PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about dry shampoos?

Vaas
October 13th, 2014, 08:06 PM
I discovered them about 2 years ago when I decided to stop washing every day(big change!). My hair loves it, and dry shampoo gets me about 2 more days without the need to wash. I'm not entirely sure *why* I want to see how long I can go without washing, but why not? Saves money. :) I love dry shampoo!

Like it? Love it?

Nadine <3
October 13th, 2014, 08:10 PM
I love it but I make my own. 50/50 cocoa powder/cornstarch and a few drops of peppermint EO and I have a huge jar of peppermint chocolate scented dry shampoo.

idiay
October 13th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I didn't even know dry shampoo existed! :( Is it any good?

Madora
October 13th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Not a fan. If my hair needs washing, I don't try to extend the time it waits for the actual shampooing. Seems like wasted effort..but to each his own.

Vaas
October 13th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I love it but I make my own. 50/50 cocoa powder/cornstarch and a few drops of peppermint EO and I have a huge jar of peppermint chocolate scented dry shampoo.

Ahh yes. I've heard many people make their own, I may try this when I run out. How do you apply it?

Vaas
October 13th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Not a fan. If my hair needs washing, I don't try to extend the time it waits for the actual shampooing. Seems like wasted effort..but to each his own.

I hear you! I only use it when my roots are greasy but the rest is fine. THEN it is my best friend!

hufflepug
October 13th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I use Batiste. I like it a lot, especially on the very rare occasion that I straighten my hair. I hate to use heat on my hair, it's so prone to dryness as it is... so when I do, I want to stretch it as long as I can before washing. I've been using it a bit more often lately because I'm trying to stretch my washes to one full week.

Vaas
October 13th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I didn't even know dry shampoo existed! :( Is it any good?

I love the stuff personally, for quick pick me ups if you don't have time to washing and air drying.

Vaas
October 13th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I use Batiste. I like it a lot, especially on the very rare occasion that I straighten my hair. I hate to use heat on my hair, it's so prone to dryness as it is... so when I do, I want to stretch it as long as I can before washing. I've been using it a bit more often lately because I'm trying to stretch my washes to one full week.

Yes, I quite like the stuff. I didn't like the smell of Batiste, although I'm smell-sensitive.

kelseyxface
October 13th, 2014, 09:14 PM
can't live without it! my hair is fine so it accumulates grease pretty quick. I'd be lost with out it. Although, can any one suggest any dry shampoos for me? I've been using lush brand dry shampoo and baby powder as of late and I'm really not happy with either any more. ): I need a new brand!

Jennwith4
October 13th, 2014, 09:15 PM
I like using mine. I do the same as Nadine, 50/50 CP and CS. I usually need it on my roots only by day 3 or 4.

Larki
October 13th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I adore my dry shampoo. The spray ones never worked for me, they made my hair feel gross and didn't change the appearance at all, but I've been using one from Etsy for about a month that smells like vanilla cupcakes and it works AMAZINGLY. It's instant, makes my hair look like I just got out of the shower and have freshly washed hair. It doesn't change the feel/texture of my hair in any way, makes my hair feel perfectly clean as well!

I shake it into my hand and use a foundation brush to apply it to my scalp and bangs and rub it into my hair, then rub it through with my fingers and comb through, then (if needed) brush with my BBB.

turtlelover
October 13th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I love the stuff for my bangs, but don't really like the texture it gives if I use it all over. For slightly greasy, droopy bangs it is a lifesaver.

Nadine <3
October 13th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Ahh yes. I've heard many people make their own, I may try this when I run out. How do you apply it?

I just grab a bit from my jar and smoosh it into the areas that need it. Rub it around a bit and brush it though with my BBB :)

hypersensitive
October 13th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I use it when I don't have time to do a full wash. Usually it's just my bangs that look greasy anyway so I just use it there. The Batiste one is so so. I like it because they make a brown one that looks better than plain cornstarch to match my hair color. It totally refreshes my hair to make it look like my bangs were never greasy in the first place. I don't like how it gives it this weird voluminous texture. Plus when I scratch my scalp, there is brown residue from the dry shampoo. It's not a must have product for me but it's convienent.

kitana97
October 13th, 2014, 11:36 PM
i <3 dry dampoo. Nightblooming's dry shampoo to be exact. Hers is the only one I've found that actually works. I have it in right now, or I put it in my greasy hair yesterday and my hair is still fine tonight :)

TheHowlingWolf
October 14th, 2014, 12:08 AM
I've never tried dry shampoo before & I'm kind of nervous about it! I've been stretching washes for a long time now but my hair still hasn't adjusted. It's greasy the 2nd day despite me only washing it 1x a week for months now. I work from home but am going to (try to) get a better job, & I know I can't be walking in there with greasy hair! I'm afraid it will just make my scalp feel gross and clogged?

