PDA

View Full Version : How to Do the Inverted Fake Lace Crown Braid

Madora
October 11th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Preliminaries:
1 Bring all hair in front of you, like a curtain
2 Detangle hair thoroughly with wide tooth comb
3 Make sure hair is straight and has no bumps from back to front
Begin to braid - (head slightly lowered)
1 Take a small section of hair from just in front of the right ear and about 1 inch IN from the front of your head. You want to preserve a small band of hair in the front of the actual lace braid.
2 Divide your hair in 3 sections. Check for tangles!
3 Make ONE complete crossover - that is: right strands over CENTER strands, HOLD, RAKE)
then LEFT strands over center strands, HOLD, RAKE
4 Right strands over CENTER strands, HOLD, RAKE
5 Carve a small section of hair down your head (back to front). You are working on hair that is to your LEFT SIDE. Add that section you just carved to the CENTER SECTION of the braid you just started. Pinch the CENTER section to hold in place, RAKE all strands to keep them separate!
6 Take RIGHT section and bring it over CENTER SECTION. PINCH center section to hold in place,
RAKE all strands to keep them separate!
7 CARVE a small section of hair down your head. You are working on hair that is to your LEFT side. Add the section you just carved to the CENTER SECTION of the braid you are working on. PINCH CENTER SECTION, RAKE all strands to keep them separate!
8 Take RIGHT SECTION and bring it over CENTER SECTION. PINCH center section to hold in place, RAKE all strands to keep them separate.
Continue working in this way, always ADDING hair from your LEFT to the Center Section, until you reach just in front of your left ear. Stop lace braiding.
FINISHING the lace braid in front - stop lace braiding when you reach the top of your other ear.
Gather all your hair in one hand, gently detangle and then divide hair in 3 sections. Dutch braid the remaining hair. The first crossover should be snug, to help avoid any saging where the braid technique changes from lace braiding to regular dutch/english braiding.
Braid to end. Fasten with hair friendly elastic.
Take the braid and direct it around the back of your head and up to where you started the lace braiding. Tuck the tassle under the lace braiding section.
Secure with crimped hairpins! Voila! You have created the fake lace crown braid (fake, because only the FRONT is a lace crown braid. The rest is a single Dutch/English braid.
** TIPS ** Hold your hands/elbows UP while braiding! You are trying to lift your hair up, ever so slightly. Braid a little loosely! The center section should be pulled ever so slightly more than the other 2 strands. Don't pull hard!
Keep your fingers IN your hair, close to the scalp, while you are braiding.
Once you reach the middle of your forehead area, begin to turn your head slightly to the RIGHT and angle the braid towards the back of your head. http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/101114Invertedfakelacecrownbraiddiagramresized.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/101114Invertedfakelacecrownbraiddiagramresized.jpg .html) http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/101114Invertedfakelacebraidcrown_edited-1.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/101114Invertedfakelacebraidcrown_edited-1.jpg.html)http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/9914Fauxlacecrownbraidinfront.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/9914Fauxlacecrownbraidinfront.jpg.html) Sorry for wall of text! I sure didn't type it that way!

Special Note! The lace crown braid on the mannequin looks like it is hugging her hairline. It is NOT supposed to look like that. The lace crown is supposed to sit back ..an inch IN from the edge of the hairline. I couldn't manipulate the hair as I would have liked.

hennalonghair
October 11th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Wow! How stunning! Not only are you fabulous at doing your hair but your tutorials are awesome. They are so detailed and precise. Thank you Madora!

Madora
October 11th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Wow! How stunning! Not only are you fabulous at doing your hair but your tutorials are awesome. They are so detailed and precise. Thank you Madora!

The pleasure was all mine, Hennalonghair! I wish the braiding could have been more precise..but that doll mannequin has hair from Hell. It is thick as all get out, slippery as a fish, and my hands couldn't handle it (got my arthritis riled up).

