PDA

View Full Version : Freaking about hair and heading to Superdrug/Boots - what to buy to help me?

longishhair
October 11th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Hi everyone,

So I'm still at the same length - my routine has turned into mainly COing, with a few rare shampooings (sulfate free 50% of the time), and using a leave-in consisting of t*g* e*o b*st, lavender essential oil and castor/grapeseed oil after every wash.

My hair looks fabulous since I started mainly COing, but my scalp has started to itch like crazy in the past few days. To alleviate the itch, I washed my hair with liberal amounts of HE shampoo a couple days ago, which lessened the itch considerably, then did another wash with sulfate free shampoo which made the situation even better. But I want to get rid of the itch completely because scratching makes me lose hair despite my shedding having decreased drastically since I started COing, and because my hair hasn't grown noticeably since starting to CO, I'm getting worried.

I'd love longer hair, irrespective of the growth speed, and itch-free scalp. Any suggestions as to what I could buy?

Thanks

MiamiPineapple
October 11th, 2014, 06:50 PM
If the sulfate free shampoo is working for you, why don't you use that and a deep conditioner, maybe every 3 days or so? Also, scalp massages with tea tree oil are amazing for scalp itch. Lastly, My hair has grown a lot since I started using a BB brush. it is much shinier.

longishhair
October 11th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I use a TT and love it. Do you have suggestions as to which deep conditioner I should get?

battles
October 11th, 2014, 07:16 PM
If CO is making you itchy, you could try WCC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119314) with sulfate free shampoo.

Panth
October 12th, 2014, 06:14 AM
Has your scalp itching been prompted by a change in routine, or have you been doing CO successfully for a while before this started to happen?

If the latter, I'd not change my routine at all, but I'd go to the doctor. It's entirely possible that you've recently developed a scalp condition (e.g. seborrheic dermatitis, characterised by itching then in more severe cases a cradle-cap like dandruff and shedding that can become very severe). Alternatively, the essential oils may not be a good idea.

nakima
October 12th, 2014, 02:39 PM
when my scalp used to get itchy I used a product called scalpicin. It helped me and is very soothing. I hope you find something that works for you.

lapushka
October 13th, 2014, 07:09 AM
I'd love longer hair, irrespective of the growth speed, and itch-free scalp. Any suggestions as to what I could buy?

If CO gives you the itchies, then ditch CO. I know I can't CO due to seborrheic dermatitis, so I stick with harsher cleansers which is what my scalp *needs*. I say it all the time, it's not about what you want for your hair, it's about what your hair wants.

Gertrude
October 13th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Itching means your scalp is unhappy. As bacteria break down the acid mantle on your skin over time the itching starts. There are lots of gentle shampoos in Boots and Superdrug (more affordable in the latter) and I CWC and my hair is very happy and so is my scalp. I can last until day 4 and sometimes 5 but once I feel the itching begin I shampoo on day 4.

I have noticed a huge positive difference in my length and ends since I began to CWC. So you can have many of the CO washing benefits that way.

longishhair
October 11th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Update:

My routine:
In one year, I have used one bottle of shampoo.
CO twice a week.
Comb/style using a WTC and a TT.
Air dry.
Wear hair in a bun using spin pins or open.

Hair doesn't seem to have grown much (an inch perhaps?), but it looks worlds better compared to last year. Soft, glossy, no split ends.
If it gets itchy (once a month at most), a thorough warm wash with water and gentle brushing of the scalp with the TT gets rid of the itch.

Agnieszka
October 12th, 2015, 03:20 AM
If it still itches and TT doesn't help then I would just use Nizoral shampoo but only wash your scalp, leave it for 5 min and that should help. I know Nizoral sounds harsh, but sometimes scalp needs a proper anti fungal wash.

Theobroma
October 12th, 2015, 03:23 AM
If CO gives you the itchies, then ditch CO. I know I can't CO due to seborrheic dermatitis, so I stick with harsher cleansers which is what my scalp *needs*. I say it all the time, it's not about what you want for your hair, it's about what your hair wants.

Yes, this. One of the effects CO had for me -- apart from the ridiculously heavy shedding that built up by tiny increments over time so that I didn't notice it until I'd already lost about 40% of my thickness -- was a persistently itchy scalp at the nape. I'd never had scalp issues before and haven't had them either since quitting CO, but it took several months for the problem to clear up. I suspect that if I'd persisted with CO I'd have given myself a case of SD or some other scalp problem. In addition to winding up bald, of course. :S

longishhair
October 12th, 2015, 03:51 AM
If it still itches and TT doesn't help then I would just use Nizoral shampoo but only wash your scalp, leave it for 5 min and that should help. I know Nizoral sounds harsh, but sometimes scalp needs a proper anti fungal wash.

As written, TT does get rid of the itch and it happens less than once a month. So not a problem.

lapushka
October 12th, 2015, 06:08 AM
As written, TT does get rid of the itch and it happens less than once a month. So not a problem.

If it's truly gone, then okay, but if it's recurring, then it needs fixing for real. Maybe that's not what you want to hear, but...

longishhair
October 12th, 2015, 06:59 AM
If it's truly gone, then okay, but if it's recurring, then it needs fixing for real. Maybe that's not what you want to hear, but...

I know what my hair needs and don't need to be mothered, thank you.

Arctic
October 12th, 2015, 07:33 AM
If your hair hasn't grown significantly in years, would it be possible you are nearing your terminal lenght? How does your hemline look; does it fairytail strongly, or is it blunt and thick?

longishhair
October 12th, 2015, 06:21 PM
If your hair hasn't grown significantly in years, would it be possible you are nearing your terminal lenght? How does your hemline look; does it fairytail strongly, or is it blunt and thick?

It could be that it's at terminal length with fairytale ends. I'm very careful with it, but as I have never done anything to get a blunt/U/V shaped hemline, it could very well be that it's at its longest :(.