PDA

View Full Version : To chop or not to chop?

kelseyxface
October 11th, 2014, 10:03 PM
So I'm still suffering from bleach damage in my hair. My ends can get pretty dry - it's manageable however I've been debating on chopping it off lately. I don't want to be short and have been trying to microtrim my hair but lately I've been wondering if the damaged ends are stunting my growth. Has anyone whose done a big chop of damaged hair noticed their hair growing in considerably faster/better/etc? Or am I on the right track here and just being paranoid?

lady mechanic
October 11th, 2014, 10:13 PM
I recently had to do a complete hair overhaul. I did a big chop (apl up to shoulder length) my hair feels Sooo much better now. From what I understand, once you have damage that can't be "fixed" (deep conditioning dosnt work ect) it needs cut or the splits will go further up the hair shift resulting in even more damage. Have you tried a protien treatment? Redkin makes an amazing treatment called extreme strength builder plus it's been helping me alot with growing out my dye damage. I'd give a protien treatment a shot followed by a deep conditioner and see if that doesn't help if you haven't tried already. They key is to keep the dryness from turning into damage that will travel further up the lengths. I hope I helped a little :)

lady mechanic
October 11th, 2014, 10:16 PM
And when I cut my hair I wouldn't say it made it grow faster but it is growing healthier if that makes sense. Since my ends aren't snapping off anymore I'm actually able to retain the new length that's growing so it "seems" like it's growing faster

gustavonut
October 11th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Maybe grow it a bit then chop it when most of the virgin hair is grown out? That's my plan instead of doing another pixie. Just remember to take very good care of your scalp. CO wash if you can :)

Alien Girl
October 12th, 2014, 12:03 AM
I had 20+ inches of bleached white hair (I'm asian) and I ended up having to chop it all off. It's been two years and my hair is chopped again, up to my chin, and I think I've finally reached unbleached hair. It feels way better chopping off the unfixable hair as I go, at least for myself!

vega
October 12th, 2014, 01:37 AM
I would chop the damage off, no point in have long scragily hair,just make sure what ever you decide that you apply coconut oils to the ends it has save my hair and length,good luck

Maelyssa
October 12th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I did a big chop late this spring. I will say that it has not effected how quickly my hair grows but it has made me wish it was grown back out already lol. I know that microtrimming has worked for countless people...Nightshade has an Article on her method. I wish I had done that right now but there are benefits of a major chop. Instant hair health is definitely one of them plus you eliminate any chance of splits traveling up the hair shaft.
Good luck with your choice. If it were me again I'd maybe cut off more during a trim but I wouldn't do a major chop.

TheBlondieDream
October 12th, 2014, 08:27 AM
I'm exactly where you are.
I'm so torn that i really can't stop jumping from one decision to another.

kelseyxface
October 12th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I'm doing a protein treatment followed by the SMT deep conditioner. I think part of my reasoning for wanting to do a big chop these last 2 weeks is because I haven't done a nice deep treatment in 4 weeks. If my hair comes out feeling better than it has I'll probably hold off on a big chop but I think I might go into a salon and see if they can cut off an inch. Although doing that might inadvertently get me a big chop...lol.

Also I know the biggest concern here has been split ends traveling up my shaft and causing more damage - I usually microtrim about once a week to every two weeks, about when I start to see split ends form. So I know I don't have any damage traveling up my shaft. Ever since I henna'd my hair it's been harder to tell how much new growth is coming in based on my decremation line, and seeing as I'm microtrimming so often I can't even measure my length. I think the lack of my being able to measure hair has also contributed to this "let me chop it all off!!" mentality. :lol:

LauraLongLocks
October 12th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Go slow and deliberate on the chopping. Try 1 inch and see if that helps, along with your deep treatments. If, after a month, one inch turns out not to be enough, then go another inch. Don't take off a bunch all at once. There may be a place in the middle where you can retain more of your length, but you won't know if you chop it all off to start with.

truepeacenik
October 12th, 2014, 09:49 AM
So I'm still suffering from bleach damage in my hair. My ends can get pretty dry - it's manageable however I've been debating on chopping it off lately. I don't want to be short and have been trying to microtrim my hair but lately I've been wondering if the damaged ends are stunting my growth. Has anyone whose done a big chop of damaged hair noticed their hair growing in considerably faster/better/etc? Or am I on the right track here and just being paranoid?

By poking around, I learned your hair is somewhere in the mid back/BSL area.

How long is the damaged section?

How attached to gaining length are you right now?

How do you feel about maintaining where you are v. cutting all or part of the damage and seeing new length?

Are you just over thinking it and need to treat it well but ignore for the season?

I had what I call a big chop, from almost thumb tip to just past tailbone.
I was expecting classic, so I was a tad surprised.
Because I've been here before in a cycle. A two year cycle.
Difference is this time I'd trimmed enough myself that the salon cut got 85 percent of the damage.

So while I'm content, knowing it's like eating Brussels sprouts, needful if not thrilling, I do think of the time setback. I was eyeing knee in about 18 months or so. Now, I'm expecting three years.
But still by 50. Yay.

There's much to be said for mostly benign neglect.

Sunny_side_up
October 12th, 2014, 01:12 PM
I had my dry ends(box dye) snipped, went from apl to passing shoulder. still have dye to grow out but it definately looks & handles better. I thought growth was poor in the last few months, realized the ends were breaking off so turned to coconut oil, did an egg treatment too, seemed to get growth. Was because of better ends, but went for a good few inches off as the tangles annoyed me. Micro trims for me from now on.

chomsky
October 12th, 2014, 01:44 PM
I've recently cut off 7 (7+ in some parts) inches of damage off, it was a massive shock at first - went from APL to about neck. The way I saw it was, the hair has to come off anyway and I'd rather go short and have nice healthy hair grow long, then long hair with limp ends. Your hair won't grow any faster but you will have more length retention since the hair won't be breaking off.

It is all up to you, though, just make sure you're definitely want to cut (what do you want now? Long hair or bleach-free?). Hope you find a solution! :)

Panth
October 12th, 2014, 02:47 PM

I don't see how damage could prevent your hair from growing in. Of course, damaged ends may weather more, resulting in no visible length-gain because the damage weathers away as fast as new stuff grows in. However, that's quite different from preventing new growth.

I guess it depends what you want - do you mind going short again? do you mind babying damaged hair? how bad does the damaged bit look, and are you ok with having hair that looks like that? etc.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 12th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Go slow and deliberate on the chopping. Try 1 inch and see if that helps, along with your deep treatments. If, after a month, one inch turns out not to be enough, then go another inch. Don't take off a bunch all at once. There may be a place in the middle where you can retain more of your length, but you won't know if you chop it all off to start with.

I would second this advice, but then I hate losing length, so it is what I would do. If your damage is really bad and you feel that your hair is pretty unmanageable as it is, then perhaps chop more. But I would try smaller trims to begin with and see if that will help.

kelseyxface
October 13th, 2014, 11:21 AM
truepeacenik - well the bleach "damage" it's self starts about an inch from my scalp all the way down to my tips. But it's really only the last inch of my tips thats dry and angry looking. Doing a protein and a deep treatment helped, and I tried to LOC method yesterday as well and my ends really seemed to enjoy that.

I'm also pretty attached to the length - I've had to do 3 big chops in the last 3 years. The first one had I know about LHC and how to properly take care of my hair I probably could have saved a lot of length and just microtrimmed it out. Went from my longest to my shortest length thanks to my hair dresser. The second one was a friend of mine doing my hair who insisted on giving me layers against my will. And the third was most recently because I was growing said layers out and realized I had to cut off the "rat tail" I had growing. (my longest bottom layer was a good 2-3 inches longer than the rest of my hair and really made me look like a bum). So I'm pretty attached to my length.

I think ultimately I will not do a big chop though. A lot of you have given me some useful information. I was always under the idea that trimming damaged ends made your hair come in faster, but I guess it's all just an illusion. (: I'll just deal with the angry ends as they become a problem and try to keep up with deep treatments and the LOC method in the mean time to keep the rest of the bleached bits from turning out as damaged. Thanks guys for saving my (sad) length!

Oh and I keep hearing about benign neglect - any "official" threads on this? I feel like the longest length I had before my first big chop was thanks to benign neglect.

Nymphea
October 13th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Benign neglect is a great recipe for growing! ;)

When I started to do some benign neglecting, I found myself very surprised and excited with the length I gained in the meantime. But it just had to happen - I was not able to neglect my hair just like that - I think that when I reached some solid goal (for me it was TBL) I just calmed down and started to enjoy my hair really.

In your place I would chose between the two options:
1. microtrimming or just doing a 1-inch trims when I feel the need for it
2. do a "half-chop" - cut just a half of the damage - it sometime helps me. I prepare myself for the loss of length and then I cut just a half of the length amount that I previously planned.

Good luck! :)

hanne jensen
October 14th, 2014, 03:07 AM
In July last year I chopped from can I call this waist to above APL due to damage around APL. My hair started to grow like a weed. I went 43 weeks with no trims and got 5 cm trimmed off in the end of June. Last month I called BSL. The first time I hit BSL it took almost 5 years. This time around it took 15 months. Of course I wish I had hair to the floor yesterday, but that chop was the best thing I could do for my hair.

idiay
October 14th, 2014, 03:33 AM
don't do itttttt! :p

Kherome
October 14th, 2014, 06:39 AM
I always say err in favor of the chop. I don't ascribe to the "keep the length at all costs!" theory because frankly if it's damaged it needs to go. It's hair, it comes back, and damaged hair looks terrible. I wouldn't want it on my head, so that is my personal take on it.

ReneeG
October 14th, 2014, 03:08 PM
I am so glad for this thread! I am in the same boat, although not so severely. Virgin roots are about 3 inches or so, with minor bleach damage from highlights, and then 1-2.5 inches of more serious bleach damage (length depending on canopy or under layer due to new layers cut in recently). I just hit BSL for the first time EVER and have been growing it dedicatedly for 8 months (haven't bleached in 4.5 months and don't plan to ever again) so I'm pretty attached to the length, but HATE the bleach damaged ends! There aren't a lot of splits as I S&D pretty thoroughly about once a month (I somehow have a pretty thick hemline despite the layers), but they are just dry and nearly crunchy....

I had been considering chopping but after reading all this I think I'll just continue my S&D regimen and cut that full 1-2.5 inches (with light layering) for the New Year so as to keep damage down until I can get a little more length, and then make a good big difference in my ends. Il just have to do so e good protein and moisture treatments in the meantime as well!

ReneeG
October 14th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Multiple post