PDA

View Full Version : Eye glasses tearing hairs around your face?

feralnature
September 24th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I am so annoyed with my glasses tearing my hair at my forehead, particularly near the left temple. I hear a little snap and another hair is popped off. I have at least 50 or more hairs broke off short, 1 inch or so long, near my face.

I wear little clips there by my temples to stop it from happening, but sometimes i forget or just don't want to. It is so annoying that I am considering contacts.

SCREAM!

Deborah
September 24th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Have you looked at the newish hinge-less frames? These are nice because there is no hinge to get caught in. My new glasses (on order) have this feature. I think I will like them a lot.

saoriiroas
September 24th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Wow, I was wondering when this was going to come up... I hate ripping hairs out when I take my glasses off...

If you are going to try contacts, go to the contact brand website and get coupons for free trial pairs: One each of Acuvue, Acuve 2, Oasys, Freshlooks, Colorblends...and every other brand you find. You will still have to pay for the contact lens measurement, but with the coupons, you will have a few trial pairs to decide if you actually want to/ can wear contact lenses. Any optometrist who does not oblige is a stinker.

PseudoScot
September 24th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Contacts rock, but if your hair is getting caught you might want to consider filling in the space where they get caught with some sort of material. Or, if they are new, take them back and have them fixed.

Another thing I do is when I take off my glasses, I don't pull them directly off my face. I will hook my finger over the temple area and slide it back, then unhook the glasses from my ear, one side at a time. Sort of like the same gesture you use to tuck hair behind the ears... but to unhook the glasses instead of pull them. Not sure that made sense but after awhile you get into the habit of doing it and it works out.

This has come up before so you might find more advice if you search for variations on 'glasses'. :)

Arctic
September 25th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Hmm, I have been wearing glasses all my life and never had this problem.
It must have something to do with the shape of the head, hairline, hairtype, material (I usually have plastic frames) and shape of glasses, the way you put them on and remove....?
Hope you find a solution that doesn't damage your temple hairs!

mortiziia
September 25th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I wear my glasses for work because my eyes get sore after a long exposure to the computer with the contacts and my hairs get caught in the frames, too (plastic Tous frames) :mad:. When this happens, I take my glasses off carefully and fold them without pulling them off my face to liberate the odd hair. Takes two seconds and solves the problem for me. I was mad at having a few hairs broken around my face every evening.

yogachic
September 25th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I have the same problem with my frames, but no money to buy a whole new pair of glasses at this point. It's not always easy to fit current lens in new frames.

DD12 just got new frames in August and hers seem like they would be better at not catching the hairs.

Next time "we" get frames, we should really check out those hinges good before purchase. But I feel like most frames out there will catch hairs in the hinge. GRRR

Medvssa
September 25th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I found a particular kind of hinge to be the culprit. I wrote about it in the old LHC, here is the post:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showpost.php?p=554272&postcount=5

Here (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=33843) is the entire thread.

Calista
September 25th, 2008, 04:05 AM
With my glasses it isn´t the hinge that´s the culprit, but the plastic thingie that is supposed to be worn behind the ear. My hair gets caught where the plastic meets the metal of the frame. Does that make sense? It happens only at one side, because the plastic thing is longer there. I avoid ripping hairs by placing thumb and forefinger over the area before taking off my glasses.

AutumnLeaves
September 25th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Oh do I have this problem too. And I often push my glasses up on my head and the two nose pieces also pull out my hair! No money for new glasses right now and contacts just hurt my eyes too much!

Tap Dancer
September 25th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I always have that problem when I wear brand new frames. After a few months, the problem stops. :confused:

Chromis
September 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I always make sure to take new ones that I'm buying in person off and on a few times to make sure nothing catches. Some hinge designs are worse than others. So far none of the rimless glasses I've had have had hinge troubles. The plastic bit behind the ear you can either take some clear nailpolish to or you can have swapped out for a smaller profile one if you have a good optometrist.

NiAosSi
September 25th, 2008, 07:27 AM
This happens to me...I try to always keep my hair away from my face. It tends to happen alot when it's down. Also, on the subway, if I lean back in the chair my hair gets caught on the wall or the advertising frames and snaps off. Argh!

Euphony
September 25th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I always make sure to take new ones that I'm buying in person off and on a few times to make sure nothing catches. Some hinge designs are worse than others. So far none of the rimless glasses I've had have had hinge troubles. The plastic bit behind the ear you can either take some clear nailpolish to or you can have swapped out for a smaller profile one if you have a good optometrist.
I've always had the problem of my hairs getting caught. But I recently purchased a pair of half rimmed glasses. I don't wear them often since I got my contact lenses updated, but I haven't had any hairs get caught in them.

