PDA

View Full Version : Do you have grey hairs?

idiay
October 14th, 2014, 03:10 AM
How old are you? How old were you when you started getting grey hairs?

My head started getting grey hairs since I was 15, lol.

Wosie
October 14th, 2014, 03:13 AM
I noticed my first grey hair this year and I think I've seen another one since (...it might've been the same one). :) The hairs were about... 4-5 inches long, so they had been around for a while before I noticed 'em! I haven't seen them for a while either, they're good at hiding. :p

Hotrox
October 14th, 2014, 03:24 AM
Yep, I'm probably about 5% grey. They started coming in about 3 year ago and i've just turned 36. I do highlights to blend taken into my dark brown hair.

hennalonghair
October 14th, 2014, 03:25 AM
Yes! I've got a 20% grey hair that mostly at the front hairline.
I started going grey in my late thirties early forties. My brother starting going grey in his teens and is completely grey now. He's only 3 years older than me but looks at least 10 to 15 years older. Lol!
I've got two siblings and neither of us had similar hair. We all have completely different hair.
My SIL also had grey hair when she was a teenager and is 90% grey now but I've gotta admit that she covers them up quite well. She's 10 years younger than me.
I'm 54

YGDW
October 14th, 2014, 03:39 AM
I got my first white hairs when I was about 15 years old. I'm now 27, and about 25% grey I think (I henna my hair). When it'll be almost completely white, I'll grow out my henna. Hopefully that'll be soon. I love fully white long hair on women!

idiay
October 14th, 2014, 03:40 AM
You guys are lucky :p Haha!
I kind of want to cover them but I don't want to use dye (or anything) on my head. Guess I'll have to live with it.

mamaherrera
October 14th, 2014, 03:41 AM
gosh I love this thread, I always feel like the only 34 year old woman on this planet with grey hair, mostly at the hairline/temples/above ears. It sucks. I love my henna, but i hate the fact that my hair curls up and opens in all directions and I see my sparklies in the mirror. My daughter always points the one at my hairline out to me everywhere we go. I started at 28, but it's sped up a lot after my baby was born (8 months ago). Mine don't hide and my friend who doesn't dye is older than me, 41 and has like 40 white hairs (she says) but you never see a single one on her head even when she has all her hair combed back into a pony. Why mine don't hide is beyond me, I have lots of scalp cleavage as my hair goes in clumps, so that's why I think. Not fun! Good to know 'I'm not the only one dealing with this!

idiay
October 14th, 2014, 03:43 AM
YGDW: I'm 23, and I think I have like 10-15% :0
And I agree, fully white hair looks so pretty!

idiay
October 14th, 2014, 03:50 AM
Hahaha! I knowww... I have random grey hair strands and they seem to always find a way to show and I just can't hide them. :mad:

hennalonghair
October 14th, 2014, 04:50 AM
I got my first white hairs when I was about 15 years old. I'm now 27, and about 25% grey I think (I henna my hair). When it'll be almost completely white, I'll grow out my henna. Hopefully that'll be soon. I love fully white long hair on women!

These are my plans also. Once I get over I certain percentage of grey, I'll stop using henna, do a major chop and start growing grey silver hair. It does look very attractive I agree.

hennalonghair
October 14th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Double post

embee
October 14th, 2014, 05:32 AM
I got my first gray hair when I was in school, maybe about 20 years old. Then nothing until about 60 when I began to really see the front temples were pale when my hair was fresh washed. Otherwise they barely show and I'm over 70. I could have been happy with silver white like my grandfather, but nooooo, nothing like that for me. Oh well.

Agnes Hannah
October 14th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Hi I can't remember when I had my first greys, I guess probably in my 20's. Today I have salt and pepper on my canopy and white underneath, pure white like platinum. Unfortunately, I have used hair dye to cover them and am now having problems deciding what to do. I had used dark brown,which is now on the last 5 inches of length, and have tried to go lighter gradually. Now I'm almost blonde, certainly very light brown on top. I want to try and blend the two colours together in such a way that I can colour less and less to let the greys come through naturally.
I'm now 48.

purplevickie
October 14th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Yes, lots considering I'm in my early 30s! I dye every six weeks, but am probably about 30% grey now, maybe more. Fortunately it's mostly on the under-layers, though I have developed a few twinkling away at my temples in the last year or so.

I absolutely love how fully grey/silver hair looks on others, but I really feel too young to go grey. My mum went grey quite early so has had salt and pepper hair as long as I can remember (mostly salt now!) and I'm not overly keen on that look... especially as my hair and eyebrows are very dark, so it's a big contrast.

I intend to carry on dying my hair for a very long time yet!

fiğrildi
October 14th, 2014, 06:36 AM
I have never spotted one, but I have some white-blonde hairs naturally, so they could be hiding from my sight :p
Anyway, my parents didn't start greying until they were 40-something almost 50. I wish I could have naturally silver hair, that's the most beautiful hair colour!!

Madora
October 14th, 2014, 06:49 AM
I think the grey hair started somewhere about age 50 (I'm 68). Mostly hair at the temples. The majority of my hair is still dark chocolate brown (with a tinge of red):
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/72212Vortexfishtails_edited-2.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/72212Vortexfishtails_edited-2.jpg.html)

swords & roses
October 14th, 2014, 06:57 AM
I'm 27, and just found my first two white hairs! :happydance: (Ok, DH pointed them out, as they're smack dab on the top of my head, lol, but still!) I swear I'm the only 20-something who's excited to find white hairs! :lol: 1. Because I'm a doctor, so maybe as my hair turns, the businessmen in the networking groups I go to (all a generation or more older than me) might start believing I actually know what I'm doing. ;) And 2. Because I LOVE women with a headful of white or gray hair! Granted, no one in my family has ever gone more than salt & pepper, and more pepper than salt, at that. But a girl can dream!

My mom started getting grays at 14. My dad started going bald at 13. I think he started going gray after having two daughters. ;)

swords & roses
October 14th, 2014, 06:58 AM
I think the grey hair started somewhere about age 50 (I'm 68). Mostly hair at the temples. The majority of my hair is still dark chocolate brown (with a tinge of red):
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/72212Vortexfishtails_edited-2.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/72212Vortexfishtails_edited-2.jpg.html)

:crush: I love your hair!

Olavi
October 14th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Nope, but I'm only 23 so not very surprising. And If I take after my parent's, it's going to take at least 20 years, before my first greys. I hope I will take more after my mother, she's 53 and had just started to get her greys last two years. Or should I say, her whites :D

But no matter what shades of grey and when, I will embrace them when they come.

jupiterinleo
October 14th, 2014, 07:06 AM
I made a post in a similar thread about how, based on my mom's genes, I probably won't gray until much later in life.
However, I actually just found a gray hair the other day! A single hair, white from the top 1/3 of the hair. I'm 23.

StellaKatherine
October 14th, 2014, 07:23 AM
I will soon be 33 and I have no grays yet. Honestly I have no idea when will they come. My mom got her first grays at my age, but they came suddenly over night ( literally ) when my grandmother died. Then for years nothing happend, now she is 50 and realy starting to get some grays. Though her hair is dark chocolate brown, so grays are very easy to see while mine maybe slightly harder ? I truely love how grays look. I am huge fan of Crystawni's hair. Her defined silver stripes are gorgeous!!! :crush:

purplevickie
October 14th, 2014, 07:49 AM
I'm really surprised by how late some of you started going grey! I was 17 when I found my first grey (I remember it clearly... I was quite hungover and it was basically the most traumatising thing ever!) and I've been gaining greys steadily ever since. Most of my friends of a similar age (32/33) have quite a few greys now, too.

I would absolutely love a grey Morticia stripe... I've always thought when I'm older I might just do that and keep dying the rest.

Robot Ninja
October 14th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I found my first grey hairs at 24, incidentally right after my daughter was born, although while I was pregnant I stopped dyeing my hair for the first time in eight years, so I might have had them before and just not noticed.

I'm 36 and now I have a lot, especially at the temples.

mamaherrera
October 14th, 2014, 01:24 PM
This has been a great thread for me, to know there are others my age that really have white hairs too. I know my temples will be the first to go as my sister is totally almost white now at her temples/above ears, but she didn't start until like 42, so it's not looking good for me. Hopefully if I calm down a bit (not stress) they will calm down too!! For you other ladies who dye and have dark hair, how long until the roots start bugging you??

Robot Ninja
October 14th, 2014, 01:32 PM
For you other ladies who dye and have dark hair, how long until the roots start bugging you??

