PDA

View Full Version : Do you grow your hair long for religious reasons?

turtlelover
October 14th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I was wondering how many people here are growing out their hair for religious or spiritual reasons vs. just growing out their hair because they like long hair. I've recently become fascinated with teachings regarding long hair in the Bible, and considering how to interpret certain Bible passages regarding hair. I also know that other religions have their own teachings about hair, and find learning what others believe to be such an interesting topic, so I thought I'd start a thread for that here. :-)

Larki
October 14th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Nope; I'm agnostic. Which religions grow their hair out?

DreamSheep
October 14th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Nope - althoughI'm curious to know why certain religions do not allow the hair to be cut.

Sparklylady82
October 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I do BUT I love long hair on my own as well :-) PM me if your interested

meteor
October 14th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I don't.

Which religions grow their hair out?
Sikhism is the first one that comes to mind - they practice "kesh / kes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesh_%28Sikhism%29)", which requires allowing one's hair to grow naturally as a symbol of respect for the perfection of God's creation. The practice is one of their Five Ks - symbols of following the Sikh faith/philosophy.
In the Old Testament, the Nazirites would go for long periods of time without cutting their hair to show devotion to God.
And the Bible (Corinthians 11:15 (http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/11-15.htm)) mentions: "but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering." I think some Christian women choose to never cut their hair because of this.
I hope more knowledgeable people will answer your question though. :)

DreadfulWoman
October 14th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I'm not religious myself, but I think different religions' rules concerning hair and dress are really interesting.

The 2 groups I can think of that discourage their members from cutting their hair at all are Pentecostals (women only), and Sikhs (both men and women). And then there are lots of Christian religions that encourage women to keep their hair long of course, since it is mentioned in the bible. I have heard that some Amish women don't cut their hair at all, but I think that is probably a matter of personal choice. They are supposed to keep their hair long, but as far as I know there aren't any Amish groups that have rules against cutting at all.

woodswanderer
October 14th, 2014, 07:50 PM
No, and I hate it when people assume I'm religious because I have long hair.

tokugawa.miyako
October 14th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I'm not religious but this is an interesting topic! I believe that fundamentalist mormons (and some other fundamentalist Christian groups) also require that women not cut their hair, which makes sense if they take the Bible literally. I could be wrong though.

kelseyxface
October 14th, 2014, 09:48 PM
http://islamqa.info/en/13744 Found a very interesting take on how Muslim's regard hair. Granted if you google "Can Muslim women cut their hair" you get a lot of slightly varying opinions. But all boil down to a woman's hair is her beauty, she may cut it as she pleases as long as it does not imitate and animal or non believer. I like the idea of hair and religion. (:

tokugawa.miyako
October 14th, 2014, 09:53 PM
http://islamqa.info/en/13744 I like the idea of hair and religion. (:

It is really interesting. Even for a nonreligious person, it's cool to me that hair is symbolic and significant in certain faiths and cultures.

rowie
October 14th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Nope! And I'm a pantheist/pagan. I'm growing for myself towards unique self expression.

Marika
October 14th, 2014, 10:13 PM
I'm not religious, so the answer is no. I actually know two women who say they are keeping their hair long for religious reasons but they both have short hair (shoulder length) in my opinion! :D But for them, shoulder length is long and don't plan to grow any longer.

hennalonghair
October 14th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Muslin, Mennonite, Amish are some religions that come to mind.

idiay
October 14th, 2014, 10:18 PM
not really, but I love this topic, haha.

darklyndsea
October 14th, 2014, 10:24 PM
No, but it seems like the older I get the more I start looking like I'm religious. Long skirts, long hair, hair covering because of the sun...who knows what will be next?!

Aderyn
October 14th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Nope.

Not religious at all, nor do I believe in any deities/god.

People do assume I'm religious since I wear my hair up all of the time, dress more modestly and am on the more submissive side, though.

Adiro
October 14th, 2014, 11:10 PM
I am religious, ( Christian Orthodox) so is the rest of my family but nobody ever made me "grow" my hair, and I have not, until recently. Actually at least in my culture, the head ( and hair) is often covered as a symbol of modesty, when going to church.

about believing and not believing, I won't comment.

CrazyGrace
October 14th, 2014, 11:51 PM
There are religious reasons why I don't cut my hair, but they aren't the only reasons, and I really think that I would grow it long anyway. I quite like my hair the way it is and think that it would be a royal pain to deal with if I cut it very much shorter than it is.

fiğrildi
October 15th, 2014, 01:01 AM
Nope. Atheist here.
I grow my hair because I love long hair, period.

Youngjae
October 15th, 2014, 01:22 AM
Nup, I'm an atheist here but I often get mistaken... Maybe because people think that a teenage girl would never have long hair and wear long skirts and refuse to wear low necklines unless she was religious..... But l think that the sentiment is lovely for those who choose to grow their hair to please their god/gods

Dreams_in_Pink
October 15th, 2014, 01:35 AM
I'm growing my hair solely for vanity purposes :)
I'm muslim and have no religious restrictions for growing/cutting hair. But i don't wear my hair in a suitable fashion either (hijab, that is). So even though there were some restrictions, i'm not sure i'd obey them :rolleyes:

ummyahya
October 15th, 2014, 02:08 AM
As an orthodox Muslim, I would not shave my head or cut my hair very short.
But growing long is a choice of practicality (buns under the veil are the most comfortable thing ever) and aesthetics :pinktongue:

Olavi
October 15th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Sort of. I'm not highly religious or spiritual, and my main motive to grow my hair is because I really like long hair. But now that my hair isn't short any more, and it's undyed, I feel more closer connection to nature.

Siowiel
October 15th, 2014, 03:40 AM
I think there was a similar thread aaaages ago.... not sure if I replied there, I think I should dig it out to see if my feelings on this issue have changed!

I do not grow my hair out for religious/spiritual reasons, but still my hair has spiritual significance because my long hair is, to me, connected to my femininity, and I consider this (in a somewhat pagan way) to be a powerful spiritual thing in its own way, to be a woman. :)

Edit: Here it is!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8903

Not really reasons of faith here.

Although I am Christian, my denomination (Roman Catholic)sets no rules on how women (or men) have to keep their hair, long, short, shaved, in rastas or however.

But I feel more feminine with long hair, and embracing the (gender) role God has given me is of course part of my spirituality, so perhaps I have more reasons of faith for grwoing than I thought.

Yeah, times, have changed. I do not consider myself Christian/Cathollic any longer, but it seems the significance I attach to my hair in spiritual terms is still somewhat the same!

Angels+Eyeliner
October 15th, 2014, 04:06 AM
I'm not growing my hair for any particular religious or spiritual purposes, but then I guess there's something a bit more than the aesthetic behind my choice.
For most of my decision making life (before I was twelve or so, my mum pretty much picked my hairstyle) I've been cutting my hair to around ear length. Now I am engaged, I don't want to cut my hair short again because I want long hair when we get married (it's going to be a loooooong engagement as we're saving up penny by penny, so I should have long hair by then). I don't know if I'll cut it short again after the wedding because I've always wanted long hair but it's always seemed to conflict with other things I wanted (being a bike punk student with no time to wash or brush hair). I don't want to say I won't cut it short again because that will probably spark up the rebellious part of my brain!

Weirdly enough, although it's not a proper tradition or cultural thing, I found out recently that my mother didn't cut her hair when she was planning her wedding.

momschicklets
October 15th, 2014, 07:12 AM
I'm a Christian :) But I'm not growing my hair because of it. I'm growing my hair long because I want to and it makes me happy happy

earth
October 15th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Though I do not have long hair for religious reasons, I have been fascinated by the religious mystics that do such as the Indian Sadhus, the Rastafarians and the defunct "House of David" religious group that was in the US. These were males with long hair, because I am a male with long hair.

DreadfulWoman
October 15th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I'm not religious but this is an interesting topic! I believe that fundamentalist mormons (and some other fundamentalist Christian groups) also require that women not cut their hair, which makes sense if they take the Bible literally. I could be wrong though.

The FLDS (polygamist mormons) require that women keep their hair very long, but I don't think they have any rules against cutting at all. I've seen that claim in news articles from time to time, but if you look at their hair it's clear that at least some of them trim.

I had always assumed that they kept their hair long for biblical reasons too, but I've read it's actually because they are supposed to use their hair to wash the feet of Christ, either at the second coming or in the afterlife, I can't remember which.

