PDA

View Full Version : How long does your hair take to air dry?

Jennwith4
October 17th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Watched this video someone posted on The Perspective Thread.

http://youtu.be/pudF1a7CbQw

The girl says her hair air dries while wrapped in a tshirt (think plopping) in a couple of hours. ?!? Is that possible? It takes my hair a few hours to air dry not wrapped. I don't think it would ever dry while wrapped. Any thoughts?

How long does it take your hair to air dry? And have you ever done it while wrapped?

cathair
October 17th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Mine takes about an hour-ish. Maybe 30 mins under the ceiling fan. Thought it would dry out slower wrapped, but if I wrap it for about 20 - 30 minutes then unwrap it, it takes about the same time overall.

Avis
October 17th, 2014, 10:43 PM
How can that be?? I've plopped overnight and woke up with damp hair. I timed how long it would take my hair to dry once and it was about 5 hours.

Jennwith4
October 17th, 2014, 10:46 PM
How can that be?? I've plopped overnight and woke up with damp hair. I timed how long it would take my hair to dry once and it was about 5 hours.

Same here, Avis, same here.

cathair
October 17th, 2014, 10:46 PM
My roots are nearly dry a minute or two after I get out of the shower. Don't really know why! My hair must be quite water resistant?

Avis
October 17th, 2014, 10:52 PM
My roots are nearly dry a minute or two after I get out of the shower. Don't really know why! My hair must be quite water resistant?

My roots also dry quickly, it's just everything about 2 inches from the root that stays wet forever. Jennwith4, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

cathair
October 17th, 2014, 10:54 PM
My roots also dry quickly, it's just everything about 2 inches from the root that stays wet forever. Jennwith4, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Maybe fairy tale ends help?

Mellenoire
October 17th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Mine takes a good 5 hours at shoulder length and I dry it untied. It would be around 12 hours if I braided or bunned it wet. When my hair used to be long drying it bound was out of the question - it would be wet until the next wash!

Larki
October 17th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Mine takes about an hour and a half, I think. I wrap it in a towel for just a few minutes (unwrap it as soon as I'm dressed) and when I unwrap it, it's already like 60% dry.

mica
October 17th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Even after i squeeze all the water i can with a t-shirt/ wrap my hair with it for a while it can take 5 hours or more. The weather here is usually very humid and my hair is quite thick, maybe that's the reason? I can't understand how her hair is dry after removing the t-shirt, that would never happen with my hair, it won't dry completely unless I let it down, and even then it can take around 5 hours. Same thing if I go to bed with damp hair, no matter if I let my hair down, it will be damp in the morning (and looking awful, by the way)

Jennwith4
October 17th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Even after i squeeze all the water i can with a t-shirt/ wrap my hair with it for a while it can take 5 hours or more. The weather here is usually very humid and my hair is quite thick, maybe that's the reason? I can't understand how her hair is dry after removing the t-shirt, that would never happen with my hair, it won't dry completely unless I let it down, and even then it can take around 5 hours. Same thing if I go to bed with damp hair, no matter if I let my hair down, it will be damp in the morning (and looking awful, by the way)

YES! The only way I'd get that fullness is if I blow dried upside down! When I've dried overnight it just comes out damp flat and wonky!

Sparklylady82
October 17th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Mine takes forever because I am busy and I have to keep bunning it to go pick up a child from school or run errands and what not. Usually I wash and but in a towel for 10-20 min, blowdry my roots on warm/cool, bun and go. When I get back home I with put my hair half up bunned so it can dry in the middle and I can still work around the house. At the end of the day I take down and let finish drying (about 20 minutes)....so yeah, all day.

Sparklylady82
October 17th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Oh! and I tried plopping with the gel and all that and sleeping overnight and I looked like a hot mess in the morning. Didn't work for me at all!

Estrid
October 17th, 2014, 11:25 PM
It usually takes about 2-3 hours for my hair to air dry. With my "new" shampoo my roots (on the top of my head) dries within 30 minutes, which is strange but nice ;)

Jennwith4
October 17th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Sparklylady, I also blow dry my roots. Otherwise my bangs would be flat and wonky. The rest I usually just air dry.

ExpectoPatronum
October 18th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Mine depends on when I wash. If I wash earlier in the day, it's dry in about 5-6 hours. If I wash later in the evening, I'll wake up the next day with still damp hair. It's kind of annoying, actually.

Adiro
October 18th, 2014, 12:03 AM
I wash in the evening, then I walk around with my hair down ( maybe a headband to keep it away from face) for 3-4 hours, and then go to sleep with it loosely in a semi-bun, eventually it's free again through the night, then following day it's still kinda damp/wet for half a day. So my hair is very slow to dry.

