PDA

View Full Version : Shedding Distress :(

irishlady
October 14th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Hi everyone!

I haven't been around much lately, but I do lurk haha. Hope you're all doing well.

My hair is currently halfway between APL and BSL. I enjoy long hair, however I am getting increasingly worried about it, and an awful sense of deja vu :(

You see, in 2011, my hair was in mostly good health, and was between BSL and waist. However, I noticed excessive shedding with slight thinning on the sides and crown. I don't have very thick hair to begin with, so this made it even more noticeable.

It seems to be happening again, and I'm getting really upset. There is hair everywhere (in the drain, lots of strands when running my fingers through my hair, combing, on my pillow, my clothes) I'm often covered in loose strands :(

I am going to get blood tests done soon to see the cause of the problem, however, I am really upset with the lack of thickness in my hair.

My dilemma is, do I do as I did before, and cut it shorter (it's much less noticeable) to a longish bob, do I just maintain as is now, or do I leave it be and just wear it up all the time while hating it?

I am so upset, as I enjoy long hair, but my health just doesn't let me like it and makes me miserable.

Any advice ladies and gents? It'd be great if any of you had/have the same issue.

Thanks!

PS. It isn't stress or traction, as I never wear it up tightly, and it varies all the time regarding stress.

Clarkie
October 14th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I think getting some blood work done is a good idea but try not to freak out too much. It is shedding season after all. I (and many others) seem to shed much more in the spring and fall. There is a thread with more info about seasonal shedding on here somewhere....sorry my computer skills suck otherwise I'd link it for you. It's called "Is it seasonal shed time now?" and it's under the Mane Forum.
I just keep my hair up as much as possible and try not to manipulate it too much. Hopefully in your case it's nothing serious and will resolve itself. I always tend to notice tons of regrowth after a shed.

xsweetpotatox
October 14th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I'd go for something in between those two options once you're certain it is actually thinning. Could you cut it back to APL for awhile and just maintain it there until the shed stops?

dulce
October 14th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I also have tons of shedding the last month but it is due to stress and health related problems.I cut from past hip back to waist and now use a coloured eyeshadow pressed powder applied with a small brush to fill in any new scalp cleaveage.I refuse to cut shorter[unless I end up with chemo ]but that doesn't appear likely.Hope yours gets better.

Mirrimblackfox
October 14th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Blood work is a good idea, have them check you for thyroid levels, hormone levels, and vitamins. Consider taking a good multi-vitamin anyway (because not having a vitamin deficiency, and having optimal nutrition are two very different things), and maybe a Biotin supplement?

Get as much sleep as possible (many people cryonicly under-sleep, which is a stressor). Also getting plenty of protein in your diet (and enough fat) are very important for hair health (as well as overall health). Oily fish, red meat, eggs, bone stocks, and a verity of fruits and veggies are a good place to start.

I know it's hard, but try not to stress about it, being stressed will just make it harder on you. If you would feel better about your appearance if you cut it to APL then do so, if not then don't :P Really do what would make you feel happy and relaxed.

Best of Luck

fiğrildi
October 15th, 2014, 01:15 AM
It's shed time now. Wait until you get your blood results, but try not to worry about it. If you're stressing over shedding, you'll shed even more.
I would not cut; if you feel very self-conscious of your hair, try to wear updos more often.

I've been shedding a lot these days, like every autumn, and that's completely normal. The other day, my sister told me that she was shedding like crazy, she was quite scared, and she was very relieved to hear that I shed the same as her. Try to think about the falling leaves, hair is doing just the same thing :flower:

http://www.morroccomethod.com/blog/3-ways-to-prevent-excess-hair-shedding-in-autumn/

irishlady
October 15th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks so much everyone! It did cross my mind that it's shedding season, however I have struggled with hormonal problems a lot in the past, and I ALWAYS shed like crazy, I don't seem to really go by seasons. I'm not going to cut my hair, I just really don't want to lose the length.

It can't be vitamins, I've discussed that with my GP already, and I am taking a multi-vitamin and Biotin.

It can only be hormones or nothing.

Thanks all.

spidermom
October 15th, 2014, 10:52 AM
As to whether or not you should cut your hair - do what makes you feel the best about your appearance.

irishlady
October 15th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks Spidermom!
That's the thing, I look alright either way really.

This is going to seem very nerdy (but aren't we all nerds on the inside anyway?) , but what concerns me the most about cutting my hair is whether or not shoulder lengthish hair can still look elven. I want to look like a fairy/elf. Teehee!

Vulpes
October 15th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I think shoulder lengthish can definitely still look elven! It all about the braids, baby. ;)

swearnsue
October 15th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Here are things that cause me to shed.
1. Putting conditioner on my scalp. It's OK once in a while for just a few seconds, but for some reason conditioner just makes my hair slip out of my scalp. I can't do the SMT thing.
2. Take too much selenium. I can't eat Brazil nuts, take a selenium supplement and Centrum Silver on the same day. Way too much selenium. I will eat only one Brazil nut every few days. I only take Centrum Silver about 3 days a week.

One last thing. It gives my hair and my spirit a little boost when I do a 1/4 inch trim. Might be better than a larger chop.

irishlady
October 15th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Thanks ladies!
I'm going to maintain at APL for a while, until I get my test results.
Swearnsue, that's interesting about conditioner. I'm considering giving up using it all together, as my hair always looks terrible with conditioner, regardless of cones/no-cones, rinsing time etc. I'll see if that helps, and just stick to coconut oil on the ends and length. Thanks all!

moontree
October 15th, 2014, 04:25 PM
irishlady, good luck with your shedding, I am experiencing a huge shed right now too and am partway between shoulder and APL. (I want elfy hair too!) I don't condish my hair except for the very ends every once in a while and even then oiling them after a shower makes em softer anyway... but maintaining at APL sounds like a good compromise to me.

irishlady
October 16th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Thank you so much everyone, I feel more optimistic about my hair today. I got a small trim, and am going to maintain the length at APL for a while, just focusing on keeping it as healthy as possible. :)