Coincidentally, I've always thought the FLDS women had some of the most amazing hairdos. Google "flds hair" if you want to see some pictures of some absolutely mind blowing braids. I'm not a big fan of the overall aesthetic, especially with the giant "poof" in front, but you can't deny that those ladies have got some mad braiding skills.

Eastbound&Down
October 15th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I'm working my way back to natural hair because I feel that if it grows out of my head this way, I should embrace it as I embrace myself. Not necessarily as a religious motive, more of a "Love Thyself" philosophy.

Anje
October 15th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I identify as Christian, but my denomination wouldn't care whether my hair was to my knees or my head was shaved. My choice to grow my hair long is simply my choice. :)

tokugawa.miyako
October 15th, 2014, 10:54 AM
The FLDS (polygamist mormons) require that women keep their hair very long, but I don't think they have any rules against cutting at all. I've seen that claim in news articles from time to time, but if you look at their hair it's clear that at least some of them trim.

Yes! You are right. Sorry, I mistakenly equated "growing long for spiritual reasons" with "not cutting for spiritual reasons". No more posting while tired for me. :doh:

Agnes Hannah
October 15th, 2014, 11:02 AM
I grow it because I like long hair, pure and simple.:agree:

Stormynights
October 15th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I am a Christian. I don't really fit into any church doctrine because I think different churches have only a small part of what the Bible teaches right. I grow my hair because I want to.

Vulpes
October 15th, 2014, 11:16 AM
While I want to grow my hair for aesthetic reasons, I am pagan and I would love to look like the Goddess I so adore! Long hair makes me feel more feminine and more connected to that Goddess energy.

DreadfulWoman
October 15th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Yes! You are right. Sorry, I mistakenly equated "growing long for spiritual reasons" with "not cutting for spiritual reasons". No more posting while tired for me. :doh:

Oh, don't be sorry. I wasn't trying to correct you exactly, only add to what you were saying. I'm glad you brought them up. The flds are a bit near and dear to me since I live relatively close to them. I think seeing the groups of women with their long dresses and long hair was one of the first things that piqued my interest in long hair when I was still a little girl.

Vulpes
October 15th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Nope! And I'm a pantheist/pagan. I'm growing for myself towards unique self expression.

*waves* Nice to see another pagan on the boards. I love what you said about self-expression, too. I dig self-expression :cool:

Beborani
October 15th, 2014, 12:20 PM
I don't wish to be a spokesperson for hindus but there is a belief that it is inauspicious for married women to cut their hair. This taboo is getting lifted as more and more adult married women cut and style their hair.

tokugawa.miyako
October 15th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Oh, don't be sorry. I wasn't trying to correct you exactly, only add to what you were saying. I'm glad you brought them up. The flds are a bit near and dear to me since I live relatively close to them. I think seeing the groups of women with their long dresses and long hair was one of the first things that piqued my interest in long hair when I was still a little girl.

It's cool! :)

I distinctly remember reading something about FLDS women once and how important their long hair is to them. I don't remember what it was, but I always tend to think of them when I think of long hair for religious reasons. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
October 15th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I am Pentecostal but my church does not require any particular length or style of hair. We believe that being in Christ brings freedom rather than living by rules and laws. By freedom, I mean freedom from being enslaved by sin - NOT freedom TO sin...

I just grow my hair long because I love it that way. The maximum length I have seen in my church would be BSL, so I certainly have the longest hair there. I wear it up though so nobody knows how long it is.

brickworld13
October 15th, 2014, 01:50 PM
*waves* Nice to see another pagan on the boards. I love what you said about self-expression, too. I dig self-expression :cool:

Actually there is a whole thread of pagans. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=105731

I'm not entirely sure what my reasons are for growing mine long. I don't feel like myself with short hair so for me it's a way of growing into myself.

MsPharaohMoan
October 15th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Lots of nos here… I definitely grow my hair as a symbol of rejecting my self-harming tendencies and believe this to have a part in my spirituality. I am still discovering and defining my spirituality, but this I know so far.

gnome82
October 15th, 2014, 03:12 PM
No. My spirituality is not tied to any religion.

