PDA

View Full Version : Newbie recovering from trichotillomania

purplevickie
October 13th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Hi! I thought I'd create a new thread to say hello properly, although I've started out on a thread about trichotillomania on the main forum.

I'm 32, in the UK, and have been lurking here a few weeks since I decided to grow my hair out long again. I've always loved long hair but had suffered from trichotillomania since I was about 11, and so my hair has always been quite thin. I did have hair down to BSL in my mid-20s, but it wasn't in great condition so I ended up chopping it off and it's hovered around shoulder length ever since. I had cognitive behavioural therapy all last year to work on my trich (it had got to the point that I was almost bald in places) and general anxiety, and after my sessions ended in February this year, I stopped pulling. I'm still amazed it worked! My hair is far thicker than I ever remember it being, and I'm actually struggling to manage it as it's so different to my previous hair!

I had my hair cut to just above shoulder length in June this year, to start to even up the old and new layers of growth, but it will be some time before they're even. At the moment my hair is just below shoulder length, with the new growth around ear to chin length. My hair is naturally quite straight - 1a/b - but the damaged sections at the sides - particularly the left - and from the top of my head are growing in quite wavy. I love wavy hair, but not so much the lopsided straight/wavy effect! I'm currently experimenting with different shampoos, conditioners, treatments, oils and styling methods to figure out how to make my hair look its best while it grows out.

Here's my hair from the back, last week (please excuse the unhelpful shadows!). The sides are very uneven and much shorter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/purplevickie/Hairfulllength.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/purplevickie/media/Hairfulllength.jpg.html)

I look forward to hanging out here while my hair grows!

lapushka
October 13th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Welcome! :)

idiay
October 13th, 2014, 09:24 AM
welcome :D

UniqueWabbit
October 21st, 2014, 10:34 AM
I'm so super happy for you! Can't wait to watch your progress. Welcome!! I'm new to the site, too.

squirrrel
October 21st, 2014, 01:50 PM
Thick new growth sounds like a great thing... Intriguing to hear how the new stuff has a completely different texture. I shall look forwards to hearing how things progress. in your new hair journey. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
October 21st, 2014, 02:12 PM
Welcome to LHC and happy growing!

purplevickie
October 22nd, 2014, 07:53 AM
Thank you all!

I have discovered in the past week that my hair absolutely loves argan oil. It seems to calm the frizzies incredibly well, and makes my hair very soft.