Hope to have another tutorial for the inverted looped braid up in a week or so. That one is a lot easier!

hennalonghair
October 11th, 2014, 09:03 PM
The pleasure was all mine, Hennalonghair! I wish the braiding could have been more precise..but that doll mannequin has hair from Hell. It is thick as all get out, slippery as a fish, and my hands couldn't handle it (got my arthritis riled up).

Hope to have another tutorial for the inverted looped braid up in a week or so. That one is a lot easier!
Haha! Doll with hair from Hell :lol: I giggle just thinking of you styling your Dolly's hair.
Geezzzz! Like YOUR hair isn't enough to do . ;)

I can certainly understand the strain it takes off the forearms. With these styles you are going with the flow of the hair. Brilliant !

Madora
October 11th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Haha! Doll with hair from Hell :lol: I giggle just thinking of you styling your Dolly's hair.
Geezzzz! Like YOUR hair isn't enough to do . ;)

I can certainly understand the strain it takes off the forearms. With these styles you are going with the flow of the hair. Brilliant !

Yes, if you can work with gravity, so much better than fighting with muscle burn when you stand erect and try to French or Dutch braid! You CAN actually lace braid all around your head with the inversion method. I did it many times, but things changed in my muscle strength over a 2 year period, so i just adapted from all around the head lace braiding to front of head only lace braiding, and the remainder plain braided. Anything to enjoy my braided crown, which is my favorite hairstyle!

hennalonghair
October 11th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Yes, if you can work with gravity, so much better than fighting with muscle burn when you stand erect and try to French or Dutch braid! You CAN actually lace braid all around your head with the inversion method. I did it many times, but things changed in my muscle strength over a 2 year period, so i just adapted from all around the head lace braiding to front of head only lace braiding, and the remainder plain braided. Anything to enjoy my braided crown, which is my favorite hairstyle!
Yes styling French braids on long thick hair can be very hard on the arms so really its something every woman should consider if they wish to still have long hair when they are older. It's not something you really think about until you are older and your arms just start giving out.
Anyway I'm hogging your thread.
Thanks again Madora!
Great tutorial!

Horrorpops
October 12th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Madora this looks amazing! Such a detailed and thorough tutorial! Thank you :)

Madora
October 12th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Madora this looks amazing! Such a detailed and thorough tutorial! Thank you :)

You're welcome, Horrorpops! Thanks for commenting!

LongCurlyTress
October 12th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Hi Madora! Excellent directions!! And beautiful pics! Thank you for posting this (but you always post really cool good stuff!! ;)
XXXOOO:joy:

lillielil
December 22nd, 2015, 08:05 AM
I'm bumping this because A) it is awesome and B) I have a question.

When adding to the center strand, I find that when the center strand is then crossed under the right side strand (the one closest to the hairline), the newly added hair is nice and snug. However, when it is crossed under the left side strand, it ends up baggy, which I think is because it's going back toward the loose hair without being locked down by any braid cross-overs first. How can I fix this? Should I only be adding hair to the pieces that are about to be crossed under the right strand?

My hair is nowhere near long enough to actually complete this style, but I want to be ready when it is!

pastina
December 22nd, 2015, 07:03 PM
I'm with you until the point where I always lose hairstyles like this-- securing the tassel! It doesn't seem to matter what I do, I can never get my tassel to stay where I pin it, so the entire thing falls down. :doh: What am I doing wrong!!

lunasea
December 22nd, 2015, 09:01 PM
I have the same problem Pastina...that, and a cowlick in the back that always seems to give me a bald spot when I do these no matter how hard I try.

lillielil
December 23rd, 2015, 07:05 AM
I gave it a try this morning. After a few failed attempts, I ended up doing a Dutch braid from ear to ear, with most of the hair being added from the back and just a tiny bit being added from the front. I think I will need about 3 more inches to get the tail to wrap around, and 7 or 8 more to get it to reach the beginning of the braid with a reasonable thickness (layers + taper from damage make for pretty severe braid shred and thinning).

I honestly don't know how Madora is doing this with a lace braid. The instructions seem SO clear, but something about it is just not clicking for me.