PDA

View Full Version : Question for Madora re: mineral oil

Juliet15
October 21st, 2014, 08:35 AM
Madora,

I read a reply to a post where you suggested a small amount of mineral oil to tame frizz. So, since I have a bottle of mineral oil, I am wondering exactly how you use it. Do you apply it to wet, damp or dry hair. Thanks in advance. :D

Juliet15
October 21st, 2014, 08:51 AM
Well good grief, right after I posted this I went to the conventional hair products thread and there is a HUGE post re: mineral/baby oil. Sorry I didn't look there sooner. Still very new at this!! My apologies for a completely unnecessary post.

DreamSheep
October 21st, 2014, 09:51 AM
If you want to ask a specific member a question - I think you can send them a PM (you have over 25 posts so if I remember well you should probably have permission to do it now).

I find it doesn't have to be baby oil, coconut oil or any other type of oil (or even misted water), can do the job. :) Just a drop on the finger tips will do - if you have lots of hair, you may need more. Always better to apply more after than apply too much though.

swearnsue
October 21st, 2014, 11:15 AM
I'm sure Madora will answer as soon as she sees this thread. In the meantime, I remember the mineral oil discovery time and there is something about the mineral oil that is anti-static. It's different than other oils, works as a sealant and anti-static.

I use it during low humidity weather. I just put a tiny drop on my ends right after washing my hair, when it is still more than damp. It washes out next wash without any problem.

Madora will explain it better. I remember she did a Q-Tip experiment of some kind!

swearnsue
October 21st, 2014, 11:16 AM
I'm sure Madora will answer as soon as she sees this thread. In the meantime, I remember the mineral oil discovery time and there is something about the mineral oil that is anti-static. It's different than other oils, works as a sealant and anti-static.

I use it during low humidity weather. I just put a tiny drop on my ends right after washing my hair, when it is still more than damp. It washes out next wash without any problem.

Madora will explain it better. I remember she did a Q-Tip experiment of some kind!

Madora
October 24th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Madora,

I read a reply to a post where you suggested a small amount of mineral oil to tame frizz. So, since I have a bottle of mineral oil, I am wondering exactly how you use it. Do you apply it to wet, damp or dry hair. Thanks in advance. :D

Hi, Juliet15! Sorry, but I didn't see your post until now!

Assuming your bottle of mineral oil only contains the MO plus a fragrance (and nothing else, because additives make the MO less effective), here's how to use it:

Place 2 drops (no more) in a small container (I use an old bottle cap). Then take a q-tip (baby swab) and moosh it around in the oil. Then apply the oil soaked swab all over your palms and fingers. Then run your hands through your hair, concentrating on the crown and sides.

Ktani, former LHC hair guru, taught me all about MO and while I don't use it for frizzies, I do love it because it is a great detangler. It washes out easily in your next shampoo and is very lightweight and doesn't leave any after scent.

It is recommended to use MO sparingly because it spreads so well! If you want to use 3 drops, then be my guest. I use 4 drops when detangling.

Oh, and never put the MO on your hair straight out of the bottle! Always apply it to your hands, then to your hair. Good luck!

lunalocks
October 24th, 2014, 09:15 AM
I keep my MO (generic baby oil) in a small spritz bottle and 1 to 2 spritzes is all it takes. I spritz on my hands, rub them together and apply to my ends, or length to tame the frizz.

hanne jensen
November 13th, 2014, 06:37 AM
After reading Madora's reply, I bought some unscented baby oil. I don't think it's MO. It contains Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Simmondsia Chinesis Seed Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil, Tocopherol. My hair loves it! My hair is so easy to detangle now. I don't even have to use conditioner after hairwash, just a few drops of this oil and no more tangles.
I just hope that there's nothing harmful to hair in this stuff.

RachelRose
December 25th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I love mineral oil too it beings my hair back to silk after my no cones experiment grrr lol did not work for me . I also use it after I redampen my ends when they're dry and it's amazing how well this stuff works :)