I also want to add that I adore my contacts. It took a while to get used to and they aren't for everyone but I do adore them. I don't have to wipe the fog off in the winter, they don't get rained on, I can wear cheap sunglasses, I don't have the pressure marks on my nose - the list goes on.

GlennaGirl
September 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I just wanted to say that if anyone wants to try new glasses but cringes at the thought of spending $300 just to see if your hair stops snapping, try 39dollarglasses.com.

I don't have anything to do with that site. :) (Well, I've been around here long enough anyway for people to know I'm not SPAMming.)

I've gotten two pairs of glasses there and I'm very happy with them. One was a pair of Rx sunglasses for $50. Another was rimless/frameless with a nonreflective coating for $100. I get extra stuff and very "now" styles which is why mine never fall into the "39 dollar" category. :D But, dayum, both beat the $300, $400, etc. prices that even LensCrafters wants to charge me.

Anyway, just wanted to put that in!

ilovelonghair
September 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I started this same topic a while ago and have since gotten new glasses and it makes a huge difference! I got a plastic frame and somehow that doesn't catch hair. I also am very careful when taking them off. And most of the time I wear contacts.

*BelievingAgain
September 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Do you know, I haven't experienced this with my new glasses at all. Reading your post reminded me of how often my older pairs of glasses would rip at my hair, must have something to do with hinge exposure. So, it's an awfully expensive option, but maybe new glasses? Sorry I'm not more help, but I can certainly relate and sympathise!!! :flower:

starfire
September 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I feel your pain. I had the same problem. It had to do with the frames, I think, because I didn't always have that problem. Just with my most recent pair.

(got laser eye surgery so no more glasses for me yay!)

feralnature
September 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all of the responses :)

It feels good to complain sometimes and it sure felt good to whine about my glasses. I will surely end up with new glasses or contacts. As of now, I have been carefully and consciously pinning my hair back so it won't get caught. Every little hair has a mission.

ladyshannonanne
September 25th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I only wear glasses part time, lucky me. But I still have this problem. What I've found it that if I pinch the arms of the glasses just behind my ears (in other words, close them as much as I can while they're still on my head) and then take them off, I don't rip out my hair.

Amoretti
September 26th, 2008, 01:54 AM
When you always wear updos it isn't a problem anymore. :)

Brianna
September 26th, 2008, 02:45 AM
You know, it's odd, but I very very rarely have this problem at all. It does happen, but surprisingly seldom considering how often I wear my hair down and the fact that I have bangs. And my glasses do have hinges.

Guess I should just consider myself lucky and leave it at that. :D

Chromis
September 26th, 2008, 08:12 AM
When you always wear updos it isn't a problem anymore. :)

Even with updos some glasses still manage to grab hairs! They are like Jaws! dun dun...dun dun dun

GlennaGirl
September 26th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Even with updos some glasses still manage to grab hairs! They are like Jaws! dun dun...dun dun dun

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

heidi w.
September 26th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Been there, done that.

Several iteration of glasses ago now, I had these kind that the arms had a kind of gap in them (where the screw is) and teensy hairs would get caught in them. Then the plastic covered arm of the wire glasses where it goes over the ears started peeling off. (Age.)

So began my search for glasses that don't mutilate hair. Actually it was the annoyance of the catch, not so much the shorter hairs in this region, which is fairly normal, that bugged me. It just hurts when one strand is yanked so!

So my first solution was I found these glasses where the edges went fairly well beyond the side of my head ... not so close, and the arm where the screw is was actually covered and rather smooth. Problem solved.

Today's fashion is these kind of near half glasses, really narrow and rectangular and the fun colors you can get in plastic. These too tend to be well beyond the perimeter of the temple and no pull.

Problem being with new glasses is the cost (same for contacts although I think these can be a bit cheaper). My latest pair garnered earlier this year in a fun color of plastic....$350 ... in that zonage for eye exam, plastic frames ($80), and the 3 different zonages of prescription I require (progressives.....so no lines). Contacts don't allow me to see uber well....I still have to pair those with reading glasses from the local drug store.

heidi w.

LadyLongLocks
September 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Maybe they can be adjusted. Bring them in to a eyeglass place and tell them your problem.
I used to have this problem when I had bangs. Just take your glasses off slowly and hold the hair so you don't rip it out. Glasses are a pain!

harpgal
September 26th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Glasses are a pain!
LOL! How right you are! I do take mine off verrry slowly. Unfortunately, if I do not wear them, everything is a bit fuzzy. :rolleyes:

Electronika
September 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Get some new glasses! Thats what I did..I was forced into Dolce & Gabbana:cool: