PDA

View Full Version : Newbie advice

lapushka
October 14th, 2014, 04:05 PM
If you have advice for newbies, be it tips, links, whathaveyou, post it here.

I just came across this video, which gives a few basic tips on how to treat wet hair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK8f4LwtzrI

Madora
October 14th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Nifty idea, lapushka! Here's one of mine I (I have a few others, so newbies, let me know if you wish to see the others):
Hair tips (based on my own experience of more than 40 years):
Be patient.
Less is more. Don't overload your hair with products!
Not everything works for everybody!
Use gentle shampoos
Stay far away from: blow fryers/straighteners/hot curlers/bleach/backcombing/teasing/Brazilian blowouts
Eat sensibly! Exercise moderately. Drink water.

The best thing you can do for your hair:
wear it up to protect it
detangle it gently with a wide tooth comb (every day)
brush it daily with a pure boar bristle brush (no nylon or rubber!)

learn new hairstyles to keep from being bored

ponytails are not hair friendly. Avoid them!

Weekly S and Ding are beneficial for keeping white dots and split ends in check. Use SHARP shears!

Don't obsess on how fast (or not) your hair is growing! That'll drive you bonkers.

Mineral oil (baby oil), used sparingly (2 drops) is great for detangling, taming frizzies, and helping with moisture. You place the drops in your palms, rub it all over the hands, then draw your hands through your hair until the oil sheen has just about vanished from your palms. It is very lightweight, leaves no after scent, washes out in the next shampoo, and is dead cheap.

Always detangle with a WIDE TOOTH COMB! Never detangle with a brush!
Detangle from the ends of the hair, then up the strands, little by little, until you reach the roots.
Daily gentle scalp massage in the bent at the waist position is a great way to stimulate your follicles for a boost in hair growth.

A silk pillowcase cover - or sleeping cap - is a great way to protect your hair while sleeping.

Of course there are a lot more pointers! Check out threads on The Mane Forum

lapushka
October 18th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Another quite useful video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOreaTQbbLI

lapushka
October 18th, 2014, 09:03 AM
How to wash properly (bent at the waist):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwnlC12W8vk

Madora
October 18th, 2014, 09:04 AM
LHC long hair Heidi W demonstrates how to oil your hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

My written tut on how to air dry your hair gently and quickly ("Fanning the Strands"):

Hair should be completely detangled and slightly damp before starting. The more water you can express from your strands, the faster the air drying will be.

Part your hair from nape to center of forehead so that it is in two sections. Band off one section with a scrunchie to keep it separate from the other section.

Take a pencil thin size sliver of hair in your hand.
Bring your hand up to your ear and then extend it all the way out (to the side)
Slowly let the strands drop to the floor

Take another pencil thin section and repeat steps 1-3

Repeat with the rest of the hair. Keep repeating the hair fanning motions until the hair is dry.

Once you notice that the hair is becoming drier, you can take larger portions of the hair, but use a wide tooth comb in place of your hand. Go slowly and gently when using the comb.

When hair is dry, band off the section with a scrunchie to keep it out of the way. Repeat the hair fanning procedure with hair in the other section.

When finished, you can leave hair as is, or apply your favorite oil, etc. and style as desired.

The technique was developed by me after years of having to wait forever for my very thick, long hair to dry (using the hair laying on a towel down the back approach). It took forever and I wanted a faster method.

Outside, my hair dries in 20 to 25 minutes. Indoors it takes about 45 minutes, using a portable electric heater (standing about 4 feet away).

The secret to drying your hair quickly is to thoroughly detangle it when you start, and to keep the air circulating through it as you fan the strands.

jacqueline101
October 18th, 2014, 09:48 AM
My tidbit is to wear a satin sleep cap or tail bag. Tail bag see my blogs for details. Anyways if you don't oils try serums and conditioning is your friend. Patients is something you will need tons of hair is a work of progress.

Entangled
October 18th, 2014, 10:56 AM
What works for somebody else might not work for you. Pay attention to how your hair and scalp react, and if what you're doing doesn't work, move on.

(BBBs are not the answer for everybody; 3s and 4s have more problems than 1s and 2s.)

lapushka
October 18th, 2014, 03:48 PM
What works for somebody else might not work for you. Pay attention to how your hair and scalp react, and if what you're doing doesn't work, move on.

(BBBs are not the answer for everybody; 3s and 4s have more problems than 1s and 2s.)

I'm a 2 and a BBB is not for me either! I agree with the advice that not everything works for everybody. You have to fine-tune to your own needs. I have a Tangle Teezer instead of a BBB, it's been with me for years, and I have *zero* damage in my hair. I love that comb to bits.

Entangled
October 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Yes, I love my Tangle Teezer. Using a bbb causes problems. (It's the upside down part--it ends up making my hair matted.) I'm a one!

ETA: I finally understand BBBing! I found a video tutorial on a different thread that showed me what I'm doing wrong. I knew it shouldn't have been as bad as it was with my 1b/c hair.

Still like the TT, though.