PDA

View Full Version : The Deep Conditioning/Treatment Check-in Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

LauraLongLocks
October 19th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I need a place where I have some accountability to check in every time I deep condition. I mean to deep condition every week, but sometimes more than a month passes without deep conditioning. So, this is a place to check in while you marinade in your deep treatment of choice.

Please list in your post what you are using on your hair, how often you use it (or if it is your first try), how long you leave it in, and of course, photos are always welcome! Tell us what you like about it or how you think your treatment helps your hair, too.

I'll start:

After I finish this post, I'm headed to use my spray bottle and dampen my hair from the ears down with plain water. Then I am going to use SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment... 4 parts conditioner, 1 part honey, 1 part aloe vera gel) with the conditioner in it as Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Conditioner. I don't bother deep conditioning above the ears. Then a plastic processing cap and a towel over the top to hold the heat in. I have a cordless heat cap that you put in the microwave to warm it, but it's kind of a pain to use. I can never get my hair to fit neatly into it. I'll probably go 30-60 minutes marinading like that and then go take a shower and get dressed for the day (in pajamas right now... so comfy).

Like I said, I try to deep condition every week. I actually DID deep condition last week, so I'm on a roll doing it again today. I like how soft and smooth my ends are after doing this SMT.

Things I want to try - catnip tea, and considering a protein treatment. I do use Mane n Tail once a week and Organix Coconut Conditioner with Egg Protein every other week for a few minutes of protein in the shower, but have never used a protein deep treatment.

LadyCelestina
October 19th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Good thread! I might join since I could benefit from more structure in my routine,but so far I don't know exactly how long my hair can go without needing a DT. Every week seems like a lot,maybe every two or three weeks? Once a month?
I did my DT last week and so far my hair feels ok.I'll lurk this thread until DT time comes :popcorn:

jaquelines
October 19th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Don't know if this qualifies as a DT, but I wash my hair once a week and if nothing comes in between use to do oiling a few hours before, then apply SMT, rinse out, shampoo, SMT, vinegar rinse. Sometimes between the shampoo and last SMT, I use coconut milk.

jupiterinleo
October 19th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Great thread idea!

I mean to deep condition every week, but sometimes more than a month passes without deep conditioning.

I do this also. A lot of times I accidentally go over 3 months without deep conditioning.

I do SMTs normally, but I usually modify it a little and add olive oil. In the winter, I scrap the humectants and replace them with really heavy leave-in type conditioners. I also love to add a super strong brew of Nettle tea to it.

I actually also want to do a protein treatment. I've never done one before and my hair seems to really need it. This week or the next I'll grab a couple of those Henna N Placenta packs from Sally Beauty Supply and do an SMT right after.

lapushka
October 19th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Does conditioning twice to even three times a wash count, if so then my hair's DT'd every week (with the (C)WCC method).

MsPharaohMoan
October 19th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Great thread idea!

I do this also. A lot of times I accidentally go over 3 months without deep conditioning.

I do SMTs normally, but I usually modify it a little and add olive oil. In the winter, I scrap the humectants and replace them with really heavy leave-in type conditioners. I also love to add a super strong brew of Nettle tea to it.

I actually also want to do a protein treatment. I've never done one before and my hair seems to really need it. This week or the next I'll grab a couple of those Henna N Placenta packs from Sally Beauty Supply and do an SMT right after.

I like to think I'm open minded, but this made my eyes bulge from my head :laugh:

Lately I've been considering using an indigo/conditioner mix on my ends to see if I can get them to match with my new growth, but I want to do at least one more deep condition/manic panic treatment for halloween (I'm going to be Leela from futurama! Mate won't be with me this halloween, but I asked him to be Fry ;) ) Normally I do just my pony tail, but I think I'll try doing my whole head this time! So I'm off to brew up a purpley deep conditioning treatment! :stirpot:

jupiterinleo
October 19th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I like to think I'm open minded, but this made my eyes bulge from my head :laugh:

I know! I felt the same way when I first saw it. It definitely made me go "WTF?" But I did a bunch of searching around and essentially it's the only option out there that I can buy directly from a store and isn't crazy expensive. I'll post about my results after I do the treatment.

jacqueline101
October 19th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I used to weekly hot oil treatment prior to shampooing then I'd shampoo follow by deep conditioning treatment. I loved it until my scalp got too oily. I also used leave in conditioner and serum. I use the wcc and I get double conditioners and I dropped the hot oil. My scalp has calmed down. I'm going to monthly deep conditioner just to use up my last two deep conditioners. When I deep conditioned I was using a different shampoo brand and it wasn't made for my hair it left it needing moisture.

FallingDarkness
October 19th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I need to deep condition soon too :(
I keep forgetting.
I really wanna try out an SMT but I can't find aloe vera gel (clear) ANYWHERE.

LauraLongLocks
October 19th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I need to deep condition soon too :(
I keep forgetting.
I really wanna try out an SMT but I can't find aloe vera gel (clear) ANYWHERE.

If you can find edible aloe vera juice, it will work.

Nadine <3
October 19th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I try to do a deep conditioning treatment often, although it doesn't always happen. Maybe this will get me to do it more!

Here's what I do for my treatment. My hair just LOVES it. I mix up some main and tail, one egg yolk, and some sort of oil or aloe, depending on the season. I pile it into wet hair, put a shopping bag (fancy!) and then a knit hat of tshirt over that to lock in the heat. I leave it in through a few episodes of Gilmore girls or How I met You Mother (my timing system is VERY sophisticated lol) and then I was and condition at normal.

I would do one tomorrow, but I'm really sick. I needed to wash today but it might end up in a bun on top of my head again. Depends how I feel/if it itches.

jupiterinleo
October 20th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I pile it into wet hair, put a shopping bag (fancy!) and then a knit hat of tshirt over that to lock in the heat.

That sounds like a great idea. Do you get any dripping down your neck or anything? I always get that when I put it up in a shower cap. Maybe your way is the way to go.

Jac
October 20th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I do a deep treatment once every week, either overnight coconut oil or just using my Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter mask. I've actually combined the two, leaving the mask on for 30 mins or so and then putting warmed coconut oil over it, and then letting that sit overnight. I had been doing SMTs every other week, but now that the season's changing and the air's getting dryer I worry about putting humectants in my hair. Since my ends are so damaged and dry, deep treatments are pretty necessary to make sure they don't become straw, haha.

kganihanova
October 20th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Does pre-wash coconut oiling count?

Nadine <3
October 20th, 2014, 12:48 PM
That sounds like a great idea. Do you get any dripping down your neck or anything? I always get that when I put it up in a shower cap. Maybe your way is the way to go.

As long as I don't leave my hair to wet. I usually use a cup to wet my hair in the sink and then squeeze the extra water out with a towel. If I forget to squeeze out the water it drips everywhere. I still get a little bit near my ears, but I think it's because my glasses make it so there is a gap. I just sit with a hand towel, just in case!

alishaxmarie
October 20th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I know! I felt the same way when I first saw it. It definitely made me go "WTF?" But I did a bunch of searching around and essentially it's the only option out there that I can buy directly from a store and isn't crazy expensive. I'll post about my results after I do the treatment.

Actually, plain gelatin is super cheap. You can get 4+ protein treatments in one small box of Knox brand gelatine for around $1 at Walmart and other grocery stores. Here's a link to 2 different recipes (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html). If you look at the link list, there is a recipe for a thicker protein treatment so that there is less dripping during/after application.

I've done the basic recipe once but only mixed the gelatin powder with water as I already had oil in my hair and then I let it air dry for 10-15 mins because I was worried about overdoing the protein although I think I should have left it in longer or tried applying heat to the treatment(blow-drying it on cool as Sciencey suggests).

Ordinarily, I do an overnight pre-wash oil treatment every week followed by a deep conditioning treatment such as an SMT or just some conditioner and water left in for 30+ mins before I CO-wash the oil away. However, I want to stray away from CO-washing as well as wash more often to test if conditioner and an overabundance of sebum (from not washing my scalp often enough) could be increasing my shed rate.

jupiterinleo
October 20th, 2014, 02:14 PM
@alishaxmarie, I never knew you could get gelatin from the store! Thanks for the link!

As long as I don't leave my hair to wet. I usually use a cup to wet my hair in the sink and then squeeze the extra water out with a towel. If I forget to squeeze out the water it drips everywhere. I still get a little bit near my ears, but I think it's because my glasses make it so there is a gap. I just sit with a hand towel, just in case!

I put on my treatment in the shower. My hair is definitely soaked when I do it. That's likely my problem, lol. I'll try with my hair not so wet next time.

alishaxmarie
October 20th, 2014, 02:34 PM
@alishaxmarie, I never knew you could get gelatin from the store! Thanks for the link!

I put on my treatment in the shower. My hair is definitely soaked when I do it. That's likely my problem, lol. I'll try with my hair not so wet next time.

It might be in the Hispanic/Ethnic food aisle or with the baking stuff (because I guess it can be used to make cheesecake? lol) so you may need to ask someone who works there, just be very clear that you do not want Jell-O brand because that has food coloring and sugar and who knows what else besides gelatin but I'm happy to help :)

LadyCelestina
October 26th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Guys,I did a coconut oil deep oiling and my hair came out weird so this is when I'm officially done with heavy oilings.I count this as a DT done

veryhairyfairy
October 26th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I like this idea because I always mean to do an oil soak before I wash, and then I forget/get too lazy.
Today is wash day and I'm currently marinating in two things under a shower cap and a winter hat;
coconut oil with peppermint oil on my scalp (it helps with my minor dandruff), and about a tablespoon of this (http://www.uncleharrys.com/store/creams-and-lotions/jojoba-cream) on the rest.

I'm trying to use up the jojoba cream because I don't really like the way it feels/looks on my face. It also doesn't work very well as a hair oil because it causes an over-oiled look with the tiniest amount, so maybe a DT will be the way to use it up before it goes bad.

I'll probably leave it on for about 4 hours and then wash as usual (scalp wash with sulfate free shampoo, condition-condition).

lapushka
October 26th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I'm trying to use up the jojoba cream because I don't really like the way it feels/looks on my face. It also doesn't work very well as a hair oil because it causes an over-oiled look with the tiniest amount, so maybe a DT will be the way to use it up before it goes bad.

I'll probably leave it on for about 4 hours and then wash as usual (scalp wash with sulfate free shampoo, condition-condition).

I hope the cream isn't too heavy and can be washed out in one go.

Wosie
October 26th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Oh, I actually happened to do a deep conditioning treatment yesterday, but the product was only on my length for 3-5 minutes. Garnier Respons mother of pearl & cherry it's called; bought it yesterday too and had never tried it before. Highly recommended! My hair hasn't been this smooth for... who knows how long! :)

kdaniels8811
October 26th, 2014, 12:37 PM
I just washed out a SMT that was left in for an hour while I cleaned house. It has been a while since I did one, great thread!

veryhairyfairy
October 26th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I hope the cream isn't too heavy and can be washed out in one go.
:agree:
I'm a little worried about that, for sure. But it wouldn't be a big deal since I never wear my hair down. I'll just hide it in a bun as an extra long DT if it sticks around.

Avis
October 26th, 2014, 01:41 PM
I would like to join in this thread as I'm now at a point where my hair has been growing for a while and had no deep treatments. But my problem is I've never done a deep treatment before and don't really know exactly how to go about it. So if I could get some DT newbie questions answered, you'd reeeally be helping me out. Thanks! :flower:

-Do you do DTs on wash day before you wash or do you do them as you feel you need them between washes (or both)?

-When you wash out a treatment, do you just wash as you normally do or is there something different you need to do?

-Would you apply some kind of leave in or use the LOC method after washing out a DT or is that too much all at once?

-Is there such a thing as too many DTs?

LadyCelestina
October 26th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Avis -

-Do you do DTs on wash day before you wash or do you do them as you feel you need them between washes (or both)?

Oilings - A day or so pre-wash.
DT that require spreading goop on wet length - right before I'm planning to shampoo and condition,or right after shampoo.

-When you wash out a treatment, do you just wash as you normally do or is there something different you need to do?
Uuh nope I don't do anything outside the norm afterwards...Maybe if I use a DT which contains oil,I don't use as much for taming hair when dry.

-Would you apply some kind of leave in or use the LOC method after washing out a DT or is that too much all at once?
Depends on your hair really.For me after a DT my hair is almost too soft so it's best to stick it in a bun or braid and forget about it until around day 3 when it feels back to normal..

Definitely.Signs can be hair that feels coated,hair that feels dry and straw like,or hair that is too soft and may snap easily or be very stretchable.

LauraLongLocks
October 26th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I am likely not going to get to do my SMT today. :(

veryhairyfairy
October 26th, 2014, 02:31 PM
~It's both for me. I sometimes do a DT because I have the time to do one and I'd like to, but for the most part I DT on wash day.

~I do a normal wash after an oil-soak DT, but for conditioner-based treatments (like the SMT) I put it on freshly washed, unconditioned hair, and then just rinse it out after it's had some time to marinate.

~I always do my normal leave in routine after a DT. Either leave in conditioner topped with oil (my version of LOC) or just oil.

~Short answer; Yes.
In more detail, it depends on what you're using as a DT. Protein DTs can cause protein overload if you use them too often (and only if your hair is sensitive to protein, some heads of hair can't get enough of the stuff). Moisture DTs like the SMT and anything with a humectant (aloe, honey, glycerin) can cause hair to become over-moisturized if used too often, but I've personally never experienced that. (I actually used an SMT as my regular conditioner for 6 months straight once and it made my hair wonderful... until winter came, and then it was split city!)
As for pre-wash heavy oilings, I do one almost every time I wash my hair, and have done for years. Unless your hair dislikes the oil you're using, I sincerely doubt that oiling before each wash could be detrimental.

