PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wash your hair?

paper
September 25th, 2008, 06:36 AM
And, what method and products do you use?

I wash my hair twice a week.
CWC method.
V05 Tea Therapy for first Conditioner.
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo and Giovanni 50/50 for final Conditioner.

Addy
September 25th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I am averaging twice a week now and have been condition, rinse, conditioning the rest of the time. I have been using Garnier color shampoo and conditioner for the last couple months.

Today, I used Samy conditioner because I think my ds has been conditioning only because the shampoo bottle hasn't gone down. <he's growing it long too> What can I say, I don't blame him. :D

AJoifulNoise
September 25th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I find it easiest to put it this way:

Saturday: Full-strength, sulphate shampoo and heavy conditioner.
Sunday: NW
Monday: CO (possible vinegar rinse)
Tuesday: Gentle, sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner.
Wednesday: CO
Thursday: CO
Friday: CO (possible heavy oiling in the evening)

I pretty much stick to that schedule. Though, sometimes I switch Monday and Tuesday depending on how oily my hair is.

CO conditioners: Herbal Essences (Hello Hydration, Break's Over, None of Your Frizzness)

Gentle Shampoos: Shampoo Bars (Mud & Clay), Dairy Whip Soap (Coconut, Almond & Honey)

Shampoos: Herbal Essences (Hello Hydration, None of Your Frizzness)

Heavy Conditioners: John Frieda Brilliant Brunette, Organix (Coconut or Mocha Espresso)

Calista
September 25th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Once a week, Chagrin Valley shampoo bar.

Arctic
September 25th, 2008, 07:03 AM
And, what method and products do you use?

I wash my hair twice a week.
CWC method.
V05 Tea Therapy for first Conditioner.
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo and Giovanni 50/50 for final Conditioner.

I wash every other way, my scalp freaks out if I try to strech the washes. I use mainly CWC method, sometimes S+C. I clarify when needed. I'm really happy with my washing rhythm now and it feels nice and liberating to give myself a permission to not trying to strech shampoos and to not feel guilty/bad about it.

I usually use Finnish brand XZ shampoos and condishes. For clarifying I use Finnish Herbina clarifying shampoo, and when needed I use Nizoral. For deep treatment I use Finnish 4R deep moisture treatment.

ETA: I have started to dilute the shampoos recently

jivete
September 25th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I wash approximately every other day or Mon-Wed-Fri mornings and Sat afternoon. I'm pretty much CO with some Indian herbs thrown in every once in a while. I use shampoo very rarely any more, maybe 2x in the last 6 months. I usually try to deep condition on Sat with the heated head wrap.

lora410
September 25th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Daily here. I co for 2 days, cwc, and then CO for 2 more days etc.

Siava
September 25th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Every other day. CO only unless I've put gel in my hair. If that's the case I'll use some diluted clarifying shampoo and CO the heck out of it.

HairyCarrie
September 25th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I'm a shorty and still learning what everyone does with their hair care. I'm just curious to know (on subsequent responses to the thread)... on the days you don't shampoo or condition your hair - are you still wetting it or putting it in a shower cap or high bun to keep it dry?

AJoifulNoise
September 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I'm a shorty and still learning what everyone does with their hair care. I'm just curious to know (on subsequent responses to the thread)... on the days you don't shampoo or condition your hair - are you still wetting it or putting it in a shower cap or high bun to keep it dry?

When I don't wash I generally bun my hair and put it under a shower cap. But, it depends on what I want to do with my hair. Certain styles demand that I at least dampen my hair. For that I use a mister.

Altocumulus
September 25th, 2008, 08:10 AM
CO once every 5 to 7 days, WO the other days (I wet my hair every day).

Honigwein
September 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week depending on the heat. Once I use Natura maracujá(passion fruit) shampoo/conditioner and the next time a Natura Nutriplant shampoo/conditioner with cocoa butter. Once a week I apply olive oil with coconut milk and a small honey spoon and jaborandi.

NeilTheFuzz
September 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I wash my hair about every 5 days or so, depending on what sort of exercise I do. I wash my hair in a pretty normal way I guess: first shampoo, rinse. Then leave in conditioner for 10 minutes or so, rinse. Easy as that! I normally use Aussie Miracle Moist shampoo and conditioner.

Neil

spidermom
September 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I wash my hair whenever it needs to be washed, usually twice per week. Method: CWC with diluted shampoo or S&C, currently using Save Your Hair, Save Your World shampoo and conditioner. Days between I keep my hair dry.

Monsterkitti
September 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I usually wash twice a week but once a week since Ive been keeping it up all the time.

I wash just my scalp with shampoo. I usually shampoo twice as Ive got hard water where I live at the moment.

Put conditioner on, put up and leave for 10 minutes. Then rinse and give it a cold final rinse if I'm feeling brave :)

I dont generally get my hair wet in between wash days, just bun it on the top of my head.

starfire
September 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Once or twice a week, or as needed (I have to wash if I get sweaty). Right now I'm just shampooing with whatever strikes my fancy, alternating between what's in my shower: T-gel (flakes!), Aloe Rid (clarifying), and a Trader Joe shampoo (sulfate-free). Haven't been using conditioner lately.

On non-wash days, I just bun it (so parts of it get wet, but no biggie).

dearladydisdain
September 25th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Usually every other day, sometimes less. I CWC.

Finoriel
September 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Whenever it needs to be washed :) currently every 10-14 days.
With homemade egg-"shampoo" (1 egg, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon henna, pinch of ascorbic acid) let sit for some minutes (maybe 5), acidic rinse afterwards (chamomile tea, ascorbic acid).

Euphony
September 25th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I wash mine two to three times a week. I try to stretch it out since it takes roughly 8 hours for my hair to dry and I hate having wet hair so long so often.

Roughly the first two washings I wash with hair soap on the scalp only, I wash twice, then rinse and rinse again with a citric acid solution, I generally don't use a conditioner on this washing. The third washing I tend to grab my ABBA shampoo, wash twice, only on the scalp, rinse, use gobs of "L 'Oreal Vive Pro for wavy or curly hair that's long" - that's kind of how I clean my length - granted I get enough lather going on that the lather travels down the length...but it's getting more difficult for it to make it to the bottom <YEAH!!>, then I rinse and make sure there's still some conditioner slip left in my hair.

I don't generally wet my hair between washings, on wash day about 50&#37; of the time I wear it down, on other days I generally wear it up.

chrissy-b
September 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I like the weekly schedule too AJoyfulNoise.

Sunday: heavy oiling followed by CWC
Monday: NW
Tuesday: CO or WO
Wednesday: NW
Thursday: CWC
Friday: NW
Saturday: WO or CO depending on how oily my hair is

I pretty much stick to that schedule. Right now I'm using Lamas Botanicals shampoo and conditioner, Biolage Conditioning Balm, and Trader Joe's new Tea Tree Tingle conditioner with some added EO's.

lapushka
September 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Lately it's been every 4th to 5th day. Normally I have to wash more often, 2 to 3x a week.
I just shampoo now, like I used to many years ago. Sometimes I use a tiny bit of conditioner on the ends. Jessicurl Too Shea is a treat once in a while. Otherwise it's a plain cheap conditioner, whatever's available.

EvaSimone
September 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I wash my hair every other day... sometimes every two days.

I use Shampoo and conditioner

The products I use vary depending on how my hair feels but I generally use these:
Giovanni 50:50 shampoo and conditioner
Goth Rosary Conditioner as leave in
Burt's Bees Kelp and something or other conditioner :heart: this
Loreal Vive Pro Nutrigloss conditioning treatment (cone free and literally my holy grail product)

ooh I also will jojoba oil my scalp at least once a week to help with dryness. At least I need to and try to do it once a week :o

EvaSimone
September 25th, 2008, 11:20 AM

I just throw it up in a bun and wash my body on the non hair washing days. I don't really mind if my hair gets a bit damp or even wet.

happymommy
September 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM
AJoifulNoise, hope you don't mind if I borrow your format too!!! It appeals to my obsessive need for listing :)

Mon: Full length CWC
Tue: Scalp CO
Wed: Scalp CO w/ ACV rinse
Thur: Full length CWC
Fri: Scalp CO or sometimes WO
Sat: Scalp CO
Sun: No Wash

I use non-sulfate (Organix) shampoo unless I am clarifying (HH Drama clean). For my CO, I have a variety of non-protein VO5's that I mix with honey and tea tree oil in a 7oz:1oz:0.5ml ratio respectively (I use a hair color app bottle from Sally's).

I can usually get more mileage out of my CO's as long as I wear my hair in an updo for daytime and contained in a braid or bun for sleep.

Manako
September 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I wash my hair twice a week, although I am wondering if I can switch to once a week. I normally wash on thursday and sunday, and my hair doesn't feel too bad on thursdays.

I currently use JASON jojoba shampoo (sulfate free!) and their aloe conditioner. I use coconut oil on my dry hair as needed, wet hair oiling makes my hair weird. I put my hair up in a looped ponytail in the shower, and try not to get it wet, but i don't care if its a bit damp.

Starr
September 25th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I don't have a
set schedule. . . I wash as often as it's needed, sometimes that's once a week, sometimes it's twice a week and sometimes it's every 10+ days- it just depends.

Stagecoach
September 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I wash twice a week.

Chromis
September 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I wash two or three times a week usually, though sometimes once using CV shampoo bars (two lathers on scalp and length with an extra for scalp as needed) followed by an ACV/citric acid rinse. I use a shower cap on days I'm not washing my hair.

<She>
September 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I wash twice a week, sometimes three times. I was doing CWC but it was kind of building up and feeling limp and dry. Now I do plain washing with little shampoo, then conditioner from the shoulders down the length.
I use Nivea shampoos and conditiorers, and Dove or Freeman conditioners for when I want cones.

kunibob
September 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Right now, I follow a 6-day cycle:

Day 1 - Biolage Color Care Shampoo & Conditioner <--my hair loves this stuff, cones and all
Day 2 - nothing (oil/leave-in conditioner as necessary)
Day 3 - nothing (oil/leave-in conditioner as necessary)
Day 4 - Baking Soda as shampoo, then white vinegar rinse
Day 5 - nothing (oil/leave-in conditioner as necessary)
Day 6 - nothing (oil/leave-in conditioner as necessary)

Sometimes I'll throw some baking soda in with the shampoo on Day 1, or add a reconstruction treatment to the end of it.

Still getting settled into this routine -- might stretch it to 3 days between washings once my scalp fully adjusts.

