PDA

View Full Version : Hairdresser thinned instead of layered, need suggestions :)

MathnSkating
October 20th, 2014, 11:18 PM
I am so sad. I have been growing my hair out for about a year and a half and it is bsl length now, which is awesome. I have incredibly thick hair and I realized it needed to be layered out and I wanted to try out some bangs because I let mine grow out and I liked having them. Instead if giving me the long layers like I asked my hair dresser thinned my hair out!!!! I'm legally blind and I didn't realize that's what she was doing. I got home and stared playing with it and it feels so weird! The top feels thick, but the bottom is so whispy, when I look at it on the mirror it looks like a mullet. I mean. I don't think it actually looks like a mullet but the top is thicker. I'm scared it won't be able look good in a French braid or buns anymore. I am so sad! I know it will grow out but I feel like I've wasted a year and a half worth of growth because it was thinned so much. Like it will look weird when it grows in because there will be so much hair up top. Does anyone have suggestions for how to handle it as it grows back? The thickness of my hair was kind of what made putting it up so fun :( in totally bummed out. All I wanted was some long layers to make it lighter and bangs. I'm trying super hard not to completely freak out. I'm really sensitive about my hair. It still has the salon sleek thing going on so I'm praying when I wash it, it will puff out a bit and look more normal... :'(

Chiaroscuro
October 20th, 2014, 11:31 PM
I'm so sorry that you are so sad. My hair is very different from yours so I can't suggest a solution. But hopefully by tomorrow, people with hair similar to yours will have suggestions. Till then H_U_G_S.

Hotrox
October 21st, 2014, 05:12 AM
I'm sorry you are unhappy with your haircut, many of us have also been there and can sympathise, It's a horrible feeling but it's probably not as bad as you think it is.

I would suggest a period of micro trimming, perhaps half your monthly growth for a set period of time to try and get your hemline thickened up again.

Are you able to cut your own hair? You coud try the compact cut technique in the future to give yourself some layers and Feyes method for the ends until you've grown out the thinning. If your eyesight allows it self trimming is the way to go, or perhaps a trusted frind could help you out.

lapushka
October 21st, 2014, 06:27 AM
Apart from wearing it up and microtrimming, I have no advice for you. That sucks though, big time. A hairdresser should know the difference between layering and thinning the hair out with thinning shears. No?

:grouphug:

kganihanova
October 21st, 2014, 06:43 AM
It might be left over salon sleek. Let's hope it's that. Otherwise just keep it up and don't look at it. And microtrim as soon as you feel okay doing so.

jupiterinleo
October 21st, 2014, 10:12 AM
Aagh, this happened to me too! It's the worst. I'm still growing out that mess, years later. It's a lot better now, though. I don't have much for advice, but I just wanna say that you're not alone.

AmyBeth
October 21st, 2014, 10:20 AM
I'm sorry you feel bad. Everybody has probably had a similar experience. Of course, I'm no exception. Microtrimming and doing your best to just ignore what you don't like is all we can do. You are lucky to have such thick luxurious hair! It will grow, and it will seem to grow faster if you're not watching it, like the watched pot never boils:p.

Skade
October 21st, 2014, 10:32 AM
I´m so sorry. We´ve all been there some time. It sucks and I have no advice to give except time and patience to grow it out again. Hugs!

UniqueWabbit
October 21st, 2014, 10:40 AM
I am so sad. I have been growing my hair out for about a year and a half and it is bsl length now, which is awesome. I have incredibly thick hair and I realized it needed to be layered out and I wanted to try out some bangs because I let mine grow out and I liked having them. Instead if giving me the long layers like I asked my hair dresser thinned my hair out!!!! I'm legally blind and I didn't realize that's what she was doing. I got home and stared playing with it and it feels so weird! The top feels thick, but the bottom is so whispy, when I look at it on the mirror it looks like a mullet. I mean. I don't think it actually looks like a mullet but the top is thicker. I'm scared it won't be able look good in a French braid or buns anymore. I am so sad! I know it will grow out but I feel like I've wasted a year and a half worth of growth because it was thinned so much. Like it will look weird when it grows in because there will be so much hair up top. Does anyone have suggestions for how to handle it as it grows back? The thickness of my hair was kind of what made putting it up so fun :( in totally bummed out. All I wanted was some long layers to make it lighter and bangs. I'm trying super hard not to completely freak out. I'm really sensitive about my hair. It still has the salon sleek thing going on so I'm praying when I wash it, it will puff out a bit and look more normal... :'(

Seriously, I would sue the salon for enough money to buy a wig until it grows back. I feel so terrible for you! I HATE hairdressers. I really do. Ok I hate bad hairdressers but good ones are really REALLY hard to find. And then they move...I am in the same boat with suddenly having hair way less than expected and wanted. I would use lots of bandanas, myself because there's not much you can do. Hoping the next year goes fast!

lapushka
October 21st, 2014, 03:58 PM
Next time, at BSL and beyond, consider a home-cut. May not do you much good now, but it's worth to think about. All you need is someone to assist you, to cut the hair off. It's not that difficult if they follow the instructions, and the instructions online are solid. Better than another big disappointment.

I'm really sorry, though. I had my iii hair thinned once with thinning shears. It hurt (she pulled at the roots, it was a pixie cut), and my hair was cut to the scalp.

MathnSkating
October 30th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the replies :) I let myself think on it for a while, trying to figure out how messed up it was. It's.. Not good. It'll be a long time before my hair will be able to look the way it did. I'll have to spend at least a year growing it out and it is totally useless to me as far as donations go. It's too uneven in length I won't be able to get a good pony. I think I'll go with the micro cut idea. I'm mostly irritated because I am super careful about my hair! I keep it braided and protected, never using heat or harsh products, and I'm frustrated that all the work I put in to keep it nice for donation is all wasted. Arg! It's like starting over on a big project that got ruined, so irritating!!! Ah well. The adventure begins again!

allierat
October 31st, 2014, 04:02 AM
I'm so sorry you're unhappy with your cut. I've only ever twice been to a hairdressers and both times came back with something different to what I wanted so I just cut my hair myself and did even when it was short. Microtrimming like others have said sounds a good idea. Hopefully it won't take as long as you think to be happy with your hair again.