PDA

View Full Version : hairdressing appointment: advice?

thistledown
October 12th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Hi guys :)
I have an appointment with my hairdresser in a couple weeks, she's pretty good at listening to me but I don't want to give her free reign either!, I want to add some 'movement' to my hair-at the moment its all one length (just over hip) with bangs and I'm thinking that adding some layers in the front only and keeping the hemline blunt would maybe give it a bit more flip? Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Is there anything else I should consider instead? Is this likely to be a disaster? I guess I just want to jazz it up a bit without chopping too much length :p
Also has anyone here tried at home clear gloss treatments? Are they bad for hair?
Looking forward to thoughts ;)
Vanessa

lapushka
October 12th, 2014, 04:16 PM
If you really want your hair (significantly) shorter, then I'd say yes go to a hairdresser. Otherwise, self-trim!

thistledown
October 13th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Thanks Lapushka, but I've been to this lady before and she's really great! If I ask her to micro trim she does :) I just want to know if adding a few layers in the front (not through the body) would give my hair have more movement rather than it just hanging-or is this a myth and only works if you blow dry/style/use product! I don't want to do something I regret-but as I'm growing out dye in the length anyway it's not as bigger deal as it might usually be ;)
Vanessa

Aurum
October 13th, 2014, 12:44 AM
In my experience, hair is only bouncy when it is short, freshly cut, and/or styled. I rather like the look of hanging hair, personally. :o

thistledown
October 13th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Just what I suspected then......the adds they lie! I don't mind it hanging mostly but sometimes.......well sometimes you just want flippy bouncy hair out of a commercial :) I was one the verge of getting cut months back when the hairdresser explained that I'd need to dry this, flip that, spray this to get it looking like that- I was like nope! Wash and wear for me :)

Carolyn
October 13th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I think there is often a proportion thing. You would have bangs, your up front layers, and your long length with the rest of your hair. That can get a little odd looking. Since you don't want to lose length I would say no don't do it. If you were willing to cut off several inches and go to waist or a bit above then you could do a U shape hemline with blended up front layers. But you will probably want to style those upfront bits.