PDA

View Full Version : Anemia

Rebecka
October 14th, 2014, 12:29 PM
(Sorry if there is some other thread)

So I was at the doctor today and they told me my blood count is 85, which isn't good. The thing is i haven't really noticed before, only that i'm constantly cold as ice (but i mean, i live in Sweden). Not much shedding or anything. Just that my hair grows really slowly and I have weak nails.

Got iron pills atleast, anyone who wants to share their experiences with anemia? Will my hair grow in twice the speed now with iron pills? :eyebrows:

Kyla
October 14th, 2014, 12:35 PM
I developed anemia last year, and my hair actually grew faster during the same time period. I highly doubt it had anything to do with being anemic though, correlation doesn't equal causation and all that. Your hair growth might increase, but there are so many factors in growth that I wouldn't expect it.

The only thing I notice about anemia when I have it is being a little colder and more tired than usual. Symptoms range a lot depending on the severity and a person's general health.

In2wishin
October 14th, 2014, 01:23 PM
I am not sure what a blood count of 85 correlates to. Last December I had a hemoglobin of 5.3 (normal for women is 12-16) and a ferritin of 3 (normal is anywhere from 10-204). I was put in the hospital and received 4 units of blood and 1 unit of IV iron. My symptoms were being constantly fatigued and I was out of breath very easily. I also had bad swelling in the lower legs and feet. I have been on high potency iron for 8 months now and really haven't noticed any difference in my hair, good or bad. I do feel good now and my last blood test put my hemoglobin at 13.8

meteor
October 14th, 2014, 02:52 PM
The thing is i haven't really noticed before, only that i'm constantly cold as ice (but i mean, i live in Sweden). Not much shedding or anything. Just that my hair grows really slowly and I have weak nails.

I've had the exact same experiences (except for living in Sweden) with anemia.

I'd recommend combining foods rich in both heme and non-heme iron, so from both animal and plant sources, cooking organ meats (esp. liver) with plants rich in vitamin C (e.g. bell peppers), because vitamin C increases absorption of iron. Use iron skillets for cooking as much as you can. Avoid caffeine-rich drinks/foods close to your meals, because caffeine inhibits absorption of iron. Above all, continue regularly drinking your iron pills with orange juice or vitamin C and do blood tests again when the doctor asks you to (usually within 3 months after starting the pills.) Make sure you know not only your hemoglobin but also ferritin numbers.
Best of luck to you, Rebecka! :D I hope you'll get that anemia under control soon! :D

Madora
October 14th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I had to be hospitalized and given several transfusions for anemia several years ago. It was a pretty near thing. Mine was due to a very poor diet (not enough meat). Now I'm on a certain dosage of iron (and other supplements that the doctor ordered) and eating more meat.

I also have Reynaud's disease (and other things associated with it) and wonder if perhaps your coldness could be due to it. My Reynaud's doesn't take much to get going...temps below 60, stress. My feet turn a nasty pasty color and the blood flow to my fingers is rotten for short periods of time. In really cold weather my fingers hurt like hell and sting like pins are being driven into them.

As you can imagine, I do my best to stay warm and try and avoid RD. You might want to have your physican check you out for Reynaud's Disease.

Wishing you all the best! (ps. I didn't even know I had anemia. The only way I discovered that I did was that when I walked just half a block from home, I ended up wheezing like a Kentucky Derby winner at the end of the Derby. Lungs screaming for air. That prompted my visit to the emergency room).

hufflepug
October 14th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I take iron for anemia (though my doctor said my anemia is slight). It may be in my head, but I feel like I shed less when I'm taking the pills. I don't think it effects the growth speed at all though.

Rebecka
October 15th, 2014, 01:48 AM
I developed anemia last year, and my hair actually grew faster during the same time period. I highly doubt it had anything to do with being anemic though, correlation doesn't equal causation and all that. Your hair growth might increase, but there are so many factors in growth that I wouldn't expect it.

The only thing I notice about anemia when I have it is being a little colder and more tired than usual. Symptoms range a lot depending on the severity and a person's general health.
Yes, interesting that it grew faster though. Maybe it's not affected at all by anemia.

