PDA

View Full Version : Curly Girl Method

mariazelie
October 20th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I have seen references to the Curly Girl Method and I can't find out what it is. Can someone tell me where to find it?:pumpkin:

Nadine <3
October 20th, 2014, 08:56 PM
I did a little searching around and found this.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/no-poo/the-curly-girl-method-for-coily-hair/#!slide1
I think it explains it fairly well :) Let us know if you have questions. I'm not a genius on the subject (hence why I googled it lol) but there are some really knowledgeable people here that can answer more in depth than I can. I hope this helps a bit!

jeanniet
October 20th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Curly Girl is a method for getting the most out of natural waves and curls, but if your hair is 1a it won't really do anything for you. Essentially, you CO wash, use a leave in and usually gel, then scrunch and air dry without touching. Detangling is done in the shower, and hair is otherwise left alone or at most finger detangled (wavies). The idea is that wavy/curly hair needs plenty of moisture, so getting more in will enhance what's naturally there, but it won't make straight hair wavier.

Alexa
October 20th, 2014, 10:01 PM
The name "Curly Girl" comes from this (www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Handbook-Michele-Bender/dp/076115678X) book. But the phrase has come to encompass the general philosophy of embracing your natural texture, whatever that may be, and taking good care of your hair, so the beauty of that natural texture can shine. It's very complimentary to the vibe around here, actually, and I spent a LOT of time over at naturallycurly.com before making my way to LHC, because even though my hair is barely wavy, following many of the usual "Curly Girl" recommendations (avoiding sulfates and silicones, using (lightweight, in my case) gels, air-drying or gently diffusing, etc.) have done wonders for my fine hair. Although it doesn't use the "Curly Girl" name, this (http://livecurlylivefree.com/curly-hair-basics/) is my favorite website discussing the basics of the philosophy.

fiğrildi
October 21st, 2014, 04:22 AM
This link is also helpful: http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

But being 1a, I don't think it will do much for you. It works for people who already have natural wavy or curly hair, it will not magically give you waves all of a sudden :shrug:
You could try though, maybe you'll end up loving the co-washing method.

mariazelie
October 21st, 2014, 07:23 AM
This link is also helpful: http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

But being 1a, I don't think it will do much for you. It works for people who already have natural wavy or curly hair, it will not magically give you waves all of a sudden :shrug:
You could try though, maybe you'll end up loving the co-washing method.
Thanks to all of you who have replied so quickly. I want to read all the things you have posted for the Curly Girl Method. I was curious about it because I have had such a hard time defining my hair. As you said,as a 1a, it probably won't do much for me. That's just it, I do have a wave pattern, sometimes a distinct s pattern, especially when my hair is wet. The one thing that I can define is that my hair is baby fine. The invisible kind of fine. I just wanted to investigate a bit of this so thank you all for directing me. I did try the CO washing method once about two years ago and I loved it at first and then ended up with the most dreadful dry, tangled locks. Not sure what went wrong there, except have seen lots of posts about protein and such. I have hair that "velcros" as discussed in the current thread about tangling. After all these years I have just in the past three months found a method, here on LCF that works for me. That is using lots more conditioner than I ever had and detangling under the running water in the shower. It has released me from the bondage of the matted tangled mess I had before. I alternate with Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship shampoo and Conditioner and Juice Organics Pomsmooth shampoo and conditioner. Anyone have any comments on this? For the most part I can now keep my hair tangle free while dry, as long as I detangle every day at least once. I wear my APL hair up most of the time. Having it down on a rough fabric or wool sweater or scarf would literally "felt" my hair in the places it touched. I can't deal with that mess! Thanks again, all, I will read. This forum has helped me in so many ways.