PDA

View Full Version : Remember the 10sec quick bun?

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 07:52 AM
My signature bun, I wear that almost all the time. For those of you wondering, I have finally made a movie how to on it. No sound but images should be clear :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YIyUGn2pI

birthmarkie
March 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM
What a great tutorial! Your bun is so pretty.

I also watched a Korean bun tutorial. It was interesting to see a different culture's take on the bun.

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I am glad it was clear! I purposely slowed down of course, but it can be done as quickly as within a few seconds.

FrannyG
March 8th, 2008, 08:09 AM
That's a great bun, eadwine, and so easy! :flower:

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Thank you!

It's the bun you all have been seeing these past few months, with all the different hair toys. Different looks, but the same bun :)

Sherri
March 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Verry neat style and very fast too. Can use that one in a pinch when you need to get hair up fast. good job.

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Thank you! :)

Poolsoflaughter
March 8th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Very cool tutorial. Seems to be pretty simple and straight-forward.

Katja
March 8th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Your video is very nicely done. I like how you do each step slowly and clearly. The bun looks great.

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks! I am very glad it worked so well!

Patrycja
March 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM
very nice.I have too many layers to make it work though.Maybe one day soon.

I also watch the Korean Bun video.I was digging it untill she broke out the hairband.I'm trying to steer away from them when I do buns.

Elfling
March 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Oh, wow. Nice to see how to really put in a hairstick too, I'm just starting to get interested in them. Thank you :)

Gothic Lolita
March 8th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Nice. I like your bun and the video is clear!

Maybe I can manage it now, I never understood how to do it, thankk

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM
You're welcome, I hope you'll be able to use them soon! :) They're fun :)

Thanks gothic lolita! Good luck trying!

Amnell
March 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM
its so easy, thank you eadwine

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
You're welcome :)

Elle
March 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Very cool! Your bun looks so neat! Thank you for sharing your video with us. http://www.swimmingwithmothra.com/images/public/HappyHappy.gif

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks!! On me the cinnamon bun won't stay up.. the ends aren't tucked tightly and my hair is slippery, so yeah. I started thinking what to do with the short hair I have, and this is the result. :)

SueBee
March 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Yay, Eadwine!
Now there's a valuable tutorial video. (And your hair is that spun silk I always dreamed of.:p )
I tried to leave you a comment but it was disabled.
I get aggravated to no end when someone does a hair tutorial at 100mph. You need to do a tutorial to show others how to do a tutorial:D
I am not sure how easy the bun will be for me, as I have quite a bit of coarser hair.
Anyway, nice job. Thank you for sharing.

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah I purposely did that, as I don't check things on there anyway :)

Thanks!

Miss Murphy
March 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Eadwine, I read your written instructions over at TBB and couldn't figure them out. This helps so much, so thanks - I'm sure to try that one soon! :flower:

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Great! Yes, an image says more than 1000 words :)

jessie58
March 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM
What a fantastic tutorial, I'm going to try it. Thank you.

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
You are most welcome!

You lot have encouraged me to make more tutorials!

CurlyNinja
March 8th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I also really liked that the bun had the look of a very-long hair bun but could be done by those of us with quite a bit shorter hair. Thanks!

jojo
March 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM
thats a cool bun is your hair BSL? i dont know if my hair is as long as yours but its one for the future.
thanks for sharing

chloeishere
March 8th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Love it-- thanks! I was going to rate it 5 stars, but it said ratings were disabled... so I favorited it instead.

Now, once my hair gets a bit longer... I'll be all over that!

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM
thats a cool bun is your hair BSL? i dont know if my hair is as long as yours but its one for the future.
thanks for sharing

My hair is 1.5" shy of BSL :)

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I also really liked that the bun had the look of a very-long hair bun but could be done by those of us with quite a bit shorter hair. Thanks!

Yes, that is something I noticed too! It fools the passer-by, and makes us feel good in the process :lol:

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Love it-- thanks! I was going to rate it 5 stars, but it said ratings were disabled... so I favorited it instead.

