PDA

View Full Version : - Any tutorials for how to use this kind of clip ?

RedheadMistress
October 15th, 2014, 12:36 PM
- So I have a bunch of things like this:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxlOWlpO1Ocz6zQdstx-O5_VV8-i6hKr9E9UjR9lo5_IcjEHkV3Q
What are the different names for these things ?
Also, does anyone know any videos for how to use it with long hair ?

I have so many beautiful ones but I suck at putting my hair up and now I'm trying to it grow and go natural (yay!) but I need help and inspiration to put up my thick ass curly hair with these things . .

Help !

DreadfulWoman
October 15th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I would call that a beak clip. I've seen some tutorials here and there for making a bun with those, but I've never had much luck with them myself.

Nini
October 15th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Yeah, it's a beak clip. And depending on the spring they can be a bit tricky to work with I've found. I have one from Ficcare that's rock solid if I get the placement right, but others just slide out of my slippery hair.

kaydana
October 15th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Not got a video, but I can do you a written explanation if that's any good? *dashes off to find where she wrote it to avoid typing it all out again*

You start off with a centre held bun, such as a nautilus, gibraltar, LWB or disc bun. It's important to ensure that the bun is relatively flat, the centre should not be significantly thicker or thinner than the outer loops. If it isn't flat you will need to adjust the bun by either loosening it slightly or redo it. If the centre is significantly larger than the outer loops, you may be able to wrap your hair around your hand twice or wrap it once and then wrap half a second time. If the middle bit isn't sticking out, it'd probably good.

Open up the beak clip as wide as it will go and hold it so the top is completely horizontal. Look at the bottom bit. That's the angle it needs to go into the bun at.

Push the bottom bit into the bun, starting between the outer loop and middle section on whichever side you're holding the clip on. It shouldn't go through the outer loop on that side at all (and should go under the loop on the other side). The top of the clip should be parallel with the bun at all times, do not wiggle it like you might do with a hair stick or fork.

Once it's pushed all the way, let go. Then take it out and try again because I can pretty much guarantee it won't work properly the first time. ;)

Madora
October 15th, 2014, 05:08 PM
The beak clip is just a bobby pin on steroids! It is only good for holding sections of hair, not to secure hair when braiding it, or twisting it. You need something that has a clasp on it when you want to use it to hold hair for any length of time (think Flexi 8 or Goody ouchless barrettes..or French barretes). The beak clip will eventually loosen. Beside,it is not hair friendly (too much pressure on delicate strands and possibility of hair catching in that blasted clasp. That happened to me, years ago, I tossed my beak clip in the garbage).

RedheadMistress
October 15th, 2014, 05:15 PM
- thank you all for replies !
Yes I know it's awful for hair hah, and I will try the written tutorial tomorrow before I go out !
I am pretty haphazard with my hair, there's so much of it, I keep it loose and do all matter or harmful things since I stopped bleaching/dying it, I allow myself to get hair stuck in the beak clip, happens sometimes. But I like how much I've learned here about hair, so now that I know it's a lot happier and I don't try to bleach it to all hell and back, I like having small little harmful pleasures.. like I really like putting it up in beak clips and having it hang all loose and curly, kinda like a messy bun but yes, think I will need to use several beak clips, or like you suggested, use barettes and other things, then use this for show, cause yeah it's hard doing it all with this and Not having it get loose and slowly falling out n clamping my hair with it . .

thank you <3

RedheadMistress
October 15th, 2014, 05:19 PM
- and yeah the ones I have must have strong springs so it properly grips into my hair, otherwise it's not gonna be able to hold Anything up (not in my hair haha) . .

need to buy barrettes but I shall try the written instruction tomorrow n give it a go ! sometimes I do it just right, most of the time I do awful looks and just go; ah, screw it, just gonna have it loose Again . .

cause I dont like my look with my hair pulled back or up in a bun so I only do protective hairstyles at home, but wanna find something Half protective, half down/messy, so it's a good compromise and I dont have to get self conscious. so jealous of people who look good in protective buns ! !

Beckstar
October 15th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Beakclip. I use those for French twists.