Avis
October 26th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks LadyCelestina and veryhairyfairy! I've already washed for the week but I will definitely try some kind of treatment next week. I'm excited!

lapushka
October 26th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I have DTs every time I have it washed, double conditioning is a DT *every* time. Then after that comes the LOC method, so it's another layer of moisture on top of that. Can't be beat, IMMHO. ;)

jupiterinleo
October 26th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Yesterday, I just went and bought those Hask Henna N Placenta packs, did the treatment, and did a DT right after. My hair is sooo soft today! The whole ordeal took a couple hours, though, and I had to hop in the shower 3 times. Basically, I washed, put the treatment in, rinsed it out, put the DT in, and rinsed that out. The directions on the protein packs say to wash your hair beforehand but I'm wondering if that's actually necessary. I won't next time and will see how that works out.

alishaxmarie
October 26th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Yesterday, I just went and bought those Hask Henna N Placenta packs, did the treatment, and did a DT right after. My hair is sooo soft today! The whole ordeal took a couple hours, though, and I had to hop in the shower 3 times. Basically, I washed, put the treatment in, rinsed it out, put the DT in, and rinsed that out. The directions on the protein packs say to wash your hair beforehand but I'm wondering if that's actually necessary. I won't next time and will see how that works out.

Ooh I was wondering how the protein treatment would work for you! I've been a fan of your hair since I first saw your signature ;) I imagine you're going to continue experimenting with protein treatments? After a couple more experiments with gelatin treatments (I still need to do my second one, I'' do it sometime by the 1st, maybe this week to waste time while doing homework lol) and then maybe I'll try the henna & placenta since I've seen those around a lot.

Protein treatments are still DT though: DT don't have to be conditioner-based and technically proteins do condition your hair although they add strength and aren't as well known for their ability to help your hair retain its moisture due to the "moisture-protein balance" that is always referred to on the forum. According to Sciencey (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/09/more-about-protein.html), proteins grab water and hold it close to the hair while filling in gaps in the hair's cuticle which basically means protein helps your hair to behave as though it is less porous. (I've been really into Sciencey lately except now that I'm starting to find contradictions between posts...it's making me wonder although I can just use her findings to help me start my own research so I can't really complain because she's compiled so much wonderful and easy-to-understand info in one place.)

TrapperCreekD
October 27th, 2014, 11:40 AM
What is the actual definition of a DC/DT? :hmm:

alishaxmarie
October 27th, 2014, 12:17 PM
What is the actual definition of a DC/DT? :hmm:

I would say that this is the kind of thing that means something somewhat different to everyone; like most/all words, the meaning is relative.
I personally think a Deep Treatment can be anything you leave on your hair for an extended period of time in order for it to penetrate the hair shaft and alter the state or appearance of your hair.

goldenears
October 27th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Right now I have a Coconut & Argan Oil mixture on my hair. In the morning (UK Time) I will shampoo it out then deep condition for 10 minutes with Pureology Precious Oil Softening Masque. It will be the first time I've tried the masque, if the results I got from the conditioner from the same range are anything to go by, then then hopefully I'm in for some exciting results! :magic:

jupiterinleo
October 27th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Ooh I was wondering how the protein treatment would work for you! I've been a fan of your hair since I first saw your signature ;) I imagine you're going to continue experimenting with protein treatments? After a couple more experiments with gelatin treatments (I still need to do my second one, I'' do it sometime by the 1st, maybe this week to waste time while doing homework lol) and then maybe I'll try the henna & placenta since I've seen those around a lot.

Protein treatments are still DT though: DT don't have to be conditioner-based and technically proteins do condition your hair although they add strength and aren't as well known for their ability to help your hair retain its moisture due to the "moisture-protein balance" that is always referred to on the forum. According to Sciencey (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/09/more-about-protein.html), proteins grab water and hold it close to the hair while filling in gaps in the hair's cuticle which basically means protein helps your hair to behave as though it is less porous. (I've been really into Sciencey lately except now that I'm starting to find contradictions between posts...it's making me wonder although I can just use her findings to help me start my own research so I can't really complain because she's compiled so much wonderful and easy-to-understand info in one place.)

Ohh, I have a hair fan! :cool:
Those Hask packets are actually basically conditioners with a bunch of protein shoved in there. I'm pretty sure I could have just used it on its own and didn't have to do a deep conditioning afterward, but since I had never done a protein treatment on my hair before, I was nervous about it coming out very brittle and dry. My hair definitely liked the protein pack. I don't think I'll do a DT after the next time.

I forgot to mention in the last post that I figured out a way for me to put my hair up comfortably while DCing. I divide it in two, twist each side and lay it over my head like I'm wearing Heidi braids, fold the ends up over themselves and clip the whole side with a claw clip, so I have a clip in each side of my head, and throw a shower cap on it. It's really comfortable and doesn't hurt my head at all. :D

Verdandi
October 27th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Oh, I actually happened to do a deep conditioning treatment yesterday, but the product was only on my length for 3-5 minutes. Garnier Respons mother of pearl & cherry it's called; bought it yesterday too and had never tried it before. Highly recommended! My hair hasn't been this smooth for... who knows how long! :)

I use that one too! Love it! I even use it as a regular rinse-out.... Really cheap also, especially at ÖoB ;)
I really like the Honey treasures from the same brand also, but it has PEG-cones.

Came here to tell I actually did a DT, as the conditioner I had at DBF was too weak for my recently clarified hair. I nuxed half a cup Tresemme Vibrant Naturals with two tbs of sweet almond oil, some honey and some glycerine. Worked okay, made my hair really sleek (not intended. Glycerine always does that for me, so I should have known. ..) and it at least felt very moisturised :)

alishaxmarie
October 27th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Have any of you ever done a moisturizing treatment with avocado? My bf surprised me with two avocadoes from the tree at his house (I'm a broke college student so I wouldn't "waste" a fruit I paid for) because he recalled that I said they were good for hair. I made guacamole with one so now I need a recipe for my second avocado and I trust LHC more than Google! :lol:

Ingrid
October 28th, 2014, 12:19 AM
I did a gelatin treatment yesterday. My damaged hair feels much happier. It's been a while since I've done a store-bought deep conditioning treatment...

alishaxmarie, I've put avocado in my hair before! It worked very well and left my hair soft and shiny. It was relatively easy to wash out. But I find I get better results with using avocado oil on damp hair. No need to wash that one out and you only need a tiny amount of oil to get the same effect.
(Plus I get to eat the avocado...)

Avis
October 31st, 2014, 11:26 AM
I've got Freya's hair salve on my hair right now. I've got about 30 more minutes until I wash. My first deep conditioning! :)

ETA: I've washed and put on a leave-in and my hair is nearly dry and feels great! I'm definitely doing this every week.

Larki
November 1st, 2014, 05:39 PM
I just did a four hour DC with Aussie three minute miracle shine deep conditioner + coconut oil. I love how my hair looks and feels right now. <3

battles
November 1st, 2014, 06:47 PM
I tried out Aphogee Intensive 2 Minute Reconstructor. Still drying. :) I love how soft protein makes my hair, and I want to do this as a weekly thing.

Sparklylady82
November 1st, 2014, 08:15 PM
I did an SMT for the first time today using Biologe conditioning balm, honey and aloe juice. I have an electric heat cap and used that for about an hour. I feel like it is more frizzy today though after. hmmm

LadyCelestina
November 2nd, 2014, 02:13 AM
So this week I did a proper DT on wet hair,much better,especially since I used my fav product.

Johannah
November 2nd, 2014, 06:47 AM
Not sure what's happening, but deep conditioning treatments/heavy oilings don't work anymore for my hair. Anyone who has had the same?

jacqueline101
November 2nd, 2014, 08:40 AM
Not sure what's happening, but deep conditioning treatments/heavy oilings don't work anymore for my hair. Anyone who has had the same?

Yes I started off using lustrasilk which had protein in it then deeply condition with Aussie 3 mm. My hair lost it's appeal looking blah I clarify and all nothing. I found hot oil treatment at dollar tree so I bought some my hair liked it for about a month then my scalp got oily really quickly. I dropped it for wcc. I shampoo scalp with beautiful lengths, cool rinse, mane n tail conditioner, cool rinse, and beautiful lengths conditioner cool rinse. Dry half ways add nature fission leave in condition then truly natural shine serum. My products are Pantene products.

Johannah
November 2nd, 2014, 08:42 AM
Yes I started off using lustrasilk which had protein in it then deeply condition with Aussie 3 mm. My hair lost it's appeal looking blah I clarify and all nothing. I found hot oil treatment at dollar tree so I bought some my hair liked it for about a month then my scalp got oily really quickly. I dropped it for wcc. I shampoo scalp with beautiful lengths, cool rinse, mane n tail conditioner, cool rinse, and beautiful lengths conditioner cool rinse. Dry half ways add nature fission leave in condition then truly natural shine serum. My products are Pantene products.

Right now I wash my hair once a week: Shampoo - Conditioner - MO. That's it. Even CWC became too much for my hair. I don't get it. I used to do deep treatments twice a week and my hair LOVED it, but now...

On the other hand this is quite easy and simple... ;)

veryhairyfairy
November 2nd, 2014, 09:03 AM
Interesting, Johannah... :hmm:

My hair reacts to MO the exact same way it reacts to cones; coated, plastic-feeling hair that doesn't take kindly to anything else going on top of it. But if your hair likes cones and MO, then maybe it just needs a clarify?
Most of my 'unexplained' hair issues (dryness, tangles, etc) are solved with a nice clarify and deep condition. :)

-------------------
I liked the results from my pre-poo with the Uncle Harry's Jojoba Cream the last time I used it, so I just loaded up my hair with at least a teaspoon, will probably leave it overnight and wash tomorrow morning.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2014, 09:52 AM
Right now I wash my hair once a week: Shampoo - Conditioner - MO. That's it. Even CWC became too much for my hair. I don't get it. I used to do deep treatments twice a week and my hair LOVED it, but now...

Try and clarify. That's always the first thing to think of!

Verdandi
November 2nd, 2014, 10:04 AM
I'm sitting in front of my computer looking absolutely ridiculous with my length covered in sweet almond oil, wearing a shower cap, a turbie towel and one of those wheat filled pillows you heat in the microwave on top of my head. Looking fabulous! :silly: .

jacqueline101
November 2nd, 2014, 02:25 PM

Oh wow I don't get why our hair changes so much. My hair used to love deep conditioners and pampering. Now mine doesn't. I'm wondering if my hair gotten healthier. It doesn't split or do the old things it did when I used oils deep conditioners.

LauraLongLocks
November 4th, 2014, 06:43 AM
I did a deep treatment on Monday morning. Slathered some leftover SMT, plus some extra Neutrogena Triple Moisture conditioner on my hair and marinaded in that while I got the laundry going and checked my emails/Facebook. Then I hopped in the shower and rinsed it all out. Lovely, moisturized results.

Crumpet
November 4th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Thanks to this thread I have a DT on my hair right now. Its some sort of modified SMT (conditioner, shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil) since I didn't have the proper ingredients on hand.

I haven't done a proper DT in, oh, 6 months or so? Maybe longer? I definitely needed them last winter so its probably good to get into the habit once again!

Lady Sparkleloc
November 4th, 2014, 03:16 PM
This is such an awesome thread! Loving all the suggestions!!

TheBlondieDream
November 5th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Sitting with my first DC with Shea Moisture's Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque.
LOVE the smell, really, i'm smelling my hand and can't get bored.
I'm keeping it with a shower cap and a towel to keep the heat for 1hr and i really hope the results will be as astounding as the scent, because it makes me want to DC more often

BitterChocolate
November 5th, 2014, 04:20 PM
This thread is so inspiring, definitely puts one in a mood for a deep treatment! I just used the Joico K-PAK Deep Penetrating Reconstructor and I'm blown away. I only had it in my hair for 10 minutes as I read more than that could cause breakage with this particular product, but when I was washing it out my hair actually felt thicker! Also, my hair normally sheads quite heavily during/after washes (which I attribute to coconut oil), but when I washed this out and drained the excess water off my hair with my hand, there was no shedding at all:bounce:

alishaxmarie
November 5th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I'm planning a caffeine rinse, catnip tea leave-in, and "restorative mask" for either tonight or tomorrow after I wash. The mask is from a company called One 'n Only and contains cones, oils, and proteins; I need all the protection I can get because I'll be going to a mudding and camping event this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday called Redneck Yacht Club :D I'll be slathering on a coney serum all weekend in hopes that my hair won't be a tangled, matted, mess that takes hours to detangle like it was after my last 3-day camping trip in May (though we spent a lot of time swimming in a spring-fed river so I suppose that was a bigger factor on my hair than the wind or sun).

alishaxmarie
November 5th, 2014, 08:05 PM
[FONT=Century Gothic]So I washed with diluted SLS shampoo and diluted body wash since I used a coney serum and cone-containing shampoo with SLS last wash (I'm overly worried about cone build-up but didn't rinse in-between those 2 applications). Then I squeezed out the excess water from my length and held that up so I could apply green tea to my scalp. Afterwards, I dipped the length in catnip tea so that I would have that underneath the cones in the Argan Oil Restorative Mask although I will re-apply catnip after I rinse out the mask. Currently, the mask is marinading but I only put it from ears downwards (I quit CO-washing in order to monitor my shed rate so applying this mask to my scalp would be rather counterproductive imo).

Mask Ingredients:
Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Amodimethicone, Fragrance (Parfum), Acetamide MEA, Canola Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Sodium PCA, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Trideceth-12, Cetrimonium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 4 (CI 14700), Yellow 10 (CI 47005)

Johannah
November 6th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Oh wow I don't get why our hair changes so much. My hair used to love deep conditioners and pampering. Now mine doesn't. I'm wondering if my hair gotten healthier. It doesn't split or do the old things it did when I used oils deep conditioners.

My hair became low porous, so that might have something to do with it. (Guess that's also the effect of healthier hair).

höpönasu
November 6th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I'm planning to S&D this evening and then apply some oil on my ends. Maybe coconut-jojoba-oil mix, not sure yet. :o

EDIT: No, not jojoba! Argan oil! Ack, I mixed my Argan oil with Jojoba. I thought I bought Jojoba but it was Argan. :shudder: Oh no, I'm heartbroken.

LauraLongLocks
November 7th, 2014, 12:06 PM
I've been thinking about getting the Joico K-PAK and giving it a try.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this check-in thread so much. It is keeping me from forgetting, and that was my purpose in creating it.

I guess since I am no longer pregnant :( I can try the weekly caffeine rinses. I was holding off while pregnant as a precaution.

Avis
November 7th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I'm really sorry about what happened to your family, LLL. Sending good vibes your way. :grouphug:

I've got more NightBlooming salve on my hair right now. Last week my hair felt GREAT after I washed, but I put a little too much leave in on so it looked greasy. But it felt great and now I know how much is too much.

LauraLongLocks
November 8th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I'm really sorry about what happened to your family, LLL. Sending good vibes your way. :grouphug:

Thanks. I appreciate all the love and prayers.

Today I'm going to wash my hair, so I think I'll make up that caffeine rinse and put it on before I wash. I also need to do my SMT this weekend. Maybe I'll wet all my hair and do the SMT prior to the shampoo so I don't have to take two showers.

Sparklylady82
November 8th, 2014, 10:18 PM
This thread is so inspiring, definitely puts one in a mood for a deep treatment! I just used the Joico K-PAK Deep Penetrating Reconstructor and I'm blown away. I only had it in my hair for 10 minutes as I read more than that could cause breakage with this particular product, but when I was washing it out my hair actually felt thicker! Also, my hair normally sheads quite heavily during/after washes (which I attribute to coconut oil), but when I washed this out and drained the excess water off my hair with my hand, there was no shedding at all:bounce:

My all time FAVORITE DT with protein in it!!! Enjoy!

Sparklylady82
November 8th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Hugs!!! LLL You should definately try the K-pack, I love it. It does have protein in it though so make sure your hair likes that.

Sparklylady82
November 8th, 2014, 10:22 PM
I tried the Aussie 3 minute miracle Deep Conditioner. It worked really well for detangling and made my hair soft and smooth.

EvelynMay
November 9th, 2014, 12:58 AM
I deep condition every time I clarify/chelate. I use Shea Moisture restorative conditioner and apply it from my ears down (waist length hair) and leave it on for 15 minutes then rinse out. Soooooooooo soft. I do this about every 2 months. My hair loves sulfate free moisturizing shampoo so that suffices enough where I don't need to deep condition very often. Which is a good thing since I'm kind of lazy and it's hard for me sometimes to find a day dedicated to an extra long shower! Anyways, I deep conditioned this way just last week :)

BitterChocolate
November 9th, 2014, 05:17 AM
My all time FAVORITE DT with protein in it!!! Enjoy!

I tried the Aussie 3 minute miracle Deep Conditioner. It worked really well for detangling and made my hair soft and smooth.

I was really impressed with the K-PAK, can't wait to use it again :) I only bought the travel size but I'll definitely be ordering more.

I do like the 3 minute miracle, I buy small sachets of it every now and then (I find the normal packaging really awkward as you can't close it) - it sure makes your hair shiny :)

FallingDarkness
November 9th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I have coconut oil on my hair right now, which is how I like to deep condition.
However, apparently my favorite Target DOES have clear aloe vera gel, so I'll try out an SMT in the near future. It's 1 part honey to 1 part aloe vera to 4 parts conditioner right?

LauraLongLocks
November 9th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I have coconut oil on my hair right now, which is how I like to deep condition.
However, apparently my favorite Target DOES have clear aloe vera gel, so I'll try out an SMT in the near future. It's 1 part honey to 1 part aloe vera to 4 parts conditioner right?

Yes, it is. Warm it slightly to make it easier to spread.

LauraLongLocks
November 9th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Do I want the Joico k-pak reconstructor? What product is it that I am looking for?

Edelweiss
November 9th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Guys, I might sound stupid, but what exactly is a protein treatment ? :oops:

FallingDarkness
November 9th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Yes, it is. Warm it slightly to make it easier to spread.

Do you warm all of it together when you mix it, or do you warm each part separately?

BitterChocolate
November 9th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Do I want the Joico k-pak reconstructor? What product is it that I am looking for?

I have the Reconstructor and the Hydrator, and out of the two the Reconstructor is what I would personally recommend - it really seems to restore strength. The Hydrator is nice but I feel smilar results could be acheived with many products.

LauraLongLocks
November 9th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Do you warm all of it together when you mix it, or do you warm each part separately?

All together and then stir it. Be careful of melting a plastic container in your microwave. Ask me how I know this...

Edelweiss, a protein treatment is meant to restore strength to weakened parts of the hair. Hair is made of protein (keratin) and over time through wear and tear, or through chemical damage, it loses some of its integrity. This causes it to split and break off. Protein treatments are designed to restore strength to the hair. Protein, however, can be somewhat drying to hair that needs more moisture. You really need both - protein for strength and integrity, and moisture for elasticity and suppleness. Finding the right balance for your hair is a bit of a trial and error sort of thing.

Right now I'm using mane n tail once a week in my WCC, as the first conditioner. It has light protein in it, and my hair seems to like it so far.

BitterChocolate, thank you. I'll get the reconstructor. I saw a lot of bad reviews on Amazon from long-time users who thought the product had been adulterated. I think I better get it from a salon.

Has anyone tried the generic version of Joico K-Pak reconstructor from Sally's? What do you think of it?

FallingDarkness
November 9th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I've put plastic containers in my microwave before too. It didn't end well LOLz.
Thanks so much, I'll definitely SMT next weekend.

LauraLongLocks
November 10th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Okay, I went to Ulta and got myself some Joico K-Pak Reconstructor. I used it tonight. This is the first time I have ever used a protein treatment on my hair. First I wet my hair down with a spray bottle. Then I applied the Reconstructor to my length (not my scalp... I don't put any deep treatments on my scalp). I combed it through carefully to ensure that I got it applied thoroughly. After that I figured 5 minutes had probably passed, and the directions say only 5 minutes, so I got into the shower and rinsed it out. I did a co-wash, and then applied a moisturizing conditioner to my length and rinsed it out. In the shower my hair felt thicker than usual, so I was hopeful there was some sort of wonderful improvement happening to my hair.

After my shower I put on my usual turbie twist. Then my second turbie twist (first one gets soaked instantly, so I always use two). After letting my hair out of the second turbie twist it was somewhat stiff and tangly feeling. I would describe it as dry, except it was wet, if that makes any sense. Anyway, I spritzed on my usual leave-in conditioner and aloe, then followed with jojoba and my silk-drop type of coney serum. I used about double the oil and double the serum I normally use. Now my hair is much more manageable feeling. I'm still waiting for it to get dry and will have a full report tomorrow.

A few sheds that came out I pulled them apart to see how far they stretched before snapping. They seemed to stretch a bit farther than they did before the reconstructor, and certainly didn't lose any elasticity, so that is good. I'm sorry my grammar in a few of these sentences is so horrible tonight. I'm tired.

LauraLongLocks
November 10th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Okay, I went to Ulta and got myself some Joico K-Pak Reconstructor. I used it tonight. This is the first time I have ever used a protein treatment on my hair. First I wet my hair down with a spray bottle. Then I applied the Reconstructor to my length (not my scalp... I don't put any deep treatments on my scalp). I combed it through carefully to ensure that I got it applied thoroughly. After that I figured 5 minutes had probably passed, and the directions say only 5 minutes, so I got into the shower and rinsed it out. I did a co-wash, and then applied a moisturizing conditioner to my length and rinsed it out. In the shower my hair felt thicker than usual, so I was hopeful there was some sort of wonderful improvement happening to my hair.

After my shower I put on my usual turbie twist. Then my second turbie twist (first one gets soaked instantly, so I always use two). After letting my hair out of the second turbie twist it was somewhat stiff and tangly feeling. I would describe it as dry, except it was wet, if that makes any sense. Anyway, I spritzed on my usual leave-in conditioner and aloe, then followed with jojoba and my silk-drop type of coney serum. I used about double the oil and double the serum I normally use. Now my hair is much more manageable feeling. I'm still waiting for it to get dry and will have a full report tomorrow.

A few sheds that came out I pulled them apart to see how far they stretched before snapping. They seemed to stretch a bit farther than they did before the reconstructor, and certainly didn't lose any elasticity, so that is good. I'm sorry my grammar in a few of these sentences is so horrible tonight. I'm tired.

HintOfMint
November 10th, 2014, 10:54 PM

Protein treatments tend to be on the drying side so usually the next wash a moisturizing treatment of some sort is recommended. I would just squirt some honey in your regular conditioner and call it a day, I don't think it has to be a grand to-do.

TheBlondieDream
November 11th, 2014, 02:19 AM
Checking in again :) yesterday evening i did DC'ed with Shea Mosture DTM for the second time for 30 mins after washing, conditioning and detangling as usual. I putted on a shower cap, then a winter cap and then a towel to seal the hot in, but i'm really considering a hood drier cap.
For the results...yeah, i'm starting noticing that my hair doen't seem to break and shed as before and that they're softer, stronger and curlier, but i'm wanting to wait until the first can is over to give a judgement based on consistency and more applications even if i can already say i'm still in love with the smell. If i'd have a body butter with that scent i'd gladly bathe on it, and my bf loves it either.

veryhairyfairy
November 11th, 2014, 10:21 AM
That's about how my hair feels after a protein treatment, Laura. I always do like you and put on a moisturizing conditioner right after the protein; I think otherwise it would be a total mess!
If it makes your hair feel really unhappy, a good clarify always sets me to rights when I use too much protein. (followed by a good moisture conditioner, of course) :)

LauraLongLocks
November 11th, 2014, 07:45 PM
My hair seems happy today after yesterday's protein treatment. I hope it'll help with my split ends I keep finding.

amanda_the_tall
November 13th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I put a TON of Winter Panacea in my hair, and tried to rub some on my scalp. I really like the scent of this, but my hair is too thin and short to use it as a leave-in right now, so I'm using it as an overnight deep condition!

Nadine <3
November 14th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I've been busy and slacking on deep treatments... Since I don't really have time right now to sit with a bag on my head I slathered it in coconut oil and olive oil (and a bit of lavender EO just for calming purposes!) Up in a bun it goes, and I'll wash it when I get around to it!

Avis
November 14th, 2014, 02:51 PM
I've got some Panacea on my hair right now. It smells soooo good. I already want to buy more of it and I still have plenty of it left. I can't wait to visit my family in two weeks and have them see me with this on my head. :laugh:

LauraLongLocks
November 14th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Marinading in my SMT as I type. Wishing for NO MORE SPLITS.

dancingrain91
November 14th, 2014, 07:54 PM
I'm going to sleep tonight with a squirt of Hello Hydration conditioner and a tablespoon of coconut oil on my length. I've been trying to go sulfate and cone free and today I gave up. It's been two weeks. My hair was matted. I washed it with Neutrogena Clarifying Shampoo followed by Pantene Ice Shine Conditioner to detangle and then Hello Hydration to make it feel nice again. Tomorrow I'm washing it again because it still isn't back to rights with my old shampoo (one of the Organix ones) and then a deep condition with Loreal's Mega Moisture Deep Conditioner hopefully for at least an hour while I clean. Prayers that my hair is back to normal tomorrow! I don't think it's damaged, just something in the products I was using made it sticky.

LauraLongLocks
November 14th, 2014, 09:53 PM
I'm going to sleep tonight with a squirt of Hello Hydration conditioner and a tablespoon of coconut oil on my length. I've been trying to go sulfate and cone free and today I gave up. It's been two weeks. My hair was matted. I washed it with Neutrogena Clarifying Shampoo followed by Pantene Ice Shine Conditioner to detangle and then Hello Hydration to make it feel nice again. Tomorrow I'm washing it again because it still isn't back to rights with my old shampoo (one of the Organix ones) and then a deep condition with Loreal's Mega Moisture Deep Conditioner hopefully for at least an hour while I clean. Prayers that my hair is back to normal tomorrow! I don't think it's damaged, just something in the products I was using made it sticky.
I hope it feels better tomorrow after you are finished with it. I'm a fan of cones, personally.

After my SMT my hair feels nice. I put some shea butter on the ends before it dried and I think it helped.

ChloeDharma
November 14th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Does oil count? My hair has been soaking in it for at least a couple of days now. I first put VCO on the length then used Sesa oil on my scalp which is my most used oil now. I had intended to use the Mahabhringraj oil for scalp oiling last night but fell asleep waiting for it to heat up and turn liquid. Tonight I've made a mix of sea buckthorn oil, mustard oil, jojoba oil and virgin avocado oil plus EO's of peppermint, rosemary, ylang ylang, spikenard, clary sage, geranium and patchouli. Each time I thoroughly massage my scalp and brush with a bamboo paddle brush which gives the scalp another massage. When I wash I do a DT with methi seed as a base and add brahmi powder and just recently henna like a very weak gloss. I leave that on for at least an hour, usually more like 3 hours.

Great thread idea, I'm thinking my next treatment will have yogurt added to the methi.

FallingDarkness
November 15th, 2014, 01:25 AM
Great thread idea, I'm thinking my next treatment will have yogurt added to the methi.

Potentially dumb question.
What does yogurt do to help the hair? :/ It's... yogurt. Like, omnom. IDK it just sounds strange, but so does all the oils and honey and aloe vera gel I put in my hair.... LOLz

Verdandi
November 15th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Home alone today, so I thought that I might as well do a DT, since I clarified yesterday, and finally have access to a shower that can rine the DT out.
I'm using Lush Jasmine and Henna Fluff Ease. I've used it before and was not amazed, but the pot is expensive, so I might as well use it before it goes bad. I'm not a fan of the heavy scent, and it actually gave me red bumps and itchy skin last time, so this time I'm just using it on my length, put that in a plastic bag and the plastic bag under a shower cap, which is under a knitted wool hat. I look hilarious. And with three layers between me and the DT, I can actually stand the scent ;)

ChloeDharma
November 15th, 2014, 06:13 AM
It's amazing stuff. Full fat natural yogurt does wonders as a conditioning treatment. Here is a thread about it http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60619&highlight=yogurt

LauraLongLocks
November 15th, 2014, 07:56 AM
ChloeDharma, and others who have asked this question, I don't pretend to be a judge over what counts as a deep treatment and what does not. If you call it a deep treatment, then it's a deep treatment.

Verdandi, I hope it doesn't irritate your skin any further. I never put my deep treatments above my ears unless I'm doing an all-over henna/cassia gloss. I figure above my ears probably does not need any special treatment because I tend to get greasy in just 1-2 days after washing and my natural sebum is a great conditioner.

LauraLongLocks
November 15th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Actually, I LOVE the shea butter on my ends before my ends are dry. I only need a tiny bit, but it really helped my ends feel supple and moisturized. I'm definitely going to be adding shea butter on my wet ends as a regular habit.

ChloeDharma
November 15th, 2014, 08:13 AM
ChloeDharma, and others who have asked this question, I don't pretend to be a judge over what counts as a deep treatment and what does not. If you call it a deep treatment, then it's a deep treatment..

That's a fair way of looking at it :) I think for many people a heavy pre wash oiling is a DT. For me it kind of is but at the same time I like to leave my hair soaking in oil most of the time with maybe a day or two not heavily oiled after washing. It's just so versatile really, can be a DT, can be a protective thing, can be a styling aid. Anyway I shall stop this hijack going on about my favourite subject! I've still not mixed up my methi so will have to wash without it today but will mix it up tonight so I can use it tomorrow (again, heavily oiling tonight).

kelseyxface
November 15th, 2014, 08:18 AM
I saw this thread a few weeks back and totally forgot to utilize it. :lol: In any event, just woke up with some castor oil/coconut mix that's been marinading while I slept. I do this about once every 4-5 days, the night before I shower, but I really should get into the habit of a nice deep condition like the SMT recipe once a month. I have massive bleach damage and while it has been easy to control the dryness once I got here, winter is really starting to SUCK the moisture out of my ends. ):

bunzfan
November 15th, 2014, 08:28 AM
As I've been doing lots of protein treatments as its the weekend I have the time to do a smt, probably rinse out in a few hours :D

Sparklylady82
November 15th, 2014, 10:40 PM

Yes, sorry this is such a late response :-(

Sparklylady82
November 15th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Actually, I LOVE the shea butter on my ends before my ends are dry. I only need a tiny bit, but it really helped my ends feel supple and moisturized. I'm definitely going to be adding shea butter on my wet ends as a regular habit.

hmmm...I think I have some shea laying around!

Sparklylady82
November 15th, 2014, 10:47 PM
The ends of my shortest layers are starting to feel crunchy. I've been using the Aussie 3 minute miracle after every wash (WCC). I wonder if I need to clarify or if a protein treatment would help?...or both? What do you all think?

HintOfMint
November 16th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Hey if oil counts, my hair is soaked to the gills right now with coconut oil. I've been pretty good with the last three washes about using an overnight coconut oil soak beforehand, however I've been far less good about using SMTs.

Oh hey, what are your thoughts on a bit of heat (on warm, held a good distance from hair) from a blowdryer to help coconut oil penetrate better? I've seen a few deep conditioners and oils use heat as a part of the process, I'm wondering if it makes a difference.

RainbowBowser
November 16th, 2014, 01:00 AM
did an SMT last night, my hair feels a million times better and a lot less tangly :)

Larki
November 16th, 2014, 01:47 AM
Hey if oil counts, my hair is soaked to the gills right now with coconut oil. I've been pretty good with the last three washes about using an overnight coconut oil soak beforehand, however I've been far less good about using SMTs.

Oh hey, what are your thoughts on a bit of heat (on warm, held a good distance from hair) from a blowdryer to help coconut oil penetrate better? I've seen a few deep conditioners and oils use heat as a part of the process, I'm wondering if it makes a difference.

All I can tell you is that I'm also very fond of coconut oil pre-poos, and a few times I've saturated my hair with it and then decided not to wash my hair because dry shampoo + keeping it up means no one's the wiser and my hair looks squeaky clean, so I've just thrown my shower cap on and hopped in the shower, and after using hot water and getting out....wow, my hair is so silky when I do that - and it usually goes from looking like I haven't washed it in a month to looking just soft and silky. I think the heat does help it penetrate better.

ChloeDharma
November 16th, 2014, 01:52 AM

I find mild heat fine with oils. I would cover with a plastic cap or similar though. I don't often do this myself but have just brought a wooly hat to wear on top of a shower cap during treatments/oilngs. Actually I do usualy wear a shower cap with a towel wrapped around it when doing methi pack, henna or other DT's that aren't heavy oilings.
I do remember many years ago I sometimes wore a wig that was microbraids. My hair was chemically fried from colouring at this point and was very dry and frizzy. After wearing the wig with my hair contained in a wig cap underneath all day I would take it off and the heat plus a light oiling made my hair so soft feeling and shiny. Anyway that's my long winded way of saying mild heat in conjunction with oiling seems a great idea.

ChloeDharma
November 16th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Well my DT mix is ready, I mixed the methi seed in the early hours of this morning with brahmi and henna added. I've left it all day and just added some natural yogurt and added rosemary and ylang ylang essential oils. My hair has been soaking in oils for days now, Sesa, VCO and then sea buckthorn, avocao, jojoba, mustard and EO's for the last couple of nights roughly.
Anyway off to put it on and leave on for hopefully a few hours.

veryhairyfairy
November 16th, 2014, 01:03 PM
I wanted to do something with conditioner and molasses today, but it's so cold that I can't imagine something wet and drippy on me (not to mention having to shower twice!).
I compromised by spraying my hair with catnip tea (my new old favorite hair additive) until it was pretty wet and then put on a good tablespoon of safflower oil. I'll let it soak for a few hours and then wash like usual. (and then maybe soak my ends in the tea again)

allycat
November 16th, 2014, 01:08 PM
The ends of my shortest layers are starting to feel crunchy. I've been using the Aussie 3 minute miracle after every wash (WCC). I wonder if I need to clarify or if a protein treatment would help?...or both? What do you all think?

Sparklylady, the Aussie 3 minute miracle has protein in it, and crunchy ends are typical of too much protein. I would clarify and then just use moisturizing conditioners without protein or a while.

FallingDarkness
November 16th, 2014, 01:19 PM
It's amazing stuff. Full fat natural yogurt does wonders as a conditioning treatment. Here is a thread about it http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60619&highlight=yogurt

OOH cool beans. I might have to give it a try sometime.

I have coconut oil on my length again, I was going to go to the store for some aloe vera gel but then I got sidetracked, so no SMT for me this week. Next week though. (Next week I'm going to the Great Wolf Lodge and am PANICKED about my hair care for the water park... :/ Save me.)

LauraLongLocks
November 16th, 2014, 04:22 PM
I wanted to do something with conditioner and molasses today, but it's so cold that I can't imagine something wet and drippy on me (not to mention having to shower twice!).
I compromised by spraying my hair with catnip tea (my new old favorite hair additive) until it was pretty wet and then put on a good tablespoon of safflower oil. I'll let it soak for a few hours and then wash like usual. (and then maybe soak my ends in the tea again)

I've been meaning to try catnip tea to prevent split ends. Does it work?

Sparklylady82
November 16th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Sparklylady, the Aussie 3 minute miracle has protein in it, and crunchy ends are typical of too much protein. I would clarify and then just use moisturizing conditioners without protein or a while.

AH hA! Thank you, I forgot to check that out ;-)

Sparklylady82
November 16th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Hey all I am sitting with a SMT on my head under a heat cap. 45 minutes down and 15 to go! I also did a SMT on my 12 year old daughters hair tonight..she felt pampered ;-)

LauraLongLocks
November 16th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Hey all I am sitting with a SMT on my head under a heat cap. 45 minutes down and 15 to go! I also did a SMT on my 12 year old daughters hair tonight..she felt pampered ;-)

Love that you pampered your daughter. I do that with my girls, too.

molljo
November 16th, 2014, 11:51 PM
I think I'm going to join this thread! I clarify and chelate once a month anyway, and while just conditioning twice afterward worked well during the warmer months, I don't think it's going to cut it this winter. I'm thinking a modified SMT (GVP Conditioning Balm+honey+olive oil) for 20-30 minutes at the end of every month after a good clarify/chelate seems like a good plan. And while I don't personally consider pre-poo oiling DTs, I have been getting lazy about doing them recently, so I should probably use this thread to keep me accountable about that, also.

meliel
November 17th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Thought I should ask a quick question before I forget that this is the right thread to ask it... I clarified my hair last night (or at least I believe I did?) with a mixture of baking soda + water, followed by mixture of ACV + water. I knew beforehand that my hair would essentially be stripped of what is on it, so I left my conditioner on longer than usual afterwards, but it seems that the conditioner just didn't cut it in the moisture department. What sort of treatment should I do in order to get soft and untangled ends, not the dry/tangly/hay-like ends that I've got at the moment? Would SMT be a good option, like molljo mentioned above?

tigress86
November 17th, 2014, 02:12 AM
Checking in - clarified with a clarifying shampoo yesterday, then left Tigi Dumb Blonde reconstructor on for a while, after that used my regular moisturizing conditioner, which acts as a deep conditioner if left on for a little longer. I've been avoiding protein lately, had protein overload and my ends started to get really stiff, crunchy and breaking off. But now I felt like it was time for a little protein again (Dumb Blonde has protein, I believe). Only now when I use protein once in a while, I'm going to follow with something that's only moisturizing.

schatten
November 17th, 2014, 03:01 AM
Did an overnight SMT Wednesday-Thursday. It has never been so soft and easy to handle as it is now! It seems that my hair needs a lot of pampering. (Normally I'm too lazy to pamper my hair so often.) But now I really need to wash my hair. I'm thinking of doing an coconut oil mask. Looking forward to the outcome! :D

schatten
November 17th, 2014, 03:02 AM
I forgot to mention that I add protein to the SMT. I don't know if that is a good combination, but I think my hair likes protein. It was my first experiment with protein though.

lapushka
November 17th, 2014, 03:54 AM

Yes, clarify. My hair is weekly washed, and it's clarified every time. I mean the lengths are washed (smooshed thoroughly) with the suds from the shampoo.

GetMeToWaist
November 17th, 2014, 04:55 AM
I don't know what DCs i can do anymore. Being cone free and cowashing has basically isolated me from every hair product :(

veryhairyfairy
November 20th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I've been meaning to try catnip tea to prevent split ends. Does it work?

Whoops, didn't see this until now. :)

To be honest I never used it long enough to have enough evidence for split reduction. What I really like about is the way it makes my hair feel vs just water; I spray a bit of water on my hair every day to help me bun it up and make it presentable, but when I switched to catnip tea as my styling spray I got a lot more hold, shine, and softness. (and the catnip tea dries way faster, so no more cold winter mornings with a wet bun!)

I also don't use catnip the way most users do (most people use it either as conditioner or as a rinse), so I probably don't get the split-reduction benefits. :)

Avis
November 21st, 2014, 01:34 PM
I slathered my hair in Panacea and I'm going to wash soon. I love the way this smells. So herby and lovely. :D

cat11
November 21st, 2014, 01:42 PM
I found that adding aloe vera gel to my regular conditioner and leaving it on for longer (like 15-20 minutes) serves as a deep condition. Ive been doing it about every other shower and I like the results I get from it...I started doing it because I didnt have honey for an smt :p

ChloeDharma
November 23rd, 2014, 12:16 PM
Well another methi pack today. My recipe is a bit different to last time as I added aloe gel instead of yogurt. Anyway it's equal parts methi seed, brahmi and henna, left to get the mucilage release for about 12 hours. Just before I put it on I added rosemary and peppermint EO's and some aloe gel. I'll probably only leave it on for an hour this time though.
As usual I heavily oiled for a few days, well most of the week before hand. I used Sesa oil tuesday night and wednesday night then thursday friday and last night I used pune mahabhringraj oil then also the Khadi vitalising oil. I also added some ylang ylang when using the mahabhringraj and some rosemary this morning. God this is long winded! Oh and I've started sleeping in a satin sleep cap and wooly hat after oiling.

ChloeDharma
November 23rd, 2014, 12:17 PM
Well another methi pack today. My recipe is a bit different to last time as I added aloe gel instead of yogurt. Anyway it's equal parts methi seed, brahmi and henna, left to get the mucilage release for about 12 hours. Just before I put it on I added rosemary and peppermint EO's and some aloe gel. I'll probably only leave it on for an hour this time though.
As usual I heavily oiled for a few days, well most of the week before hand. I used Sesa oil tuesday night and wednesday night then thursday friday and last night I used pune mahabhringraj oil then also the Khadi vitalising oil. I also added some ylang ylang when using the mahabhringraj and some rosemary this morning. God this is long winded! Oh and I've started sleeping in a satin sleep cap and wooly hat after oiling.

LauraLongLocks
November 26th, 2014, 09:21 AM
I'm marinading in an SMT this morning. I only put the SMT on my length. On my scalp, I'm trying a caffeine rinse. I figured I could do two things at once, and if the caffeine actually helps my hair grow faster, then that'll be a bonus.

earthybee
November 26th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I slathered my hair in Panacea and I'm going to wash soon. I love the way this smells. So herby and lovely. :D

Same here it's on my head right now. Love it!

Verdandi
November 26th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Did a deep conditioning yesterday after my work out session. I just wet my hair, put some Garnier Respons mother of pearl & cherry hair mask on and kept it in for the hour I spent in the sauna. No big difference but I like to think it was a nice thing to do to my hair instead of just sit in the heat.

LauraLongLocks
November 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM
So glad for this thread. I was unsure if I did my protein treatment the first of November or the second week. I see now it was the second week, so I'm probably just going to coast through December without another protein treatment. I want to get onto a 1st of the month schedule with it so I can remember.

yahirwaO.o
November 28th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I really cant tbe bothered with the whole Deep Conditioner idea , at least in the voluntary way. I just heavy oil my hair in jojoba oil the 2 days preview my next hair wash and wear it in a sleek low bun.... Nobody really notices that I am a oil monster in the bun and want to think this is somewhow a deep treament but really dont know.

:confused:

lapushka
November 28th, 2014, 03:26 PM
So glad for this thread. I was unsure if I did my protein treatment the first of November or the second week. I see now it was the second week, so I'm probably just going to coast through December without another protein treatment. I want to get onto a 1st of the month schedule with it so I can remember.

Otherwise just stick a label to your DT jar and write the date on it every time, even in advance, so you know when to grab it.

LauraLongLocks
November 28th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Otherwise just stick a label to your DT jar and write the date on it every time, even in advance, so you know when to grab it.

That would be so organized!

HintOfMint
November 29th, 2014, 11:55 PM
I know a lot of people may tut-tut at using a perfectly good half an avocado in a deep conditioning treatment but I swear it's the best thing that I've ever done for my hair.

I mixed half an avocado with a tablespoon of honey and added a drizzle of olive oil. After shampooing my entire length, I slathered it all over my hair and let it sit while I attended to other showerly tasks. After I rinsed that out, I used my regular conditioner and then rinsed that out.

Oh my god, my hair is dense, shiny, soft and manageable. It truly is in better condition. I think I found a new holy grail deep conditioning recipe.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
November 30th, 2014, 01:40 AM
:yumm::yumm:
I know a lot of people may tut-tut at using a perfectly good half an avocado in a deep conditioning treatment but I swear it's the best thing that I've ever done for my hair.

I mixed half an avocado with a tablespoon of honey and added a drizzle of olive oil. After shampooing my entire length, I slathered it all over my hair and let it sit while I attended to other showerly tasks. After I rinsed that out, I used my regular conditioner and then rinsed that out.

Oh my god, my hair is dense, shiny, soft and manageable. It truly is in better condition. I think I found a new holy grail deep conditioning recipe.
I've thought about using avocado on my hair before, but could never bring myself to do it. I just love eating them to much! Nomnomnom :yumm:
I do want to start doing deep treatments regularly though as I've kind of neglected them lately.Today I tried the Amika nourishing mask. My hair isn't all the way dry yet, but I can already tell it's super soft. :D

lapushka
November 30th, 2014, 03:24 PM
That would be so organized!

Meh... I have my moments. :lol: ;) :p

ChloeDharma
November 30th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Another methi mask which is my regular sunday thing now it seems. Again soaked the methi, brahmi and henna then added some rosemary and peppermint EO's and some aloe gel. This time I included a little bit of avocado oil too. As usual my hair has been soaking in oils for a few days, mahabhringraj, Khadi vitalising oil, jojoba with rosemary and ylang ylang but no Sesa this week.
This mask is feeling amazing on my head, I have that lovely soothing cool sensation from the peppermint and rosemary. I'll see how this feels when I rinse it out but I suspect I may have just about perfected my recipe, until I get some kapoor kachli obviously.

LauraLongLocks
November 30th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Checking in with an SMT on my length. Also have castor oil infused with rosemary, lavender, and peppermint on my scalp.

ChloeDharma
November 30th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Checking in with an SMT on my length. Also have castor oil infused with rosemary, lavender, and peppermint on my scalp.

For ages I've been tempted to try JBCO but never have then yesterday I broke down and ordered some. I have no idea how I'll fit it into my routine but I'm just so curious. The peppermint in my treatment made my scalp feel amazing! I sat here for an hour and a half just feeling such pleasure! I don't know why this week it was more extreme but I'm certainly not complaining. Even now I've rinsed it off my scalp is feeling all happy and a bit tingly.

The addition of the avocado oil seems to have made my methi pack perfect, my hair feels so soft as well as the usual benefits I get with the methi packs. It's not dry yet so I need to see if it's at all oily once it dries but so far I'm loving this weeks treatment.

LauraLongLocks
November 30th, 2014, 10:48 PM
For ages I've been tempted to try JBCO but never have then yesterday I broke down and ordered some. I have no idea how I'll fit it into my routine but I'm just so curious. The peppermint in my treatment made my scalp feel amazing! I sat here for an hour and a half just feeling such pleasure! I don't know why this week it was more extreme but I'm certainly not complaining. Even now I've rinsed it off my scalp is feeling all happy and a bit tingly.

The addition of the avocado oil seems to have made my methi pack perfect, my hair feels so soft as well as the usual benefits I get with the methi packs. It's not dry yet so I need to see if it's at all oily once it dries but so far I'm loving this weeks treatment.

Mine isn't JBCO... it's Home Health brand castor oil. I don't know if it has to be JBCO to do the job or not.

Johannah
December 1st, 2014, 08:59 AM
Has anyone tried shea butter as a pre-wash?

FallingDarkness
December 1st, 2014, 11:55 AM
Finally got some aloe vera gel, so I'm trying out an SMT for the first time today.
Hope it works for my hair! :)

LauraLongLocks
December 1st, 2014, 04:57 PM
Has anyone tried shea butter as a pre-wash?

Well, I use it almost nightly on my ends after I brush my hair out. So, I guess you might say I use it pre-wash because I use it pretty much all the time.

JellyBene
December 2nd, 2014, 05:18 PM
OOOOO what a great thread! so many wonderful ideas. I usually soak my hair in coconut oil before a wash but it's been forever since I smt'd, maybe I ought to get back to that.

Nadine <3
December 2nd, 2014, 05:41 PM
I had my hair soaking in coconut, olive, and grapeseed oil all day under a showercap and a knit beenie. I got in the shower and used conditioner like I was going to CO wash, and stuck it back under the cap. While it soaked, I did all my other shower stuff, then took off the cap, rinsed and shampoo'd my scalp, used my regular conditioner just on the ends and ended it with a vinegar rinse with tea tree, rosemary, and peppermint EO's. When it was damp yet I spread a drop of grapeseed over all my hair and put it into two dutch braids. Hopefully I have really nice, soft hair in the morning.

Question for you guys, what's a good protein treatment I can try? I've had good results with mane and tail, but I still have white dots and splits on the sides of my head where I have layers. I've been using oil on them for over a year, and now I have a silk pillow case to help it a long, but I think it needs some protein!

meteor
December 2nd, 2014, 07:42 PM
Question for you guys, what's a good protein treatment I can try? I've had good results with mane and tail, but I still have white dots and splits on the sides of my head where I have layers. I've been using oil on them for over a year, and now I have a silk pillow case to help it a long, but I think it needs some protein!

Have you tried DIY gelatin treatment? Science-y Hair Blog article on it: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html
Other effective protein options I like are Megatek and Aphogee 2-step. Just don't use them too often and always follow up with a light moisturizing conditioner.

Nadine <3
December 2nd, 2014, 10:51 PM
Have you tried DIY gelatin treatment? Science-y Hair Blog article on it: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html
Other effective protein options I like are Megatek and Aphogee 2-step. Just don't use them too often and always follow up with a light moisturizing conditioner.

No, I haven't, thank you! Next time I'm at th store I'll get some gelatin. What is Xanthan gum? Would I have to order that, or would walmart carry it??

alishaxmarie
December 3rd, 2014, 12:30 AM
No, I haven't, thank you! Next time I'm at th store I'll get some gelatin. What is Xanthan gum? Would I have to order that, or would walmart carry it??

Sciencey provides more than one gelatin recipe, you were given the one for a less runny treatment (the xantham gum is meant to thicken it up I believe). I literally just mix water and the gelatin for my protein treatment and it works just fine. Here (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html)'s the first gelatin protein treatment recipe, it just calls for vinegar/citric acid and oil to be mixed with the gelatin.

FurryLady
December 3rd, 2014, 01:29 AM
I like to use low fat curd cheese mixed with weatgerm oil and almond oil als a prewash. It's not runny because the curd chese is so thick and I like it so much because it provides more moisture for my hair than just oil does.

Johannah
December 3rd, 2014, 01:50 AM
Well, I use it almost nightly on my ends after I brush my hair out. So, I guess you might say I use it pre-wash because I use it pretty much all the time.

Doesn't it feel heavy? Hmm... I'm going to search a store where I can buy a bit of shea butter. There's no harm in trying, right? ;)

Verdandi
December 3rd, 2014, 03:50 AM
I did yet another deep conditioning in the sauna yesterday. Washed my hair with diluted shampoo and covered it in Desert Essence coconut conditioner, put up with Ead stick and sat in the sauna for about 45 minutes. Much better result with that conditioner after sauna than I usually get. I also cobvinced my work out friend that deep conditioning in the sauna was a good thing, so she brought her own conditioner this time.

veryhairyfairy
December 3rd, 2014, 07:07 AM
I've been slacking on my DTs lately because my winter dryness dandruff is making me feel fussy about my hair. But I think the catnip tea I've been spraying on my hair and scalp each morning is doing some nice things! For instance, I'm sure there are still flakies on my scalp, but I can't see them because the catnip tea has just enough (oil?) something to make them invisible and keep the flakes attached to my scalp til next wash.

I just found ANOTHER packet of Knox gelatin in my pantry and I wanted to do a protein DT. I know that my hair does not really like it, and still I get the urge. :rolleyes:

Doesn't it feel heavy? Hmm... I'm going to search a store where I can buy a bit of shea butter. There's no harm in trying, right? ;)

If you have any stores in the area that cater to black people, they might have shea butter. I get mine from one of the ubiquitous beauty supply stores in my area, and they always carry really nice raw shea butter. (Also, multi-cultural grocery stores (is this just a US thing?) could have it. )

Johannah
December 3rd, 2014, 07:27 AM
I've been slacking on my DTs lately because my winter dryness dandruff is making me feel fussy about my hair. But I think the catnip tea I've been spraying on my hair and scalp each morning is doing some nice things! For instance, I'm sure there are still flakies on my scalp, but I can't see them because the catnip tea has just enough (oil?) something to make them invisible and keep the flakes attached to my scalp til next wash.

I just found ANOTHER packet of Knox gelatin in my pantry and I wanted to do a protein DT. I know that my hair does not really like it, and still I get the urge. :rolleyes:

If you have any stores in the area that cater to black people, they might have shea butter. I get mine from one of the ubiquitous beauty supply stores in my area, and they always carry really nice raw shea butter. (Also, multi-cultural grocery stores (is this just a US thing?) could have it. )

I've been searching for some shea butter where I live, but I can't find any (or at least not from good quality). After my exams I'll probably go shopping in a big city and there are those 'black' stores, so I'm going to take a look there. Thank you!

LauraLongLocks
December 3rd, 2014, 11:42 AM
I had my hair soaking in coconut, olive, and grapeseed oil all day under a showercap and a knit beenie. I got in the shower and used conditioner like I was going to CO wash, and stuck it back under the cap. While it soaked, I did all my other shower stuff, then took off the cap, rinsed and shampoo'd my scalp, used my regular conditioner just on the ends and ended it with a vinegar rinse with tea tree, rosemary, and peppermint EO's. When it was damp yet I spread a drop of grapeseed over all my hair and put it into two dutch braids. Hopefully I have really nice, soft hair in the morning.

Question for you guys, what's a good protein treatment I can try? I've had good results with mane and tail, but I still have white dots and splits on the sides of my head where I have layers. I've been using oil on them for over a year, and now I have a silk pillow case to help it a long, but I think it needs some protein! I like pre-made stuff because I'm too lazy to make homemade stuff. So, I was really pleased with the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor I tried. You might give that a try.

Doesn't it feel heavy? Hmm... I'm going to search a store where I can buy a bit of shea butter. There's no harm in trying, right? ;) No, it's not heavy, more like it's sticky. I mix it about half and half with coconut oil to help reduce the grabbiness of it. I go light on my application and never have a problem with it weighing down my hair. I recently revived my BBB and started using it again. I find I don't need as much shea and coconut at night after brushing. The natural sebum has conditioned and coated my hair pretty well. I got my shea butter on Amazon, and have a 1 lb block of raw shea butter that will last an eternity.

meteor
December 3rd, 2014, 01:28 PM
Sciencey provides more than one gelatin recipe, you were given the one for a less runny treatment (the xantham gum is meant to thicken it up I believe). I literally just mix water and the gelatin for my protein treatment and it works just fine.
Yup, exactly! That's what I do too. You only need water + gelatin.
I just like to add conditioner to the gelatin + water to make the application easy. I also like to add some honey and oil to it (totally optional), it makes the whole mix more moisturizing.

After a very long time of slacking off, I'm back to doing DTs because winters and heaters are so brutally drying here. Pre-poo oilings and adding oils to conditioners seem to help a lot.

Johannah
December 3rd, 2014, 01:32 PM
No, it's not heavy, more like it's sticky. I mix it about half and half with coconut oil to help reduce the grabbiness of it. I go light on my application and never have a problem with it weighing down my hair. I recently revived my BBB and started using it again. I find I don't need as much shea and coconut at night after brushing. The natural sebum has conditioned and coated my hair pretty well. I got my shea butter on Amazon, and have a 1 lb block of raw shea butter that will last an eternity.

Okay, thank you! :blossom:

maborosi
December 4th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Right now I'm doing great about DT, but need to oil my hair more regularly to keep it soft and healthy. I DT twice a week and would like to use a cassia gloss weekly for the cleansing and strengthening benefits again. It really always did a fantastic job cleansing my scalp and left it with such a nice shimmer and tint to my hair.

LauraLongLocks
December 5th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I slathered my hair and scalp in evoo last night, infused with rosemary, lavender, and peppermint. This morning I shampooed with a sulfate free shampoo for the first time. I hope the results are wonderful. Hair is in a turbie twist right now.

Avis
December 5th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Going to slather my hair with Ostara's salve after I finish detangling. My hair could use a little extra salve; last week I used a different shampoo (the kind my parents had) and accidentally used too much and my hair and scalp felt squeaky clean for days. That sounds like it could be a good thing, but it was really dry and itchy. My sebum seems to be just making a reappearance even now. I'm not sure I'll shampoo today.

stachelbeere
December 5th, 2014, 02:37 PM
I deep condition every week-ish too! My hair loves that, it always ends up super shiny and smooth. I apply the following mask every two to three washes.

Prep: coconut oiling + scalp wash, "towel" dry hair
What I use for the deep conditioning: pretty much SMT, but I add various proteins:
1/3 conditioners: Alterra deep conditioner (http://www.natuerlich-schoener.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/100503-granatapfel.jpg) and Isana oil care conditioer (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0-Dc_3jqWM4/UOqjdv3rCDI/AAAAAAAAAb0/lVcRSarrMoE/s1600/DSC_0337.JPG)
1/3 raw honey (or any honey really, 1 tsp usually)
1/3 aloe vera gel straight from the plant ;) [which is pretty much the only reason I keep one...]
also proteins (btw, one of the conditioners has hydrolised wheat protein already):
- 1 tsp of gelatin (hydrolised collagen) dissolved in hot water
- 4-8 drops of hydrolised keratin (depending on when the last DC treatment was...)
- 4-8 drops of elastin (another protein)

I put this on my hair (ears down, but I also smooth a bit above the ears) for 40 minutes, put a shower cap on, a towel over it to keep my head warm, rinse out, cold citric acid rinse, one last cold rinse.

My hair loves this stuff...

ETA: I noticed that proteins have been brought up in this thread and I'd like to add some info about my protein use. Gelatin treatments are really good for the hair, especially when the ends are rather damaged like mine (and also when done in moderation!) but they are quiet messy because the gelatin water runs down the back and the smell is unpleasant IMHO. Also, according to the sciency hair blog there are lots of different proteins which vary in molecular size [blog entry here in case it hasn't been linked here yet] (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/more-about-protein.html). If you use a variety of proteins on your hair it has a better effect (apparently). So I bought conditioner with wheat proteins as a base and liquid keratin and elastin (there is an online shop which provides a variety of ingredients for DIY cosmetics in my country and the keratin and elastin are quiet cheap ;)).
I also mix two drops of keratin and elastin with my conditioners whenever I wash my hair normally. Works well for my hair, I never experienced it being "over-proteined" (that's not a word, is it?? brain fart.)

Oh and also, as a bonus the dissolved gelatin loses its runniness when mixed with the SMT ;)

I hope this helps someone! :blossom:

LauraLongLocks
December 5th, 2014, 07:57 PM
stachelbeere - that was great. Thank you for sharing.

The results of the olive oil pre-poo I can't really say if it made a huge difference, but I don't think it hurt. The sulphate-free shampoo was not any different than the SLS or SLES I have used in the past, as far as I can tell. I think switching two things at once made it hard for me to tell which thing did what. I think I'll try just one of these things when I shampoo next week and see if I can tell a difference.

Johannah
December 6th, 2014, 11:17 AM
stachelbeere, thank you for explaining. Where did you buy the keratin, if I may ask? ;)

Johannah
December 6th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Heavy oiling tonight with argan oil and I'll leave it overnight. I never used argan oil as a heavy oiling, so I'm curious if my hair likes it.

stachelbeere
December 6th, 2014, 01:52 PM
stachelbeere, thank you for explaining. Where did you buy the keratin, if I may ask? ;)

Hey Johannah, here (http://www.zrobsobiekrem.pl/pl/p/Hydrolizat-keratyny/200) is the link... but it's a Polish website, I'm not sure if they ship abroad. Though it is cheap, 3,99 zł is like 1 Euro ;) + shipping. I'm sure there has got to be a Belgian equivalent for this.

Nadine <3
December 6th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Okie dokie! I bought some gelatin today, and I plan on doing the treatment tomorrow if I have the time. If I run out of time I might have to push it to Monday, but anyways for my first protein treatment I'm wondering how long I should let it sit? I plan on just mixing it with water and going for it.

Edit: Also I was wondering...should I just wet my dirty hair and do it before my shower, or would it be better if I washed and conditioned like I normally do, then apply, let it sit and just rinse it? So many questions lol

meteor
December 6th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Okie dokie! I bought some gelatin today, and I plan on doing the treatment tomorrow if I have the time. If I run out of time I might have to push it to Monday, but anyways for my first protein treatment I'm wondering how long I should let it sit? I plan on just mixing it with water and going for it.

Edit: Also I was wondering...should I just wet my dirty hair and do it before my shower, or would it be better if I washed and conditioned like I normally do, then apply, let it sit and just rinse it? So many questions lol

For the first time, something like 5-15 min would be good. Just make sure your protein concentration is not too high and that you follow up with a moisturizing conditioner (i.e. rich in humectants (honey, glycerin) and emollients like oils).

I'd recommend the treatment on just washed hair, rather than as a pre-poo, because protein is pretty easy to wash out with shampoo and it won't stick as well to dirty hair. Proteins are also effective in leave-ins.

Nadine <3
December 6th, 2014, 03:00 PM
For the first time, something like 5-15 min would be good. Just make sure your protein concentration is not too high and that you follow up with a moisturizing conditioner (i.e. rich in humectants (honey, glycerin) and emollients like oils).

I'd recommend the treatment on just washed hair, rather than as a pre-poo, because protein is pretty easy to wash out with shampoo and it won't stick as well to dirty hair. Proteins are also effective in leave-ins.

Okay, so I'll wash it squeeze out the extra water and then apply the treatment for 15 minutes, rinse and then condition with a good heavy conditioner. Would this be best aplied to just my length, or is this okay to put up near my scalp? I have a ridiculously sensitive scalp that needs to be clean, so I think I'll just do length only. Thank you for the help, and sorry for all the questions! :toast:

Nadine <3
December 7th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Well, I did it! I mixed up the gelatin in some boiling water and quickly found out that gelatin stinks, so I added some yummy smelling conditioner so I could tolerate it. My mom is still saying the kitchen smells... Anyways, my hair feels okay, it's soft and shiny, but it's also a little dry. I think next time I do one, I need to find a heavier conditioner, or I need to add some coconut oil to my regular stuff. Overall, I like the results! It might be something I'll do once a month to help fight the breakage, white dots, and split ends I have on the layers I have left. I will say that it was kind of a pain to do, next time I'm just going to sit in the shower with the cap on for 15 minutes instead of trying to get out and do it. So drippy and messy...

FallingDarkness
December 7th, 2014, 02:12 PM
AAAH! I was supposed to put coconut oil on my hair last night, but I totally forgot :( Too much stress.
I'll do something really nice for my hair next weekend to make up for it - ideas?

veryhairyfairy
December 7th, 2014, 02:41 PM
AAAH! I was supposed to put coconut oil on my hair last night, but I totally forgot :( Too much stress.
I'll do something really nice for my hair next weekend to make up for it - ideas?

You could do a heated oil soak?
Warm your oil and apply a goodly amount, and then put a warm towel or something on your head for as long as you like. (heating is supposed to help oils absorb better)

It's always nice and relaxing for me, much more so than a drippy DT. :)

meteor
December 7th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Well, I did it! I mixed up the gelatin in some boiling water and quickly found out that gelatin stinks, so I added some yummy smelling conditioner so I could tolerate it. My mom is still saying the kitchen smells... Anyways, my hair feels okay, it's soft and shiny, but it's also a little dry. I think next time I do one, I need to find a heavier conditioner, or I need to add some coconut oil to my regular stuff. Overall, I like the results! It might be something I'll do once a month to help fight the breakage, white dots, and split ends I have on the layers I have left. I will say that it was kind of a pain to do, next time I'm just going to sit in the shower with the cap on for 15 minutes instead of trying to get out and do it. So drippy and messy...

Hmm, if it was a bit drying, maybe dilute it in more conditioner next time (lower gelatin ratio), or use more moisturizing conditioner after, or use gelatin treatment as part of your SMT.
SMT + gelatin + oil in one treatment can be both strengthening and moisturizing.

pearlsandpinups
December 7th, 2014, 04:20 PM
After watching this video and drooling over her absolutely PERFECT hair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQf3GKd7-mk

I went out and bought a fresh coconut and made homemade coconut milk to soak my hair in!! :D My husband helped me crack open the coconut and make the coconut milk and we had a lot of fun making it. I added the coconut water to my coconut milk, I don't know if that's beneficial at all but I figured it couldn't hurt. I let my hair soak in it for 1 1/2-2 hours, then did an ACV rinse with the coconut oil/milk/stuff still on. I then washed it off with Pantene ice shine shampoo and conditioned with ice shine conditioner. My hair is currently air drying and I'm so excited to see the results :) So far what's dried feels SO soft, slippery and doesn't appear to be frizzing like my hair usually does air drying, but we'll see!! So excited!

Nadine <3
December 9th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Hmm, if it was a bit drying, maybe dilute it in more conditioner next time (lower gelatin ratio), or use more moisturizing conditioner after, or use gelatin treatment as part of your SMT.
SMT + gelatin + oil in one treatment can be both strengthening and moisturizing.

After it was completely dry I used 2 drops of grapeseed oil and that was enough to fix the dryness. I'm in love with the way my hair feels now, but I think I'll be adding more conditioner to the mix so it's less drying. My hair loved it though, it came out so soft, bouncy and shiny!

alishaxmarie
December 9th, 2014, 12:10 PM

You're the second or third person to say that gelatin stinks and mine smells like absolutely nothing? I don't understand, is my nose broken? lol

I did an SMT last Thursday or Friday without the aloe but with olive oil added and I plan to do another this week with molasses and honey since I've never tried molasses before. It had been a while since I had done one and I didn't realize that I was missing out on the softness of it. I also just tried using MO for the first time so we'll see how that makes my hair feel even though it's a leave-in and not a DT. I'm really hoping it prevents tangles since my hair loves to tangle and never seems to be moisturized enough. Even after an SMT, the next day I'll get white dots which Madora (I believe) said were a sign of needing more moisture.

Nadine <3
December 9th, 2014, 01:14 PM
You're the second or third person to say that gelatin stinks and mine smells like absolutely nothing? I don't understand, is my nose broken? lol

I did an SMT last Thursday or Friday without the aloe but with olive oil added and I plan to do another this week with molasses and honey since I've never tried molasses before. It had been a while since I had done one and I didn't realize that I was missing out on the softness of it. I also just tried using MO for the first time so we'll see how that makes my hair feel even though it's a leave-in and not a DT. I'm really hoping it prevents tangles since my hair loves to tangle and never seems to be moisturized enough. Even after an SMT, the next day I'll get white dots which Madora (I believe) said were a sign of needing more moisture.

Maybe we have different brands? I have the knox brand and it smelled terrible.

pearlsandpinups
December 9th, 2014, 02:06 PM

I use the Knox brand as well but never notice any kind of smell! Huh!

LauraLongLocks
December 9th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Forgot to post... on Monday I did an SMT for 30 minutes.

alishaxmarie
December 9th, 2014, 10:47 PM

I use the Knox brand as well but never notice any kind of smell! Huh!

I have the Knox brand which is why I thought it was strange. Perhaps the boxes at one/two of our stores is older than the others'? When I bought the gelatin I bought like 3 or 4 boxes and ate some of them (by mixing it into my coffee like another user) instead of using them all for my hair so I only have one packet left. The next time I do a protein treatment, which will be sometime during this month, I'll pay extra attention to the scent just because of this feedback and since I'm curious although it really doesn't matter.

DKSABS
December 9th, 2014, 11:16 PM
I did an SMT for 45 minutes last night while soaking in the Jacuzzi tub with Epsom salts and watching an episode of a favorite TV show on Netflix. It felt great to pamper myself. After shampooing my scalp and rinsing out the SMT, I did the LOC method with Toadstool Leave-in, a couple drops of Jojoba/Grapeseed Oil, and finished it off with a little bit of shea butter. My hair looked and felt so awesome last night and today. A friend who knows I have androgenetic alopecia complemented my hair today and said it looks thicker! Love to hear that! Several people gave complements on my hair at work today. Love it when that happens. Snapped this photo before hopping in the van and heading off to work this morning.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff396/DKSABS/Mobile%20Uploads/image-63.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/DKSABS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-63.jpg.html)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
December 10th, 2014, 07:05 AM
DKSABS, your hair looks lovely and shiny in that photo! ;)

I did a deep conditioning with the Amika Nourishing Mask again last night. I might have enough left in my little sample bottle for one or two more uses. I think I'll go ahead and get a full size one because I really really like it. Last time I used it my hair was noticeably softer and smoother for days. :D

MsPharaohMoan
December 10th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I did an SMT for 45 minutes last night while soaking in the Jacuzzi tub with Epsom salts and watching an episode of a favorite TV show on Netflix. It felt great to pamper myself. After shampooing my scalp and rinsing out the SMT, I did the LOC method with Toadstool Leave-in, a couple drops of Jojoba/Grapeseed Oil, and finished it off with a little bit of shea butter. My hair looked and felt so awesome last night and today. A friend who knows I have androgenetic alopecia complemented my hair today and said it looks thicker! Love to hear that! Several people gave complements on my hair at work today. Love it when that happens. Snapped this photo before hopping in the van and heading off to work this morning.

Wow! That sounds heavenly and your hair really seems to have loved that pampering. You look great!

kdaniels8811
December 10th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Checking in - doing SMT and rosemary sugar scalp scrub right now!

xsweetpotatox
December 10th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Would it be overkill to do SMT every day this week? I unknowingly was using a protein rich product every time I showered, and my hair is very inelastic right now. All of my shed hairs snap instantly when I test them, and I desperately want to fix it.

veryhairyfairy
December 10th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Would it be overkill to do SMT every day this week? I unknowingly was using a protein rich product every time I showered, and my hair is very inelastic right now. All of my shed hairs snap instantly when I test them, and I desperately want to fix it.

I used to use an SMT every time I washed! I've been there with the protein overkill; clarifying first will greatly help get rid of the buildup, and then SMT away!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

LadyCelestina
December 10th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Did a DT last week and I think I also did one the week before :thumbsup: well worth it,my hair felt really good this week.

MsPharaohMoan
December 10th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Been a month and a half last time I DCed. Hair is still drying, hope it feels nice...

DKSABS
December 10th, 2014, 05:35 PM
DKSABS, your hair looks lovely and shiny in that photo! ;)

I did a deep conditioning with the Amika Nourishing Mask again last night. I might have enough left in my little sample bottle for one or two more uses. I think I'll go ahead and get a full size one because I really really like it. Last time I used it my hair was noticeably softer and smoother for days. :D

Thank you! Glad you found a DT product that you like.

Wow! That sounds heavenly and your hair really seems to have loved that pampering. You look great!

Thank you so much! Before soaking in the jacuzzi tub with the DT on my hair, I had a 1 hour massage right after work. My daughter was trying to leave the baby with me while she ran off that night and I said NO. I have the baby every night from the minute I walk in the door until I get her to bed around 11 or midnight or sometimes even later. My daughter works nights so that I can watch the baby after getting home from work. I had big plans for the massage, bath, DT, air drying then foam rolling my hair before going to bed. I wasn't about to give up those plans to watch the baby on what was supposed to be my night off.

LauraLongLocks
December 13th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Checking in...

Thursday night I slathered olive oil and coconut oil on my hair and slept on it. Friday morning I washed it out with a sulphate-free shampoo. Now it is Saturday morning and I am marinading in Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask on my length, and I put a caffeine rinse on my scalp at the same time.

I don't like my deep treatment heat cap very well. It's one that you microwave to warm it up. The nice thing is being able to be mobile while wearing it since I'm not plugged in. What I don't like about it is uneven heat, and the weight of the gel packs on my head. What's your favorite deep treatment heat cap?

dancingrain91
December 13th, 2014, 10:56 AM
I did a DT with Nexxus Humectress last Saturday. My hair was nice and soft to the ends afterward.

Avis
December 13th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I'll be doing my wash and DC today since yesterday was so busy. I'm looking forward to it, I really like Ostara's salve.

FallingDarkness
December 13th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Hey, so I'm gonna do an oil treatment tonight with both olive and coconut oils. Wondering if it would be okay to add honey to that mixture, or if that'd just be a mess. :P
My hair generally likes honey in my conditioner but I still have yet to find aloe vera gel (grr) so no SMT this weekend. . . Advice?

FallingDarkness
December 14th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Hot oil treatment today. I didn't add any honey, but for just sitting around the house studying, I think it'll do the trick.

meteor
December 14th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Hey, so I'm gonna do an oil treatment tonight with both olive and coconut oils. Wondering if it would be okay to add honey to that mixture, or if that'd just be a mess. :P
My hair generally likes honey in my conditioner but I still have yet to find aloe vera gel (grr) so no SMT this weekend. . . Advice?

Yes, I've done this many times as a pre-poo and I love it. It washes out easily with standard S&C, leaving hair very soft.
The only reason I normally prefer simple oil treatment (without the honey) is that it's a bit easier to apply and I don't feel the need to cover it with a plastic cap. To make oil+honey easier to apply, you can always add some conditioner to the mix or any other emulsion to water down the honey and make it less sticky.

FallingDarkness
December 14th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Yes, I've done this many times as a pre-poo and I love it. It washes out easily with standard S&C, leaving hair very soft.
The only reason I normally prefer simple oil treatment (without the honey) is that it's a bit easier to apply and I don't feel the need to cover it with a plastic cap. To make oil+honey easier to apply, you can always add some conditioner to the mix or any other emulsion to water down the honey and make it less sticky.

Oh sweet! Thanks so much. I'm breaking my rule of once a week washing this week because I have to wash my hair on Thursday as well (have to wear my hair down for my school choir concert on Friday, don't wanna be a greasy mess :P ) so I'll try that out as a prepoo then. . . . Or maybe I'll find some aloe vera by then. >:(

I assume it'd wash out as easily with CWC? I LOVE my CWC, especially when I go OCWC, my hair is sooo soft. <3

meteor
December 14th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Oh sweet! Thanks so much. I'm breaking my rule of once a week washing this week because I have to wash my hair on Thursday as well (have to wear my hair down for my school choir concert on Friday, don't wanna be a greasy mess :P ) so I'll try that out as a prepoo then. . . . Or maybe I'll find some aloe vera by then. >:(

I assume it'd wash out as easily with CWC? I LOVE my CWC, especially when I go OCWC, my hair is sooo soft. <3
Sounds great! :D
Yes, it washes out with CWC, just as well. But I'd only do this when I have time and a big stash of conditioner I want to use up. You can do oil+honey as the first step in your OCWC routine.
I'd only caution against doing honey+oil every single wash, because it gets greasy faster. It's a pretty intense mask, but I highly recommend this for very dry/damaged/porous hair.

FallingDarkness
December 14th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Sounds great! :D
Yes, it washes out with CWC, just as well. But I'd only do this when I have time and a big stash of conditioner I want to use up. You can do oil+honey as the first step in your OCWC routine.
I'd only caution against doing honey+oil every single wash, because it gets greasy faster. It's a pretty intense mask, but I highly recommend this for very dry/damaged/porous hair.

Ooh good point. I always have lots of conditioner (Vo5 is sooo cheap) so using up a lot of it each wash isn't a problem, especially when I only wash 4 times a month :P It feels like so few for me, and I can't imagine going back to washing every day, but I'm sure for others on this site 4 times a month is frequent LOL.
I probably won't honey + oil every time, I just wanted to give it a gander once or twice, especially in the dry winter months. :P
Thanks so much :)

LauraLongLocks
December 14th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I'm going to have to give the oil and honey a try before my next wash. Sounds luxurious, and my poor splitting ends can use all the help they can get.

pearlsandpinups
December 14th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I did a treatment of shea butter, olive oil and sunflower oil all whipped up! :)

MsPharaohMoan
December 15th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Clarified to get all the protein, conditioner and oil I've put on my hair this past month off. Then I mixed a manic panic deep condish. I'll be purple again soon, yay! I missed the purple and my pre lhc hair is a horrendous shade compared to my natural roots. But boy do I hate having this goop/plastic bag/hat sit on my head. Humbug!

cat11
December 15th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I deep conditioned with a keratin deep conditioner protein pack mixed with my regular conditioner and then rinse with cold water after an oiling :D

skeletonous
December 15th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Ooh what a great thread idea :) maybe it'll help me do pre-poo treatments more often! I plan on doing one on this upcoming wash night.

skeletonous
December 17th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Last night I did my usual pre-poo oiling (coconut oil). I heated up about half a tablespoon of it in the microwave and put it on my hair with a shower cap, and left it on for a little over half an hour before washing it out with Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo and V05 Shea Cashmere conditioner. I try to do this at least every other week but I'm trying to get more routine with it.

jupiterinleo
December 17th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Checking back in! :D I feel I'm overdue for a DC.

I've been experimenting with heavy cones lately, though. Should I clarify before a deep treatment? I only recently jumped back into cones after years of a cone-free hiatus and am still trying to get into the groove of it, ya dig?

Also, does doing regular DT's help anyone in preventing splits?

LauraLongLocks
December 18th, 2014, 12:23 AM
I'm hoping it does, JupiterinLeo. I have been fighting quite the battle against split ends. I decided to get serious about deep conditioning, and try pre-poo oiling, as well as BBBing twice a day. I think I'm making progress. My hair certainly feels softer and more delightful than ever before in my life.

Ferngear
December 18th, 2014, 12:48 AM

I deep condition every time I wash (once a week) if I have the time, (cuz, ya know, a girl's gotta go to work some time!) and don't let my hair go more that two weeks without it. I've been doing this for the last six months or so. I started trying egg protein packs last week, too. I had lots of split ends a few months ago and went through and trimmed them out. Did a few more S&D in the week after, then got lazy about it. Just last night I went looking for new split ends and hardly found any. I can only assume it's the DT's because the weather had only gotten drier and hotter. I usually follow up any wash with a little argan oil on my ends, but I've been doing that for a while now.

LauraLongLocks
December 18th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I deep condition every time I wash (once a week) if I have the time, (cuz, ya know, a girl's gotta go to work some time!) and don't let my hair go more that two weeks without it. I've been doing this for the last six months or so. I started trying egg protein packs last week, too. I had lots of split ends a few months ago and went through and trimmed them out. Did a few more S&D in the week after, then got lazy about it. Just last night I went looking for new split ends and hardly found any. I can only assume it's the DT's because the weather had only gotten drier and hotter. I usually follow up any wash with a little argan oil on my ends, but I've been doing that for a while now.

You are giving me hope!

FallingDarkness
December 18th, 2014, 04:28 PM
OMG. Putting coconut oil/honey heated mixture on hair is sooooo strange. O: I can't even describe it. It wasn't really sticky, just harder to apply than expected... Oh well, it'll be on my head for the next 5 hours, then I'll do a CWC and hope for the best. :)

meteor
December 18th, 2014, 04:50 PM
OMG. Putting coconut oil/honey heated mixture on hair is sooooo strange. O: I can't even describe it. It wasn't really sticky, just harder to apply than expected... Oh well, it'll be on my head for the next 5 hours, then I'll do a CWC and hope for the best. :)

It's a lot easier to apply when it's warmed up and diluted with water or conditioner. I wouldn't be able to keep that mixture for 5 hours (1 hour was probably my maximum), so I'm curious about your results. :)

I think it does, if your splits are caused by dryness (e.g. seasonal dryness or dryness due to hair being processed).

If splits are caused by being rough on hair (mechanical damage), then it's a lot more important to put hair up, be gentle while detangling and sleep on silk/satin with hair contained - rather than do DTs.

Ingrid
December 18th, 2014, 05:02 PM
I did a gelatin treatment on my ends this week. They feel much less crunchy and tangly. Growing out dye damage is such a long process!!

LauraLongLocks
December 18th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I'm going to a beauty school tomorrow for a deep moisturizing conditioning treatment and scalp massage. My husband went a couple weeks ago for a haircut to this place and raved about how amazing it was. They even gave him a hot towel for his face. He made it sound so great that I wanted to be pampered, too. I do NOT want my hair cut, however, so I decided to just book the appointment for shampooing, deep treatment, and scalp massage. I hope that they have fun with my hair and that I have fun being pampered. It has been so long since I went to a salon!

I have decided to go in all oiled up like I normally do before a shampoo. I hope it doesn't gross them out that I'll be slathered in olive oil infused with essential oils. I'll bring my own seamless combs for them to use, and will take a minute to explain how I don't want tangles ripped through with the combs. I am also going to request a shampoo that is either sulphate-free or SLES so it is not as drying to my hair. I hope no one tries to talk me into a trim, because I could cave and get 1 cm trimmed off if there was a lot of pressure to trim. Or maybe I would tell them if they wanted to do a slow S&D, they could do that, haha!

Ferngear
December 19th, 2014, 12:55 AM

Did you put it on dry or wet hair? I'm jealous of your 5 hours, by the way. 2 is my max, then I'm bored and need to get out of the house, or else I can't stand the wait anymore.

Does anyone know if the type of honey used makes a difference? I recently found out we have a honey farm near where I live that has a dozen different types of honey. I think my hair likes the dark avocado honey better than the light wildflower, and I think the crystals in the raw honey might be a little abrasive on my strands. Anyone try eucalyptus honey?

jupiterinleo
December 19th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the insight! I've been getting way less splits, but I'm actually not sure if it's the coney serum I've been adding to the ends or the fact that I've finally cut out the last of the dye damage. Probably a mixture of both. I'm gonna try doing more DCing to see if that helps.

meteor
December 19th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Did you put it on dry or wet hair? I'm jealous of your 5 hours, by the way. 2 is my max, then I'm bored and need to get out of the house, or else I can't stand the wait anymore.

Does anyone know if the type of honey used makes a difference? I recently found out we have a honey farm near where I live that has a dozen different types of honey. I think my hair likes the dark avocado honey better than the light wildflower, and I think the crystals in the raw honey might be a little abrasive on my strands. Anyone try eucalyptus honey?

Wow, that's so cool that you get access to such awesome types of honey. To be honest, I would use such good quality honey primarily as a sweetener in food or as a skin mask / honey wash, as my skin loves honey. :)
My hair does well with ordinary honey and even syrup, as it's the humectant action of sugar that works on hair.

I apply honey+oil mask on damp or wet hair: it's so much easier to apply it this way.

Which oils do you use in your honey+oil masks? I always did mine with EVOO. It's kind of the only way I can tolerate olive oil, as it's way too heavy as a leave-in, though I love how it works.

Halliday
December 19th, 2014, 01:08 PM
I'm going to a beauty school tomorrow for a deep moisturizing conditioning treatment and scalp massage.

I wish there was one of these near me :( Have fun!

FallingDarkness
December 19th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Hey! I put my honey/coconut oil mixture on dry hair, and threw it all up under my shower cap, then, um, showered with my CWC.
My results were PHEMONENAL, by the way. My hair is crazy smooth and soft, and my ends aren't crunchy anymore.

Maybe next time I'll put in some conditioner or water into the mix to make it easier LOL.
Also, my hair smells really pretty. :P

meteor
December 19th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Yay! :happydance: I'm so happy that it worked out for you so well, FallingDarkness!
And yes, don't be afraid to apply on damp hair and dilute it with conditioner or water: it really won't reduce the effectiveness, but will surely make the application easier. And you could use that mix as your first step in CWC, if you want to save some time.

I should go back to oil+honey, too. It's definitely my preferred way of DT for hair that is super-dry or has just undergone heavy protein treatment.

molljo
December 19th, 2014, 09:19 PM
After my trim today, I realized the stylist didn't use nearly enough conditioner when washing my hair, and even though it was professionally done (which usually hides things like dryness) so it felt kind of like straw. So, I hopped in the shower and layered two conditioners on, I'm talking 3 golf ball-sized portions and basically tried to drown my hair in conditioner, that's how bad it felt. I let it sit there in the steam of the shower for about 15 minutes, rinsed, LOCed as usual.

My hair is sooo soft. It hasn't felt this soft in a long, long time. I'm so happy and relieved! I've never had to do an EMERGENCY deep treatment before, but this was needed and thankfully very successful.

Ferngear
December 20th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Which oils do you use in your honey+oil masks? I always did mine with EVOO. It's kind of the only way I can tolerate olive oil, as it's way too heavy as a leave-in, though I love how it works.

I have a small apothecary cabinet full of stuff, so I alternate. Some days it's apricot oil, some days jojoba. I've found that olive oil is usually too heavy and if I apply just olive oil on dry hair to soak, when I wash it out my hair feels even more dry. (weird, I know) Mostly jojoba, though, because it's a lighter oil and has natural vitamin E. I'll usually add a few drops of essential oil, too, something soothing and gentle like geranium, chamomile, rose, or if it's hot, peppermint. If I'm not feeling too lazy I'll add a little coconut oil or cocoa butter to the mix. I always add a little argan, both to the treatment and to my ends when I'm done. I never use the exact same mix twice in a row because a) I don't write it down and I forget what I used, and b) sometimes my hair needs more oil, sometimes less. I'm still figuring out the perfect recipe.

