PDA

View Full Version : Exercise thread again!!

mamaherrera
October 14th, 2014, 01:23 PM
I've read all these threads about what do you do with your hair while running/exercising. But they are old threads, so if I ask someone about what they did, they tell me it's changed or whatever. so I want to know. . . what are you doing now when you execise?? I have tried everything and I hate to feel pulls once I'm in my run. BUt I try to pin with magic grip pins my braided bun, nope, it's pulling somewhere, and it's loose. I hate to do updos too tight because I don't want to pull on my hairs at the part, but I know I need to do it tight enough that things don't come undone while running. I need some wonderful and EASY ideas that could work for running and floorwork/abs as I want to be able to transition. And while we're on this: what do you all think about a bun secured with a jaw clip on both sides, while running, is it damaging, or working??? Thanks!

arr
October 14th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Honestly the only thing that works for me is a dutch or french braid. I like the dutch better, i can get it more secure. Yes the braid will swing around and bounce around and look shreddy by the time im done, but it is extremely comfortable, nothing pulls, and i can easily go from standing exercise to floor exercise with no problem. My hair is hip length and fairly thick but the braid still doesnt bother me at all.

Zebra Fish
October 14th, 2014, 02:11 PM
After lots of tries and variations, I'm running (and other) with a cinnabun secured with two clawclips (one at 3 and other at 9 o'clock). Guess if you have a bigger bun, you can use more. I haven't noticed any damage from that. I tried few types of braid, stick, ficcare, pineapple bun (not sure if it is its official name, bun on top of your head, secured with some kind of elastic), and dunno what else...

mamaherrera
October 14th, 2014, 02:51 PM
That's exactly what I've been doing, it's fast. Glad to know you haven't noticed any damage!!!

After lots of tries and variations, I'm running (and other) with a cinnabun secured with two clawclips (one at 3 and other at 9 o'clock). Guess if you have a bigger bun, you can use more. I haven't noticed any damage from that. I tried few types of braid, stick, ficcare, pineapple bun (not sure if it is its official name, bun on top of your head, secured with some kind of elastic), and dunno what else...

gthlvrmx
October 14th, 2014, 03:09 PM
A nautilus bun held with spin pins worked for me and i went running and did bench exercises and that bun didn't work! I recommend using spin pins! They really work for exercising :)

mamaherrera
October 14th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I did use spin pins today!! I tried to imagine, what they heck do they do to the hair as you spin them in, they don't cause snarles and breakage, right? But when I would lean my head back, something pulled, so I just untorqued them and re-positioned them, and it seemed to work, the good thing is that it's easy and fast to untorque them. Any tricks on getting the spin pins right the first time so that they don't pull on hairs when you do lay on the bench?? And obviously you put the bun high, no?

Squiggy
October 14th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Honestly the only thing that works for me is a dutch or french braid. I like the dutch better, i can get it more secure. Yes the braid will swing around and bounce around and look shreddy by the time im done, but it is extremely comfortable, nothing pulls, and i can easily go from standing exercise to floor exercise with no problem. My hair is hip length and fairly thick but the braid still doesnt bother me at all.

I second the dutch braid! A braided ponytail will work too, but it can get heavy and uncomfortable with thick hair, especially on a long run. Dutch braid doesn't pull, and yeah, it looks pretty bad when I'm done running, but it's exercise - who really cares how I look?

xsweetpotatox
October 14th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I do a side braid whenever I workout. Everything else gets in the way for me.

browneyedsusan
October 15th, 2014, 05:48 AM
I make a ponytail on top of my head with an elastic, and twist it into a topknot with spin pins. My hair is very slippy, but it holds if I twist the pins into the knot and catch the elastic. I prefer a topknot because it is balanced and out of the way if I lay on my back for benching or calisthenics. :)

dezibela
October 15th, 2014, 08:36 AM
A random twisted top knot held with 2 large claw clips. I look like a crazy woman.

Beckstar
October 15th, 2014, 09:14 AM
A topknot or midway bun held in place with a flexi8.

mamaherrera
October 15th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Really?? With a flexi?? I still haven't gotten good with those yet!! But I think I will rotate between side braids (easy), french braids, and the bun with jaw clips. I'm struggling with the ficcare, and wondering if I should have gotten a large. Good ideas, thanks for sharing! I just hate when I do a french braid, and then halfway through the day it starts pulling somewhere within the braid. I don't know why that happens!

Beckstar
October 15th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Yes, with a flexi. :) 2.5 years ago my hair was hip length and that's how I wore it a lot when going to the gym. It held fairly well.

peacecat3
October 15th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I bicycle commute every day, and I generally wear my hair either braided or in a segmented/banded ponytail at the nape. My hair is . . . past waist, but not classic yet, so . . . tailbone? Hip? Whatever. And I always wear a bandanna over the top, to keep sweat out of my eyes and to control my whispies around my temples/ears/nape. Sometimes I get pulls with a segmented ponytail if I'm not careful when I put on the elastics, but a basic braid always works.

mamaherrera
October 15th, 2014, 11:26 PM
For the rest of you who use spin pins or two large claw clips to hold a bun, I don't do mine super tight, so is it normal/not damaging that when I"m running/doing aerobics, that bun is jumping right along with me?? The claw clips or spin pins aren't pulling on hairs as my bun flops about?? Just want to know, or should I do it tighter to my head? I find that if I stick the clips or pins closer to my scalp, then my scalp gets sore, so that's why I keep things lose. Just wonderin. . .. .

browneyedsusan
October 16th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Since I put the thing on top, it doesn't move a whole lot. I put mine in tighter, though. Flopping around hair gets on my nerves, and I hate exercising as it is! Since I'm only at exercise class for an hour, my hair is up like that for 2 hours, tops. I take it down after, massage my scalp, and rinse it out when I shower. (I know lots of people leave their hair to dry out, but I can't stand it.) I don't wear it up like that every time. Sometimes it's in a braid or twin braids, but I don't like them flopping around. I tried twin, low buns last time, but bonked into them when I lay on the weight bench. Topknot is my favorite. Spin pins hold really nice, and the ponytail holder keeps everything secure.

Night_Kitten
October 16th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I do a regular braid, then fold it a couple of times to form a "clump" low on the back of the head / neck, and secure it with a soft but reliable hair-tie (usually a scrunchie or a thick hair-tie that can hold it securely)... So far that's the most comfortable and secure style I found for working out - no sticks, pins or other things that can slide out or pull...

Skade
October 16th, 2014, 01:38 PM
When I work out (which is almost every day) I usually have my hair in a braided bun, nautilus or french braid.

mamaherrera
October 16th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I did the side braid today, but so annoying. I always do side braids, and today, . . . I think I twisted my neck from having it like that all day. Who knows why. It's not cuz I have lots of hair, no it's not the heaviness, but rather I think I'm trying to maintain a bad posture, having this "thing" my hair, on one side of my neck/shoulder all day. Anyone else get this?? Always something. . . . .

Kelikea
October 16th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I do a tight ponytail, tightly bunned, and held with two claw clips or linzi clips. It has to be tight, or else it is bouncing and pulling more and giving me a headache. I bounce a lot, either running, or circuit training/aerobics with high intensity, sometimes even trampoline. Anything loose will eventually fall out. I don't really worry about the damage, because I think it would get just as much from bouncing and falling. Braids are out because they are too long and rub too much. My hair is just past Classic.

mamaherrera
October 16th, 2014, 07:08 PM
well mine bounced a lot, but didn't give me a headache, but I agree, damage from a tight bun/jaw clipped or a loose bun/jaw clipped (like me) is probably the same, I figure the jaw clip bounces right along with the hair, so it's not like it's pulling it against the tide, but. . . . we can't avoid damage completely! BTW: Where do you do your circuit training/aerobics?

Kelikea
October 16th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I do a lot of exercise dvds at home (circuit--think 30 Day Shred/Firm type stuff-- and aerobics, as well as yoga, Pilates, and Tracy Anderson), weight training, some circuits, and treadmill at school; running outside. I would not be able to handle my bun bouncing against my head for an hour, no thank you!