PDA

View Full Version : Creams and serums and oil in hair

Zugar
October 16th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Hi!

Just curious; when you use creams, serums, oil etc in your hair for moisturizing, do you get this ... em, fatty/shiny residue on your hands when touching it? Hard to explain in english, but I hope you understand what I mean?

gustavonut
October 16th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Well, if you mean the greasy feeling with oils/creams/serum then, yes.

spidermom
October 16th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I don't. I never apply anything really heavily except the occasional pre-wash warm oil treatment. I keep my hands out of my hair after I do that.

Zugar
October 16th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Well, if you mean the greasy feeling with oils/creams/serum then, yes.

Heh, that was exactly what I meant!

LadyCelestina
October 16th, 2014, 10:31 AM
No but I get the feeling you might be using something with shea butter or lanolin?

gustavonut
October 16th, 2014, 10:49 AM
As long as you don't use too much you are good. You don't even need a bunch of any of that, unless of course, it's a pre-poo oil treatment or a deep treatment. I say use everything sparingly and it works just a well as using a handful.

Zugar
October 16th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Just went and checked the ingredients, and yes, one of the creams I use contain shea butter.

gustavonut: I do use the products sparingly, made the "amount-mistake" to many times in the past :)

arr
October 16th, 2014, 01:48 PM
For me personally, if i can feel "something" - waxiness, oiliness, stickiness, anything - in my hair, then i've used too much product. In fact, that is one of the biggest things I've learned in regards to haircare: less is more. I need way less oil and leave in than I initially thought.

Anje
October 16th, 2014, 02:50 PM
You're not the only one to experience this. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121839&p=2850135&viewfull=1#post2850135) Not by a long shot.

The remedy, of course, is to use less. How much you can smear one has a lot to do with your hair's texture and the stuff's tendency to get less gooey (kinda like gel deodorant -- some dries, some stays gooey FOREVER), but someone like me with fine and more-or-less straight hair doesn't get to apply much before getting gross hair. I seriously use about 2 drops of oil on all my hair and can't stand leave-in conditioners at all.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 17th, 2014, 02:24 AM
If there's still some shine left on your hands after you wipe it all on your hair, that means you overused the product :)

Zugar
October 17th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Thank you for all your input! :)