I reached the ( non scientific) conclusion that damaged ( like mine) or for another reason Porous hair dries with more difficulty, and when it's dry, well, it also looks dry ( unless you seal it with some oil)
healthy or virgin or/and more greasy hair is more water repellant because the cuticle is closed and smooth, and does not allow water to penetrate deep into the hair. so water stays on the surface, and when it's gone, hair gets dry faster than hair that needs to get dry outside and inside.

just my theory.

darklyndsea
October 18th, 2014, 12:31 AM
Drying time depends heavily on your hair type. As far as I've been able to determine, the most important factors are hair thickness (thicker hair dries slower), strand thickness (fine hair dries more quickly), and how you keep your hair while it's drying (humidity, temperature, moving air, whether it's bunned or wrapped up).

My hair takes about 5 hours to dry when it's down. It doesn't dry when I'm sleeping or if my hair is braided or bunned.

mindwiped
October 18th, 2014, 02:24 AM
My hair is very thin, and fine textured. Even at BSL I can air dry my hair in about an hour, so long as I can leave it down. If it's bunned, it'll be dry by morning. I honestly miss when I had much thicker hair (before hypothyroid). It was still very fine textured, but there was at least twice as much of it, and if braided/bunned it wouldn't dry overnight.

sarahthegemini
October 18th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Mine takes 3 hours. And my hair is thin, fine amd short :-/

Verdandi
October 18th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Mine takes about 1,5 h, and the first 10-20 minutes it's wrapped in a micro fiber towel. If I don't detangle it takes a lot longer, though.

Stray_mind
October 18th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Mine takes about two hours to air dry unwrapped and it can take up to 12 hours for it to dry when up in a bun or a braid (or wrapped).... And it's only APL.

YGDW
October 18th, 2014, 03:06 AM
About 6 hours, sometimes more when the air is humid. Even when it was shoulder length it took 3 to 4 hours to be fully dry. Blow drying on cold setting does not dry my hair at all. In a braid or bun, it easily takes a day or two. What's wrong with my hair?!

Taliara
October 18th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Around 2-3 hours ish but the roots/front dries pretty quickly.

Madora
October 18th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Watched this video someone posted on The Perspective Thread.

http://youtu.be/pudF1a7CbQw

The girl says her hair air dries while wrapped in a tshirt (think plopping) in a couple of hours. ?!? Is that possible? It takes my hair a few hours to air dry not wrapped. I don't think it would ever dry while wrapped. Any thoughts?

How long does it take your hair to air dry? And have you ever done it while wrapped?

If you want to airdry your hair gently (and quickly) then you keep the air circulating through your detangled hair! Simple as that! Covering it with something is going to impede your hair drying speed!

It takes me about 20-25 minutes to dry my hair outdoors (65 degree temps). Indoors, it takes about 45 minutes, using a portable electric heater (I stand about 4 feet away from the heat and am constantly moving the hair strands with my fingers or with my wide tooth comb.

Here's how:

Hair should be completely detangled and slightly damp before starting. The more water you can express from your strands, the faster the air drying will be.

Part your hair from nape to center of forehead so that it is in two sections. Band off one section with a scrunchie to keep it separate from the other section.

Take a pencil thin size sliver of hair in your hand.
Bring your hand up to your ear and then extend it all the way out (to the side)
Slowly let the strands drop to the floor

Take another pencil thin section and repeat steps 1-3

Repeat with the rest of the hair. Keep repeating the hair fanning motions until the hair is dry.

Once you notice that the hair is becoming drier, you can take larger portions of the hair, but use a wide tooth comb in place of your hand. Go slowly and gently when using the comb.

When hair is dry, band off the section with a scrunchie to keep it out of the way. Repeat the hair fanning procedure with hair in the other section.

When finished, you can leave hair as is, or apply your favorite oil, etc. and style as desired.

The technique was developed by me after years of having to wait forever for my very thick, long hair to dry (using the hair laying on a towel down the back approach). It took forever and I wanted a faster method.

Outside, my hair dries in 20 to 25 minutes. Indoors it takes about 45 minutes, using a portable electric heater (standing about 4 feet away).

The secret to drying your hair quickly is to thoroughly detangle it when you start, and to keep the air circulating through it as you fan the strands.

LongHairLesbian
October 18th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Mine is mostly straight, fine textured, medium density, and just past hip length. It takes 4-5 hours to dry when completely down, 10-12 hours to dry if in a braid, and up to 24 hours if left in a bun. That might change soon though, because the weather is super humid here in the spring and summer, but much drier in the winter.

Jennwith4
October 18th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Went to the source and the riddle is solved! Here is the convo I had with the maker of the video about how she dries her hair wrapped:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/Jennwith4/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8208c7b5.jpg

TrapperCreekD
October 18th, 2014, 02:55 PM
^ That makes so much more sense!

On a warm summer day, my hair will dry in about an hour. Colder months takes several hours so I like to sit a few feet away from a heat source to speed things up a little bit. Damp bunning or braiding with blowdried roots takes foreverrrrrrrr!

momschicklets
October 18th, 2014, 03:09 PM
If I wash my hair at 8:00 am, it's usually completely dry by noon. Seems like a long time to me! This is after squeezing gently the water out with a towel, then squeezing some more with a cotton t-shirt. And the bad news is....as it's gotten longer, its taking longer to dry!

jeanniet
October 18th, 2014, 03:57 PM
This time of year, six hours. If it was very warm, I'd say four or five hours. Not sure about the winter because I usually have to diffuse it at least partway because I don't want to go around with wet hair all day. That's with hair a little above shoulder, but I don't think it would matter too much if it was longer. Most of what takes longest to dry is the hair underneath and closest to my scalp.

lapushka
October 18th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I think keeping it wrapped for hours is bad, for my scalp at least (seborrheic dermatitis). My scalp needs to breathe and that means the moisture needs to get out of my roots, and not be in constant contact with moisture. Over here, my hair is wrapped in a turbie for 15 to 20 min., then it comes out and gets to airdry for an hour, an hour and a half. Then it's diffused for 4 to 5 min. and by then it's basically dry (with wet tips, but that's okay, as long as my roots are dry it's fine). So that's my routine. Love it!

ShDiHa
October 18th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Way longer than it should for shorter-than-BSL hair. About 2 hours, give or take. I don't actually time, but I do wash my hair at night, so it's best not to shower right before I decide I'm tired and need to go to bed!

Nadine <3
October 18th, 2014, 09:11 PM
About 2 hours! It's weird, when I first joined my hair took a half hour to dry. Now that my hair is much happier it takes so much longer.

Aurum
October 18th, 2014, 09:36 PM
I usually wrap my hair in a towel for 10-15 minutes until I get dressed. After that, I can go one of two ways: If I don't touch my hair at all, it will take 2-3 hours to dry completely. This is what I do 90% of the time. Occasionally I will shower late and/or need to dry quicker, so I detangle wet. When I do, it only takes around an hour to dry.

fiğrildi
October 19th, 2014, 04:43 AM
I need one or two hours, it depends on the humidity, and if hair is loose (dries sooner) or braided (takes forever).

DweamGoiL
October 19th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Depends - if indoors, it takes anywhere from 2-3 hours to be fully dry. If outdoors, about 1-1.5 hrs. Now that the weather is getting a lot cooler, I just keep it wrapped in a turban towel for a good 20 minutes or so while I dress. Then, I diffuse it on cool/warm for a good 10-15 minutes and by then it's 90% dry so I just leave the rest to air dry.

Zin79
October 19th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Around 2.5 hours! :/

LadyCelestina
October 19th, 2014, 09:09 AM
A loong time.That is why I do some stuff to prevent endless wet hair especially in the winter - no leave ins,using TOWELS not t-shirts or stuff as those don't soak up the water well,gently 'fanning' (I'm using Madora's word) my hair and blow drying the roots.

In the summer I sometimes use a bit more leave in and let my curls dry intact.This gives me a different look,for a few hours- then it looks about the same as winter hair.

UndineOmega
October 19th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Mine takes forever to dry (especially when it dries in a bun, which I sometimes have to do because I don't wear my hair down for work).
I don't do anything to speed the process up though, I just plan my washing days well in advance so that I normally just have the time it takes :D

Yozhik
October 19th, 2014, 11:12 AM
I wash my hair at night, and when I wake up the next day, it's usually still damp. I'd say depending on humidity, temperature, and how long I keep it up in a towel before I let it loose, it can take between 3-8 hours to dry...

Funnily enough, it's wash day today, and still damp (I washed it about 6 hours ago, but then put it up in a bun for a bit to tame the wurls)! :silly:

Sharysa
October 19th, 2014, 12:59 PM
My hair takes about two or three hours to dry loose or in a towel (more often three, since I shower at night). Complete air-drying means MAJOR tangling, so I usually keep it in a towel for an hour before I oil it and put it in Dutch pigtails. It takes about a night for my hair to dry in braids, but "a night to dry with fewer tangles" is WAY better than "three hours to dry, another half-hour of detangling, and then frizz from combing it out."