaas
October 21st, 2014, 04:54 PM
Hmm, 8 hours?ish? Whatever is the majority of a day for you. :)

Nadine <3
October 21st, 2014, 04:57 PM
My hair is an inch past APL and I can hold all of my hair up with one regular sized bobby pin for as long as I need it up. What is my prize?:cool:

kaydana
October 21st, 2014, 05:20 PM
I'm almost at TBL and I can hold all of mine up with a single bobby pin. I know more than one style I can do that with, too. It'll last all day under normal conditions.

Give me two and I can do a style that will hold its own against even the most active of sports.

DreamSheep
October 21st, 2014, 05:28 PM
Oh Gosh, I've no idea as I have never tried - I always use at least two spin pins with claw clips - I don't think I'd have the patience with bobby pins.
I got an updo done in June by some professional hairdressers for a ball - and although I lost a few of them, the updo held well (it was a sort of double crown braid with weird pouf in the middle). Anyway, when I took it down, I had 30-40 hairpins all for me =D
But I don't know if they were all necessary or not, and I'm tempted to say that the crown braids would hold themselves... Which leads to the question, how do you even put your hair up with bobbypins?

MsPharaohMoan
October 21st, 2014, 05:28 PM
Darn... I was gunna make a seashell bun and hold it with a single bobby pin from the center!

mica
October 21st, 2014, 05:35 PM
I'm almost at TBL and I can hold all of mine up with a single bobby pin. I know more than one style I can do that with, too. It'll last all day under normal conditions.

Give me two and I can do a style that will hold its own against even the most active of sports.

:thud: Are you some kind of hair ninja? I'm astonished by everyone's answers to be honest, I need 3 bobby pins just to hold back my fringe!

kaydana
October 21st, 2014, 05:41 PM
Darn... I was gunna make a seashell bun and hold it with a single bobby pin from the center!

I can't see that working very well, I think it would be too much weight for the bobby pin to support by itself.

The trick to single bobby pin styles is to create something where the weight of your hair is supported by your hair, not the bobby pin. The bobby pin shouldn't be dealing with any weight at all, it should just be there to secure the ends and stop everything unravelling.

Madora
October 21st, 2014, 05:50 PM
I can't see that working very well, I think it would be too much weight for the bobby pin to support by itself.

The trick to single bobby pin styles is to create something where the weight of your hair is supported by your hair, not the bobby pin. The bobby pin shouldn't be dealing with any weight at all, it should just be there to secure the ends and stop everything unravelling.

[COLOR="#FF0000"]^ ^ ^ Exactly, kaydana! The bulk of the hair should not be dependent on one bobby pin! Way too much stress on the strands!/COLOR]

darklyndsea
October 21st, 2014, 06:31 PM
For the Elling woman bun, zero. One if I want it to hold up all day.

Amapola
October 21st, 2014, 06:36 PM
My hat is off to you guys. My hair hates pins with a passion and spits them out in contempt. Whenever the instructions say "...and then just pin it up!" I know it's a no-hoper for me.

I'll stick with my one Ficcare. Or stick. I'll leave the pins to you experts!

trolleypup
October 21st, 2014, 06:39 PM

Zero if it just needs to hold for an hour or two (arrive at the hot tub without anything to hold hair up), 1 if I need a long hold...but it only keeps a style from unraveling, not holding it up.

But I rarely use them, as my go to is a single stick bun.

Aurum
October 21st, 2014, 07:15 PM
Some people with grippy hair can do a nautilus with literally nothing holding it up. My hair is too slippery for that. I don't normally use bobby pins anyway, only occasionally to tame a runaway braid strand or something.

Vaas
October 21st, 2014, 07:20 PM
My hair is an inch past APL and I can hold all of my hair up with one regular sized bobby pin for as long as I need it up. What is my prize?:cool:

Wow. Umm, well, not a package of bobby pins.

starfire
October 21st, 2014, 07:37 PM
Zero, if in a nautilus bun.
If in any other updo, I don't think I've been able to secure it with just bobby pins, no matter how many I use.

Entangled
October 21st, 2014, 07:39 PM
Minimum?

Twenty five. At least.
That's why I use hairpins!;)

Anje
October 21st, 2014, 08:12 PM
Zero on a nautilus bun or my weird mutant celtic-knot lump bun. (I used a conditioner that's got my hair more slippery than usual earlier this week -- not sure the nautilus would hold, but my celtic knot thing doesn't require grippy hair to stay.)

Usually I prefer a stick or such for the security, though. And I like stiff U-shaped pins a lot more than bobby pins. Last time I had a bobby pin updo done, I think there were 60-something in it.

lunasea
October 21st, 2014, 08:17 PM
I can make kind of a cinnabun and loop the end through the middle or pull a strand from the side over it and hold it up with no pins. I learned the second do from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08Ikn5lcyA I have thin fine hair so, even when I use pins, I never need more than one.

Aderyn
October 21st, 2014, 09:16 PM
I can do a nautilus with zero bobby pins and have it hold quite well.

Angela_Rose
October 21st, 2014, 09:57 PM
Knee length, and I can get and keep it all up with two 3" Amish pins.

Marika
October 22nd, 2014, 12:20 AM
I hate regular bobby pins. They don't hold up any style but I still can't get them out of my hair! :angry: It's so much faster, easier and hair friendly to use sticks or forks. I use claw clips if the directions say 'pin it up'.

Wosie
October 22nd, 2014, 04:18 AM
I hate regular bobby pins. They don't hold up any style but I still can't get them out of my hair! :angry: It's so much faster, easier and hair friendly to use sticks or forks. I use claw clips if the directions say 'pin it up'.

I feel very much the same about bobby pins. :agree: I bought a pack ~a year ago to pin my (long) bangs up and out of the way (now I use claw clips), but whenever I try to use them in a 'do they're always tricky to get out and I worry they cause more harm than assistance. :S

YvetteVarie
October 22nd, 2014, 04:24 AM
APL and I don't need bobby pins to hold my hair up. I can do a mean afro :D . Advantages of being type 4

Rebecka
October 22nd, 2014, 04:37 AM
I think if you make a crown braid (or however its called) many laps around your head with really small strands of hair you can stick the ends in and no bobby pin needed? A lot of job but probably possible :D

Me myself i think 4 bobby pins, layered BSL.

lapushka
October 22nd, 2014, 04:44 AM
I can do with none. My LWB holds up just fine by itself. Except when I shake my head. :lol: One, I guess. :) Oh, and I'm TBL, layered.

Lirona
October 22nd, 2014, 07:13 AM
My hat is off to you guys. My hair hates pins with a passion and spits them out in contempt. Whenever the instructions say "...and then just pin it up!" I know it's a no-hoper for me.

I'll stick with my one Ficcare. Or stick. I'll leave the pins to you experts!

This! I envy you guys! But spin pins work well for me. And they're advertised as doing the "work of 20 bobby pins," so if we convert that... 40, but more often, 60! :rollin:

Chromis
October 22nd, 2014, 07:50 AM
For the Elling woman bun, zero. One if I want it to hold up all day.

This was just what I was going to say! My Ellingwoman will hold with none, but one is nice to make sure the tail stays tucked in super neatly.

Like Madora and AR though, I find bobby pins are really not adequate in general for knee length hair and I prefer to use Amish/u-shape pins. It is rare for me to put my hair up with them though, I much prefer Ficcares, sticks, or forks. The hair pins are good for swimming though since I can make a flat bun with nothing sticking out to damage my swim cap. I normally need at least four of the three inch ones for it to feel secure but I'm not very coordinated getting the cap on either. Even the extra-large ones are still very tight!

kaydana
October 22nd, 2014, 07:57 AM
When I answered this I was assuming we were talking about hair styles that need bobby pins (otherwise the question doesn't make sense)... if not, put me in the "can put it up with none" camp.

LadyCelestina
October 22nd, 2014, 08:06 AM

Either a tutorial or the spell formula,please?

LadyCelestina
October 22nd, 2014, 08:10 AM
AAA I am sorry only now I notice this thread has multiple pages,sorry it's been a long day.Most self hold buns don't actually *hold* for me if I am doing anything other than sitting and not moving.