ETA: Also, if a dry shampoo has baking soda in it, will it affect the ph balance of the scalp? Some of the dry shampoos I've looked at have baking soda.

Panth
October 14th, 2014, 12:33 AM
I've never tried dry shampoo before & I'm kind of nervous about it! I've been stretching washes for a long time now but my hair still hasn't adjusted. It's greasy the 2nd day despite me only washing it 1x a week for months now. I work from home but am going to (try to) get a better job, & I know I can't be walking in there with greasy hair! I'm afraid it will just make my scalp feel gross and clogged?

ETA: Also, if a dry shampoo has baking soda in it, will it affect the ph balance of the scalp? Some of the dry shampoos I've looked at have baking soda.

If stretching washes isn't working for you, even after months, then ... maybe it just isn't for you. Not everyone can stretch washes. It's only recommended because so few people who practice regular Western haircare have ever tried washing once a week or less and because for those it does work for it's great.

Re. baking soda, I'd not use it myself. It's possible that the other ingredients in the dry shampoo could balance out the pH, but I'd personally not want to risk the possibility that the formulation as a whole was not a good pH for scalp/skin/hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 14th, 2014, 02:44 AM
I don't like it, myself. I tried it and though it made my hair look cleaner around the root areas, it just felt like my hair was full of gunk - even after I brushed it out. I get a much better result from daily inverted brushing with a clean BBB. It stops my hair from looking greasy at all in the first place.

dogzdinner
October 14th, 2014, 03:02 AM
I dont use it now coz I can usually go 5-7 days between washing anyways but I have in the past. One year I kept getting bad vertigo and couldnt move my head much (without falling over or throwing up!) and dry shampoo was a real miracle worker!

Katis
October 14th, 2014, 03:07 AM
I use it sometimes when my hair is getting greasy but I really don't feel like washing it. It normally gives me another day before I have to wash it out.

hennalonghair
October 14th, 2014, 03:37 AM
Never use them. If my hair looks that dirty and I don't have time to wash it ill just whip it into a bun and only was the bangs.
Dry shampoo just isn't something I want to put in my hair.

JustPam
October 14th, 2014, 04:02 AM
I haven't used a canned dry shampoo in ages, I switched to talcum powder in a bid to reduce my aerosol use. It is a lifesaver for me, like this morning I woke up and my hair was an oil slick after washing only 2 nights ago. I work in a hospital so I can't go to work with greasy looking hair, even if it is all scraped up, so not having the time to wash it in the morning I powder it.

hayley27c
October 14th, 2014, 05:41 AM
I love dry shampoo! I started using it a few years ago to inadvertently stretch out my washes. I got so lazy with washing my hair that I would use dry shampoo instead and eventually got it so I only washed my hair once a fortnight. Great for camping and festivals too!

momschicklets
October 14th, 2014, 05:58 AM

I don't like it either :( First off, they are usually so heavily fragranced that it makes me sick :p And second, dry shampoo tends to make my hair feel gunky, and then it attracts every little dirt particle known to man like a magnet and I feel like it ends up feeling dirtier. I tried 2 or 3 brands and gave up.

schnibbles
October 14th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I've never liked it. But maybe I need to make my own or try Nightblooming's. Usually I just put dirty hair up in a bun and pretend like everything's fine. :lala:

YGDW
October 14th, 2014, 07:53 AM
I have some former layers that often fall out of my buns. I tend to dry shampoo these at day 5 or something. Just a little bit to remove the stringiness. It does make my hair look dull, so I don't use it that often.

Like Nadine, I made a 50/50 my own, but I also own a spray from I believe Tony & Guy (my sister gave it to me) which also well. The latter has a horrible chemical small though.

purplevickie
October 14th, 2014, 07:55 AM
I don't like the scent, at least not of Batiste which is the only type I've used. To me it just smells of being a bit grubby and not having had time to wash my hair! I also find they make my fine hair quite sticky and unpleasant after a few hours... I might use a dry shampoo to perk up my hair for an evening out, but not to see me through a day at work. I'd rather just put it up and get it out of my face.

I have seen a new launch (probably UK only) of a dry shampoo called Colab, which is meant to be completely invisible and comes in a few different scents: http://www.superdrug.com/microsite/co-lab#.VD0q6GdSZiQ

TheBlondieDream
October 14th, 2014, 08:06 AM
I tried it when i had straightened hairs to avoid shampooing everyday, due to rhythmic gymnastics trainings and it did worked. I had the Fructis one, i just took it from the supermarket as i was in a rush to trainings.
Now that i'm back to my curlies for good, i don't think i'm gonna buy it again, since i can't guess how it can be possible to use it without the final brushing which is, obviously a big nono.

lapushka
October 14th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I have seborrheic dermatitis. The less gunk on my head, the better. :)

LadyLongLocks
October 14th, 2014, 08:57 AM
I love dry shampoo. I started using it again about 1 year ago. I have tried many brands and Original Batiste (http://emilysfrugaltips.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/653fea6c3eba0dfc3f465546fb9be621e068bd6e.jpg) is the best for me.It has rice starch and not aluminum starch. I used baby powder before for years on rare occasions, but it was harder to apply and I didn't like the smell.
My life has been so hectic in the last year, that I had little time for my hair. Dry shampoo has really helped me feel better when washing had to wait. (been taking care of sick family members) My scalp has no issues, but I try to just get it in the hair and not the scalp. Being blonde also works good with the dry shampoo because it has a white power that may show in darker hair.(they make it for dark hair if you can find it)
I try to limit my use of the dry shampoo to 2-4 times a month if possible.
Of course washing the hair is nicer, but in emergencies, dry shampoo is a lifesaver!
I also use it on day 6 since I am a weekly washer. Recently I couldn't wash my hair for 11 days(a record!) and believe me, I needed the dry shampoo!

Larki
October 14th, 2014, 09:01 AM
This is the dry shampoo that I use & love...https://www.etsy.com/listing/113795833/buttercream-dry-shampoo-hair-powder?ref=shop_home_active_3 It's definitely something I'm going to be stockpiling. She also makes a brown version for dark hair, that I obviously haven't tried. :p

hufflepug
October 14th, 2014, 10:00 AM
This is the dry shampoo that I use & love...https://www.etsy.com/listing/113795833/buttercream-dry-shampoo-hair-powder?ref=shop_home_active_3 It's definitely something I'm going to be stockpiling. She also makes a brown version for dark hair, that I obviously haven't tried. :p

That sounds so good! Bookmarking for when my current can of batiste runs out :)

Aderyn
October 14th, 2014, 10:08 AM
No dry shampoo for me either. I will either wash my hair or bun it and hope people think I just put product in my hair or something.

librarychick
October 14th, 2014, 10:10 AM
I've been working on really stretching washes because I shed like CRAZY when my hair gets wet (which I only noticed once I started stretching washes). I use dry shampoo (aka plain cornstarch...lol) about once a week now because I get a greasy spot on the back of my head right where my bun sits. The rest of my hair will be just fine - the bun-spot is yucky. So, dry shampoo helps stretch it.

I'm going to give the cocoa powder/cornstarch/peppermint recipe a try, that sounds soo yummy!

Hedera
October 14th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I love dry shampoo!
Without it, I would have to wash far more often; my hair is fine & thin and when it gets the least bit greasy I get bad scalp cleavage.

Plus, my bangs get greasy very quickly.

I used to make my own (corn starch plus Rassoul / Ghassoul clay plus some essential oil for fragrance) but I've switched to the Moondust that NightBlooming sells on Etsy; it is much easier to brush out, works at least as well and even though the colour is nothing like that of my hair, it does not show at all; it does not even make my hair look dull.

