PDA

View Full Version : question for curlies who DO NOT brush or comb on dry hair!

mamaherrera
October 15th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Ok I am trying to be better about french braiding to exercise. But because I have the curls, I don't brush, and I find that I do my braid, it's all good, but throughout the day I get pulling within the braid, and I can't find out why this happens. It's annoying, because I don't want to redo a braid, for me it's start from scratch. Sometimes I wonder if it's because i Don't brush, so hairs aren't clumps/laying together with the right hairs, so they come from other sections and end up not liking the direction they're going in (I HOpe that makes sense). Anyone else find this or how do you all do your braids without combing/brushing?? I don't mind the "Unkept" look, that doesn't bother me, it's the pulling, and I think I need to get my hairs laying in the right direction, the underlayers I think. I smooth the top layer with my hand, but I think the underlayers are tangled or out of place, and then when they get braided, they start pulling. Hoping people chime in and share what works!

koolkittychick
October 15th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Hi, mamaherrera, the reason you are experiencing the pulling is because there is not even tension being placed on all the hairs, because they are not all being directed back into your French braid with just the smoothing action to the top layer--basically exactly what you suspect. This is sufficient for straight hair, but curls need the help of a combing action through to the scalp to get a more even tension throughout the length to alleviate the pulling. If your curls are loose enough, finger combing to the scalp when you direct the hair back should do the trick, but if you have a tighter curl (like me), you may have to dampen your hair with a little water or detangler to get enough slip to finger comb it back into position to braid. Good luck!

mamaherrera
October 15th, 2014, 03:05 PM
so with each section, I just need to fingercomb them back, I mean I don't need to fingercomb the whole head before starting, just each section?? I've gotta get this figured out, its annoying, and yes I might have to dampen!

cherrybird
October 15th, 2014, 03:17 PM
I only do English braids when I haven't brushed my hair. I comb my hair before I french braid it, but I can't wear it down again until I wash! I'm going to have to try koolkittychick's suggestion.

mamaherrera
October 15th, 2014, 03:52 PM
yes I am just hoping she responds back to explain if she finger combs each section or finger combs the whole head first. Yes I can do English braids with no problem, cuz I just braid the length, but if I braid the "scalp" hair, as in french braids, then I get the pulling!

CurlyCap
October 16th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Yep, like koolkittychick said, if your curls are formed within the braid, they pull/tug/lie unevenly.

I'm 3b/3c, and I only really braid on wet hair. It allows the braid to be the only dominant pattern. Anything else is 1)tangly 2)uncomfortable 3)doesn't look as good.

mamaherrera
October 16th, 2014, 12:32 AM
yes I know you are right, so if you haven't washed, but want to braid, dampen the hair no, it's not like mine are bouncy curls, but they are still in clumps/ (plastered from the night before) but still clumps, so yes, I feel the pulls and I can never figure out where! So if you don't wash daily, do you just damped/water bottle type thing?? I hate to braid on totally wet hair, because 1) my scalp hates to stay damp for hours 2) my hair is very heavy /fragile feeling when wet (when it is dry, it feels like nothing, though)

CurlyCap
October 16th, 2014, 12:42 AM
Yep, like koolkittychick said, if your curls are formed within the braid, they pull/tug/lie unevenly.

I'm 3b/3c, and I only really braid on wet hair. It allows the braid to be the only dominant pattern. Anything else is 1)tangly 2)uncomfortable 3)doesn't look as good.

koolkittychick
October 16th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Hi manaherrera, sorry I didn't get back to you right away! Yes, it's better to dampen your hair in sections (NOT to soaking wet, more like a mist from a spray bottle. Using a liquid detangler product is best for this, based on your hair type) and gently finger comb the hair back into the direction of your French braid, detangling as you go. Depending on your curl pattern, around 3 to 4 sections should work for you. You will get a longer lasting and more comfortable French braid this way. Hope this helps, and let me know if you are still having problems with pulling. :D