Two weeks, and then I stop wearing half-ups because the roots at the sides become too obvious. I redye my roots every month or so, sometimes sooner.

amanda_the_tall
October 14th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I was 15 when I found my first patch of silver hairs... I remember it was after going to the dentist I noticed it in the rear view mirror of my car! Haha. My dad has a lot of gray/silver hairs, more than his dad ever had (weird) so I will probably be 50% silver/gray by the time I'm in my 40s most likely. I used to dye them but now I don't care and am letting them do whatever. They do like to stick out from the rest of my hair, a lot of them are shorter.

woodswanderer
October 14th, 2014, 01:33 PM
No grey hairs, but I have some white hairs. I think I started getting them in my mid-late 20s. Luckily, they are hanging out on the underside of the hair at my temples and they rarely come up to the surface....so far.

mamaherrera
October 14th, 2014, 01:59 PM
You blonds have it so easy!!! They blend in much better! Yes, I find at two weeks, mine are sparkling to others if they look close, after a week, they sparkle at me in the mirror and I've found no root-touch up (temp) that works, and I"ve tried everything, the mascara wands, crayons, sprays, you name it, they color my scalp nicely and the white hair is still saying "hello" to me. So you all that dye once a month, just change your updos then after two weeks?

cathair
October 14th, 2014, 02:05 PM
No grey hairs, but I have some white hairs. I think I started getting them in my mid-late 20s. Luckily, they are hanging out on the underside of the hair at my temples and they rarely come up to the surface....so far.

I'm not sure that grey hair exist, I think they just look grey when white mixes with other colours?

I was also 15 when I got my first one. Have 4 or 5 streaks now. I have completely pure white streaks by my ears now. I quite like them, but I wish they were somewhere cooler like Rags' streaks are. My hair from ears and down is starting to look steel coloured over all in sunlight. The top still looks brown, but there are a lot of single white hairs mixed in there. I guess my hair looks 5 - 10% white when I braid it now, maybe more.

mamaherrera
October 15th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Another question for you all. Have any of you noticed that with the "whites" your overall hair color lightened up a bit?

Scarlet_Heart
October 15th, 2014, 07:39 AM
I also found my first one around 15. Fortunately, it really held off for a long time in advancing. I'm 30 and now am just starting to notice teeny streaks. It's a little scary but kind of neat at the same time. I had a friend one time say, "Oh! I see a gray hair! Want me to yank it out?!" I said, "Don't you dare! I've earned every single one of those!" :P

The gray hairs I find are shimmery. I'm not sure if they'll look more white, silver, or gray as they become more numerous. But I do not notice an overall lightening of my hair. It's been a consistently medium ash (super ash, almost looks purple in certain light) for years.

Paranda Belle
October 15th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Got my first one age 18. Ten years later I have a few, enough to be noticeable and annoy me greatly. I hate the shorter ones which stick out and on black hair it can be really obvious. I have one that goes all the way to the ends, but it likes to hide sometimes.

Think I take after my Dad. He's been going grey since he was 21 and he still isn't quite fully grey yet. His grandmother (my great grandmother) never went grey, had floor length hair and never shed either. Wish I had her genes (apart from the going blind ones)

If anyone gives me grief about them, I say they aren't greys, they are hair glitter!

Beckstar
October 15th, 2014, 09:10 AM
I started getting grey at 21 years old. Now I'm 39 years old and close to being half grey. I color every 4-6 weeks.

PixxieStix
October 15th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Oh dear, well, I'm a redhead, but I've had some grey hairs all my life, two from early childhood that was always fun to try and find when braiding. I'm now 27, but unsure how many grey hairs I currently have because I henna my hair because I like the more vibrant red color on me. :)

LadyLongLocks
October 15th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Yes, I have lots of them now. I like to call them silver. I think I saw my first one about 8 years ago.They blend in pretty well with my blonde. I will never hide them by coloring my hair...I like them! I look forward to being silver haired someday.

Trin
October 15th, 2014, 10:16 AM
I found my first one when my parents went off to Paris for a week, and I was stuck babysitting my little brother (who liked to party and drink). I was 21.. and to this day I still blame him for it XD

Honestly, I like my silver hairs, I wish more would grow in, they take a braid wave better, and are stronger and thicker, although not that coarse still.

Agnes Hannah
October 15th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Another question for you all. Have any of you noticed that with the "whites" your overall hair color lightened up a bit?
Yes. This is why I am dyeing it lighter brown/dark blonde, to try and blend it all in. Wish I hadn't though as the platinum hairs are quite pretty. Its just the change in colour is quite dramatic for me. I'm thinking of putting in some darker brown streaks

hufflepug
October 15th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I also started graying in my early 20s. I'm 34 now (35 this weekend :) ) and I have what feels like a lot, all in my temples. It's probably less than 5% total, but it seems like any new growth I get is white hairs. I recently started using henna to help blend them in.

mamaherrera
October 15th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Wow so 34-ish is the age when they start coming in faster. ANd I know, mine "OVERALL" is a small amount, but because they are mostly concentrated in the sides of my head/temples, it looks like in that area, it's a lot!! And yes I swear, that my hair has lightened, but it's hard to tell because different lighting changes, but I have a bad feeling I'm losing melanin all over in my hair. Ususally for me, my darker hairs are "thicker" so I"m hoping this "lighter color" of hair doesn't mean thinner strands as well. But before I had darker hair than my daughter and now she's darker than me, but she's also going through puberty so maybe her hair is darkening.

But bravo to those of you who embrace and like them. Bravo to those who are getting them, but at a slow rate. I hope my rate slows down, so I can say "yeah I started at 28, but didn't get to 5% until I was like 50". Wishful thinking no!!! Thanks for sharing you all!

betterhairday
October 20th, 2014, 07:48 AM

My head started getting grey hairs since I was 15, lol.

23 and now 60+ completely grey and never dyed it. The more you worry about them the faster they seem to appear. I gave up as soon as my first kid was born, in 1973. Keep your hair in good condition.

Amapola
October 20th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I got my first "grey hairs" from a scar on my head. When I was 12 one of my cousins bashed me in the head with a brick... :p

Since I already had this streak from the scar I never paid attention. It was always hard to notice anyway - my hair is super fine, and so are the hairs, and the "grey" ones are actually clear, so you can't see them well. I'm nearly 60 now. I certainly have grey hairs but no one will believe me when I say so, because they are so hard to see. My mother has pure white hair and has had it for a long time, but her hair color has always been much lighter than mine so I doubt I'll get that, although I wish I would... I think it's really strikingly beautiful. She thinks it is "too flashy" and dyes it!!

My MIL had jet-black hair but hers had turned pure white by the time she was 30 (much to her disgust). She never liked her hair but I thought it was beautiful. She keeps it trimmed to about an inch long.

mica
October 20th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I noticed the firsts ones when I was about 18, then last year I got a bunch of them all of a sudden due to stress, but I haven't noticed an increase of greys ever since. Even though I have auburn hair I've always had blonde-ish strands, so that helps them blend in a little, but I don't know what I'll do when they get more prominent, maybe henna. I feel like I will be more confident to rock my greys when I hit 40, if I'm like my mother I should be 80% silver by then!

Amapola, I didn't know you could get grey hairs from a scar! One of my friends from primary school had a streak of white hair ever since I knew him, but I don't think I ever asked him where that came from.

Charybdis
October 20th, 2014, 12:05 PM
I found my first grey hair at 21, but their advance has been very slow, and I'm still less than 1% grey. However, the ones I have are fairly visible as they are coming in around my hairline (especially above my ears), and scattered around the top of my head. I stopped dying my dark brown hair to dark auburn a few years ago when I decided to grow past shoulder length. The white hairs coming in also played a part in that, as I don't want to end up as an elderly lady with red hair and white roots. (Given how incredibly dye-resistant my white hairs are, I probably didn't need to worry, but I have a horror of white roots with a stark demarcation line against darker dyed lengths.)

My "grey" hairs are bright silver-white and glittery, so the few I have do stand out a bit. The ones around my hairline give the overall impression of my hair being very slightly lighter, which I like.

As far as I can tell, the age and speed at which you go grey is pretty much genetically programmed, although stress seems to accelerate it a bit in some people. I got my first grey hairs on the same timetable as my mother, but am greying much more slowly, like my father's family. My sister still has zero grey hairs at 33, so she seems to take after my father's mother (who was half Native American).

pixldust
October 20th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I saw what looked like a silver hair on my temple this morning, my first one! I had my fiance look at it too and he agreed that it was a silver. I was so excited, he looked at me like I'd completely lost my mind when I came bounding into the living room pointing wildly at my hair :D Since I'm committed to growing out virgin and not touching dye again, I'm going to let them be. I'm quite looking forward to my hair going silver.

