PDA

View Full Version : Help - My dandruff is back

aforestfae
October 14th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I briefly got rid of my dandruff but now it's back and not going away.
Me, my dad and my brother all have problems with a flaky scalp and the only thing that seems to help is head and shoulders.
I used head and shoulders for months and then decided to take a break from it and use new shampoos from lush (fairly traded honey and seanik) but now my dry flaky scalp is back and I've started using head and shoulders again but it's not working as it used to.
I'm sick of using head and shoulders as I love trying new shampoos for the scent but it was the only thing that helped before, even if it doesn't seem to be helping now.
I comb my hair once a day if that, I detangle after washing and only apply shampoo to my scalp, I massage it in well and rinse as well as I can (my hair is quite thick so I could be missing some if I don't really rinse it)
I don't brush my scalp so I don't know if that would help to remove the dead skin or whatever this is.
I have tried using a boar bristle brush but it just seems to make the flaking worse, it takes too much brushing to get rid of enough of it, the more I brush the more my scalp flakes.
Any suggestions, experience with a similar issue or advice?
Thank you

Alien Girl
October 14th, 2014, 02:38 PM
You may have a dry scalp. My boyfriend gets dandruff (his hair is about lower chest length) and he makes sure to wash out all the shampoo very well, but still gets dandruff from stress and dryness. Make sure you drink plenty of water and maybe look into doing hot oil treatments on your hair and scalp.

lapushka
October 14th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Maybe it's worse than just a flaky scalp (like seborrheic dermatitis). You never know. I'd get some Nizoral. It's good for flakes and itchies and in the US you can get it over the counter in a low concentration.

Panth
October 15th, 2014, 01:13 AM
Have you ever had it formally diagnosed? You'll have a much better idea of exactly what the problem is and how to treat it if you get a formal diagnosis. There are lots and lots of scalp conditions that superficially have similar symptoms (dandruff, itchies) but that require very different treatments. Indeed, quite often the treatments for one can make others worse (e.g. moisturising emollients for scalp eczema will exacerbate seborrheic dermatitis). Hence, diagnosis is key.

With correct treatment (only possible after diagnosis) you can both treat the problem and prevent its recurrence. This is very, very important as many scalp conditions are, if left to get bad, associated with quite considerable shedding.

We had a great big discussion about how to distinguish seborrheic dermatitis from a dry scalp on this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126893), though of course a proper doctor's diagnosis is best.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 15th, 2014, 01:47 AM
Speaking from experience, some cases of dandruff are seasonal. For example, i hardly ever produce any flakes during warm summer months. As soon as the leaves start falling on the ground, my skin also starts falling on my shoulders :rolleyes:

Also, i inherited this problem from my dad. Obviously the same goes for you. This kind of genetic stuff cannot be cured, only managed. I suggest some scalp oilings (you might wanna slip a few drops of tea tree oil or peppermint oil for antifungal action and good feelings) or use some cortisone shampoo like lapushka said. Scritching your scalp with the pads of your fingers or a gentle brush like tangle teezer would help to get rid of the flakes.

aforestfae
October 15th, 2014, 02:12 AM
Thank you :)
I am currently trying out oiling my scalp with almond oil and combing it through with my detangling brush to see if that does anything, I don't comb enough so I don't know if that's making it worse.
For my dad coconut oiling seemed to help him so hopefully it's the same for me.
If oiling and head and shoulders do nothing then I'll make an appointment with my doctor.
I'm just tired of using head and shoulders when I have some really lovely shampoos I want to use

Panth
October 15th, 2014, 03:21 AM
Thank you :)
I am currently trying out oiling my scalp with almond oil and combing it through with my detangling brush to see if that does anything, I don't comb enough so I don't know if that's making it worse.
For my dad coconut oiling seemed to help him so hopefully it's the same for me.
If oiling and head and shoulders do nothing then I'll make an appointment with my doctor.
I'm just tired of using head and shoulders when I have some really lovely shampoos I want to use

Do be careful with the oil. It can be very beneficial for true "dry scalp" conditions, e.g. eczema, but will actively exacerbate anything that has a yeast infection component as the yeast will eat the oil and grow even bigger colonies on your scalp. Yeast infection-based scalp conditions are best treated with proper pharmacy/prescription antifungals, e.g. 2% ketoconazole shampoo (Nizoral).

fiğrildi
October 15th, 2014, 06:17 AM
I had an awful time in my teenage years, dealing with dandruff. This shampoo was the only thing that helped me with that (T-Gel from Neutrogena): http://www.neutrogena.com/category/hair/t-gel-.do

It is expensive, but it did wonders for me. I suspect Head and Shoulders is not doing any good for your scalp :wink:

idiay
October 15th, 2014, 08:56 AM
I know that feel :( I've had dandruff since I can remember and it just won't go away no matter what I do.

dottodot
October 15th, 2014, 11:30 PM
I second Lapushka's suggestion for Nizoral. It works wonders. Definitely try another anti-drandruff shampoo if Head and Shoulders isn't working for you anymore. Pay attention to what your scalp does and doesn't like. If it only gets worse with trial and error of different shampoos, contact a doctor and see if it is more serious scalp issue. I definitely relate to struggle with scalp problems. Hope you find some relief!

Jorja
October 16th, 2014, 03:29 AM
How about if you just wash your scalp with Head and Shoulders, and your length with your lovely scented shampoos?

I've tried CO washing, but eventually the scalp wins and I have to go back to Head and Shoulders. So I now do CWC = happy scalp, soft hair :)

iluvbooks
October 16th, 2014, 03:51 AM
I rub Aloe Vera on my dandruff and it goes away.

Panth
October 16th, 2014, 07:50 AM
How about if you just wash your scalp with Head and Shoulders, and your length with your lovely scented shampoos?

But you shouldn't need to wash your length anyway... unless you're a farmer or a mechanic or something and actually get it dirty (as opposed to just... exist with it on your head). Shampoo is for scalp. Conditioner is for hair.

Jorja
October 16th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Forestfae needs the Head and Shoulders, but misses the scented shampoo, I just thought it was a compromise :shrug:

aforestfae
October 16th, 2014, 12:08 PM

I've tried CO washing, but eventually the scalp wins and I have to go back to Head and Shoulders. So I now do CWC = happy scalp, soft hair :)

I've been considering doing this, seems like the only way unless I wash my scalp/hair twice which might just make the dandruff worse and it's not too time friendly.
I don't think mixing two shampoos would work either...
I have a lot of shampoo that I need to use up but they make my scalp worse

aforestfae
October 16th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I rub Aloe Vera on my dandruff and it goes away.

What kind of aloe vera? I've never heard of that before so might be worth trying :)