Now, once my hair gets a bit longer... I'll be all over that!

Aww thank you!

I do hope that those who manage to make this bun share pictures! :D

jojo
March 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM
My hair is 1.5" shy of BSL :)

gee your hair grows quick, its definitely grown looking at your video!
you will be at BSL by May I bet! august for me...i hope!

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
By May? Oh may the gods grant me that! :lol:

I sincerely hope so!

Euphony
March 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Great tutorial! This is terrific too - I generally have hair that is too short/too thick for many updo's, with this bun, I have the perfect amount of hair...I did however do it backwards :grin: I'll try it again, I'm sure it probably doesn't matter.

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM
It doesn't matter one bit. I am doing this the right handed way now, when I wrote the tutorial I was doing it left handed. Do it the way it feels most comfortable. :)

Do share pics everyone! :D I am so curious!

lavenderblue
March 8th, 2008, 01:04 PM
that's nice, and now I do understand it, I'm a visual person :) I tryed it out right away and it feels solid!

~*BeautyWitch*~
March 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Pretty! you make it look so easy!

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Great! I am hearing this from so many, I am so glad I made that video :)

coppercurls
March 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Great tutorial, thanks for sharing with us.

rubyredslippers
March 8th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Lovely tutorial--I found it very helpful. I tried 'er out a couple of times, but apparently while we're at similar lengths my hair is too thick to get it quite like yours. I followed the steps and got something remotely similar and rather secure up.

Thank you for sharing. :D

Patchouli
March 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks eadwine, great tutorial. It looks much neater than the bun I do!

ReadingRenee
March 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the tutorial. Whats funny about this is I tried this ten second bun back in Oct/Nov and it worked great. I tried it in February and couldn't make it work with my new length. Like you Im also about 1.5 inches from BSL.

So its great to see that tutorial on someone with hair pretty much the same length as mine. Thanks. :)

Neoma
March 8th, 2008, 08:25 PM
By Jove, I think I've got it! That video is brilliant, eadwine! Thank you for posting it.

The first twist is counter-intuitive. If I hadn't seen the video, I would never have understood the instructions.

Yay! I have a new bun in my repetoire! :)

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks all!!

Yeah, that first twist at the nape I do automatically :lol: without thinking even. It isn't needed really, but I have these shorter nape hairs, and I secure them into the bun by making that twist at the start. It does also help to fix the starting point that way, but it is not mandatory. The very last twist before putting the ends under I do to avoid fly aways, secures them again so the ends stay put.

CurlyNinja
March 9th, 2008, 12:14 AM
For some reason I couldn't quite get this to come out right for me...I think it's because even though my longest hair is roughly BSL, I have a lot of shorter layers that prevent me from having enough hair to do the last "tuck through" part effectively enough to hold the bun. Soon though! Soon there will be 10sec quick bunning!

eadwine
March 9th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Could be your hair is thicker than mine, have you tried doing it without any twisting at all?

Juanita
March 9th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Good tutorial. Tried out with a pencil at my computer.Feels nice and firm.Maybe with longer hair you could go around the base of the twist once or twice to take up some length.

Cheers
Juanita

eadwine
March 9th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Good tutorial. Tried out with a pencil at my computer.Feels nice and firm.Maybe with longer hair you could go around the base of the twist once or twice to take up some length.

Cheers
Juanita

A longer haired friend over on the Dutch forum did something even different, she twisted the length she had left over around the entire bun. Whatever works. I have no idea what I will come up with, I have to wait till my hair is MUCH longer :lol:

tiny_teesha
March 9th, 2008, 03:56 AM
lovely bun! You do your updo's a lot tighter then mine! I will have to try that once my hair dries.

eadwine
March 9th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I have to. If I don't it will simply fall out after a while, and I cannot have that.

