PDA

View Full Version : anyone know at all?

mamaherrera
October 20th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Just wondering, if anyone knows from a report or study or something, once a hair falls out, how long does it take for a new baby hair to actually pop up in the pore?? Just curious, because I've had a couple "empty" pores for two months, and I think they're just starting to show up, I think, if they are they are super small. And I"m not crazy, it's just cuz they're right at my front hairline, and I noticed "like more space between the hairs" and my hubbie said, no some hairs just fell out, because I see the pores, so I just checked to see if something had come back.

Zindell
October 21st, 2014, 03:17 AM
This is from Wikipedias article on Human hair growth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_growth#Telogen_phase):

"During the telogen, or resting, phase the follicle remains dormant anywhere from 1–4 months. Ten to fifteen percent of the hairs on one's head are in this phase of growth at any given time. In this phase the epidermal cells lining the follicle channel continue to grow as normal and may accumulate around the base of the hair, temporarily anchoring it in place and preserving the hair for its natural purpose without taxing the body's resources needed during the growth phase.
At some point, the follicle will begin to grow again, softening the anchor point of the shaft initially. The hair base will break free from the root and the hair will be shed. Within two weeks the new hair shaft will begin to emerge.
The anagen phase begins again once the telogen phase is complete. The process results in normal hair loss known as shedding."

I guess it could take up to four months if your hair strand fell out prematurely. :)

mamaherrera
October 21st, 2014, 06:46 AM
Hey there Zindell---I appreciate you taking the time to find that. It helps alleviate my fears, since I did have a baby, maybe some fell out before their time from that or something. Thanks so much. My husband did take a look and he said it was black below the surface, so I'm assuming that there is a hair there. Thanks so much! :toast:

But I do hope that is what it is, because like I said, it's been two months, and from what you said, within two weeks the new hair should emerge. But reading it closer (what you sent) it sounds like it almost had to have been "pulled out" not just shed normally, so now I don't know if it's good news or bad, what you sent me to read, but at least it gave me some information. It sounds like the 4 months it lies dormant, the hair is still anchored in place. Ok. .. . . (slowly understanding it now), well I guess I can only hope it came out with a yank or something, kind of unusual. wishful thinking it might be!