PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy scalp help

Sparklylady82
October 17th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Hi all! On and off I have been having an itchy scalp. I've tried many different methods of washing so I am not able to pinpoint what will work to help my scalp not itch. I've been washing my hair with Joico K-pack shampoo (has SLS) and following the CWCC method 1-2 times a week. The itchies started up again with my last was and so I thought maybe it was just a fluke but now after I washed today my head is not happy and very itchy with some tiny scabs.

Does anyone know if I could be having a reaction to SLS products? I thought this was the case in the past and so I tried "no-poo" and "SLS-Free" shampoo's but they made my head itch as well.

I am just feeling really irritated with my scalp and am wondering if anyone else has had this issue. IS THERE A SOLUTION? What am I doing wrong? I didn't seem to have an itchy scalp problem before LHC so maybe I am just going bonkers? HAHA! :confused:

P.S. No I don't have lice ;)

McFearless
October 17th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Fungus and yeast overgrowth causes itching but broken skin sounds more like an allergic reaction. Are the scabs a result of scratching? Regardless I'd stop using the shampoo. What was your cleansing method before joining LHC? You could look up the ingredients list used in your old safe products and compare it to the Joico K-pack.

Sparklylady82
October 17th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Fungus and yeast overgrowth causes itching but broken skin sounds more like an allergic reaction. Are the scabs a result of scratching? Regardless I'd stop using the shampoo. What was your cleansing method before joining LHC? You could look up the ingredients list used in your old safe products and compare it to the Joico K-pack.

I tried to examine my scalp closer (it's really hard by yourself :eek:) and I did see some small red patches, maybe 1/4 inch X 1/4 inch. Before LHC I just bought whatever mega size bottles they have on sale at the beauty supply store so I never had one thing I was using. I'm definately going to discontinue the Joico and try something different. So far Joico K-pack (SLS) and also Organix Cherry Blossom (Olefin Sulfonate shampoo) made me itch :-(

ExpectoPatronum
October 17th, 2014, 11:53 PM
It could be fragrance. My skin gives me a horrible time if I use a fragrance it doesn't like.

Panth
October 18th, 2014, 03:19 AM
There are a number of options.

1) An allergy of some sort. Culprits can be just about anything, but fragrances, preservatives and herbal extracts are somewhat more likely out of all the ingredients.

2) SLS can dry out the scalp and cause/exacerbate eczema-type skin problems in some people. That usually doesn't come with itching and scabs, though.

3) You can also just develop dry scalp conditions, such as eczema, without SLS being the culprit, of course. These may be acute (occurring just the once) or chronic (constant and/or recurring).

4) Fungal infections, like seborrheic dermatitis, can also be acute or chronic and can be induced/encouraged in susceptible people by certain routines. Generally, seborrheic dermatitis manifests as cradle cap-like dandruff, itching and raised, red welt-like patches on the scalp that eventually in severe cases turn to mushy, itchy, waxy dandruffy stuff that you can itch and itch and ... as much as you itch off, it's still like that underneath. If you itch it certainly can result in small scabs too. It's also often associated with quite considerable hair shedding.

Tbh, to me (what with the itchies, the scabs and the on-off presentation) seborrheic dermatitis is probably a good bet. Of course, you'd be best going to your doctor and getting a proper diagnosis (not least because the treatments for certain scalp conditions will exacerbate others - e.g. the moisturisers for eczema will actively make SD worse).

If it is seborrheic dermatitis, then you need an antifungal shampoo (2% ketoconazole, aka Nizoral) which you must use exactly as on the instructions / as the doctor orders. Once it's under control, you can do a variety of things to keep it from recurring (though not all of these are necessary for all people - you'll need to experiment). Namely: avoid oiling or getting conditioner on the scalp (the yeasts feed on oils); avoid leaving sebum or sweat on the scalp for very long (thus, don't stretch washes as much as you might otherwise); avoid leaving the scalp damp (thus, avoid damp bunning/braiding and maybe use a hairdryer on cool if your hair takes a long time to dry); use harsher cleansers, e.g. SLS (to help keep yeast colonies to a minimum); treat any itchies promptly with 2% ketoconazole before any recurrences get bad.

LadyCelestina
October 18th, 2014, 03:43 AM
Why blame sls,I'm sure there are other ingredients in that shampoo since I've seen this brand used by people who have damaged hair so I guess it's not the simple cheap type.Read the whole ingredients list,it does sound like something in that shampoo is irritating your scalp.Better yet,read all the shampoo's you have had that made you itch and look for similarities in the ingredients list.This way,you'll rule out reactions to products.

Panth
October 18th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Why blame sls,I'm sure there are other ingredients in that shampoo since I've seen this brand used by people who have damaged hair so I guess it's not the simple cheap type.Read the whole ingredients list,it does sound like something in that shampoo is irritating your scalp.Better yet,read all the shampoo's you have had that made you itch and look for similarities in the ingredients list.This way,you'll rule out reactions to products.

Yeah, if you've had the same sort of itchy scalp with SLS-shampoo, non-SLS-shampoo and with "no poo", then I'm betting the one thing that it isn't is SLS...

tigereye
October 18th, 2014, 05:29 AM
I'm allergic to SLS (and SLES, and SCS and a bunch of related sulphates). If you went no-poo or SLS-free and still had the itchies, I seriously doubt it's the SLS, since my itching, scabbing sores disappeared pretty much within 2 washes of switching to cocamidopropyl betaine instead.
If it appears right after washing it's more likely to be an allergy, eczema or dry skin issue. If it develops over time between washes, it's more likely to be a fungal issue.
Best see a doctor or better yet, a dermatologist. They can tell the difference between these issues, test for allergies, and give you advice with how to deal with it.

leilani
October 18th, 2014, 06:21 AM
I had mad itchiness during six months of trying no poo, before that I used head and shoulders for dry scalp every five days and by the 4th day I'd feel itchy again. I never had flakes, but itchiness and scabs sometimes. I'm back on a dandruff shampoo (not H&S, a cone free one) & using it every day or every other day for awhile until I feel ready to stretch again. Is such a relief to be free of itchiness. I wish I could have made diy cleansing recipes and No Poo work out....

lapushka
October 18th, 2014, 07:57 AM
I'd slap some Nizoral on there. If the itchies go within one or two washes, you know what's causing it.

lapushka
October 18th, 2014, 07:59 AM
If it is seborrheic dermatitis, then you need an antifungal shampoo (2% ketoconazole, aka Nizoral) which you must use exactly as on the instructions / as the doctor orders. Once it's under control, you can do a variety of things to keep it from recurring (though not all of these are necessary for all people - you'll need to experiment). Namely: avoid oiling or getting conditioner on the scalp (the yeasts feed on oils); avoid leaving sebum or sweat on the scalp for very long (thus, don't stretch washes as much as you might otherwise); avoid leaving the scalp damp (thus, avoid damp bunning/braiding and maybe use a hairdryer on cool if your hair takes a long time to dry); use harsher cleansers, e.g. SLS (to help keep yeast colonies to a minimum); treat any itchies promptly with 2% ketoconazole before any recurrences get bad.

This is great advice. I can stretch to a week, I've found, but do need the harsher cleansers. If it crops back up again, though, I'm turning to Nizoral quick snap.

Sparklylady82
October 18th, 2014, 09:24 AM
There are a number of options.

1) An allergy of some sort. Culprits can be just about anything, but fragrances, preservatives and herbal extracts are somewhat more likely out of all the ingredients.

2) SLS can dry out the scalp and cause/exacerbate eczema-type skin problems in some people. That usually doesn't come with itching and scabs, though.

3) You can also just develop dry scalp conditions, such as eczema, without SLS being the culprit, of course. These may be acute (occurring just the once) or chronic (constant and/or recurring).

4) Fungal infections, like seborrheic dermatitis, can also be acute or chronic and can be induced/encouraged in susceptible people by certain routines. Generally, seborrheic dermatitis manifests as cradle cap-like dandruff, itching and raised, red welt-like patches on the scalp that eventually in severe cases turn to mushy, itchy, waxy dandruffy stuff that you can itch and itch and ... as much as you itch off, it's still like that underneath. If you itch it certainly can result in small scabs too. It's also often associated with quite considerable hair shedding.

Tbh, to me (what with the itchies, the scabs and the on-off presentation) seborrheic dermatitis is probably a good bet. Of course, you'd be best going to your doctor and getting a proper diagnosis (not least because the treatments for certain scalp conditions will exacerbate others - e.g. the moisturisers for eczema will actively make SD worse).

This is such thorough information! Thank you for taking the time to respond! Well I am going to go see a doc. All signs point to SD except that I have absolutely zero flakes. My scalp just has a few red spots that feel dry. I do already have mild psoriasis on my hands. A doctor could differentiate if I just have a dry scalp or SD. I also damp bun quite a bit. Last week I kept wet hair in a bun for 24 hours so I could have awakened yeast? Do you suggest I try a dandruff wash first? I think when I tried the Deva Low poo it gave me pimples on my scalp but I could give a different brand a try again.

I can see this is going to be quite a challenge to figure out :-(

lapushka
October 18th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Do you suggest I try a dandruff wash first? I think when I tried the Deva Low poo it gave me pimples on my scalp but I could give a different brand a try again.

I actually suggest going minimal so the doctor can see it for what it is. Don't go experimenting with products before going to a doctor.

gustavonut
October 18th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I've heard tea tree oil helps with scalp itchies. I put tea tree oil in my shampoo anyway and never have a problem with it.

In2wishin
October 18th, 2014, 11:00 AM
My own experience: I had the same issues with itchies and scalp sores. It turns out that many of the preservatives that are being used to replace parabens release formaldehyde and I am allergic to formaldehyde. I no longer use anything that has those preservatives and I haven't had an issue with my scalp for a couple of years now.

tigereye
October 18th, 2014, 11:13 AM
This is such thorough information! Thank you for taking the time to respond! Well I am going to go see a doc. All signs point to SD except that I have absolutely zero flakes. My scalp just has a few red spots that feel dry. I do already have mild psoriasis on my hands. A doctor could differentiate if I just have a dry scalp or SD. I also damp bun quite a bit. Last week I kept wet hair in a bun for 24 hours so I could have awakened yeast? Do you suggest I try a dandruff wash first? I think when I tried the Deva Low poo it gave me pimples on my scalp but I could give a different brand a try again.

Might be worth asking your doc if it's scalp psoriasis. About 1/2 of people with psoriasis elsewhere on their body go on to develop it on their scalp. It looks very similar to Seborrheic dermatitis with the exception of the large flakes that often come with SD (psoriasis tends to produce very fine powdery flakes, if anything at all)

Here in the UK, Neutrogena does a shampoo called T-gel, based on coal tar. In the UK, their 2% coal tar therapeutic shampoo is sometimes prescribed by dermatologists and GPs for dandruff or psoriasis and occasionally SD but you can also buy the same stuff in Boots. I don't know if they sell it over there in the US, but I know my family always have a bottle in the cupboard just in case, since it covers all the bases and gives us something that at very least won't make things worse until we can get an appointment with the doc.

ETA: don't know if it's the same stuff as the one our docs prescribe, and the box looks pretty different, but it seems they do make something similar in the US. Even if it seems to be twice the price over there as it is here :/ http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/neutrogena-t-gel-therapeutic-shampoo/ID=prod353411-product

Sparklylady82
October 18th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I
Might be worth asking your doc if it's scalp psoriasis. About 1/2 of people with psoriasis elsewhere on their body go on to develop it on their scalp. It looks very similar to Seborrheic dermatitis with the exception of the large flakes that often come with SD (psoriasis tends to produce very fine powdery flakes, if anything at all)

Here in the UK, Neutrogena does a shampoo called T-gel, based on coal tar. In the UK, their 2% coal tar therapeutic shampoo is sometimes prescribed by dermatologists and GPs for dandruff or psoriasis and occasionally SD but you can also buy the same stuff in Boots. I don't know if they sell it over there in the US, but I know my family always have a bottle in the cupboard just in case, since it covers all the bases and gives us something that at very least won't make things worse until we can get an appointment with the doc.

ETA: don't know if it's the same stuff as the one our docs prescribe, and the box looks pretty different, but it seems they do make something similar in the US. Even if it seems to be twice the price over there as it is here :/ http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/neutrogena-t-gel-therapeutic-shampoo/ID=prod353411-product

Yes I'm familiar with T-Gel. I may even have some in the cupboard. Now it's almost been 24 hours since I washed and my scalp feels better. Maybe I just need to wash with T-Gel to treat and then switch my shampoo to something basic.

Panth
October 19th, 2014, 02:58 AM

I actually suggest going minimal so the doctor can see it for what it is. Don't go experimenting with products before going to a doctor.

Scalp psoriasis is definitely a possibility (sorry, forgot that in my list). I'd definitely go to the doctor and not experiment too much before then.

CathyGo
October 19th, 2014, 04:28 AM
I buy the generic coal tar shampoo. I get the little scabs/itchies and my doctor has said it's probably mild psoriasis(I also have it on my elbows) but there's no reason to pursue it further if the coal tar shampoo works. I find that shampooing my scalp twice is what really works for me. Other people will find that too drying but my scalp is much happier with two rounds of the coal tar shampoo. Really work it all the way down there without scratching any of those scabs and watch for sensitivity to sunlight.