PDA

View Full Version : Wearing hair up causing hair fall?

ZeppHead
October 21st, 2014, 02:54 PM
I recently began wearing hair sticks daily and braiding nightly as my hair has gotten longer and I would like to see if this aids in healthier hair as I grow. I know already it keeps knots at bay which means less combing and potential split ends. My concern with wearing it up all the time is the constant pulling at my temples and nape when I bun. Can this cause breakage on the hairline? I have also noticed losing hair when I take it down at night and morning to comb but could this just be natural hair fall that I just dont see because my hair isnt down? Or could wearing it up be causing the hair fall? This isn't a mass amount of hair fall but its probably 30 or so I'm pulling out of the shower drain after I take my hair down in the morning and as i shampoo as well . Anyone else have these problems who keep their hair up? Is it pretty normal? Should I try keeping it looser when i wear it up during the day?

I should add that I really didn't notice as much hair fall when I was wearing my hair down on a daily basis but of course I lost hair during the course of the day especially when i combed out tangles several times a day.

Vrindi
October 21st, 2014, 03:01 PM
If your styles are very tight, you might be pulling some hairs, otherwise the hair fall is probably just because those hairs have naturally shed, and instead of falling out unnoticed like they do when you wear it down, you see them at once when you comb it. 30 hairs is nothing to panic about, not even close. I lose a minimum of 50 on a very good day. Normal for me is much more. Also, if you're concerned about updos causing breakage, then rotate your hair styles, try different buns/braids in different places, so it isn't the same area over and over being pulled a certain direction. Again, unless you're pulling too tight or putting too much strain on one area, you shouldn't get breakage.

Also note, you'll see more newer hairs sticking out at your hairline when you wear it up. This doesn't mean they're broken, just new and not long enough to be pulled back.

thankyousir74
October 21st, 2014, 03:06 PM
The rule of thumb is that 100 hairs per day is normal, and I'd think that one usually wouldn't see hairs fall out if it was loose. And ditto on the fact that those could very well be new hairs growing in around your crown.

ZeppHead
October 21st, 2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys I shall try different styles and try not to worry seeing all the hair at once!! I happen to agree with that.

Anje
October 21st, 2014, 03:15 PM
Just agreeing -- there is a risk of damage if it's very tight, but most people don't have issues with that. If you can slide a finger or two under your scalp hair once your updo is in, I'm sure it's fine. If you can't, you should definitely loosen it up a bit. No facelifts! Also, if you have a spot that's hurting or pulling, just re-do your style. It's a pain, but there's no sense in stressing your follicles and potentially losing some hair, not to mention having a sore spot all day. On those occasional days when everything pulls, I just put my hair in a low braid and call it good enough.

Otherwise, I normally wear my hair contained too, and I only notice sheds when it's loose. I'm sure my hair sheds the rest of the time, but it doesn't come out of the length until that hair's manipulated, so you see it all at once. (To really magnify this effect, try doing a style like lots of little braids that stays in for a week or two. The apparent shedding is amazing when you take those out.)

lapushka
October 21st, 2014, 03:39 PM
I agree with not pulling it too tighly. Your hair should be long enough for styles not to be pulled too tightly when worn up. Maybe your follicles are still getting used to the whole situation. If you don't bun too tightly, then it will not cause breakage. I've been wearing my hair up since APL or thereabouts and my hairline hasn't thinned out one bit. I'm TBL currently, and still wearing it up practically 24/7.

You will notice more hair coming out, but that's because the hair has nowhere to go. It stays in the updo the entire day, whereas with loose hair, sheds just fall out and you'll never notice (until you clean).

Madora
October 21st, 2014, 04:28 PM
I recently began wearing hair sticks daily and braiding nightly as my hair has gotten longer and I would like to see if this aids in healthier hair as I grow. I know already it keeps knots at bay which means less combing and potential split ends. My concern with wearing it up all the time is the constant pulling at my temples and nape when I bun. Can this cause breakage on the hairline? I have also noticed losing hair when I take it down at night and morning to comb but could this just be natural hair fall that I just dont see because my hair isnt down? Or could wearing it up be causing the hair fall? This isn't a mass amount of hair fall but its probably 30 or so I'm pulling out of the shower drain after I take my hair down in the morning and as i shampoo as well . Anyone else have these problems who keep their hair up? Is it pretty normal? Should I try keeping it looser when i wear it up during the day?