I do use the honey for facial masks, too, when my rosacea flares up. It's really nice with sandalwood powder, turmeric and rose water -- this mask works better the long it sits so it's good to use in conjunction with a lengthy deep conditioning (to be honest it looks like poo, but it feels and smells divine). Yogurt and honey makes a great mask, too, and if you any left over you have a tasty treat! ;) I tried just yogurt and honey on my hair but with the water it was too runny and dribbled down my neck even with a shower cap and towel .... ewwww...sticky.

meteor
December 20th, 2014, 09:21 AM
^ Great stuff! Thanks so much for sharing this, Ferngear! :D

I know what you mean about adjusting oil mixes and amounts to your hair's immediate needs. I always vary amounts and types of oils depending on how parched my hair looks/feels.

As for the runny yogurt problems you mentioned, I never have any issues with full-fat yogurt and greek yogurt: high fat or high protein content keeps it thick. Or you can use it straight from the fridge, or you can probably add some shea/cocoa butter to a runny, low-fat yogurt to give it thickness and fatty acid boost. I can only use yogurt in pre-poo, because I want to ensure I won't be left with that smell. Yogurt is a star ingredient in many commercial hair masks these days.
Does anybody else find that yogurt straightens hair a tiny bit and gives it shine?

Halliday
December 20th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Just can't be bothered to do oil treatments anymore :( I'm starting to wonder if they actually did anything to my hair in the first place or just sat on top of the cuticle until I washed it out.

meteor
December 20th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Just can't be bothered to do oil treatments anymore :( I'm starting to wonder if they actually did anything to my hair in the first place or just sat on top of the cuticle until I washed it out.

Yes, that's not uncommon, actually. If your hair is low porosity, not processed/damaged, then oils might not be that useful. Lucky! :D

pearlsandpinups
December 20th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Doing an SMT right now! :D Can't wait to see the results! I used Pantene's Ice Shine conditioner, and aloe juice instead of gel (It was all I had!) hopefully my results will still be great. :D

Update: My hair LOVED it! This is the FIRST time I've ever been able to air dry my hair and it's... not frizzy! My hair's so SHINY too! My hair's normally pretty shiny, but tonight with just a little bit of my coney smoothing serum it's almost Pantene commercial shine! LOVE IT!!

AmberJewel
December 20th, 2014, 07:05 PM
I did one the other night! It was late and I was feeling reckless, so I heated up some olive oil, honey, and conditioner on the stove and combed it through my hair. Slept on it, then washed it out in the morning. It felt kind of weird at first but turned out so soft afterwards! I may not have rinsed it well enough though since it still looks a tad... oily. Planning on a WO rinse tonight to fix that.

LauraLongLocks
December 21st, 2014, 12:43 AM
Not really worth paying to have a deep condition treatment at a beauty school. I don't understand the logic of shampooing after rinsing the deep conditioner out. I think I'll go back for the scalp massage though. Poor student was afraid to comb my hair for fear of breaking a hair. I appreciated her being so careful, but the detangling took much longer than if I would have done it myself. I probably could have avoided most of the tangles she created, anyway. Well, lesson learned. I thought it would be fun. It was sort of fun to be pampered. My hair is super static now because the 2x shampooing was not a good choice for it. I'm exhausted now, but tomorrow morning I'm going to deep condition again and not shampoo afterwards.

Ferngear
December 21st, 2014, 12:58 AM
Sorry your pampering went awry, Laura. Perhaps your inconvenience and sacrifice taught that student a valuable lesson about long hair?

A general question for anyone who uses yogurt: What exactly is the difference between greek yogurt and regular yogurt, conditioner-wise? Is there one?

Halliday
December 21st, 2014, 03:01 AM
Yes, that's not uncommon, actually. If your hair is low porosity, not processed/damaged, then oils might not be that useful. Lucky! :D

Ah this may be why! Thank you! Yes, my hair is low porosity and neither damaged nor processed.

Achlys
December 21st, 2014, 03:51 AM
I mixed some heavy conditioner with a bit of coconut oil, honey, and lavender EO. Sitting right now with it and a heat pack on my head. My ends have been dry lately, we'll see if this helps.

meteor
December 21st, 2014, 04:26 PM
A general question for anyone who uses yogurt: What exactly is the difference between greek yogurt and regular yogurt, conditioner-wise? Is there one?
Both greek yogurt and full-fat yogurt have thicker texture, so easier to apply if you don't like runny products.
I don't know if the high protein content (that characterizes greek yogurt) is particularly helpful for hair... chances are it's not, even though I read on Science-y Hair Blog (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/) that some of that protein may be broken up (hydrolyzed) by fermentation and be small enough for hair... I don't know if I saw any difference, personally speaking.
But fat content is pretty important: stick to full-fat yogurt (or even sour cream) if your hair is dry, and to low-fat yogurt if it's oily. You can successfully add oils to yogurt for very dry hair.
I know traditionally you are supposed to use plain yogurt, but I see no problem in the ones with sugar/honey/syrups - they are nice humectants.
Also, what makes yogurt hydrating for hair and skin is its lactic acid - it's a mild humectant, and it's used in many hair and skin care products these days.
Generally, yogurt is a good ingredient for those people who really want to keep haircare "natural" and try to avoid commercial conditioners for whatever reason.

houlihan
December 22nd, 2014, 07:26 AM
Have just done an overnight SMT for the first time. My hair's still damp at the moment, so I can't entirely tell how much better it is than just leaving it on for an hour or so, but my hair felt like silk as I was rinsing it...

LauraLongLocks
December 22nd, 2014, 08:51 AM
Have just done an overnight SMT for the first time. My hair's still damp at the moment, so I can't entirely tell how much better it is than just leaving it on for an hour or so, but my hair felt like silk as I was rinsing it...

I have read that oils should be left on overnight because they take hours to absorb into the hair, but conditioners reach their maximum ability to absorb within 30 minutes.

LadyLongLocks
December 22nd, 2014, 09:20 AM
Not really worth paying to have a deep condition treatment at a beauty school. I don't understand the logic of shampooing after rinsing the deep conditioner out. I think I'll go back for the scalp massage though. Poor student was afraid to comb my hair for fear of breaking a hair. I appreciated her being so careful, but the detangling took much longer than if I would have done it myself. I probably could have avoided most of the tangles she created, anyway. Well, lesson learned. I thought it would be fun. It was sort of fun to be pampered. My hair is super static now because the 2x shampooing was not a good choice for it. I'm exhausted now, but tomorrow morning I'm going to deep condition again and not shampoo afterwards.

Yes, she should have only rinsed with warm/cool water! Sorry your experience was not great. Try a long hair salon, preferably a George Michael trained staff. Its the only salon I have been to in 30 years! The experience was wonderful. Too bad they are few and far between. I got the one hr deep treatment (took 8 hrs in all) but it was great and my hair was incredible afterwards.

LauraLongLocks
December 22nd, 2014, 10:42 AM
Yes, she should have only rinsed with warm/cool water! Sorry your experience was not great. Try a long hair salon, preferably a George Michael trained staff. Its the only salon I have been to in 30 years! The experience was wonderful. Too bad they are few and far between. I got the one hr deep treatment (took 8 hrs in all) but it was great and my hair was incredible afterwards.
I live too far away to ever get to a GM long hair salon, and I can't afford to travel. I ended up just doing a co-wash this morning, and didn't have time for another deep condition. I managed to not create any tangles throughout washing my hair and getting it dry. This actually isn't too hard, once you know how.

houlihan
December 22nd, 2014, 11:52 AM
I have read that oils should be left on overnight because they take hours to absorb into the hair, but conditioners reach their maximum ability to absorb within 30 minutes.

Mm, it doesn't seem to have really worked any better than usual. I think if anything it's just made my hair a bit lank and oily because the conditioner had dried and was really hard to wash out. Ah well. It was worth a try :)

BrightEyes
December 22nd, 2014, 02:26 PM
I'm sorry your deep treatment wasn't what you hoped it would be LauraLongLocks. I also think it odd that she shampooed after rinsing out the DT. Kind of defeats the purpose of the DT, I think :confused:

I was just thinking that I need to start up regular deep treatments. So today I shampooed with my regular Pureology Hydrate shampoo, then used Pureology Hydrate Hydra Whip Masque. My hair is very soft and silky now. Need to remember to do this weekly.

MINAKO
December 22nd, 2014, 03:32 PM
love the idea for this, so im joining!
before going to bed i will apply kiehls argan oil pak, some avocado oil and some castor oil right at my scalp. will rinse that of in the morning, CO and rise with coffee, sage, molasses rinse. then apply a light protein treatment, some kiehls silk groom and shine serum through the lengths and some nipple cream on my ends... basically what i do everytime i wash, but sometimes i leave the pre poo on for the entire next day, lol, nobody will notice in a bun anyways.

LauraLongLocks
December 22nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry your deep treatment wasn't what you hoped it would be LauraLongLocks. I also think it odd that she shampooed after rinsing out the DT. Kind of defeats the purpose of the DT, I think :confused:

I was just thinking that I need to start up regular deep treatments. So today I shampooed with my regular Pureology Hydrate shampoo, then used Pureology Hydrate Hydra Whip Masque. My hair is very soft and silky now. Need to remember to do this weekly.

I had my head in a bowl and couldn't see what she had going on behind me, but I'm now beginning to wonder if she skipped shampooing before applying the deep conditioner. When she started shampooing it after the deep conditioner, I asked her why she was doing it and she said because of the oil that I had applied to my hair prior to coming in. She only applied the deep conditioner to my length. I wonder if she put it on over my oil without shampooing first?? Whatever. If there is ever a next time, I'll be sure and find out for sure what they are going to do before they do it.

battles
December 22nd, 2014, 05:18 PM
I'm doing a gelatin treatment (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html). :) I'm so due for one. It's so drippy but it makes my hair so shiny and pretty.

veryhairyfairy
December 24th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Alright, I'm definitely doing an SMT today! I keep saying that I will, and then flaking out, but no more!
I bought glycerin yesterday to avoid the stickiness of honey, and I got some avocado oil to try out, too.

I think I'm going to apply the SMT to dry or damp hair and then CO wash everything twice to get all of the humectants out. (The air in my apartment is very dry because of indoor heating, it's stressful for me to worry about my hair getting drier and drier from leftover glycerin)

So by the end of today, my hair should have been conditioned THRICE! Let's see what happens! :)

Halliday
December 24th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I'm doing a hair mask tonight with my L'Oreal Elvive Nutrigloss hair mask (conefree!!). I want soft hair for Christmas Day. I also need to wet set it so it comes out nice and different, but IDK what wet set style to do.

houlihan
December 24th, 2014, 10:04 AM
After my not so successful SMT the other day, last night I slathered my hair in coconut oil. It's been on for about 18 hours now. I'm going to shampoo it out (CO never seems to properly get coconut oil out for me, and I've not shampooed for a week and a half anyway) then hopefully have beautiful hair for Christmas day!

LauraLongLocks
December 24th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I am marinading in Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque w/ Sea Kelp and Argan Oil. It says it's for dry and damaged hair. We shall see if it does anything spectacular for me.

MINAKO
December 24th, 2014, 12:23 PM
checking in again with goldwell kerasilk ultra rich treatment, argan oil and sesame oil on my head.
im at my moms house for the holidays and will probably DC every other night before going to bed and just rinse in the morning. sometimes i do this for weeks and then my hair is extra uhmm juicy but fantastic once washes with a light conditioner. it soaks up alot of treatment but need its time to do that.

LauraLongLocks
December 24th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Deep conditioner has been rinsed out and my hair is dry. It feels like silk.

MINAKO
December 24th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Deep conditioner has been rinsed out and my hair is dry. It feels like silk.

ahh, that feeling is so awesome, right! i love when i really take my time and then can feel the difference after.
:highfive:

LauraLongLocks
December 24th, 2014, 03:50 PM
ahh, that feeling is so awesome, right! i love when i really take my time and then can feel the difference after.
:highfive:

:hifive: Yay!

Crumpet
December 24th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I *finally* did a short deep treatment last night: a shea butter one. Even though it was only for ten minutes (or less, okay, definitely less!), my hair feels silkier. I'm going to try to keep up the momentum and do a cassia treatment/deep treatment next week.

veryhairyfairy
December 25th, 2014, 07:50 AM
My SMT and subsequent THREE CO washes made my hair feel so much thicker and heavier! It still hasn't completely dried, but it definitely liked the long and exorbitant DT it got yesterday.

I kind of messed up my days and I have to wash again today (going out of town starting tomorrow). I'm thinking I might try to avoid over-conditioning by doing my normal diluted shampoo wash and following with just one conditioner (usually I do it twice).

Red'N'Curly
December 26th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Sitting with overripe avacado, honey and olive oil on my hair, under a grocery bag ant turbie twist. I've never doNE much deep conditioning before so I'm excited to see what happens! I've ordered some aloe gel from amazon, so next week I'll try the SMT.

Question: I currently CO wash. Can I use the SMT with that? Like leave the stuff to marinade overnight then just rinse out? Or does it need to be shampooed out? My hair hates shampoo!

Nadine <3
December 26th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Sitting with a DT on my head. Just my regular conditioner, honey, aloe, and a smidgen of coconut oil.

Larki
December 26th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Sitting with overripe avacado, honey and olive oil on my hair, under a grocery bag ant turbie twist. I've never doNE much deep conditioning before so I'm excited to see what happens! I've ordered some aloe gel from amazon, so next week I'll try the SMT.

Question: I currently CO wash. Can I use the SMT with that? Like leave the stuff to marinade overnight then just rinse out? Or does it need to be shampooed out? My hair hates shampoo!
I co-wah as well and I use conditioner after a deep conditioning just fine. :)

LauraLongLocks
December 26th, 2014, 03:48 PM

The SMT doesn't need to be cleansed out of your hair at all. Simply rinsing with water will do it.

wilderwein
December 26th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Sitting with a mix of sunflower oil, olive oil and honey on my head, I will leave it overnight, I had a failure thought with the honey, I warmed it and then mixed it with the oils but it set on the bottom and became caramelish so I applied on my hair only the oil from the top....