PDA

View Full Version : Covering up hair before sleeping?

ilovelonghair
March 20th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I read some people do his. How do you do that? Does it work?

AJoifulNoise
March 20th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I'm curious about this as well... I would think anything I put on my head would slide right off.

By the way... I've been meaning to mention that I love your siggy. Your hair is so pretty!

atlantaz3
March 20th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I wondered also and even went so far as to google sleep caps. I either thought I would look like Little House on the Prairie or one of the curler caps from the 50's. Neither of which would help the love life. I think I'm going the satin pillow case route and soon!

lavenderblue
March 20th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I'd like to know too, currently the little house on the prairy is on the telly now here in the Netherlands, they wear a big bonnet in bed, I think that's kinda cute (but I'm pretty sure my husband thinks otherwise :D) I'm sure there must be another way :)

helynhighwater
March 20th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I use one of these (http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod363741&CATID=100839&skuid=sku363742&V=G&ec=frgl_719481&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku363742) that I found at Wal-Mart for around 2 bucks. I just put my hair into a loose bun and wrap it around with the part that looks like it should cup the forehead cupping the back of my head instead, and tie it in the front. Despite my slippery fine hair, it stay put pretty well all night and on rare occasions when it does slide, it usually doesn't slide off all the way and seems to wait until close to the time when I wake up to do it.

AJoifulNoise
March 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I use one of these (http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod363741&CATID=100839&skuid=sku363742&V=G&ec=frgl_719481&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku363742) that I found at Wal-Mart for around 2 bucks. I just put my hair into a loose bun and wrap it around with the part that looks like it should cup the forehead cupping the back of my head instead, and tie it in the front. Despite my slippery fine hair, it stay put pretty well all night and on rare occasions when it does slide, it usually doesn't slide off all the way and seems to wait until close to the time when I wake up to do it.

I may look in to that the next time I got to Wal*Mart. I wouldn't mind wearing my hair up when sleeping if I could cover the top of my head and stop (what I think is) breakage.

Feisty Redhead
March 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I have a satin sleep cap... but I can't stand it. I've discovered that I can't sleep if I have something on my head. Unless I'm on the bus for a long road trip for work in the middle of winter and it's cold, then I will wear a tuque and snuggle up to whoever I'm sitting beside (I work with a hockey team and we travel together on one bus, so I'm not just snuggling up to some random stranger, that would be weird LOL) to stay warm. But sleep caps/wraps etc... can't deal with them!

Anje
March 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I'm back to wearing a satin sleep cap at night for several reasons.
1) I'm inconsistent about using my satin pillowcase.
2) I sleep with my head half-on half-off the pillow anyway (stomach sleeper, don't need much pillow).
3) I find my braid is usually under the pillow (and therefore on cotton sheets) to protect it from the tassle-munching furball.

Hubby can deal with it. It's not like I'm wearing the thing *during* s#x, after all.

helynhighwater
March 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I may look in to that the next time I got to Wal*Mart. I wouldn't mind wearing my hair up when sleeping if I could cover the top of my head and stop (what I think is) breakage.

The nice thing is that they're cheap, so if it's not for you, you're not out much. :)

aprilmay
March 20th, 2008, 05:12 PM
When I was younger, I used to braid my hair before bed. Now, I am lucky to brush it before bed. I can't imagine sleeping with something on my head.

CotM
March 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I put my hair up and tie a silk scarf around my head. I've slept with my hair bound in some way all my life, so I feel uncomfortable with it loose. It's cheaper than a pillowcase, too (I think). :o

Cinnamon Hair
March 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I wear a mesh sleep cap (http://www.hairproducts.com/images/BLA-KIN108.jpg). The satin ones are ok, but the mesh has a tighter fitting elastic so it stays on better for me. Although eventually the elastic wears out..that's when I break out the needle & thread to take it in a bit (because I'm cheap and they're hard to find!). I don't make a bun or anything, just wrap my hair around one hand then throw it into the cap.

chloeishere
March 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I haven't read most of the replies, but I sometimes cover up my hair to sleep; I think I do it differently than most people here, though.

Here's what I do:
I take my big silk scarf from Dharma Trading Co (http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1741-AA.shtml?lnav=scarves_silk.html) (which was very affordable-- the 30"x30" one, I wouldn't go smaller than that) and lay it flat on my pillow, so the bottom edge lines up with the bottom of my hair nape. I toss my hair up onto the scarf covered pillow, so it's laying over my head. then I take the two lowest ends, and tie them around my hair-- I actually tie the ends up at the top of my forehead, making sure I don't catch any little hairs into the knot.
Next, I grab the top ends of the scarf, grasp them, sort of wrap them around the hair (basically, just make sure the ends are together) and then tuck the top ends under the knot in the front. It kind of ends up looking a bit like Rosie the Riveter. :p I think this is doable for even really long hair; I have TONS of room to grow in. I don't think I'll ever outgrow it, if I fold my hair over or wrap it a little.