Iylivarae
September 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Twice a week, on monday and friday.

I shampoo and condition afterwards, other than that, I don't have any routines. Sometimes I put a hair mask or so on my head, but that doesn't really happen regularly.

Elphie
September 25th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I wash my hair almost every other day, sometimes I will skip the weekends if we're just hanging around the house.

I switch off between using Suave Coconut shampoo and conditioner (CWC) and Palmer's Olive oil shampoo and conditioner. Nexxus Humectress gets used about once a week.

Arctic
September 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM

I shower every other day and that's when I wash my hair too.

amiaow
September 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I put mine under a shower cap when I don't want to wash.

My routine is usually wash daily though... Velvet Soap bar, ACV or citric acid rinse and a couple of drops of evening primrose or coconut oil!

Speckla
September 25th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I 'poo once a week during the Summer with Aussie Moist shampoo and cowash with Aussie Moist Conditioner on the other days. I usually 'poo every two week during the winter and cowash with every other day. I'm moving towards totally doing away with shampoo. I don't need it as my damaged hair grows out more and more.
________
Lamborghini Gallardo History (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/wiki/Lamborghini_Gallardo)

1nuitblanche
September 25th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I wash my hair about 2 times per week. Sometimes S&C, sometimes CWC, sometimes CO. In between washes, it can get a little damp--I just put it up and go into the shower--but not dripping or anything.

TennesseeGirl
September 25th, 2008, 05:51 PM
So far I do not have a routine. I have been trying different shampoos and condishners. so far have not been able to find a SLS free shampooo that I really like. I have also been CO washing a few days a week. Trying to not be so harsh with my hair. My scalp is very oily and the ends are pretty dry, so its not easy finding something that works well. I have to wash it everyday with something or I can not stand it. I have went maybe a day with nothing but then that drives me nuts byt the end of the day.

Vivien'
September 26th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Every Saturday, in general. I don't have a lot of time in the week, and the hair is used to this routine now.

Carina
September 26th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I wash my hair when it's dirty and that's it.But I have so many products to choose between.It can take me forever to decide what to use:doh:.I'm such a productjunkie:crush:.

dulce-de-leche
September 26th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I wash twice a week.Tuesday nights after my egg yolk treatment and Saturday mornings after my scalp and length oiling.I'll shampoo with whatever I have in the shower usually Suave coconut shampoo and conditioner then acv rinse

saracuda
September 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Twice a week.
CWC with cheap conditioner, cheap shampoo, and a little better conditioner (like Suave's version of Sheer Blonde, or Suave Nexxus, etc).

bunnii
September 26th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I wash every 2-3 days using CO I use Wilkinson coconut or the VO5s I found or sometime when I want extra moisture I use Original Source Almond and Coconut. And I always do a vinegar rinse after that way I don't need to clarify too often. And I oil between washes with EVOO oh and sometimes I'll do a heavy oiling before a wash.

burns_erin
September 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM
2-3 times a week.

I usually pre-oil.
I alternate between Giovanni tea Trea Triple Treat and my Rosemary Sage shampoo bar. I always use the TTTT conditioner.

Bunnygirl
September 26th, 2008, 10:54 AM
3 days a week. I'm a runner so my hair gets greasy easily and I don't like going to law school with dirty hair! Here's my routine:

Monday: wash with conditioner
Tuesday: Monistat, no wash
Wednesday: wash with conditioner
thursday: CO wash then monistat
Friday: no wash
Saturday: wash at night with deep conditioner
Sunday: Monistat

When I wash I do blowdry, b/c my hair is collarbone length and has layers and must be styled. when it gets long I won't blowdry

Neen
September 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Twice a week CO with Miessence Shine Herbal Hair Conditioner. One of those times I follow with SMT.

Otherwise I put it in a high bun with a metal hairfork so it doesn't get too wet in the shower.

Every two months I go to the salon for a trim and they wash with all of their products so the next wash after that I use a shampoo bar, then ACV, then SMT.

Robinlyn
September 26th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I CO every other day with VO5. Wash with CWC x1 per week. My hair seems to like this best!!

Tressie
September 27th, 2008, 11:10 AM
On the days I don't wash I put my hair in a high pony or bun and cover with a large thin beach towel!

Tressie
September 27th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I have been washing twice weekly, on Wednesday and Saturday evenings. Since coming to LHC, and slowly becoming adapted to "bun-wearing", I can do a once weekly, if I haven't been really hot and sweaty. However my scalp gets itchy with the once weekly, so it's probably not really the best plan for me.

I did CO mainly at first to try and help dryness on my cape. Also, do CWC with diluted shampoo. Clarify once every week or so, and do ACV cold water rinse.

Lightly oil hair while still slightly damp, usually with EVOO! I use VO5 moisture milk, and sometimes Suave or White Rain, coconut, tangerine, kiwi are good and so on! :p

Oh, I forgot to say that in between I usually just mist my hair with a leave-in conditioner or hair revitalizer or water and maybe a drop of oil on the cape and ends!