Fufu
October 14th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Dry shampoo works well for me. :)

raudr
October 29th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I love garnier fructis, but feel it doesn't last as long.

JellyBene
October 30th, 2014, 05:52 PM
I love dry shampoo! I too get 2 extra days between washes from it. I only use the powder kind though, not the spray stuff

Imalath
October 30th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Dry shampoo is a fail for me. I have tried both homemade and commercially-produced and instead of having greasy hair, I have greasy gunky hair that is hard to wash out. Tried it a few different ways to make sure it wasn't just how I first used it, but dry shampoo usually sends me to the shower right after using, lol

Eastbound&Down
October 31st, 2014, 09:52 AM
I prefer just regular baby powder vs. commerical dry shampoo. Smells nice and does the exact same thing for cheap :)

JustPam
October 31st, 2014, 10:41 AM
I mix cocoa powder and baby powder, just baby powder alone makes my hair mega staticy!

ZeppHead
October 31st, 2014, 10:49 AM
Hate dry shampoo! I gave it a chance used it three separate times and each time my hair came out dry and tangled at the roots. I would rather greasy hair for the rest of the day and wash the next than to use that stuff again!

allierat
October 31st, 2014, 11:11 AM
I love dry shampoo, only the Batiste one though, I've tried pretty much every other commercial one I've ever seen for sale and they were never good enough. I want to have a go at making my own as I've heard so many people saying it works well.

hanne jensen
October 31st, 2014, 11:52 AM
I've tried dry shampoo before and I hated it. My hair was tangled and mangled after use.

Brattina88
October 31st, 2014, 12:50 PM
I've had recent success with 'homemade'!
I lie it because I get greasy roots in some spots after day 3 and the rest is so good (wavy) I hate to ruin a good hair day by washing lol. Plus I hate dry time.

Is it very damaging? How often is too often, would you say?

mica
October 31st, 2014, 09:25 PM
I use baby powder if I have to go somewhere on wash day, (I wash my hair at night) since it doesn't get greasy before that. I wouldn't use it to stretch washes though, I feel like it's "too much stuff on my scalp" or something, so I don't use it unless I know I'll be washing it out that night. It does work for me though, I usually apply it on my temples and any other place that needs it and put my hair in a bun, and voila! "clean" hair :p

raudr
October 31st, 2014, 09:31 PM
They save my life. I like garnier fructis.

Agnieszka
November 1st, 2014, 01:02 AM
it makes my hair a little bit fuller, so yes I use it. I don't like Batiste as the smell for me is overwhelming but I like Aussie one for fine, limp hair.

Alun
November 1st, 2014, 02:19 AM
I don't like it, myself. I tried it and though it made my hair look cleaner around the root areas, it just felt like my hair was full of gunk - even after I brushed it out. I get a much better result from daily inverted brushing with a clean BBB. It stops my hair from looking greasy at all in the first place.

This. I just see it as an emergency fix and nothing more.

Platzhalter
November 5th, 2014, 04:30 AM
It doesn't really work for me, so it's barely an emergency fix.

höpönasu
November 5th, 2014, 04:43 AM
I've never tried dry shampoo and never will because I don't need to. I feel like they would dry my hair and make it crispy and damaged. :shrug:

Marika
November 5th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I used to use commercial dry shampoos like Batiste every once in a while but not anymore. They are full of drying alcohol and nasty ingredients and you leave them on your hair until the next wash. It's so much more gentler to wash your hair with shampoo, even SLES one in my opinion/experience.

Verdandi
November 5th, 2014, 07:37 AM
I use Batiste sometimes. I live in a dorm whit horrible water pressure, so it's my emergency fix at the end of the week when no bun can hide the yuckyness anymore. It makes my hair feel a bit strange, and gives me some frizz, but as long as I don't put it on the ends I'm not afraid of it being drying. When I use it, my hair greasy-greasy as in five-days-since-last-wash-and-some-sports-and-outdoor-activities-greasy, so I'm not afraid of the dryness, because I don't use enough to cause any :)

Begemot
November 5th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I use dry shampoo sometimes. It's great when you need to make hair appear cleaner and to make it more voluminous. I haven't found a dry shampoo that wouldn't be somewhat drying so that's one reason not to use it all the time. But dry shampoo making my hair little dry and less flat is way better than back combing, for example.

crazy_margaret
November 7th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I use bedhead rockaholic dirty secret dry shampoo. Its used for mornings I wake up too late to shower. I have very fine thin hair so when it gets just a touch greasy I start getting very 'scalpy' which doesn't work for me.
I usually wash every 4-5 days.

curlsgalore
November 7th, 2014, 11:12 AM
I just received my dry shampoo I ordered from Nightblooming but haven't had a chance to try it out :).

