View Full Version : my first S&D experience

burny
October 12th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Just got some scissors(ATS314) and been doing some S&D the past few days. As I go through the sections, my hair is feeling way better, and less tangly. I highly recommend S&D for EVERYone with hair longer than 12-20 inches. Between S&D and oiling, I'm thinking I'll only need to wash it every 2-3months, or possibly never again! it's been 4weeks so far, and feels great. I am thinking that a significant portion of peoples troubles with tangling and "like Velcro", are due to damaged ends. Which could be easily improved with some patience/time to do some S&D.

fairy_hair
October 12th, 2014, 02:52 AM
I love S&D! :D I occasionally do it but I limit myself because I want to avoid cutting off too much length :D I usually do S&D after my monthly microtrim :3

Maelyssa
October 12th, 2014, 05:45 AM
So glad to hear of your fantastic results! I've considered it before but never tried it due to lack of time. It's great when someone shares their hair successes. :)

Madora
October 12th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Just got some scissors(ATS314) and been doing some S&D the past few days. As I go through the sections, my hair is feeling way better, and less tangly. I highly recommend S&D for EVERYone with hair longer than 12-20 inches. Between S&D and oiling, I'm thinking I'll only need to wash it every 2-3months, or possibly never again! it's been 4weeks so far, and feels great. I am thinking that a significant portion of peoples troubles with tangling and "like Velcro", are due to damaged ends. Which could be easily improved with some patience/time to do some S&D.

Glad you liked it so much, Burny! Its a good way to keep those ends in good shape.

The tangling issues could also be caused by too much buildup which makes the strands less responsive to combing or brushing.

For the sake of your scalp, be careful on going way too long without shampooing. Your scalp needs to be clean in order to produce healthy hair. Admittedly, the longest I've gone w/o washing was 3 months...but that was very unusual, even for a once a month shampooer like me.

fiğrildi
October 12th, 2014, 06:34 AM
That's so good to hear that, burny! I also love S&D method, even if sometimes a trim would be more effective :p

twiglet
October 12th, 2014, 09:10 AM
I was planning on doing an S&D session today but now I definitely will!

Eastbound&Down
October 12th, 2014, 11:41 AM
My hair isn't quite long enough in the back to do a full head S&D but I did the front half of my hair yesterday.

QMacrocarpa
October 12th, 2014, 07:56 PM
I think S&D is overrated: I'm much happier spending maybe ten minutes per year on a couple of self-trims. Self-trims don't cause me eyestrain or headaches, they're much better for my mental health, and and they keep my ends in good enough shape that my hair has gotten to its longest length ever (past waist). S&D is definitely not for everyone.

burny
October 12th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Trims only, is the way I have always gone until now. But if some hairs are damaged above the length you are cutting.. or 'new' growth hasn't grown to your hemline yet but has some damage, S&D is the only way to get those. Perhaps because my hair is so thick, the damage further up has more of an impact on the feel and tangle of my hair? Anyone have any insight into the importance of S&D for different hair types/thicknesses/etc.?
I had 1" trimmed 2weeks ago, and with about 4hours of S&D I found about 800 damaged/split ends. I would say about half of them were within a few inches of the hemline, and the rest were at various lengths throughout.

librarychick
October 12th, 2014, 10:34 PM
Is there a thread somewhere on HOW to S&D? I know it may seem obvious, but I'm a tutorial kinda girl ;)

My hair is flirting with TB length, iii thickness and a 2a (?) wave. I keep thinking I should give S&D a try...but I'm not exactly sure what to do.

burny
October 12th, 2014, 10:42 PM
tutorial wise, no clue: but here's what I learned from research.
1: make sure you have a GOOD set of scissors, specifically designed for hair. If the blade is too thick and/or dull, it will smush the hair while it cuts, causing it to split more easily(eg. 1-3weeks instead of 5-30weeks)
2: when you find a piece of damage you want to cut out, make sure you cut a little bit of extra(eg. 1/4"), because the hair immediately above the damage will be weakened by the damage
3: locating damage. There's a variety of ways, but they all have one thing in common: working a section at a time. In general though, damaged hair will be more stiff than health hair, so if you curl your hair, damaged parts will tend to stick out, making them easier to find(wrap around a finger, or just twist it like a twist braid)

Sharysa
October 13th, 2014, 12:31 AM
I love me a good S&D after my hemline reshaping--both of them take place once a month so I don't go crazy. Most of my split ends are somewhere in the middle of my hair, and I've only found a handful of split ends at the literal ends of my hair in the past three years. A trim makes my hair feel nice, but it doesn't come close to getting rid of split ends.

As for locating damage, most people 1) put their hair in finger-sized braids, or 2) do the rope-braid/twisting method for the same effect.