I should add that I really didn't notice as much hair fall when I was wearing my hair down on a daily basis but of course I lost hair during the course of the day especially when i combed out tangles several times a day.

Wearing it up definitely aids in growth. I would never have reached knee if I didn't wear my hair up and braided all the time!

However, when creating updos, you must take pains to see that they do not pull unduly on the strands, especially the strands located in the very front and sides of your head. Those hairs are more delicate than hairs located on your crown and you need to be gentle handling them.

Here is a method I developed that helps contain your hair w/o putting undue stress on your hair:

Bring all hair in front, like a curtain/detangle gently
2) Head should be down -- steeply
3) Divide hair in 3 sections, begin to braid slightly loosely (either Dutch or English style. 4 strands if you're really dexterous/adventurous)
4) Braid down to end/fasten with elastic...or leave loose
(I don't fasten with anything and only braid until I have about 2 inches of tassel left
5) Take the braid. Hold it flat against your head with your hand. Use the other hand to pin it with crimped hairpins in the 4 directions. Tuck in tassel
6) Bingo: one handy dandy single braided bun!

How to use Crimped Hairpins:

1) Put the crimped hairpin through the outside edge of the braid or bun. The feet of the hairpin should be facing OUT, away from the bun
2) PIVOT the pin down to the scalp, turning slightly towards bun as you scrape up a tiny bit of scalp hair with the pin
3) Weave the pin with the scalp hair into the center of the bun in an up and down motion. Don't just stick it in straight. That way never holds for long!
4) Use crimped hairpins at the 4 directions: North/South/East/West. If you need more, use 'em!
5) Wash your crimped hairpins once a month.

crimped hairpins are very easy to put in/take out. BE SURE the feet of each pin has a little "ball" at the end! This is much more hair friendly than crimped pins whose feet do not have "balls" on the ends!
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/92214Howtousehairpinsindoublebraidbun.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/92214Howtousehairpinsindoublebraidbun.jpg.html)

ZeppHead
October 21st, 2014, 05:28 PM
Wearing it up definitely aids in growth. I would never have reached knee if I didn't wear my hair up and braided all the time!

However, when creating updos, you must take pains to see that they do not pull unduly on the strands, especially the strands located in the very front and sides of your head. Those hairs are more delicate than hairs located on your crown and you need to be gentle handling them.

Here is a method I developed that helps contain your hair w/o putting undue stress on your hair:

Bring all hair in front, like a curtain/detangle gently
2) Head should be down -- steeply
3) Divide hair in 3 sections, begin to braid slightly loosely (either Dutch or English style. 4 strands if you're really dexterous/adventurous)
4) Braid down to end/fasten with elastic...or leave loose
(I don't fasten with anything and only braid until I have about 2 inches of tassel left
5) Take the braid. Hold it flat against your head with your hand. Use the other hand to pin it with crimped hairpins in the 4 directions. Tuck in tassel
6) Bingo: one handy dandy single braided bun!

How to use Crimped Hairpins:

1) Put the crimped hairpin through the outside edge of the braid or bun. The feet of the hairpin should be facing OUT, away from the bun
2) PIVOT the pin down to the scalp, turning slightly towards bun as you scrape up a tiny bit of scalp hair with the pin
3) Weave the pin with the scalp hair into the center of the bun in an up and down motion. Don't just stick it in straight. That way never holds for long!
4) Use crimped hairpins at the 4 directions: North/South/East/West. If you need more, use 'em!
5) Wash your crimped hairpins once a month.

crimped hairpins are very easy to put in/take out. BE SURE the feet of each pin has a little "ball" at the end! This is much more hair friendly than crimped pins whose feet do not have "balls" on the ends!
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/92214Howtousehairpinsindoublebraidbun.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/92214Howtousehairpinsindoublebraidbun.jpg.html)

Thank you for this advice I will try this braid tomorrow!

squirrrel
October 23rd, 2014, 03:21 AM
What a great tutorial! Looking forwards to attempting something of the sort, once I grab some hairpins! :)

dogzdinner
October 23rd, 2014, 03:48 AM
yeah, I think you just notice hair fall more when you have it up all the time! Ive found that it takes time to adjust to wearing it up alot though. I started being super protective with mine by bunning during the day and plaiting at night but found that I had a permanently tender scalp. Now I leave it loose at night and just keep it up during the day, this works for me as I dont get that tangly when Im sleeping! Its just down to experimenting with what works best fo you.