Lis
November 20th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I find that I like homemade the best. cornstarch or dry mustard, cocoa powder and a good dash of cinnamon. Works wonders.

BitterChocolate
November 21st, 2014, 04:28 AM
I like dry shampoo, though that being said I'm vary of the aerosol ones because I think putting alcohol on your hair defeats the whole purpose of extending your washes to allow natural oils nurture your hair. I use the Lush No Drought one that comes in a powder (and usually goes everywhere when I apply it :D)

I used to use it quite a bit when I started to try to stretch my washes, but now I rarely ever do since my hair got accustomed to my current washing routine (I wash it about every 4 days or so).

nakima
November 25th, 2014, 04:47 PM
only tried it once it made my hair feel heavy/gummy and lots of static :(

yahirwaO.o
November 27th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Cocoa powder to me all the time even with my sleek hair and oiled 3 day hair is barely noticiable!!!

I would like to test it since some people use it like a hairspray longer option for certain hairstyles!!!!

roseomalley
November 27th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I use dry shampoo maybe twice a month, when I need my hair to look clean and no time to wash it. There is also an extra benefit for me, I can get hair toys to stay in my hair after using dry shampoo. My hair is fine and slippery, the dry shampoo really helps with holding combs and sticks in for updos.

AmberJewel
November 27th, 2014, 08:03 PM
I tried dry shampoo twice, but both times it started driving me nuts because I couldn't brush it all out and powder sitting in my hair makes me scratch! Is it supposed to stay in like that? What am I doing wrong? I made my own dry shampoo by grinding up oatmeal into a very fine powder and adding a drop or two of lemon-eucalyptus EO. It sits in a jar until used. Now that I'm not using it as shampoo, I find it makes a good face/body scrub when mixed with equal parts of warm honey.

SwordWomanRiona
November 28th, 2014, 05:07 AM
I love dry shampoo, life saver for my hair, which starts to get oily at the roots the day after I wash. I don't want to wash my hair more often than every four days, so a bit of dry shampoo in my front and sides helps me extend washes very comfortably. Plus it adds some texture to my fine, slippery hair, which is also welcome :)

I only use it on the roots (never too much quantity), and I've never experienced mechanical damage from brushing the stuff off with a baby brush, so it's all pros to me. Possible con is that hair does feel a bit sticky/with residue after I've used dry shampoo for 2-3 days straight, but I usually keep it in a ponytail/up on day 3 and 4 after washing, and when I start to have a bit too muh residue it's time to wash again, so no problem, generally.

norths
November 28th, 2014, 08:15 PM
i want to try this do you use normal cocoa powder like for baking?

GetMeToWaist
November 29th, 2014, 01:18 AM
I hate it. It's tacky, it builds up, tangles and dries my hair, gives it waaaaay too much volume, and I'm asthmatic so it really irritates my chest.

DragonAngel
November 29th, 2014, 01:38 AM
yuck ! yuck ! no no no never is how I feel about the idea of dry shampoo :confused:

vpatt
May 18th, 2015, 04:25 PM
I use cornstarch......it works great to extend wash days if washing is inconvenient for some reason. My hair is graying so it just makes it a bit lighter. It's cheap and I don't notice a buildup or itching or anything. I'm not sure I would like commercial powders...but I may try one. It does go in all my hair as I am only at shoulder length. Any thing I use like oil, shampoo or powder all go to the ends, of my hair. The cornstarch makes my hair feel soft, but I'm sure it's not as shiny as when I wash it.

dancingbarefoot
May 18th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I tried it a few months ago, and I wasn't very impressed with it. I have to brush and brush and then brush some more to blend it in, or else it looks like I dipped my head in a bowl of talcum powder. Might as well just wash it.