LauraLongLocks
October 20th, 2014, 02:22 PM
At age 28, two grey hairs were discovered on my head as my husband picked lice out of my hair (first case of lice... thanks kids!). He didn't like picking lice out of my MBL hair. Next time I got lice (at age 31... thanks again, kids!), I cut my hair to a pixie so I could easily pick my own lice because husband said it would be the next day before he could do it for me. Husband then decided that picking my lice, if I ever get lice again, will be his chief most important duty. He married me with short hair, but loves it long. I am now 37 years old. I don't know if I have more than two grey hairs, because I never bother to look. So far, my hair seems to be its normal rich brunette with coppery highlights.

gthlvrmx
October 20th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Im 21 and the only white hairs i get are on my beard and moustache.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 20th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I'm 49 now and began getting grey hairs when I was 21. ( My father began going grey when he was 16). We go grey early in our family but live long lives, usually between 90 and 101. So I may get time to enjoy having pure glowing white hair like my mother and father.

I am just beginning the process of giving up the dyeing and my greys are beginning to show:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF6238.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF6186.jpg

mamaherrera
October 20th, 2014, 03:39 PM
MICA--how old are you now??? Just curious. I got a lot too this last year, so you gave me hope that maybe they will calm down. Especially if I quit worrying about them like someone before said. cuz I worry a lot, it's just cuz mine are so evident, because my hairs are thick, and I don't have many pores on my head, like high density, just normal, so they are obvious quickly!!

?
I noticed the firsts ones when I was about 18, then last year I got a bunch of them all of a sudden due to stress, but I haven't noticed an increase of greys ever since. Even though I have auburn hair I've always had blonde-ish strands, so that helps them blend in a little, but I don't know what I'll do when they get more prominent, maybe henna. I feel like I will be more confident to rock my greys when I hit 40, if I'm like my mother I should be 80% silver by then!

Amapola, I didn't know you could get grey hairs from a scar! One of my friends from primary school had a streak of white hair ever since I knew him, but I don't think I ever asked him where that came from.

mamaherrera
October 20th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Charybdis----Lucky you!!!! That is slow!! You will be my inspiration, but I NEED TO STRESS LESS!! I figure to myself, what's the point, they've started, even if I stress less, they'll keep coming. But obviously from others, if you stress less, they can slow down!! And yes I have one, JUST one, right at my temple hairline, it's so so obvious, cuz my hair is curly, so it curls up and out!! How fun! why is it that men get their white hairs often times just in bear and moustache, weird, huh?

Clarkie
October 20th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I started going gray in my mid 20s. I am now 49 and if I didn't colour my hair I would be salt and pepper gray all over.
While I admire those brave souls who are ready to embrace their gray, I am just not there yet. I colour my regrowth about every 6-8 weeks but since finding LHC I have stopped colouring the entire length.
I am quite pale and I think having gray hair wouldn't look very good on me. My Mom was the same, she had her hair coloured light brown until she passed away at 86.

mamaherrera
October 20th, 2014, 03:46 PM
for all of those who dye 4-6 weeks, (I do it way more often) how do you play with your hairstyles, to try and hide those roots, especially the ones around the ears and temples, any tips?? Because if I want to keep my hair pulled back, those roots are always exposed, so I don't know how you all do it 4-6 weeks, just wondering if you have any tips?

lapushka
October 20th, 2014, 04:01 PM
for all of those who dye 4-6 weeks, (I do it way more often) how do you play with your hairstyles, to try and hide those roots, especially the ones around the ears and temples, any tips?? Because if I want to keep my hair pulled back, those roots are always exposed, so I don't know how you all do it 4-6 weeks, just wondering if you have any tips?

My mom used to dye her hair red, a dark auburn. Then she started going gray and the roots when they came in looked awful. So she switched to a light blonde, a color where when roots come in it isn't that obvious at all. Now I know that isn't an option with black or darker brown hair, so... I think there's nothing you can really do, except dye more frequently, esp. in those areas.

mamaherrera
October 20th, 2014, 04:15 PM
yes I guess that 's me, or maybe slowly start lightening (dyeing) my overall color so it lightens up slowly! My prob is I use henna, so it is that red and black I'm dealing with.

lapushka
October 20th, 2014, 04:17 PM
yes I guess that 's me, or maybe slowly start lightening (dyeing) my overall color so it lightens up slowly! My prob is I use henna, so it is that red and black I'm dealing with.

Woops, no, no lightening that or it's going to turn green (indigo & bleach).

mamaherrera
October 20th, 2014, 04:22 PM
No I don't indigo, just henna, so eventually I'll want to put in some blonde highlights, I've heard henna and bleach can work, also henna and regular dye (I just want to lighten as much as possible without having to use bleach)!

Skade
October 20th, 2014, 04:23 PM
No grey hairs and 25 here.

chen bao jun
October 20th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Late bloomer. I got my first grey hair at age 29 and my next one at 39. I don't know what percentage grey I am now but its not much because people are continually shocked that I don't dye it yet . I'm 57.
My dad got to 70 and never was grey and his mother got to 91 and had noticeable grey beginning in her 80's. My mom started to grey at about age 50 and got a white skunk streak so she dyed it. I do have the most greys in the middle of my hair so maybe I will get a skunk streak too? No matter what happens, I will never dye, though. I am just an all natural person, quite lazy, I cannot imagine worrying about roots showing. Plus I am allergic to everything in the world, I'm sure I must be allergic to hair dye.
What percentage is this? 10%? 20%? Not sure. All pictures taken within last two weeks.
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/100_2947_zps8fb8c3d4.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/100_2947_zps8fb8c3d4.jpg.html)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/hairaug2014cropped_zpsfdb7799b.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/hairaug2014cropped_zpsfdb7799b.jpg.html)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/100_2949_zps64443ed6.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/100_2949_zps64443ed6.jpg.html)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/100_2906_zps551773e0.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/100_2906_zps551773e0.jpg.html)

chen bao jun
October 20th, 2014, 04:33 PM
You can see how the grey went down the far right side of my plait and is only visible there and completely vanished in my bun. Curlies will know why it looks all different lengths in photos taken within such a close time period.

mica
October 20th, 2014, 05:41 PM
MICA--how old are you now??? Just curious. I got a lot too this last year, so you gave me hope that maybe they will calm down. Especially if I quit worrying about them like someone before said. cuz I worry a lot, it's just cuz mine are so evident, because my hairs are thick, and I don't have many pores on my head, like high density, just normal, so they are obvious quickly!!

?

I'm 21! I definitely think they'll calm down, if you can afford to change the things in your life that are stressing you out. Last year I had 24 hrs worth of classes a week while working two part time jobs. I had been dealing with anxiety and depression and the later got so bad to the point where I stopped going to uni altogether for almost a month, I just couldn't get out of bed. Luckily that passed and I'm taking things easier now, which is showing in my overall sanity, health, and hair!

DreamSheep
October 20th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I'm only 21 - a day or two before my 20th birthday my best friend found a white hair, and I asked her to pull it out for inspection. Recently I spotted a very sparkly hair (it is hard to tell, because my "canopy" is very light, especially in the light - so I'm never sure if I'm seeing really light blonde or white), which was certainly a white, as the end of it was slightly darker in colour. This one I left in my head - haven't been able to find it since.

My father got his first greys at 18, and went bald early.
My mum is nearly 60 and has very little grey (her hair is way darker than mine though, so I'm sad to say I will probably be taking after my Dad).

Anyway, time will tell. :) I don't know if I would dye/henna, or keep it like that - probably depends on how fast I whiten up.
Studying at Oxford does mean I am probably going to be exposed to a lot of stress though - so I wouldn't be surprised if I got stripes :p

chen bao jun
October 20th, 2014, 06:18 PM
If stress gave you grey hair, I'd have been completely white years ago. It's genetics.

mamaherrera
October 20th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Good to know. . . . it's terrible every time I stress to think. . . .more white hairs. . . thanks!!

If stress gave you grey hair, I'd have been completely white years ago. It's genetics.

leilani
October 21st, 2014, 01:37 AM
My roots look gray because I'm growing out henna and all hair looks ashen gray next to henna.

Zindell
October 21st, 2014, 02:34 AM

I'm 47 and I found my first silver strand (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126296) last month!
After that I've actually spotted one or two more. (I guess since I'm really looking for them now).
I love them! So shiny and sparkly. They should make my ever darkening blonde turn to the lighter side again. :inlove:

Ingrid
October 21st, 2014, 03:28 AM
I've had 3 white hairs in the same spots since I was 7, so a little over a decade now. I may have had them earlier but I only noticed them when I was 7. Never really thought anything of them, and never felt like I had to colour or pluck them out. White hair is still hair! And I think they look alright with my ashy hair, and for the most part they're not that noticeable.

hanne jensen
October 22nd, 2014, 06:44 AM
My hair is slowly turning gray. I had my first 4 gray strands when I was 13 or 14. I leave my hair alone as I have worked hard for my grays.

getoffmyskittle
October 22nd, 2014, 06:47 AM
I started noticing my first around age 22. I think I have 3 or 4 now at age 25. I'm hoping I don't get more for a while.

browneyedsusan
October 22nd, 2014, 07:38 AM
:rollin:
Millions!

ukrworld
November 10th, 2014, 04:50 PM
gosh I love this thread, I always feel like the only 34 year old woman on this planet with grey hair, mostly at the hairline/temples/above ears. It sucks. I love my henna, but i hate the fact that my hair curls up and opens in all directions and I see my sparklies in the mirror. My daughter always points the one at my hairline out to me everywhere we go. I started at 28, but it's sped up a lot after my baby was born (8 months ago). Mine don't hide and my friend who doesn't dye is older than me, 41 and has like 40 white hairs (she says) but you never see a single one on her head even when she has all her hair combed back into a pony. Why mine don't hide is beyond me, I have lots of scalp cleavage as my hair goes in clumps, so that's why I think. Not fun! Good to know 'I'm not the only one dealing with this!
Started having greys at thirty, it's speeding up now. I have naturally dark hair, and they stick out and age me badly. While most women look great with some or all grey hair, I really don't like the way it looks on me, so I have been henndigoing to cover them up. The worst part is indigo doesn't even stick to grey, and they turn out orange! Just great.

NitaB
November 10th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I'm 21 and I noticed my first grey hair a week or so ago. It's just one, so it's not a big deal. I vowed myself to not dye my hair anymore so I don't think I will dye them when I start getting more

StephanieP3
November 10th, 2014, 07:39 PM
I don't know when I started seeing them but I am 28 now and I have quite a few up top. And it doesn't bother me. :)

hexomega
November 10th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Noticed my first one at 20 but I gain them at a rate of about one per every eighteen months, so it hasn't been too bad.

AlexDig
November 10th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Yup, about since 20 for me as well. Runs in the family, so I wasn't to surprised. I'm 26 now and they are multiplying fast I don't totally love it and since I henna anyways, they tend to get covered up.

HintOfMint
November 10th, 2014, 11:15 PM
I have one single gray hair that I've let grow out. I've wondered what I would do if I had more of them, but, knowing my personality, I'm far too lazy to do anything other than leave them alone. Henna or chemical dyes are messy, and salons are expensive. I'm also vain enough to think that a few gray hairs aren't going to make me less attractive.

edit: I'm 27 and I've had one or two gray hairs since college.

Adiro
November 10th, 2014, 11:19 PM
I am forty and I do have grays, a few, but mine are actually white. and too obvious, and I have young kids, and I don't want to show my age. So I colour my hair :)
gray is beautiful though, but when you can "assume" it.

Damarys
November 11th, 2014, 12:09 AM
I'm in my mid-30s and started getting grey hairs when I was in my early teens. Used to box dye my hair all the time because I was embarrassed about it.

veryhairyfairy
November 11th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I know I've had the rare silver hair since I was 20. It runs in the family; Mom is fully silver on top at 44, and older sister started to go silver in her early teens and is now probably 10% silver at 27.

I don't really know where I'm at right now because I henna my roots and I'm mostly blonde. I think my temples are at least 50% silver, though!

I henna because I was born to be a redhead, but I sometimes wish I could grow out natural just to have (what I imagine would be) awesome Rogue streaks of white!

Mountaingrrl
November 11th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I first noticed white hairs in my late 20s. I've used boxed dyes, henna and salon dyes since. I started growing long about four years ago, and have been gradually moving toward going natural. The tricky thing is that I don't want to do a big chop, so I'm getting white on top while much of the length is darker. Purple conditioner is helping to tone down the color gradation.

vivianne
November 11th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I have a few white hairs and i call them sparkle-hairs :-) They fit perfect in my natural colour. I have to learn to love growing older and my sparkels are good teacher :) my husband welcomes them. He encourages me to welcome them and to let my natural hair colour grow down! When i highlighted my hair i could not see the white sparkels, but with my ombre hair they are visible.
So - i try to embrace my sparkels that grow more and more!

eva888
November 11th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I got my first white hair this summer (when I was 25!). That's when I decided to stop dying my hair, though I was already thinking about it. I don't want to be battling roots and I'd like them to just come in as lovely highlights. I was a little terrified about my white hair at first but then I talked to my sister and my best friend about it (who have many more white hairs than me, both in their 20s) and they both laughed it off as nothing so that's the way I feel now (being a copy cat I guess :) My sister has light brown hair and she called them "highlights" and I like that idea very much!

BitterChocolate
November 11th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I have a couple strands (my guess is around 5), annoyingly all on the top front part of my hair, so quite visible. I'm 27. Not sure when it started though as I used to bleach my hair blonde until last year, didn't notice them until I decided to grow out my colour and I had a good few centimetres of regrowth. The clour doesn't bother me too much, but they do seem to be more dry an breakage prone than the rest, which makes me a bit sad.

MungoMania
November 11th, 2014, 02:08 PM
I don't have any grey hairs only because I color them. I got my first grey hairs at 29 or so but I don't tolerate them.

Yenn
November 11th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I had one silver hair since 16, now that I'm 22 I have 3 >.< I actually like them since I keep hoping that when I get older my hair will finally be more copper than burgundy when I dye it with henna ^_^

Mimha
November 12th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I had my very first white hairs at around 40, and I still have to examine carefully my canopy to find them out. I am now almost 50, and probably due to some genes on my father's side, I will never go white... or even silver. Anyway if I happen to turn silver, I will be pleased because I absolutely love some of the silver manes I see here ! My mother stopped dying her hair (upon my advice^^) some years ago, and she looks amazing with her silverish-white hair. :heartbeat

Johannah
November 12th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I found my first grey hair when I was 14 or so, lol.

mira-chan
November 12th, 2014, 11:18 AM
My first while hair appeared at 12. They've been slowly building a streak since then. They all come from about 1 square inch area on my scalp.

Rowdy
November 12th, 2014, 11:19 AM
I officially found one off center to the right last year. But I think I have seen that one there before! I just thought it was a blonde hair or something. I'm very excited! I hope I get my grandma's silver streak :)

rags
November 12th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I got my first silvers (mine actually ARE silver, not grey. They look metallic!) in my late teens, I'm not sure exactly when. I do know that by age 25 I had an inch wide streak framing my face, much like Rogue in X-men. Oh, and yes the rest of my hair gradually lightened as I got more silvers. The top of my head is quite silver now, but the length is not (I just got a huge crop of hairs turning silver about 2 years ago).

vivianne
November 12th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Rags, i like the way you decribe the prozess of silvering :-) My sparkle hairs are also of a white/silver typ and defenitly not gray!

vivianne
November 12th, 2014, 01:17 PM
... and i am really curios, if you like it, i m really interessted to see to see a picture of your lengths - maybe my hair will develop like yours?

Lis
November 20th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Yes, the Greta started very slowly but now they are really bringing their friends to the party. I have started adiudng find highlights as camouflage.

Lis
November 20th, 2014, 06:11 PM
The greys--not Greta!!

Bettina
November 20th, 2014, 07:52 PM
I'm 37 and don't have any greys. In order to fully relish this fact, I've decided to stop colouring/highlighting and am growing out my natural colour (ashy dark blonde/light brown).

Bettina
November 20th, 2014, 07:54 PM
The greys--not Greta!!

Ha ha, I LOVE the idea that your first grey hair is called Greta and she slowly invites all her friends to a party on your head!

Clarkie
November 20th, 2014, 08:13 PM
I remember being told not to pluck out a gray hair because 7 more would come to it's funeral. shudder:

elocin9911
November 22nd, 2014, 12:44 AM
I've had a few white strands of hair here and there ever since I was 16. Totally natural. Actually made me excited because it made me believe that I might have snow white hair when I'm older, just like my grandmother. She has the most beautiful shade of white hair-just gorgeous!

Ferngear
December 7th, 2014, 12:23 AM
I'm 34 (35 next month) and I've been going white (I refuse to call it grey) just above my temples for the last year. It really shows when I pull my hair up, but my crown and the rest of my mane is a medium brown with natural blonde/red glints here and there. They sort of sparkle in the light and I like to think they compliment the sterling silver jewelry I wear. My mother has lovely salt and pepper hair and people always ask her what she uses to get that color (as if it were dyed!). Anyone else secretly wish they had pure white hair as a kid? Right now I think they're looking like Bride of Frankenstein streaks.

Does anyone know the best way to care for whites/greys? I use a regular honey/conditioner soak already every two weeks or so... I don't want them to get dull or yellowed as I've read online (so it must be true!) that they can.