PDA

View Full Version : Recent hair success! Might help if you're experimenting with cones!

Nadine <3
October 20th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Hiya! So ever since joining I've been experimenting on and off with cones with very little success. Every coney product I put in my fine, thin hair left it flat, stringy and sad. So cone free I was until I decided to take my favorite coney conditioner (for the smell, my hair doesn't have a favorite coney anything lol) that I had laying around and whipped it half and half with coconut oil. I already use coconut oil to seal in moisture after a shower so I knew that worked well.

I've used this as part of the LOC method twice now. I wash with diluted shampoo, condition with sauve naturals, squeeze out the water with a tshirt and spray in my leave in (kiss my face condish diluted with water) and then I tie it up in my turbie. After I take it out I rub a pea sized amount of my coney coconut stuff between my hands and rake it into my hair. Then I use another pea sized amount rubbed between my palms and focus it on my ends. Twice now my hair has come out nice using this method! I'm hoping the cones will over a bit my protection for my damaged layers and seal the splits so they don't get worse as my hair grows. Once I get ride of all my layers I will look at going cone free, but for right now this is fantastic!

I hope this helps anyone else who might be trying to figure out how to use a coney product in their routine :) :toast:

swearnsue
October 20th, 2014, 04:18 PM
What a good idea for us with F i hair! Thank you. It's hard to get just the right amount of cones to balance between protecting and detangling and gross and stringy!

Chiaroscuro
October 20th, 2014, 04:20 PM
My hair is totally different from yours, but I like the way you listen to your hair, and I really like the way you thought through the issue in order to come up with a custom-made solution that is perfect for your hair type. Thanks for sharing!

Nadine <3
October 20th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks guys! If you decide to try it out swearnsue let me know how it goes for you! I did my first batch half and half (very small amount that I store in a small lip balm container) but you could use more conditioner or more coconut oil depending on how your hair responds. Or course you could also use any oil your hair likes as well :)

meteor
October 20th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Sounds very promising! :D And I'm glad it works so well, Nadine<3! How do you whip such a small amount? Is there a way to do it without a blender? :)

winship2
October 20th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Wow, smart experiment and great that you're having success. Thanks for passing the tip on!

Nadine <3
October 20th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Sounds very promising! :D And I'm glad it works so well, Nadine<3! How do you whip such a small amount? Is there a way to do it without a blender? :)

The jar of coconut oil I have in my bathroom I had already whipped so I should have clarified that sorry! I use an electric hand beater when I whip it. First I tried whipping it with just a fork and it hardened into a block again. Then I tried doing it in the blender and it got to warm and the oil melted and refused to whip. Using a hand beater gives you the consistency of frosting :) Just make sure it is solid when you go to mix it!

But yeah, then I just mixed up the coconut oil and the conditioner with a spoon :)

Nadine <3
October 20th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Wow, smart experiment and great that you're having success. Thanks for passing the tip on!

You are very welcome :)

MsPharaohMoan
October 20th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Interesting… I have nothing on me that has cones, but I would be interested in trying this on the last third of my hair (where the layers are) and only oil the second third. I'm curious as to how quickly the product builds up on your hair compared to before you used it.

ETA: I eat my words. After posting this an old 'glossing serum' popped up. Ingredients are as follows: … Hot dog! I can try this out!

Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Buxus Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Limonene, Fragrance, Linalool, Citral, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Geraniol, Citronellol, Eugenol, Isoeugenol.

Nadine <3
October 20th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Hm, I hope it doesn't cause build up! :confused: I use a diluted sulfate shampoo to keep my scalp happy so I should be okay. I'll keep an eye on it and clarify if I do run into trouble! I'm happy you're going to try it out! Let us know how it goes for you! :)