PDA

View Full Version : What are your Hair Revelations?

leilani
October 17th, 2014, 03:24 PM
tell me your major game changing Revelations that dawned on you since joining LHC about your hair that you wish you would have known ages ago.....!!

Here's some of mine :

The fallacy of chops (as opposed to microtrimming) to aid with damaged hair looking sad: A big chop is so swishy and fluid because the ends are fresh and silky and don't snarl on each other, but unless the hair is damage free, the cuticle will unravel from the bottom quickly (couple months max) and there will be new splits and white dots creating the beginning of velcro ends again, and all that wonderful swishing around will stop and the ends will start down the road to scraggly again and then you just have....less hair. A dusting or microtrimming done frequently (as soon as ends start to unravel) on damaged hair will have far better results.

Layers in the back of my straight hair don't do anything but make my hemline see-through in the back. Front/Face framing layers on the other hand, cascading from face all the way down to the length, enhance my face a bunch and can make waist and hip length straight hair look stylish and contemporary and a "shape" to hair when down.

Of course repeated bleach highlights heavily applied to your canopy with no attempt to avoid previously bleached strands will cause a) hair almost totally tapered to nothing due to breaking off by APL, and b) robbing you of your natural color palette that would be by definition more flattering.

Fussy scalps can not be benign neglected, only neglected with hell to then pay.

Some hair doesn't need anything but a nice gentle (pH balanced) cone free shampoo and air dry, and occasional wide tooth combing to detangle. Conditioner can really weigh down your hair!

Tell me yours!

jacqueline101
October 17th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I have a lot of things I've learned since joining here. One I learned about monistst and hair growth. I never heard of monistat being used for growth. Monistat is my friend.
I never heard of some of the pretty up dos worn on here or the flexi8 or ficcars. I bought a flexi Lila rose brand didn't like it gave it away. Ficcar looks more my style. I like duck bill clips.
I never heard of some of the wash and style methods here. I like wcc and loc method myself. I tried all the thing I mentioned and love what I've tried for the most part. I love self trims.
I learned bleach isn't my best friend or layers my hair was like broom straw due to the both of them.

Entangled
October 17th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Vinegar is miracle conditioner for the hair above my ears. Diluted shampoo is wonderful and is so much easier to apply than gel-ly. Conditioner is magic(alright, so that's an exaggeration.) Damp braiding makes my hair soft. The best way to deal with a bad hair day is to wear an English braid or nautilus bun.

Madora
October 17th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Mineral oil makes a great replacement for conditioner! I never would have believed it until I tried it! That alone cut 30 minutes off my shampooing/conditioning time! A major plus in my book!

meteor
October 17th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Fantastic thread! :D

And I can really relate to all your revelations, leilani! :D

Here are some of mine (very simplified):

1) The more I go to hair salons, the less hair I have. The way to have lots and lots of hair is to avoid hair-dressers like the plague.

2) I don't need to brush hair many times a day to avoid dreadlocks. I don't need to brush at all, and since stopping brushing I have zero split-ends! Strange but the less I comb the less my hair tangles. I can comb only once every couple days and my hair loves it.

3) Learning to put hair up, sleep on silk, wear a hat, not overwash it... and other ways of protecting hair that seemed too fussy originally. Protected hair vs. unprotected hair is like having a flag folded nicely at home vs. flag hanging outside your home every day in the wind - hair is fiber and should be treated as such.

I have more, and I know these are all "duh" kinds of revelations, but they helped me tremendously! :)

Lindenare
October 17th, 2014, 09:01 PM
My hair can go up! And it can even stay without three dozen bobby pins! And it will hold all day, not just 2-3 hours! Even if I walk everywhere!

That's probably my single biggest discovery from LHC. Before, I was so updo-challenged that - well, the above excitement isn't exaggerated.
Other revelations include:
1. The discovery of hair toys that are large enough for my hair and sturdy enough that my hair doesn't break them.
2. Microtrimming and self-trimming. I'd never heard of either before LHC, and I intend to try self-microtrims to grow out my layers when I can get a pair of hair scissors.
3. Limiting mechanical damage. Seriously, it was something I'd never thought of before.

iluvbooks
October 17th, 2014, 10:00 PM
To use hair forks & sticks instead of using elastic ties or bobby pins. Phew, that was a game changer.

Aderyn
October 18th, 2014, 12:57 AM
Updos. Hair toys.

Minimal products - just a shampoo bar and cone-free conditioner. No oils, creams, gels, mists, etc.

LadyCelestina
October 18th, 2014, 02:05 AM
-Less is more when using leave in,but not with rinse out conditioners.
-Light silicones are my friends
-Shampoo is my friend
-Updo's will hold all day with a couple carefully inserted pins added.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 18th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Sleeping caps.

Mineral oil.

Diluted shampoo.

Protective styling.

Fufu
October 18th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Learned about wood combs and oils...

Stretched hair washes..

updos / hair toys..

Taliara
October 18th, 2014, 04:33 AM
- Oils
- Not shampooing the whole hair
- Braiding/bun when I sleep
- Wide tooth combs and avoid brushing when wet
- Microtrimming/S&D

Verdandi
October 18th, 2014, 04:36 AM
- My hair isn't "boring straigth without any body" (as a hairdresser once told me...), that was just cones...
- It CAN hold hairstyles for hours, even if elastics slide out. because I don't HAVE to use elastics.
- There are more things to hair care than just SC with wathever looked nice in the shampoo isle and ripping an old brush through and go on with the day ;)
- All hair products aren't for everyone. Before I thought my hair was wrong, not the product.

jacqueline101
October 18th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Fantastic thread! :D

And I can really relate to all your revelations, leilani! :D

Here are some of mine (very simplified):

1) The more I go to hair salons, the less hair I have. The way to have lots and lots of hair is to avoid hair-dressers like the plague.

2) I don't need to brush hair many times a day to avoid dreadlocks. I don't need to brush at all, and since stopping brushing I have zero split-ends! Strange but the less I comb the less my hair tangles. I can comb only once every couple days and my hair loves it.

3) Learning to put hair up, sleep on silk, wear a hat, not overwash it... and other ways of protecting hair that seemed too fussy originally. Protected hair vs. unprotected hair is like having a flag folded nicely at home vs. flag hanging outside your home every day in the wind - hair is fiber and should be treated as such.

I have more, and I know these are all "duh" kinds of revelations, but they helped me tremendously! :)

I get tangles like you described in one area of my head I'm wondering if a s&d is in order and try combing less.

melusine963
October 18th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Coconut oil as a leave-in detangler/conditioner

Hair sticks and spin pins

Sulphate-free shampoo

Monsoonu
October 18th, 2014, 12:43 PM
My hair loves coconut oil, sulphate free but hates silicones.

Layers at the back are a no no as my hair is naturally thin (lots of very fine hairs).

Feathering/layering at the font allows me to add a wave to my poker straight hair.

meteor
October 18th, 2014, 12:46 PM
I get tangles like you described in one area of my head I'm wondering if a s&d is in order and try combing less.

How do you usually wear your hair, jacqueline101? And is the tangling in the area where your hair is the finest and thickest/most dense? If so, I would try to keep that area contained and sectioned in some combination of braids/buns... For example, if the tangles are in the back/nape, I would do 2 side braids or 2 side buns to keep that back/nape hair detangled and separated. If the tangling is in the front/canopy face-framing layers, I'd do accent braids before putting the rest of hair up.
I think strategic sectioning is extremely useful when wearing hair up or washing hair, especially if hair is dense and tangle-prone.
I wouldn't necessarily S&D unless there is actual damage/breakage/split-ends/white dots... And finding the right products (especially conditioners and leave-ins) should really help with slip.

arr
October 19th, 2014, 03:51 PM
No heat (except for low/warm blowdrying that is comfortable to my hand)
Trimming at home
Oils (coconut, olive, mineral)
Wearing hair up (and sticks, forks, spin pins)
Permanent color only on roots
No silicones
BBB
S&D
YouTube hair tutorials

chen bao jun
October 19th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Before I was on LHC, I thought that the fact that people with long, beautiful hair generally said something along the lines of "I don't do anything (much)" when asked how it got that way, meant that they were genetically blessed. It was a revelation that the less you do, the more likelier you are to have great hair, because messing with your hair a lot breaks it off and destroys it, by definition. Benign neglect rules!

However, as a curly, I do need to leave conditioner in. Leave in conditioner has changed my life, and my hair. and I did also need to learn that as someone with very thick hair, I needed to get in under the canopy. All my life, I was applying products to the top only with the result that I actually thought I had a couple of different hairtypes, which turned out not to be true for me personally (though I know it is for some people).

DreamSheep
October 19th, 2014, 04:16 PM
1) Scrunchies > Normal elastics
2) Chopsticks and claw clibs work better
3) My hair has super wavy (maybe 2b-2c) bits in the underlayer!!!
4) Keeping hair moisturised at the ends is important (with coconut oil)
5) Washing my hair infrequently was the right thing to do :)

I definitely have more, these are the ones off the top of my head (or top of my hair, harr harr harr)