PDA

View Full Version : selenium

mamaherrera
October 17th, 2014, 05:48 AM
I saw here that someone mentioned hairloss from taking too much selenium. I drink 1 oz of wheatgrass daily, which has lots of selenium and then I take a prenatal, which also has selenium, and then of course I eat! For those of you who know, do you think that is too much selenium???

Lindenare
October 17th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Hair loss is one symptom of selenosis, or selenium overload. If you're worried about possible selenosis, I'd estimate your daily selenium intake in micrograms, then compare it to the recommended selenium intake and to the tolerable upper intake levels for your age/sex, all of which can be found in this link. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-HealthProfessional/ If you're near the recommended intake level, then I wouldn't worry. Of course, I'm not a doctor.

swearnsue
October 17th, 2014, 12:10 PM
That was me that took too much selenium. Here is what I was taking DAILY: Centrum Silver has 55 mcg selenium (70% daily value per label). New Chapter Vitamin E + Selenium Food Complex has 100 mcg (140% daily value per label) AND every night my husband would snack on mixed nuts and would hand me all the Brazil nuts he came across. My guess is I would eat about 5 a day.

So anyway, I was taking way too much. BTW, I think New Chapter has discontinued their E + Selenium supplement.