PDA

View Full Version : Hair getting wavy as I age??

winship2
October 19th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I have always had quite straight but not stick straight hair, like 1b. It's also always been bobbed, so I never had the chance to see a wave. It's been "long", i.e. shoulder-plus, for the last 2 1/2 years, and when I began to wash more gently-- thanks, LHC!-- the 1b character became more discernible. It's waist-length now, and I just turned 40, and I think that what had been only one wave between my earlobes and shoulderblades is now two waves between my earlobes and bra strap. I've noticed individual shed hairs showing more wave, varying between 1b and 2b. I've always wanted more wave, so I'm excited at the possibility, but I'm also suspicious of my own observation in case it's wishful thinking.

Is developing more wave something that happens fairly often, and does it make sense that it would appear as gradually increasing number of "wave units" as the hair grows?

Beckstar
October 19th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Hair can change texture as we get older or experience hormonal changes. Some people with straight hair can go curly when they hit their teens and have a major hormonal surge during puberty. Same when we get older and go through other hormonal changes. It is possible.

winship2
October 19th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Hm, life is bringing me a lot of changes this year. It would be fun to have my hair change too!

lunalocks
October 19th, 2014, 08:15 PM
this happened to me! Always considered my hair pretty straight, but in my 40s started to notice waves. Went out in the mist rain one afternoon to rake leaves and ended up with really kinky hair. That was BSL and when I was about 47 or 48. Hormones to blame? Now if I air dry I have waves that look like it has been braided with some waves close to spirals.

Giving up cones and slick conditioners helped the waves. My grays are coming in really kinky too.

I had wanted curly hair all my life but about the time this appeared my hair was starting to get longer and I thought I would have that perfect straight hair. The wave started at the back of my head and sort of on the Right. Not what I wanted at the time but now it has spread to all my hair. That streak in the back is still the waviest.

winship2
October 19th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Wow, Lunalocks! Did it take a while for you to adjust to such a different look?

hennalonghair
October 19th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Yes hair texture can change but the very fact that you are caring for it Nd treating it more gently has probably helped a lot also.
Plus you might have a long wave pattern. I have waves and ringlets and if my hair is too short it doesn't allow this pattern to show .anyway its nice that you are embrassing your waves.

winship2
October 19th, 2014, 09:29 PM
The other thing I notice is that the ends of new growth is curling up and out...

ReneeG
October 19th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Mine got wavy when o dealt wi a hormonal balance and had to go onto hormonal birth control all the time. Still is wavy a few years later! It was very straight up until I hit about 20/21 and now I'm a 2a/2b

ReneeG
October 19th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Side note: hennalonghair your siggie is amazing! I LOVE the color, I did a double - triple take its so vivid!

hennalonghair
October 19th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Side note: hennalonghair your siggie is amazing! I LOVE the color, I did a double - triple take its so vivid!

Thank you! :)

Elletoday
October 20th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Mine has done the opposite- it went straight with age~

fiğrildi
October 20th, 2014, 03:48 AM
My hair has definitely changed texture too. It used to be 1c, and it turned "frizzy" when I hit my teen years. It's been 2a or 2b since then :p

lapushka
October 20th, 2014, 04:48 AM
Show us a picture, so we can maybe tell for sure. :flower:

momschicklets
October 20th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Mine has definitely changed....my hair used to be stick straight and smooth and shiny :) Now it's quite wavy and course. I really noticed it the closer I got to age 40, and after I stopped abusing it and brushing the hell out of it.

purplevickie
October 20th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Mine has got wavier and thicker as I've aged. Photos of me as a child show I had pin-straight, quite fine, flyaway hair... I'm now 32 and it's much thicker, with a random tendency to wave depending on what what I wash it with and how it feels that day.

Stellaaa
October 20th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Another wavy-with-age person here. :waving:
In my younger years my hair was 1a F, it wouldn't even take a curl with a perm. I'm talking STRAIGHT! Hair!. But my greys came in coarse and frizzy . And then when I stopped using cones, and brushing when wet and other such abuse, it got quite wavy. 1c/2a wavy. Thicker and poofy, the hair I *thought* I wanted when my hair was thinner and flat. But we always want what we haven't got, don't we?

Redvelvetdragon
October 20th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I guess I've always had a bit of a wave when I was a kid, but I also have a lot of photos with stick straight and black hair that wouldn't hold a curl for long. Now at 48 my hair has a couple of distinct S waves and it's lightened up to an espresso color. Hmmm. I like the wave though. :)

winship2
October 20th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Yep. I'm working from home today so I hairtyped, and I think I've become a 1c. This explains the halo effect new growth has been causing, and, I think, also is one reason I've been suffering from tangles-- I've been combing on through my hair as though it was straighter than it really is. (I think the other is that I need judicious application of protein, not just the moisturizing routine I've had). OK, 1c is no 2b or 2c, but how can I encourage the little wave I'm developing?

Nadine <3
October 20th, 2014, 05:51 PM
My best friend had Shirley Temple curls up until she hit 18. Now she has some waves, but she revers to them as a "wavey disappointment" Most of her hair has gone straight. I got her into CO washing and not brushing it but she still can't get anything more than a wave and it isn't consistent either. From her ears up will wave and the rest or it (from her ears to he waist) will have wavey bits and straight bits. It's rather odd and I feel bad because she misses her curls. People used to call her Hermione.

Avis
October 20th, 2014, 06:33 PM
As a child/young teen, my hair was slightly wavy, maybe 1c/2a. When I was about 15 I started straightening it and that's when I noticed it started changing. By the time I stopped straightening regularly, it was how it is now (2c) but I still brushed it so it was poofy and less wavy.

Nadine<3, I have a friend with a similar story. She always had these beautiful light brown/golden 3b curls but when we got to middle school, she started straightening it and once we got to high school, she said that her curls were gone. Her natural texture now is around 2c/3a if I had to guess.