Vaas
October 22nd, 2014, 09:48 AM
I think if you make a crown braid (or however its called) many laps around your head with really small strands of hair you can stick the ends in and no bobby pin needed? A lot of job but probably possible :D

Me myself i think 4 bobby pins, layered BSL.

Is this the style in your signature?? Teach me your ways!

RapunzelKat
October 22nd, 2014, 10:08 AM

Yep, this is me! Except I use spin pins in combination with those u-shaped hairpins if I'm not using a stick or fork. Bobby pins inevitably break at least one hair apiece when I take them out. shudder: I don't know why, but I just can't get the hang of removing the things.

If I did a really really tight bee butt bun on wet hair, it would likely stay with one or two. Not a hair friendly option though! Also it would look ridiculous. :D

Angela_Rose
October 22nd, 2014, 12:29 PM
This was just what I was going to say! My Ellingwoman will hold with none, but one is nice to make sure the tail stays tucked in super neatly.

Like Madora and AR though, I find bobby pins are really not adequate in general for knee length hair and I prefer to use Amish/u-shape pins. It is rare for me to put my hair up with them though, I much prefer Ficcares, sticks, or forks. The hair pins are good for swimming though since I can make a flat bun with nothing sticking out to damage my swim cap. I normally need at least four of the three inch ones for it to feel secure but I'm not very coordinated getting the cap on either. Even the extra-large ones are still very tight!

They only time I use bobby pins is if I'm trying to keep my bangs anchored, and that's only because they're short bits and they get cut back regularly, so I'm not overly worried about damage to them. My Amish pins are simple, plain, and easy to hide. I love fun hair toys and have a few, but I'm a chauffeur and I prefer nothing ostentatious in my bun when I'm working, which is the vast majority of my time.

Rosetta
October 23rd, 2014, 01:26 AM
My hair hates pins with a passion and spits them out in contempt.
Thanks for this, now I have a good way to describe how my hair behaves towards hair sticks (or forks) :)

Dreams_in_Pink
October 23rd, 2014, 01:35 AM
My hair's just past waist and i cannot even attempt to hold my hair up with bobby pins. It would probably require 10+. U pins are better though, i can get a secure hold with 8 of them, based on a ponytail of course.

RainbowBowser
October 23rd, 2014, 01:38 AM
Do we mean JUST bobbypins? I hope not.
I dunno, 3 when in Chinese bun, otherwise no idea.

embee
October 23rd, 2014, 05:11 AM
I don 't use bobbypins at all. A single stick is fine though. :)

spidermom
October 23rd, 2014, 08:38 AM
8-10. I do a style where I dutch or rope braid across the bottom in the back, then all the way to the ends, which I double back and pin into place above the original braid. It looks very intricate but is actually pretty easy.
This is an example but done with two rope braid twists coming back, then coiled up and pinned.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/SECsig.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/SECsig.jpg.html)
Right now I'm enjoying pinned styles much more than buns held with forks or sticks. I want my hair to be the focus, not the fork or stick.

dancingrain91
October 23rd, 2014, 09:11 AM
My minimum is probably 20 to 30 regular bobby pins, 3 spin pins or 4 goody clear giant awesome hair pins that I used to use for ballet buns when I danced. But I tend to just use one hairstick. It's way easier.

kaydana
October 23rd, 2014, 09:43 AM
Ooooh that's gorgeous, spidermom!

StellaKatherine
October 23rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
TBL length. Depending on the style of a bun form 1-3 bobby pins. The there are styles where I need even up to 15 like the one on as my avatar photo ;)

StellaKatherine
October 23rd, 2014, 11:17 AM
8-10. I do a style where I dutch or rope braid across the bottom in the back, then all the way to the ends, which I double back and pin into place above the original braid. It looks very intricate but is actually pretty easy.
This is an example but done with two rope braid twists coming back, then coiled up and pinned.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/SECsig.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/SECsig.jpg.html)
Right now I'm enjoying pinned styles much more than buns held with forks or sticks. I want my hair to be the focus, not the fork or stick.

Oh my god, that is so pretty!!! I need to learn making this one ! :crush: