PDA

View Full Version : Cinnabun with a stick?

LauraLongLocks
October 11th, 2014, 05:36 PM
If you know how to secure a cinnabun with a stick, I would love to hear how you do it. I can only get it secured with spin-pins or hair pins (if I am lucky). Sticks just don't hold it for me. And if you do it with a stick, then how do you keep it from the bee-butt bun look? Mine always seems to revert to bee-butt bun.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 11th, 2014, 05:41 PM
I haven't been able to manage it either. The only way I can think of which might work is to make the first coil, insert the stick and then continue coiling the remainder of the hair behind the stick. Possibly needing a pin to hold the end underneath the coil. if that makes any sense.

Have you tried it that way?

kaydana
October 11th, 2014, 05:48 PM
They only really work with pairs for me. The way I do it is to hold the coils flat against my head as I make it, then I insert the first stick through the outer coil -> scalp hair -> outer coil, and the second stick through the outer coil -> inner coil -> outer coil. First stick holds the bun to your head, second holds the coils together.

BonnieU
October 11th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Well I never wear a cinnabun with sticks as lwb's just tend to work better, but reading this thread made me interested in attempting and it actually works! I'm only just grazing bsl, but I used the classic flip and stick method, which pulled on the top so it was not very comfortable....but it holds!

Quixii
October 11th, 2014, 06:01 PM
I always do my cinnabuns with a stick. Like JJJ's tutorial (http://youtu.be/aQ9d4nidc0Y), I just stick it in the first twist.

Aurum
October 11th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I found out a way somewhere, now if I could just remember how, exactly. :confused:

Chromis
October 11th, 2014, 06:39 PM
They only really work with pairs for me. The way I do it is to hold the coils flat against my head as I make it, then I insert the first stick through the outer coil -> scalp hair -> outer coil, and the second stick through the outer coil -> inner coil -> outer coil. First stick holds the bun to your head, second holds the coils together.

This is exactly the method I use as well. One still doesn't hold for cinnabuns at all, I need the second too and they work best if I position the first between 1-2 o'clock and the second between 10-11 o'clock if you were looking at them on a clockface.

Aderyn
October 11th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Interesting. I haven't really had an issue with one hairstick holding a cinnabun.

Possible suggestions:
Try to get the bun as flat as possible.
Try to go through as many coils as you can to prevent the bee-butt effect.
- Insert the stick through the top/first loop instead of on the outside loop (depends how many coils you have, though - works for only or two coils I think)
- What I do: Insert the stick through the outer loop, push under the bun, then try to weave in and out (or just catch some hair) of the inner coils and catch the scalp hair as you push the stick through the rest of the cinnabun.

ETA: Experimenting with different insertion location may also help.

ETA2: Yup, inserting the stick through the outer loop than catching hair from the inner loops and the scalp gives me an incredibly stable cinnabun with just one hair stick

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13768&d=1413080912

LauraLongLocks
October 11th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I'll give all these suggestions a try. Thank you everyone!

sourgrl
October 11th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Thank you for bringing this up, LLL. I'm a bit of a failure when it comes to sticking a cinnabun and use ficcares exclusively for that style. Looking forward to giving these tips a try :)

neko_kawaii
October 11th, 2014, 09:23 PM
I have managed a cinnabun on a handful of occasions with one stick (two is much better). Similar to the directions Kaydana gave, I make sure the stick goes through the outer coil, scalp, inmost coil, scalp, outer coil. If I miss the center coil it will fall apart from the center.

To prevent a Bee Butt forming I make sure each additional coil lays next to the first (placing the coils where I want them rather than wrapping tightly around and around) and hold them firmly flat with one hand until all is secured.

StellaKatherine
October 12th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I manage only with a fork ( two prong one ). But I guess with two sticks would be same thing. One stick isn't enough for me, or my skills are not good enough ;)

lapushka
October 13th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Well, mine's too short to coil around a lot, so it's quite easy to secure, it's just 1 coil, basically. It does sag quickly, though. I'm just not ready for a cinnabun yet. :shrug: