PDA

View Full Version : How To Transition from CG method to Cones? Should I?

Atira
October 20th, 2014, 07:44 PM
So I have been doing the curly girl method for about 7 years. And it worked great when my hair was shoulder-bsl.. but now that my hair is brushing hip, I'm feeling like maybe I
d like to try cones again, light ones. My hair is fragile from dye (10 months dye free!) and also from not trimming in five years. It is fine and maybe 2A and thin. As it gets longer, it seems like it curls less, and the ends straighten out a lot now. How should I try out cones, what kinds are best with my hair type, and I'm just all around lost! I ned recommendations on shampoo, conditioner, and products!

Beckstar
October 20th, 2014, 07:46 PM
What products did you use before going curly girl? Maybe try them again?

Atira
October 20th, 2014, 07:54 PM
I don't even remember. It's been too long. Whaever was cheap, no doubt. lol. Maybe John Frieda?

Eastbound&Down
October 21st, 2014, 01:34 PM
Herbal Essence is a good route to go. They are pretty inexpensive and work really well. Hello Hydration and Long Term Relationship have good reviews (I use LTR because I like the smell :))

lapushka
October 21st, 2014, 03:21 PM
I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, it's got good slip, it's an easy detangler and I think it's got one (possible two) silicone(s). I'm talking about the conditioner here, though. Not sure about the shampoo.

amanda_the_tall
October 21st, 2014, 06:30 PM
I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, it's got good slip, it's an easy detangler and I think it's got one (possible two) silicone(s). I'm talking about the conditioner here, though. Not sure about the shampoo.

I tried the shampoo before (multiple times actually) and it always resulted in waxy coated feeling hair... not good. OP maybe try using just cones on the length of your hair? I've used Pantene Beautiful Lengths and it doesn't seem to build up that much, but makes my hair super silky. Or maybe try a spray leave-in, I've used Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition leave-in which has cones and oils in it and it was lovely.

Imalath
October 21st, 2014, 06:47 PM
I struggled with CG and the scalp issues it gave me for about six months before I gave up and went back to my old routine, with the same products. I still had partial bottles of my old products stashed under the bathroom sink, so I went back to them. I use suave professional products; the almond and shea butter version is what I have now, but I also like the scent of the macadamia and orchid. Can't say I picked them out for any real reason for my hair--they were in my price range that day and I liked the scent.

Luckily for me, my hair seems to like them quite a bit. I get good body and shine with them, and my scalp stays pretty happy. I use them with a dollop of cheap vo5 as a leave-in, sealed with a dab of coconut oil while my hair is still drippy. By using the tricks I learned from CG for setting my curls (scrunching, plopping, etc) I still get nice waves and wurls despite the weight of the cones and a lack of any curl-holding products.

Don't be afraid to experiment until you get the results you like though! I am still playing with the products I am using, but I always keep my suave under the sink in case of disasters.

CurlyCap
October 21st, 2014, 11:25 PM
I started to use cones again to cowash at about hip. I needed the slip suddenly and it was WONDERFUL to use cones.

I've noticed that if I stay cone-free with leave ins, I don't have a build up problem and my hair stays well-moisturized. My curl pattern is back to where I like it and far more manageable.

Cones are evil if you know the pros and cons. Good luck!