PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify this bun?

AprilElf
September 25th, 2008, 12:30 AM
This is a bun I've never done before today, and I don't recall having seen instructions for it anywhere. I just did it today when my flipped-up cinnabun wasn't working for me. :o

Does anyone recognise it and know what it's called?
What I did: Do a cinnabun. Loosen the inner coil a bit, then ease it to the left while pulling the outer coil to the right. Secure with stick/fork/clip through the loops.

It reminds me of the updo I know as the heart or pretzel bun, and also looks similar to an infinity bun ... but the styling method is different. :confused:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/P9250049a-1.jpg

karenpetal
September 25th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I know what it is Gorgeous Bun :)

Arctic_Mama
September 25th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Hm... maybe something like a modified infinity bun?

Shanarana
September 25th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I don't know what you would call it, but it sure is pretty. :)

Melisande
September 25th, 2008, 04:51 AM
April Elf, I have no idea what kind of bun this is but I know that your head is one of the most beautiful around here. And this really means something!!!

I second the Gorgeous Bun. Can you re-do it?

carolineb
September 25th, 2008, 05:33 AM
is it not the nautilus bun? well, this is what i've always called a nautilus bun. i love this one, i find it so comfortable

aprilmay
September 25th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Looks great! How fun to pick out a name for a bun.

AprilElf
September 26th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Thanks so much for the positive comments. :)

Melisande :Star: *blush* Thank you!
Yes, I can replicate it, though it works better higher on my head, rather than near the nape.

carolineb :Star:
It's not a nautilus bun as I know it. For my nautilus buns (which I still struggle with!) I use the method shown in Hypnotica's video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=466690622319220011). So in that way, at least, the buns are quite different. Here's what my nautilus bun looked like today, so you can see how they look different too.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/P9260055a.jpg

I'll certainly choose a name for the bun shown in my first post if it's not already named. I just thought that for sure it would be already known to someone. :face:

*nibbles on a :cookie: and waits*

Juliet's Silk
September 26th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I'm pretty sure that we had instructions like this on the old boards.
LadyChristmas did the instructions, so we named the bun "LadyChristmas' bun" if I recall correctly. The corresponding thread is here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52632).

ETA: Now if I think about it, the LadyChristmas instructions only call for pulling ONE coil, not both. Hm. So maybe not the same then?

carolineb
September 26th, 2008, 05:25 AM
oh, sorry then, i'm a bit confused!
Sure it is a lovely bun though, whatever its name is!

AprilElf
September 26th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Thanks for posting that link Juliet's Silk! Yes, I think what I'm doing is a variation of the LadyChristmas bun. I start with a cinnabun (which has two coils and the excess tucked under) and separate the coils sideways, whereas she starts with a bee-butt bun and pulls the top coil(s?) down to the scalp.
I think it's similar enough to be in the same family ... ;)

Yay! Mystery solved. :Star:

winter_star
September 26th, 2008, 06:12 AM
AprilElf I'm not too sure of the name but I have worn this style before and i'm pretty sure I found it on LHC or maybe Youtube. I was also able to re-create it from your instructions too. It's such a pretty and compfy style.

Addy
September 26th, 2008, 06:17 AM
It's beautiful!

I hope someday soon that I will be able to do these! :)

Juliet's Silk
September 26th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Thanks for posting that link Juliet's Silk! Yes, I think what I'm doing is a variation of the LadyChristmas bun. I start with a cinnabun (which has two coils and the excess tucked under) and separate the coils sideways, whereas she starts with a bee-butt bun and pulls the top coil(s?) down to the scalp.
I think it's similar enough to be in the same family ... ;)

You're very welcome. I really like to do this bun because the way I do it, it ends up looking like an ordinary but really defined cinnabun (whereas when I do a cinnabun the usual way, it looks like one blob of hair).
I also start with a cinnabun with two coils as well, then pull the inner coil around the others. I think I have to try pulling both coils sideways as well sometime. :agree:

Molster
September 26th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Very lovely - it sounds like a Gibraltar Bun. I can't remember who originally posted the instructions for it, but I do remember it off the old site.

Do please correct me if someone knows better.

Shell
September 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM
The Gibraltar bun was invented by cortese.

AprilElf's bun looks like a heart bun, which was explained (and maybe invented?) by Ursula.