Advantage of this bun.. if it is too tight, I wiggle the bun, it comes a bit looser then :)

lynnala
March 9th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the video! And it never occurred to me to look on youtube for buns, but there are tons under 'bun tutorial'.

eadwine
March 9th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Oh definitely! There is another thread on this forum that holds loads :)

Lize
March 9th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I love that bun! I will definately try it in a year or so when my hair is long enough. ;)

Hypnotica
March 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I can't get this bun to stay with a hair stick, but I've came up with a Ficcare version. I think I can get a pic of it later....

eadwine
March 9th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Great! Use whatever works for you :)

frizzinator
March 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM
This is the same as the Inside-Out bun which I make all the time. A longer tail would be wrapped around the initial loop.
When pinned with a stick or fork, this bun can be held by the tail hair inside the initial loop, and not scalp hair. (thus the name "inside-out bun")

A short stick or fork and the initial loop work like a hairslide. The stick or fork simply goes over one side of the loop and under the tail hair in the center of the initial loop and over the other side of the initial loop.

Even more interesting, is that if you leave off the last part I just described, you actually have a log roll.

eadwine
March 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
A short stick or fork and the initial loop work like a hairslide. The stick or fork simply goes over one side of the loop and under the tail hair in the center of the initial loop and over the other side of the initial loop.

This bit is exactly what my bun does :)

manyhorsesmane
March 10th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Tada! You made that look so easy! When all my layers grow out, I'll try it, but for now all I can manage is a French twist! Nice job!

Nastacia
April 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
That was quite amazing, I will try that for sure ! ^^

kdaniels8811
April 19th, 2009, 11:14 AM
That is what I call an orchid bun, which is my signature bun! I can twist it either way as to not wear hair the exact same way all the time. Love this bun!

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Nice bun!! And nice guitar case! :D Thanks for sharing!!

eadwine
April 22nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks!! I have made a more recent version of it. *hunts it down*

Gotcha: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aixus3LDPxE

tuanyiji
November 1st, 2022, 10:02 PM
Crosspost from my ABC Bun Challenge (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146204&p=3962908&viewfull=1#post3962908), I hope that by creating this 9-picture grid format, I can slowly build up my own hairstyle dictionary, or pictionary for visual learners.

This is my 17th assignment for LHC's ABC Hairstyle Challenge: Quickie Bun.
This is also known as 10-second Quick Bun by eadwine but her video tutorial is no longer available so I followed the instruction of TorrinPaige's (https://youtu.be/pOzk5VHwx4c). It's for longhairs who are a bit "hairstyle challenged" and just want to get their hair out of their face when they are busy, you can use any tool that is handy, like a pencil, clips, pins or a fork. It’s like a combination of Nautilus Bun and French Twist but easier and quicker, this hairdo doesn’t require you to have thick long hair, any hair type will do.

First, without a tie, I gather my hair into a pony on the lower center back of my head with my left hand.
With my right palm facing backward and the thumb up, I clamp the pony from under with the L formed by my right index and thumb.
I pull the pony down to cover my right palm with my left hand, then I turn my right palm to the right and then to the front, this is a counterclockwise motion, thus forming the first loop with my right index-pinkie.
At this point, this is exactly how you start a nautilus bun.
Then, I keep raising and rotating my wrist to form more twist, until the hair ends are wrapped inside the base of the twist on my lower head, this part is exactly like a French twist. I use my left hand to tuck/fold the uncooperative hair ends inside the twist.
Then I use my left hand to pull the loop off from my right palm and cover/wrap the twist in the middle, the end result looks like an Artemis Bun, but I like how my twist caused a two-session cocoon shape.
I use two claw clips to fix the outer loop on both sides like TP did, and it’s deathly solid, almost to the point of giving me a headache, I think that’s because my claw teeth dip into my scalp. If I were to do it again, I might use a stick.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1037186968385241148/0C37AA2B-4085-4269-9CD3-A257D9248794.jpg
Higher Definition Close-ups on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CkcNoH1pps3/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=