PDA

View Full Version : S&D won't cause split ends, will it?

Vaas
October 17th, 2014, 08:14 PM
It's probably because I'm looking so closely now, but I'm seeing split ends everywhere! I think my scissors are sharp enough. They're by Salon Selectives. *shrug*

Anyone else hum "Seek and Destroy" while snipping?

gthlvrmx
October 17th, 2014, 08:42 PM
S&D shouldn't cause any more splits. S&D should help get rid of splits that you may have.

Madora
October 17th, 2014, 08:47 PM
No, S and Ding will not cause split ends. S and D is the method you use to eradicate split ends by snipping them off.

If your scissors aren't sharp, however, you can harvest a crop of white dots every time you snip (white dots are the precursor to split ends). So, for the sake of your hair, always be sure your scissors are SHARP and only used for S and D.

Lots of splits could mean 2 things: not enough moisture in your hair...or splits due to mechanical damage from a variety of things (bad detangling practices, harsh brushing/chemical dye/straightening/using heat.

You might just try and trim off those split ends by giving yourself a slight trim of the ends (depending on how severe the damage is). Try 2 drops of mineral oil (also known as baby oil) on damp hair to help with moisturizing. You do NOT apply the MO to the hair. You apply the drops to the palms of your hands, then run your hands thru your hair.

You might want to review your hair history to see if you are doing anything that encourages split ends.

meteor
October 17th, 2014, 08:58 PM
No, S and Ding will not cause split ends. S and D is the method you use to eradicate split ends by snipping them off.

If your scissors aren't sharp, however, you can harvest a crop of white dots every time you snip (white dots are the precursor to split ends). So, for the sake of your hair, always be sure your scissors are SHARP and only used for S and D.

Lots of splits could mean 2 things: not enough moisture in your hair...or splits due to mechanical damage from a variety of things (bad detangling practices, harsh brushing/chemical dye/straightening/using heat.

You might just try and trim off those split ends by giving yourself a slight trim of the ends (depending on how severe the damage is). Try 2 drops of mineral oil (also known as baby oil) on damp hair to help with moisturizing. You do NOT apply the MO to the hair. You apply the drops to the palms of your hands, then run your hands thru your hair.

You might want to review your hair history to see if you are doing anything that encourages split ends.

That's excellent advice! :D
I absolutely agree: hair scissors should be used only on hair to avoid getting dull.
Please check your routine for anything damaging or drying. Avoid heat and chemical treatments, try to keep hair in protective styles, sleep on smooth surfaces (silk/satin), detangle very gently, avoid rough towel-drying, etc.
If you can't find anything at all that causes chemical/heat/mechanical damage, then your hair may routinely need more intense conditioning/oiling.

Vaas
October 17th, 2014, 09:06 PM
I don't think I'm doing anything to cause them. :/ maybe rough detangling, but I've tried really hard to be gentle. My hair has always been prone to split ends, that's the reason I switched to S&D, I was frustrated with having split ends within a week of a fresh haircut. I could try moisturizing more. I use deep conditioner every other wash. Would argan oil work okay?

Madora
October 17th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I don't think I'm doing anything to cause them. :/ maybe rough detangling, but I've tried really hard to be gentle. My hair has always been prone to split ends, that's the reason I switched to S&D, I was frustrated with having split ends within a week of a fresh haircut. I could try moisturizing more. I use deep conditioner every other wash. Would argan oil work okay?

Over conditioning your hair can cause it to gradually dry out, so go easy on the conditioning. How often do you wash? If you wash more than once a week, only condition once a week...and dilute your conditioner with water.

I have no experience with argan oil. Mineral oil is a lot more lightweight than argan oil and easier to shampoo out.

If you love your hair, learn how to detangle it properly. Slow and gentle detangling is not hard to do. Your hair will thank you for it!

cathair
October 17th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Make sure you are cutting the hairs off straight across and not on a diagonal.

Zebra Fish
October 18th, 2014, 02:06 AM

I used to have the same problem and hairdressers would tell me that "It is what is it" and that's my hair and I can't have it long. I can't tell for sure what did the trick for me, must say I didn't pay attention so much back then. I know that on the 2nd or 3rd year of study I went to a well known hairdresser and within a year my hair just grew, I didn't have to go get a trim every month but every 4 months and I still had no splits. That was the first time, but really can't help if it was climate/hairdresser/water/shampoo and/or conditioner change. Than that hairdresser got the prices sky high and, as being a student, I couldn't afford it anymore. By finishing my studies I got back to having problems. This time I know going sulphate and cone free and keeping my hair up helped. A lot. Again, can't tell if there was some 3rd or 4th factor involved, as again, wasn't paying too much attention. I did also lots of deep oilings back then, which I stopped now (out of laziness) but the splits didn't return. I do go back to cones during summer, but clarify at the end of swimming season (sea water, not pool) and then cone free again - no splits here either.

I tried S&D-ing few times waaaay back (just that I didn't it had a name) but it just wouldn't help, the splits were always back pretty soon. Maybe if you are pretty sure you care of all the stuff Madora mentioned, and you are not doing them, it could be something in your routine that your hair doesn't like at this moment?

GetMeToWaist
October 18th, 2014, 02:12 AM

Does MO have cones?

meteor
October 18th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Does MO have cones?

No, mineral oil is pure oil, nothing else. :) Please make sure to check ingredients list though, because sometimes manufacturers will add fragrance and other unnecessary stuff to it. It's a great (if often maligned without scientific proof) emollient and occlusive. Unlike some natural plant oils, it's not a common allergen, doesn't clog pores, doesn't feed fungal conditions like seborrheic dermatitis, doesn't smell and doesn't go rancid... it's a pretty good product to have on hand. :)

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-32605/mineral-oil-top/details

Madora
October 18th, 2014, 08:06 AM
No, mineral oil is pure oil, nothing else. :) Please make sure to check ingredients list though, because sometimes manufacturers will add fragrance and other unnecessary stuff to it. It's a great (if often maligned without scientific proof) emollient and occlusive. Unlike some natural plant oils, it's not a common allergen, doesn't clog pores, doesn't feed fungal conditions like seborrheic dermatitis, doesn't smell and doesn't go rancid... it's a pretty good product to have on hand. :)

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-32605/mineral-oil-top/details

Excellent post, Meteor! You captured MO to a "T"! It's great stuff!

jacqueline101
October 18th, 2014, 08:46 AM
If your scissors are dull you can get splits from doing them. Actually white dots is what you get.