ARG
October 15th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Yes and no. I am a Christian, but I don't think any where in the Bible does it say how long is long, and as we know very well on The LHC, "long" is subjective. I do believe my hair is given to me for a covering, so shaving my head or cutting incredibly short is not something I would ever do for this reason. And I do cover my hair during church. I do trim my hair, and my hair has been between chin/shoulder length most of my life. APL was the longest it had every been.

I have had comments from close family members on the length of my hair making me look either a) like a home school mom, or b) overly religious. My response to both comments has been "So?".

Aurum
October 15th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Atheist here, so just growing for me. :)

ghost
October 15th, 2014, 11:21 PM
I'm Norse pagan, and I'm certainly not required to have long hair but I do feel like it fits into my spirituality nicely. Long hair can represent wisdom, and sometimes I have the feeling that the gods approve.
Still, if I were to wake up in a week or two and decide that I was over long hair and wanted a bob, I would get it. Nothing requires me to keep my hair long except that I want to :)

inanna
October 15th, 2014, 11:29 PM
I'm agnostic, so no religious reasons to speak of. For a while it bothered me that I might get mistaken for a member of the most common Lutheran subgroup in Finland, but now that I think of it who cares.

I grow my hair because I like the way it feels against my back, creeping ever downwards. My reasons are definitely tactile rather than visual or spiritual. I have to admit that going slightly against the societal norm of what an active young woman's hair should look like - dyed, styled and polished - is an added bonus.

Shepherdess
October 16th, 2014, 12:38 AM
I am messianic, so in part my desire for long hair is tied to my beliefs. A woman's long hair was considered a glory to her in certain biblical scripture passages. There is also the Nazarite vow in Torah as well, which is when someone makes a vow to Elohim, and for however long they have made that vow for, they will not cut their hair and let it grow out long. As in the story of Samson in the account of Judges, he never had cut his hair before and it was also tied to his great strength; in the story when his hair was cut he lost his powerful strength. There are also some biblical passages showing how people took care of their hair, such as anointing their hair with oil. So I think that my religious beliefs have influenced my desire for long hair, though there is not a specific passage in scriptures (that I know of) describing how long is long for hair, and I love very very long hair. So in part it has to do with my beliefs and in part that I think long hair is beautiful. :)

TheBlondieDream
October 16th, 2014, 01:54 AM
While I want to grow my hair for aesthetic reasons, I am pagan and I would love to look like the Goddess I so adore! Long hair makes me feel more feminine and more connected to that Goddess energy.
Yeah, totally the same aaaand i'm sosososo happy to find so many other pagans on the boat here!

Yozhik
October 16th, 2014, 03:15 AM
Athiest here, so no.

I enjoy my long hair because it is unusual and I like the aesthetics of braids and updos.

However, recently I visited a Russian Orthodox friend of mine, and I learned more about hair-cutting as related to mourning. A close family member of hers recently died, and she announced that after she observes the 100 days, she will cut her classic+ hair to shoulder length. It is beautiful, so I am sad she is doing it, but I understand her motivations for doing so, and thus outwardly marking her grief.

Theobroma
October 16th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Roman Catholic here, but nope, no explicitly religious reasons for why I keep my hair long. I've never come across anyone in my faith who construes anything in the Bible as a requirement for women to have long hair. Even some (not all) of the most traditionally-minded RC women I know are shorties. I keep mine long because I like it that way, period.

iluvbooks
October 16th, 2014, 03:48 AM
No, and I hate it when people assume I'm religious because I have long hair.

Omg this. Totally agree.

Knifegill
October 16th, 2014, 04:57 AM
I always envied the mennonite girls and their butt-length hair and giant buns.

I'm christian but am growing my hair to annoy a coworker. And I think all bronies ought to have manes, it just stands to reason.

Vulpes
October 16th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Actually there is a whole thread of pagans. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=105731

I'm not entirely sure what my reasons are for growing mine long. I don't feel like myself with short hair so for me it's a way of growing into myself.

Yay! Thank you for giving me this goldmine. :flowers: I am still navigating the boards... there is just so much content.