LilyMunster
September 27th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Summer time I wash every other day. CO the quick, not the soaking one.
Winter time I wash every 4th or 5th day. CO as above.
I use diluted shampoo once every 10-12 days. Year round.
I vary my products, depending on how the scalp and hair are feeling. Favorites right now include:
* Aubrey Organics- various s and c
*Matrix BioLage shampoo and Balm
* vo5 KiwiLime or Joico Resolve- to clarify or chelate as needed. Every 6-8 weeks generally.
*Nexxus Humectress Conditioner
*Kenra conditioner
*Ellusense conditioner
*Body Shop Hemp conditioner
*Home Health Chamovera conditioner
*Cure Care condish
*Regis OO condish
*Giovanni-various conditioners
Running short on and cannot replace:
BWOC conditioner (dark blue label)
Natures Gate Herb
(both are either reformulated or discontinued)
I am now delaying our final parting by using them only to create mist bottles by mixing them with distilled water.
Leave-ins and Deep Conditioning products are many and varied. My blog has details.

Gecko
September 28th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I wash my hair 3 times a week, but starting next week I'm going to try 2. I do CWC. And on the days I use Nizoral shampoo, about every other wash, I do CWCWC. (lol). For the other shampoo I've been using different ones. For my first conditioner I use Pantene (which is my favorite for detangling) mixed with other condtioners. This month, my second conditioner is Fruit Expressions (Family Dollar version of Herbal Essence) in a blackberry scent. I also do an oil treatment everytime before I wash my hair.

BunnyBee
September 28th, 2008, 09:22 AM
every 3 - 4 days, shampoo and condition, lately I've been doing an smt instead of shampooing on alternate washes.

Brownie
September 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I wash my hair every Sunday and Thursday with thinned shampoo. I think you don't know the brand, it's a german shampoo ;) After this, I do a rinse with citric acid.

Vitalai
September 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
As of right now, I just shampoo and condition every day. I'm rather active and in this heat, I just feel icky if I don't take a shower. I'm still experimenting with different routines, because my hair isn't as healthy as it could be.

Eryka
September 28th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Generally 2 times a week with CO. Trying to figure out the balance of leave-in conditioner and Emu oil.

thankyousir74
September 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Almost everyday -.-

CURSE SWIM SEASON! :shakes fist:

I CO most of the time (with V05 Kiwi Lime I think it is now; Free me Freesia was nice though :D) but maybe once a week I do the diluted UltraSwim (chlorine removal) Shampoo

Melisande
September 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
CWC every third day. I wash with highly diluted Alverde Birke Salbei, a very gentle German shampoo with coco glucoside. I condition with Alverde Aloe Vera Hibiskus, the same firm and very gentle, too. I rinse with a gentle citric acid rinse which I don't rinse out.

I oil my damp hair (jojoba, camellia or dabur vatika for the lengths and temple area, Fox' shea butter for the ends) and put it up in a scruchie bun to dry.

I mist regularly between washes (dist. water, camellia oil) and oil my scalp the night before a wash with essential oil mixture, sometimes between washes with a tiny amount.

About once a month, I need a stronger shampoo and use Lush BIG very very diluted.

This is my fixed routine for quite some time now, and I love it. I don't think that I can stretch washes, I feel unfresh after four days.

Sarahmoon
October 3rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
I wash about every 5 days: conditioner, shampoo (till my ears, only very occasionally the length), conditioner, vinegar rinse, cold water rinse. Sometimes I wash with egg and then with a little diluted shampoo. I use coneless conditioner but regular shampoo, otherwise I can't get my hair clean :(

Eden Iris
October 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Once a week. I was using a CV bar and Nature's Gate conditioner, followed by a vinegar rinse, but lately I've switched to shampoo (alternating NG Tea Tree Oil and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose shampoo and Nature's Gate lavender conditioner. Three or four days a week I use either a leave-in of coconut oil or a mister of diluted AO HR conditioner.

I like the economic and environmental aspects of the shampoo bars, but I think my hair needs a break from them for awhile.

AnneAdeline
October 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I've been trying to stretch it out to once a week, but it's still about every 5 days or so.

savi
October 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I CO two to three times a week, usually one of those or two are heavier conditioning washes. Normally I wash only twice a week. I clarify about once a month, and CWC now and then.

Rain76
October 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I wash my hair every day. Unfortunately, I must do this, because I have extremely fine hair & oily roots.

freznow
October 9th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Once a week. I count WO as a wash. But it depends - I experiment a lot so once a week is just the average. But that's easiest, because I find it annoying to wash in the midst of the week.

Like, even though it's only 5 days since my soap bar wash, I may do a WO because I won't have a chance to wash this weekend. Or I might push off a real wash till Monday. Not sure.

I'd like to push it to 2 weeks for a shampoo, with a WO once inbetween. It does depend on my activity, though. I don't feel compelled to wash when I haven't gotten sweaty that week.

Rosepatrice
October 9th, 2008, 08:36 PM
How do you just wash the scalp without it getting on the hair?? Am I missing something here?

I wash when it starts to itch, usually 4-5 days. I don't have a schedule. I use Aubery Organics for problem scalp.

RocketDog
October 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I've been trying to push my shampoos out a day at a time, to get my scalp adjusted. Right now I'm going 4 days between washing/wetting my hair, wearing it up 3 out of those four days (I wear it down the day I wash, since it's still short). My goal is once a week, with WO rinses mid-week.

may1em
October 9th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I wash it whenever I need to/have time. That ends up being every 4-7 days. I washed it this evening and the last wash was Sunday night. I usually keep it up after the third day, so even if I haven't gotten to it I don't care too much.