There are several reasons I do this-- one, it makes my hair unbelievably soft and silky the next day, and completely stops tangles. It tends to feel less greasy the next day, too. Two, it keeps my hair out of my way completely, so I generally sleep more deeply when I do this, because I'm not always flipping my hair out of the way. I prefer it to sleep caps because I use a very light silk, which is comfortable, and it doesn't leave a line around my forehead from the elastic around the edges-- I've had the line before from trying to sleep in a shower cap, and it stunk! Plus I think with the custom "knotted" fit, it's just a lot more comfortable than a sleep cap.

I do not always do it: if I've heavily oiled and plan to sleep overnight with it in my hair; it just gets the scarf dirty faster, and there is no advantage felt by sleeping with the silk instead of a towel over the pillow. In short, using silk has no benefit when your hair is already smothered in oil.
I also don't do it when I go to bed with wet hair; it takes longer to dry, and makes my ends flip up in the back (not bizarrely, it's just not a look that I like), and kills my wave pattern if I sleep with my wet hair like that.

The rest of the time, though, I love it! I slept so deeply last night because I took the time to cover my hair, and my hair felt so nice this morning!
Oh, I'm not sure if this would work with a satin silk scarf, it would probably just slip right off the hair. The habotai silk has more texture than the satin one, but still leaves my hair feeling fantastic in the morning!

Feisty Redhead
March 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Oh wow those scarves ARE affordable! I might have to get a couple just to have 'em... LOL

MadPirateBippy
March 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I was thinking of getting the sleeping cap from Tenderheaded- anyone have one?

Melein
March 21st, 2008, 01:19 AM
I wear just a regular hairnet. Which isn't exactly the most attractive look, but I have a *lot* less breakage that way. Braids or a ponytail at night broke off a lot of hairat my nape, and leaving it loose caused all kinds of tangles!

If I'm leaving oil or a conditioning treatment overnight, I'll wear a shower cap instead. Silk scarves sound like a nice idea, though!

ilovelonghair
March 21st, 2008, 03:28 AM
But does it really help against breakage?

MelLuna
March 21st, 2008, 03:46 AM
I have 2 silk sleep caps from another seller. But it always slips from my head at night. Now I bid for a silk pillowcase. I hope I 'll get it.:)

Snowblood
March 21st, 2008, 04:01 AM
Sounds interesting.. but donīt you sweat under your sleep caps? Iīve only used shower caps for oil treatments over night and that maked me sweating terribly. Does it depend on the material of the cap? Maybe I shall give it a try, I have tons of knots after sleeping (but being romantic with a sleep cap.. uh my bf will probably break out in laughter).

Strongnlong
March 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM
I sleep most nights (unless I just pass out LOL!) with a silky scarf on my head. The size doesn't really matter unless i'm wearing it outside and want an intricate design. I do notice a difference in my hair (for the worst) if I DON't cover my hair at night. Snowblood I think the material matters...I sweat like a BEAST LOL! I find that my scarfs with a higher content of natural materials (ie silk) don't get as sweaty as say 100% polyester.

I don't worry about being cute...he knows what he's got 18 yrs into this :) and IMO I DO look cute with my scarf on. I give great face!

Elfling
March 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM
ooo. I really like those habotai scarves. I love to wear my hair pirate-style anyways :P those would be awesome.

chloeishere
March 21st, 2008, 10:49 AM
Sounds interesting.. but donīt you sweat under your sleep caps? Iīve only used shower caps for oil treatments over night and that maked me sweating terribly. Does it depend on the material of the cap? Maybe I shall give it a try, I have tons of knots after sleeping (but being romantic with a sleep cap.. uh my bf will probably break out in laughter).

I haven't, but I've only been doing this since winter, and my room is traditionally the coldest in the winter and the warmest in the summer. Even on nights when I've left the space-heater on too long, I don't generally notice extra sweating due to the scarf-- but it is 100% silk (so it's a natural material), and very light.
I'm not sure what I'll do if/ when I move in with my boyfriend! I don't do most of my fussy hair stuff when I'm with him, so I sleep on his normal cotton pillowcase, and suffer the results. I guess I'll have to steel myself against the inevitable teasing and deal with it, because it makes my hair feel so much better; and its so much easier to detangle in the morning. It's not a particularly hot look on me, though. I'm sure he'll think it's adorable... or else!
:luke:

But does it really help against breakage?

In my experience, yes. And it helps a lot with tangles (especially nape tangles-- my hair tends to tangle at night because I move alot), which keeps the hair from also having tangle breakage when you try to detangle.

Aize
March 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
I heard about sleeping on silk pillowcases to protect hair, but I couldn't afford it and I hate the feel of silk on my face for some reason. So I bought a do-rag to try and wrap my hair up in it overnight. I used it once when I was deep conditioning overnight, but when I woke up, it had slid off my head entirely. The second time, I found it set on my desk... how it got there, I will never know. :confused: I love wearing it during the day, but for night, I just wrap a silk scarf around my pillow.

alys
March 22nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
I too use a satin 'nightcap' and it works wonders I delcare!!!! I sometimes stop using it and really noptice the difference almost right away. Hair is coarser and frazzled when I wake up without it. Conversely, when I go back to using it I get softer, smoother hair. Never would have thought such a small change would matter but for me it does.
And I also got mine at the dollar store for next to nothing. It's not my favourite part of the p.m. routine, but I deal. And as for my other half, he hates the Granny Cap. Which makes me like it all the more :)

tiny_teesha
March 23rd, 2008, 05:41 AM
i second what AJoifulNoise said.

Well i sometimes wear a satin night cap. But it is uncomfortable for me.

yogachic
March 23rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
I sleep on a satin pillowcase. It has made a difference in my hair and has helped with breakage near the temples. I have always had the shorter flyaway's there and I probably always will, but the satin pillowcase vs. cotton has definetely helped, so I am sticking with it. I bought a satin bonnet, but I can't sleep with something on my head either, and the elastic is too tight.

Hedera
March 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
I use a Buff at night, with usually a high cinnabun underneath, sometimes a braid (stick the braid through the Buff).

It not only works really well to prevent tangles etc, it also doubles as a sleep mask (because of new streetlights in front of my house, my bedroom is very bright, especially in winter).

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
When I was first growing till about my shoulders, I religiously covered my hair with a sleep cap to go to bed. Within the last year or so, I just started putting it in a low english braid and I really haven't noticed a difference in breakage, etc. It's just more comfortable for me to sleep with it braided.

The only thing I have noticed is that my hair stays nice and wavy but my ends are all wonky because they weren't in the braid LOL. I just spritz a little water on the ends and encourage the wave to come back.

pola
March 23rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
I put my hair between the 2 parts of my pijamas. I use a T-shirt and over that the real pijamas (I dont know if that makes sense, sorry). I think it stays protected that way, though half of my hair is outside when I wake up!

TheBlondeApple
April 14th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I was thinking of getting the sleeping cap from Tenderheaded- anyone have one?
I got their silk ones. And I :heartbeat them!

Braiding before bed alone doesn't help with nape-tangles, at all, for me.
I admit, that for proper fitting, I pull the cap over my eyes.
Can't say this has stopped anything :eyebrows: around here. Can't think of much that would stop that from happening, though. Does C get a laugh? He certainly does. Me peeking out underneath the cap must be hilarious. He's constantly laughing at me, this is just one more reason.

I have to replace the elastics very often, not sure why, could be because I put the caps in the laundry with everything else or because my face/body-oils make the rubber break? That's a nuissance, frankly.

Anja

TheBlondeApple
April 14th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I have 2 silk sleep caps from another seller.
In Europe? *hopes for low shipping charges*
Anja

angelthadiva
April 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I'm not very consistant w/this, but I either wear a silk scarf or a...I'm not sure what it's called, but it's not like anything that's been shown yet...It's made out of satin material (like a doo rag) and it looks like a bonnet but w/a sinch kind of tie...

I normally put my hair in a sleep braid then put the cap on, but it's not comfortable. I might try just brushing my hair out and putting the cap on loose.

MelLuna
April 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Not in Europe. But the shipping was lower than Thenderheaded's. But I use a silk pillowcase now. The caps always slipped from my head.
Here you can get it.
http://www.littlesilkhaircap.com/lshc/index.htm

TheBlondeApple
April 16th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Not in Europe. But the shipping was lower than Thenderheaded's. But I use a silk pillowcase now. The caps always slipped from my head.
Here you can get it.
http://www.littlesilkhaircap.com/lshc/index.htm

Thanks! :flowers:
Anja