I am not sure what a blood count of 85 correlates to. Last December I had a hemoglobin of 5.3 (normal for women is 12-16) and a ferritin of 3 (normal is anywhere from 10-204). I was put in the hospital and received 4 units of blood and 1 unit of IV iron. My symptoms were being constantly fatigued and I was out of breath very easily. I also had bad swelling in the lower legs and feet. I have been on high potency iron for 8 months now and really haven't noticed any difference in my hair, good or bad. I do feel good now and my last blood test put my hemoglobin at 13.8
Blood count is how many grams hemoglobin per litre blood. It's as high blood count as many cancer patients have (but i'm pretty sure it's not in my case). Seems you had the same but a lot worse, they maybe measure different in different countries. Sounds really bad what you had, and I'm glad it's better now!

I've had the exact same experiences (except for living in Sweden) with anemia.

I'd recommend combining foods rich in both heme and non-heme iron, so from both animal and plant sources, cooking organ meats (esp. liver) with plants rich in vitamin C (e.g. bell peppers), because vitamin C increases absorption of iron. Use iron skillets for cooking as much as you can. Avoid caffeine-rich drinks/foods close to your meals, because caffeine inhibits absorption of iron. Above all, continue regularly drinking your iron pills with orange juice or vitamin C and do blood tests again when the doctor asks you to (usually within 3 months after starting the pills.) Make sure you know not only your hemoglobin but also ferritin numbers.
Best of luck to you, Rebecka! :D I hope you'll get that anemia under control soon! :D
Hi, thank you! I even have to go there next week to check. Except that i drink too much coffee :whistle: i've done all the things you said. I've even taken from my moms iron suppliments when I've been really cold (didn't know they were as strong :O), she's had anemia for long parts of her life and few things help.

I had to be hospitalized and given several transfusions for anemia several years ago. It was a pretty near thing. Mine was due to a very poor diet (not enough meat). Now I'm on a certain dosage of iron (and other supplements that the doctor ordered) and eating more meat.

I also have Reynaud's disease (and other things associated with it) and wonder if perhaps your coldness could be due to it. My Reynaud's doesn't take much to get going...temps below 60, stress. My feet turn a nasty pasty color and the blood flow to my fingers is rotten for short periods of time. In really cold weather my fingers hurt like hell and sting like pins are being driven into them.

As you can imagine, I do my best to stay warm and try and avoid RD. You might want to have your physican check you out for Reynaud's Disease.

Wishing you all the best! (ps. I didn't even know I had anemia. The only way I discovered that I did was that when I walked just half a block from home, I ended up wheezing like a Kentucky Derby winner at the end of the Derby. Lungs screaming for air. That prompted my visit to the emergency room).
Wow, sounds like it was very bad for you. But i don't get a cold body, i just feel cold. Thank you, hope it keeps getting better for you to!

I take iron for anemia (though my doctor said my anemia is slight). It may be in my head, but I feel like I shed less when I'm taking the pills. I don't think it effects the growth speed at all though.
Glad you shed less atleast :)

In2wishin
October 15th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Blood count is how many grams hemoglobin per litre blood. It's as high blood count as many cancer patients have (but i'm pretty sure it's not in my case). Seems you had the same but a lot worse, they maybe measure different in different countries. Sounds really bad what you had, and I'm glad it's better now!

I looked it up and in the US it is recorded as grams in a deciliter so my 5.3 would be recorded in Sweden as 53 and your 85 would have been recorded in the US as 8.5. Not low enough to need transfusions but definitely too low. I am glad you are receiving treatment. I hope the high potency iron helps. Do your doctors know why you are low iron? I have always been borderline (I gave blood a lot but got turned down about half the time because my hemoglobin was just below the cutoff) but my low blood count was actually caused by intermittent bleeding in the stomach which was so little I never saw any blood in the stool. My diet was so poor that my body could not recover and make more blood after losing some so I spiralled downward until I could not even walk up a flight of stairs without having to sit down until I stopped panting and my heart stopped pounding.

Cania
October 15th, 2014, 08:36 AM
I'm anemic and didn't find taking supplements improved my hair at all.

I had breathlessness, heart palpitations, dizziness and chronic severe mouth ulcers. Glad to be rid of that, sod the hair! :laugh:
Take your iron pills with orange juice, makes them easier to digest... and be prepared for a funny tummy for a while :)

brickworld13
October 15th, 2014, 09:47 AM
I was anemic for a time a couple years ago. I had a little trouble with the iron supplements. On an empty stomach it was a no go all around. I didn't figure out the juice trick for a while, and even with that I still have to take them with some food because my stomach is sensitive.

In2wishin
October 15th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I was anemic for a time a couple years ago. I had a little trouble with the iron supplements. On an empty stomach it was a no go all around. I didn't figure out the juice trick for a while, and even with that I still have to take them with some food because my stomach is sensitive.

I always take mine with food too. Just make sure you are not taking them with dairy because that will slow down or even prevent absorption. I am on omeprazole (prescription prilosec) for the stomach erosion and I have to take it at least four hours after I take my iron (and the other meds I am on) because acid blockers will also prevent the absorption of many other meds and supplements.

In2wishin
October 15th, 2014, 09:53 AM

I always take mine with food too. Just make sure you are not taking them with dairy because that will slow down or even prevent absorption. I am on omeprazole (prescription prilosec) for the stomach erosion and I have to take it at least four hours after I take my iron (and the other meds I am on) because acid blockers will also prevent the absorption of many other meds and supplements.

brickworld13
October 15th, 2014, 10:06 AM

Thank you for the tips. That explains why my mom has so much trouble with them. Stomach ulcers and nutrient absorption issues all across the board makes it so difficult for her.

meteor
October 15th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Yes, iron pills can be taken with food. My doctor said that ideally iron pills should be taken just with vitamin C and lots of water (so orange juice is good) for best absorption, but if you get upset stomach, just take iron with food, making sure you are not consuming dairy and coffee/tea around that time. :)
Also, some forms of iron are easier on the stomach than others, so ask your doctor to prescribe another form of iron if your stomach isn't happy.

Cania
October 15th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Yes, spatone sachets are excellent! ^_^

Rebecka
October 16th, 2014, 02:43 AM
I looked it up and in the US it is recorded as grams in a deciliter so my 5.3 would be recorded in Sweden as 53 and your 85 would have been recorded in the US as 8.5. Not low enough to need transfusions but definitely too low. I am glad you are receiving treatment. I hope the high potency iron helps. Do your doctors know why you are low iron? I have always been borderline (I gave blood a lot but got turned down about half the time because my hemoglobin was just below the cutoff) but my low blood count was actually caused by intermittent bleeding in the stomach which was so little I never saw any blood in the stool. My diet was so poor that my body could not recover and make more blood after losing some so I spiralled downward until I could not even walk up a flight of stairs without having to sit down until I stopped panting and my heart stopped pounding.
Sounds like yours was really serious. In my case i think i just don't absorb the iron from food, think it's genetic.

I'm anemic and didn't find taking supplements improved my hair at all.

I had breathlessness, heart palpitations, dizziness and chronic severe mouth ulcers. Glad to be rid of that, sod the hair! :laugh:
Take your iron pills with orange juice, makes them easier to digest... and be prepared for a funny tummy for a while :)
Glad its better now! And good tips :)

I do to, tried to take one after i just ate a banana, even that was to much for me.

That doesnt sound fun, hope it will get better!

Yes, iron pills can be taken with food. My doctor said that ideally iron pills should be taken just with vitamin C and lots of water (so orange juice is good) for best absorption, but if you get upset stomach, just take iron with food, making sure you are not consuming dairy and coffee/tea around that time. :)
Also, some forms of iron are easier on the stomach than others, so ask your doctor to prescribe another form of iron if your stomach isn't happy.
It's so hard to cut down on coffe and tea :( I was down on two cups of coffee per day a while ago, seems i should try again. :(