I usually condition the ends, shampoo with a diluted non-sulphate shampoo (or I have one SLS one for degunkifying), rinse, then condition again, leaving that in while I finish with my shower. Rinse, then leave in and some light styling product.

Shampoos I own:
Kiss My Face Whenever
Queen Helene Mint Julep
Enjabonarte, the blue kind. Picked this up in Spain over the summer. Has sodium laureth sulfate, but I needed it to get the extra deep conditioners I was using there out of my hair.

Conditioners I own:
Kiss My Face Whenever
Trader Joe's SpaNourish
V05 vanilla mint tea (for those times I need to CO - like when I get some stinky smell in my hair two days after washing with shampoo)
Korres Achillea (also picked up in Spain - smells good but has some weird chemicals I'm not overly sure about.

Leave-ins:
Giovanni Direct Leave-in
Giovanni VitaPro Fusion
some Korres thing I picked up on an impulse buy and then dragged across the ocean with me.

Styling products:
Giovanni Sunset Styling Lotion
Giovanni mousse
CVS brand AVG

No rhyme or reason to when I use what - I'm trying to use some things up, though. Because my collection is a bit obscene, especially for someone who at times goes for a week between washes.

vindo
October 9th, 2008, 11:31 PM
-Every 7 days
-WC method (shampoo on scalp, conditioner on lengths)
-Earthly Delight Shampoo and Conditioner
-ACV Rinse

ladyshannonanne
October 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I wash every day, but I only shampoo every five days. Every other day, I CO with a cheapy cone-free conditioner (Whole Foods 365 Lavender Blend Conditioner) and apply a coney conditioner (Avalon Organics Biotin B Thickening Conditioner) from my ears to my ends. When my hair gets a little longer, I'm going to switch to a less expensive coney conditioner, because the AO stuff is 9 bucks for 14 oz. That's fine for above APL, but no so good for BSL.

willowcandra
October 10th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I was washing once a week/fortnight:o But my ends were snagging and dry.
I am now washing every other day with two deep treats a month.

Typically I wash and then condition for about five minutes-then leave in spray.----that's my general practice

sometimes oil overnight then wash twice and condition for five minutes then leave in spray.
Smt treatments are a CO with leave in spray afterwards.
And deep treatments are wash then treat and rinse-with leave in spray.

Light oil to ends between washes.

This is what I am doing at the moment and I will keep on with this for a while before I experiment with some misting sprays for damp buns and cone free co on the ends while I shampoo. (I also need to find a bottle to dilute my shampoo in.)

Nic's
October 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Everyday now that it's short

Magdalene
October 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I wash about 6 days a week, usually Natures Gate shampoo and conditioner.

Seraphina
October 15th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I wash about 3 times a week.

Dark Rosaleen
October 15th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I shampoo and condition every day as I have fine hair that tends to look flat and somewhat greasy.

I may try switching to every other day once it gets longer.

hobbitgirl
October 15th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I wash about 2x/week with a shampoo bar and ACV rinse. However, I do wet my hair down in the shower more than that but I'm not sure that qualifies as WO. If I work out I just have to wet down my hair to get the sweat off my scalp.

Garnet66
October 15th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I wash twice a week using poo and condish.

wizzel
October 16th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I wash about once a week if I can strech it i will. When i do wash it i use a baking soda solution and fallow up with a apple cider vinegar rinse. I find it works really well for me. my hair takes forever to dry and i tend to be a bit lazy so i try to wash my hair as little as posible. One surprise in this experiment is that my hair is super soft because of the natural oil, not in a gross way but a healthy shiny way. The less I wash my hair the less I need to wash my hair it's a gradual prosess but it fits in to my busy life and lazy ways. :disco:

chicken
October 16th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I wash daily after swimming with a natural shampoo and sometimes a natural conditioner.

RedElephant
October 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I wash with shampoo once a week and cowash on the other days. I might wash with shampoo twice a week during the summer or if i sweat a lot.

Angellen
October 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I wash every 4-6 days, so once or twice a week for me, depending on how it ends up. I used to wash every sunday, but switched to just washing when it needs it, and my scalp is happier, I think.

origane
October 17th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I liked Finoriel's home shampoo idea! And like to read others response too.
Hair washing is a real dilemna for me, I avoid it as much as I can but usually get it done every 4-5 days. It is painfully tight afterwards and indeed, I don't like having wet hair which take ages to dry also!
Shampoos are always bought in health food shops, but my favourite is the UK brand Faith in Nature; I cannot stand the smells of high street shampoos.
I used to use conditionner thinking it would help with the tightness but have stopped after a few years of various ones, since it doens't seem to do any good except make the hair more greasy; and it doens't help with the combing afterwards!
Have any other people got super sensitive hair and feel hairwashing is a stressful time because of the afterwards-impossible to comb wet hair?

Going to the hairdresser for me is worse than the dentist... I much prefer dentists.

Nanni
October 17th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I wash my hair two times a week.

Wednesday; Shampoo - Conditionner

Week-end (saturday or sunday); Shampoo and deep treatment and conditioner

Forever_Sophie
October 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I wash my hair every other day. My bathroom, closet, linen closet are all filled with products - at the moment, I'm loving Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship S&C. I then use a leave-in (ABBA Nourishing), and Proclaim glossing serum.