Ditto on not feeling like yourself with short hair. When I had a bob, it was just the worst.

floorlonghair
October 16th, 2014, 05:04 PM
I used to but not anymore

I totally lost my hearing this summer

I have never been able to speak

my family is now atheist

gustavonut
October 16th, 2014, 05:42 PM
The only "religion" I can think of is the american natives. The men grew their hair out for honor and only cut it if someone died:/ something bad happened. I'm not completely sure with this, but I heard it somewhere.

I guess you could say I'm growing it religiously. My religion is my hair.

gustavonut
October 16th, 2014, 05:43 PM
I always envied the mennonite girls and their butt-length hair and giant buns.

I'm christian but am growing my hair to annoy a coworker. And I think all bronies ought to have manes, it just stands to reason.

Eek...I'm scared.

jacqueline101
October 16th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I'm not to sure if my church has rules on hair. The older ladies have poodle perms and the guys have cuts. The younger women have bsl hair. They style it as they please.

Caraid♫
October 16th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I'm catholic. Though some of my reasons for long hair feel spiritual in nature, its in no way tied to my religion (a lot of my spirituality falls outside of "catholicism" or any teaching belonging to any one religion or belief in a god.
The more I grow my hair, the more I feel like it's an extension of myself (not just my physical self but representing my inner self if that makes sense). However, I realize that's a bit hypocritical; let me tell ya, I don't let my leg hairs grow as an "extension of myself" for example! So of course not all my reasons for long hair are spiritual or anything, I've got a good mix of vanity/ aesthetic preference mixed in there ;)

Aeris
October 16th, 2014, 06:44 PM
No, but I have a feeling that the part of me that loves long hair is probably the same part that is so attracted to nature and paganism.

Atira
October 16th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I'm a Christ-follower, but it's not connected to my hair. I simply feel more "natural" and just more "me" with long hair.

Vijikanth
October 18th, 2014, 02:11 AM
Mostly in India, Brahmin community men shave the front part of their head and wear their hair very long at the back from crown. They wear their hair in a topknot
Also south indians grow their hair long for any prayer to get fulfilled and once done. But sad part is they tonsure their hair once the prayer is fulfilled..
The priests of Tamil nadu mostly wear their hair long

floorlonghair
October 18th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Pentecostal was my religion for many years
my mom has 11 foot hair my dad has 7 foot hair I have floor long hair
we all love our 60 inch waists

Stormynights
October 18th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Pentecostal was my religion for many years
my mom has 11 foot hair my dad has 7 foot hair I have floor long hair
we all love our 60 inch waists
How does your mother wear her hair?

TheCurlyMermaid
November 27th, 2017, 02:00 PM

Exactly the same reason here. I don't see it as a requirement, just something I aspire to and see as a journey that will likely carry lessons of its own, ie. self-care, patience, gentleness, strength (to not bleach, cut or use heat), and loving yourself in your natural form! :blossom:

Dark40
November 27th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Yep, I'm letting my hair grow for religious reasons. I'm also letting it grow out because I really love long hair. I always have loved long hair since childhood. I think the Baptist religion that has beliefs about growing out long hair, and not cutting it. My grandmother is Baptist, and she always believed in keeping and growing out her hair long. She has never cut her hair as long as I've known here, and she's 104 years old. Now, my mom told me that when she was a lot younger in her 30s and 40s she would cut it but after that she stopped cutting it.

lapushka
November 27th, 2017, 02:34 PM
I've been here all this time and never answered this question. No, not for religious reasons at all. Just for practical reasons mostly, and because I've always liked long hair on me.

Cg
November 27th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Yep, I'm letting my hair grow for religious reasons. I'm also letting it grow out because I really love long hair. I always have loved long hair since childhood. I think the Baptist religion that has beliefs about growing out long hair, and not cutting it. My grandmother is Baptist, and she always believed in keeping and growing out her hair long. She has never cut her hair as long as I've known here, and she's 104 years old. Now, my mom told me that when she was a lot younger in her 30s and 40s she would cut it but after that she stopped cutting it.

That's interesting. I know a lot of Baptists with short hair and have never heard this about them. Perhaps it depends on where you live?

Dark40
November 28th, 2017, 03:46 PM
That's interesting. I know a lot of Baptists with short hair and have never heard this about them. Perhaps it depends on where you live?

Yes, it is interesting! Yeah, I also know a lot of Baptist with short hair too. It also depends on which generation you were born in too. I live in the USA, and is also from the USA.