PDA

View Full Version : A self-trim to produce a curl-under effect?

LauraLongLocks
October 20th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Inverted layering or undercutting is the actual term for it. Does anyone know how to achieve this in a self-trim? I would like my hair to naturally curl under slightly and I do not believe it would involve a huge undercut to get this effect... maybe even a half-inch difference between the outermost long layer and the innermost short layer. I've been using Feye's self-trim method for a blunt cut, and have been putting my chin to chest while sliding my ponytail holder down the length in hopes of eventually producing a slight undercut, but I don't know if there is a more effective way. Is this something I might need to do at a salon if it is super important to me? It's not. I just would prefer hair that naturally tends to curl under at the hemline if possible. I would be more afraid of getting something I don't want at a salon, so for the moment, a salon visit isn't an option I would consider.

Ingrid
October 21st, 2014, 02:06 AM
My hair does that too. When I was younger, my mum would cut it for me to keep the ends curled under. She did this by having me gradually and progressively lean my head forward and trimming a little at every stage. That way the underlying layers of the hair ended up shorter than the canopy. Maybe you can ask a trusted family member to do that for you? I'm not really sure if it can be achieved effectively with a self-trim.

unknown
October 21st, 2014, 03:11 AM
I know there is a tutorial on MyHairstyleMagazine's youtube channel, although I'm not sure how to do it on yourself.

Nanna
October 22nd, 2014, 01:11 AM
I think I would section off the upper layer of hair and trim an inch off the underlayer, then trim half an inch from the upper layer. Or however much you trim, you get the picture. :)

The problem with this is of course that it has to be done with every trim, otherwise you would very quickly lose the length difference again...

lapushka
October 22nd, 2014, 04:24 AM
Inverted layering or undercutting is the actual term for it. Does anyone know how to achieve this in a self-trim? I would like my hair to naturally curl under slightly and I do not believe it would involve a huge undercut to get this effect... maybe even a half-inch difference between the outermost long layer and the innermost short layer. I've been using Feye's self-trim method for a blunt cut, and have been putting my chin to chest while sliding my ponytail holder down the length in hopes of eventually producing a slight undercut, but I don't know if there is a more effective way. Is this something I might need to do at a salon if it is super important to me? It's not. I just would prefer hair that naturally tends to curl under at the hemline if possible. I would be more afraid of getting something I don't want at a salon, so for the moment, a salon visit isn't an option I would consider.

I think bending your head forward, when doing Feye's actually does this to an extent. Otherwise, on hair that long, I don't think it's that realistic because of the length it's never going to lay the same each time you wash or comb (coming from updos and whatnot).