I need to start using some of the oils I have....and can't wait to get coconut oil when I'm in the city next month.

mandeloo
October 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
shampoo twice a week though I am trying to cut down ;)

CO cleanse nearly every day

ImmortaLamia
October 20th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I wash once a week and the product is Dermatological Shampoo by Home Institut.
Then after i leave the shampoo 5 minutes i rinse and apply from ears down the Gliss Conditioner from Schwarzkopf..another 5minutes and rinse.

harley mama
October 20th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I wash with shampoo only when my hair gets really dirty. The last time I shampooed i had concrete dust in it. Most of the time I CO and that also depends on how often we are working outside or how dirty it gets. If I am not active I CO about twice a week. I use VO5 Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint most of the time.

JamieLeigh
October 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I have the double-edged sword thing going on here.
:luke:
My hair is very fine, so if I shampoo too much, the ends dry out. And my scalp is naturally oily, so if I don't shampoo twice a week, I look horrible!

My solution: shampoo twice a week, and do a conditioner-only twice a week. So far, so good!
:sun:

JamieLeigh
October 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Oh yeah! Forgot to say...when I shampoo, I only shampoo my scalp, I never shampoo below my neck! When it rinses, it gets the ends soapy enough. ;)

plainjanegirl
October 20th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I normally wash every other day but I have been stretching out washes. Last week I washed on Friday then Tuesday and then Sunday (I was gonna wash Saturday evening but was too tired). I switch my products up. Right now I am using Pantene Beautiful Lengths.

peachy.pudding
October 20th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Every 2 days, i love freshly washed hair, sometimes if i feel lazy i let it go three days, but never more than that unless i am doing some experiment

jtl45
October 21st, 2008, 06:08 AM
I run every day and shampoo every night! Can't imagine not washing it daily!
Jim :)

GlassEyes
October 21st, 2008, 06:35 AM
I CO daily and clarify as necessary. If I haven't gone back to cones (hey, it happens), that's anywhere from a week to every two weeks, sometimes more.

This may change once I can wear it up, but for now, this is it. I have gone a week without washing before, however, by wearing plenty of ponytails, but it did more damage than good, since I had to force a comb through to get it to go up.

Sammybunny711
October 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM
I was everyday due to psoriasis but I use Jason's organics tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner. I use a squeeze of shampoo that is about the size of a quarter. Then I use a BUNCH of conditioner and leave it in my hair while I wash (five to ten minutes). My hair seems to react fine and nicely to this routine. :o) Occasionally, I go one day without washing. But VERY rarely!

RoseRedDead
October 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I'm BS & ACV now, so I was about once a week. Haven't noticed any problems.

chelles2kids
October 25th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Well, right now I'm averaging about three times a week, sometimes two.
As for products, it really depends on what kind of mood I'm in or rather what my hair is needing at that time.

At this time though, I'm 'pooing with Giovanni Triple Tea Tree Shampoo & using the Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat.

Dolly
October 27th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I was stretching out my washes, but lately I at least do a good scalp wash with a CV bar daily, because I work out almost every day and sweat A LOT. If I try to do just WO, I end up with a terrible case of the itchies.......if I decide to take a day off from the workouts, I also take a day off from washing my hair.

zen_oven
October 27th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I CWC every other day. In between I do a water only wash and use a leave-in conditioner. I also oil my hair nightly with jojoba oil and do a deep condition every few weeks. I'm trying to stretch out my washes more though, so I might start doing CWC one day, no wash the next day, WO the next, and back to CWC the next. Rinse and repeat--pun intended. :p

The products I use are as follows:
Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner
Lush Godiva Shampoo Bar (which I'm giving up in favor of their New! bar--I'm gradually moving away from shampoos with SLS)
Body Shop Amlika Leave-In
Hask Henna n' Placenta Deep Conditioning treatment
Jojoba oil

Krifantasy
October 28th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I am just starting so am using the advice to limit what I am doing and doing it for two months, so I CWC every other day. I am currently using Neutrogena's Triple Moisture Cream Lather Shampoo and Conditioner (I just needed to use it up before I investigated any new products - I am trying to curb my product fixation).

I do use Kimberlily's defrizz spray every day though.

rymorg2
October 28th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I've FINALLY managed to stretch my washes out! I used to have to do it daily, but now that I'm using all natural stuff I go 1-2 days in between and normally those days I just bun my hair and put a shower cap over it, and either wear it down and straight or up somehow. So it averages out to 2-3 times a week, more or less often as I need it. I'm also not very set on what I use....I evaluate on a day to day basis what my hair needs.

Bene
October 30th, 2008, 11:10 PM
every 2 or 3 days. if i'm feeling extra lazy, i try to stretch it to a 4th day. i'm lucky that when my hair is up, it doesn't look too greasy.

Bianca
October 31st, 2008, 05:48 AM
I wash twice a week, just my scalp, not like in the old days, when i just piled the hair on top off my head :) I use Urtekram natural shampoo and conditioner. Great stuff :cheese:

levelek
October 31st, 2008, 07:03 AM
On average, every 5 days. I'd go longer if my scalp would let me.
Hair is dry in between wash days - I just bun it for the shower and keep it out of water's way.
I use CWC.

mommy101405
October 31st, 2008, 12:47 PM
every day :(

I wish I could stretch out to even every other day but mine is so oily. I wish I could just get over the greasies until my scalp gets used to it. But every time I try after one day I am just ready to scream. Now that its getting to be APL washing everyday is becoming quite an ordeal. Between the washing and then the long drying time it drives me nuts.

Raven69
October 31st, 2008, 01:22 PM
It's easier to manage if I wash it every day, but sometimes I will get lazy (want to sleep in) and not wash it for a day. If I am not going anywhere on the weekends I try not to wash it...sometimes I cave.

neon-dream
October 31st, 2008, 01:26 PM
I wash my hair every other day, and i use olive oil / egg yolk / mayo once a week. But on normal wash days I change. At the minute, I'm using Pantene Red Head shampoo, and Nutrigloss conditioner, and 'Beyond the zone' Split Mender as a leave in :)

jastark84
November 5th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I wash every 2 to 3 days, and I use the CO method, but clarify about once a month

Jessikinz
November 5th, 2008, 07:57 PM
One or two times a week.

Sunny
November 6th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I wash once every 4 or 5 days. Currently I'm using Burt's Bees Volumizing Pomegranate and Soy shampoo and conditioner. I also use a little dab of Brylcreem to tame the clean-hair frizziness of the top layer.

Aisha25
November 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Once a week to once every two weeks depends how my hair feels.

Islandgrrl
November 6th, 2008, 10:42 AM
It mostly depends on how my hair feels. Once a week-ish, I'd say, it gets washed with shampoo. I rinse it with just plain water after I workout, though, so it gets wet more often than actually washed.

sahiba
November 6th, 2008, 10:50 AM
When ever needed I wash my hair. Products too vary.

MandaMom2Three
November 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I CO every other day and S&C once a week

maliha
November 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I wash my hair twice a week... :)

Once i shampoo it and other time just CO

Ryanne
November 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Once a week. I use Inecto and Palmolive.

Sherri
November 8th, 2008, 10:24 AM
2 to 3 times a week. I am wanting to go with fewer washes just can't seem to go any less.

Arielle8960
November 8th, 2008, 02:36 PM
At least twice a week, usually three times. I've been using Hello Hydration as it is the only shampoo I've found that actually helps deal with the frizzies. I use a leave-in conditioner/detangler and if I style my hair dry, I'll spray just the ends to keep them from getting twisted and broken. So far, not too much frizz and my hair doesn't look dry, but if it starts feeling crunchy I'll have to change routines again.

logica_divina
November 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Once or twice a week. It is usually either 2 CWCs or a CWC and a scalp wash or CO per week.

Shadow
December 16th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Am currently co-washing every day with a once weekly treatment (currently an egg-mayo treatment)

venividibxtchy
December 16th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Typically, twice a week; however, in a perfect world, I'd do a scalp-only wash every other day, and only do the length twice a week.

Angelina15
December 16th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I usually wash three times a week using the VO5 shampoo and conditioner. I'm thinking of trying CWC but my hair seems pretty happy right now.

rapunzhell13
December 16th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Every 2-3 days.

fairydust
December 16th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Generally I wash every other day, though I occasionally wash daily. My scalp produces quite a lot of oil, and I haven't been able to train it no matter what. When my hair was long, I could go 3 days between washes, but short hair seems to be different in that respect. It gets oily faster, and it doesn't look remotely good. Also, in the morning my hair tends to stick every which way, so I have to at least rinse my hair with water every morning.

Samara Morgan
December 16th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I CWC three times a week, and I mainly shampoo it because of my fringe getting greasy very quickly.

joyjoy
December 18th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I CO wash most days; occasionally I'll go every other day. If I wash less frequently, my scalp starts to itch, and my length starts to feel less pliable and more fragile.

viking_quest
December 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
CWC 3 days a week (but I'm hoping for once a week but realistically I think I can stretch it to 2x a week) and I pretty much use any shampoo that appeals to me that morning.

RavennaNight
December 19th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I am averaging about once every 5-7 days. I scalp wash only except right before I henna, when I clarify for dye uptake. I'm working on stretching washes due to winter and my determination to NOT blowdry even though it is cold.:)

OhioLisa
December 20th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Every other day, currently with either Queen Helene Mint Julep poo or CO if my hair is feeling a bit dry.

frogette
December 20th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Every other day. I'm trying to see if I can do it every third day, but it doesn't seem like it's manageable. I have a super oily scalp, so my hair gets unacceptable by the end of the second day, besides I'm not sure it's good for my hair and scalp to be buried in sebum for so long. I tend to shed like crazy when I let my hair get too oily.
I shampoo only. I never found a conditioner that didn't turn my head into a greaseball, even applying it only on the lengths.

AutumnSky
December 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Every other day, sometimes I'll stretch for a third....

CWC or S&C. I'm uncomplicated. ;-p

longhairdream
December 20th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Twice a week with Pantene (a strong shampoo) to cleanse the hair, and then with Garnier oil-treatment shampoo (mild), conditioner on weekends.

honeybee87
December 23rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I wash every 2-3 days...

eyesofsummer
December 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
I wash my hair every 5 days or so...depends on what I've done during the week, though. I CO with Suave (the coconut one is my favorite!) and then use either Herbal Essences or Aussie hair gel, depending on what I have at the moment. All of these products smell wonderful!

RoseRedDead
December 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
I probably wash my hair (CO) about twice a week (sometimes three times). First on Monday or Tuesday, then on Friday or Saturday.

Lara1
December 23rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
I wash it every day, sometimes twice... I feel that my hair gets darker if it is not washed. I want to try CO method in the near future to try to stretch washings.

tiny_teesha
December 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I wash every 2nd or 3rd day. No longer or else my hair falls out at a touch!
These days I'm using Natural instinct shampoo (no nasties)
And henna wax masks as conditioner (it is really deep conditioning)
I do a white vinegar rinse most times too.
My sister bought me Al'chemy lavendar leave in conditioner and i can't wait to use it after TOMORROW! WOOOOOOOOOOO

lynlora
December 25th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Shampoo every third day (or sooner if it gets icky looking) and condition every day.Use Organix Vanilla Silk products.They have no SLS type stuff and a lot of natural stuff like shea butter and jojoba oil.Seems to work really well with my hair,better than every popular or mainstream brand I have tried.

Dreamernz
December 25th, 2008, 10:46 AM
It really depends, I'm finding that I wash my hair more and more nowadays but usually it's twice a week, I shampoo twice and then condition minimally :D

logica_divina
December 25th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I usually CO 2 times a week (sometimes there's an additional 3rd CO during the week but rarely). I actually had a minimal (or no) transitional period to this routine, which is great. Before that I'd CWC 2 times a week.

Elenna
December 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I do a daily wash and then air-dry hair. It is thin and fine so it dries fast.

Lately, hair has been problematic (shedding), so I ditched shampoo for shampoo bars and soapnuts.

janeytilllie
December 25th, 2008, 06:25 PM
i wash hair every 4 days i use my natural organic shea butter soap bar.

shesasmartass
December 12th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Since joining LHC a month ago I only wash my hair twice a week. My hair looks and feels so much better already.

becks113
December 13th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I have problems trying to skip washes.. My hair feel gross to me.. I think it's psychological though, because if I ask my sister she says it looks fine.. I am, however, trying to wean myself off of shampoo.. I started by only washing the roots for a while with full strength Mane n tail, & now I dilute it 1:6 with water & other hair goodies, [castor, coconut, avocado, tea tree oil mix] & only use it on my roots, wash it out, do an ACV rinse, & condition. My hair feels softer & looks shinier than ever.

Amber_Maiden
December 13th, 2011, 10:59 AM
One a week or every 10 days.

I used Live Clean Moisturizing Conditioner, followed by a tiny bit of Live Clean Bali Oil Shampoo, followed by more Conditioner, and repeated with Conditioner again. I then oil my hair with avocado oil. Everyday. Until my next hair wash.

MotherGoddess
December 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I no-poo, so it's been almost 5 years since I've really "washed" it. I do a baking soda scrub every 3-4 days and rinse with ACV.

ludwig20
December 14th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Since switching to CV bars, I wash my hair every four to five days.

Carissamarie08
December 14th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Usually 2 times a week.

becks113
December 14th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Sigh.. Daily, it seems.. I did my first WO today & my hair looked fine, for about 3 hours.. & then it just seemed dirty.. I think I'll stick with my 1:6 shampoo to water ratio for now.. Maybe skip days when I know I don't have much to do..

aisha.christine
December 15th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Every 3-4 days, or when I feel like it's too dirty. Right now, I'm on break, so I have no place to go. I let my hair brew in its oils :p

I mix V05 SKR with some honey and leave that on my head for a half an hour to an hour before I wash, and then I do S&C with Burt's Bees Grapefruit and Sugarbeet (diluted) shampoo and conditioner. Every other week I do an ACV rinse.

Flossiebell
December 15th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Every 3 or 4 days depending on how dirty it feels. I have started CO only this week for the first time. I use cheap normal/greasy co on roots and heavy co on lengths then rinse with dilute acv. I did this the day before yesterday and have now got bad dandruff - never had before - and I've just co washed my hair tonight and my scalp has just stopped burning from the acv rinse. Is this normal? I've always used shampoo til now but have always had lots of hair drop out in the shower when I use shampoo? I just want my hair to grow as quickly as possible and not fall out and stuff. Can someone give me a bit of advice pleeeease?

wurleyhead
December 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Usually 3 days, sometimes 4. But I no-poo it then. I CO all the other days.

Ramille
December 16th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Once about every 10 - 12 days. I use Nature's Gate Hemp Shampoo and Conditioner (Conditioner on the length, Shampoo on the scalp, then conditioner all over). Every 3 or 4 days I put Vitapointe on the ends - nothing too high up. So far, it works for me. Been doing this for a couple of months.

Copasetic
December 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Whenever I feel like I need to wash it. I think it works out to about three times a week, but I don't have a set schedule.

Kizuna
December 16th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I use conditioner only and therefore no cones and I ususally wash my hair every third/forth day (could wait longer though). Now that I went to the hair dresser and they washed my hair and put things in it and it got greasy after just 2 days. So normally I do it 1-2 times a week, but this week it's been 3 times.

RiotPrrl
December 16th, 2011, 05:45 PM
About once every 2 days. I CWC and currently I'm using XZ Xylitol&Honey shampoo and conditioner (both cone-free). I also use XZ Vanilla Café leave-in conditioner, which smells like caramel! :p

Oksana
December 17th, 2011, 05:02 AM
I am conditioner only washing and wash my hair around every other day.