PDA

View Full Version : motor oil and healthy hair? I need some help :'(

lady mechanic
October 11th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Hello everyone! I'm brand new here and after browsing a long time I finally decided to take the plunge and join! A little about me... my name is andie. I'm 27 years young. I currently have shoulder length type 2a very fine hair. I just made the switch from chemical dyes to henna about a month ago. About two months ago I started taking biotin. I'm trying to grow my hair long but there's just one problem.... I'm a mechanic. I work in a fast oil change place which puts me under a car getting engine oil and other various automotive fluids in my hair every day. I use a deep conditioner once a week sometimes twice I use a protien treatment every two weeks and I use a good high quality moisture shampoo and conditioner. I never blowdry and I only straighten about twice a month always with a heat protector. I alternate between a moisture leave in and protien treatment. I'm really new to this growing long healthy hair. My problem is working where I do I HAVE to shampoo my hair almost every day to wash out the car fluids. Can someone like me still grow long hair even though I have to shampoo almost every day? I also clarify weekly to make sure all the motor oil is out then deep condition. Also do I have to clarify every time I want to use my deep conditoner or protien treatment? I'm so confused :( every where I go I year "don't wash your hair every day it's so bad!" But unless it's my day off or I'm lucky enough to not be working under a car (which isn't often) it's really not an option for me. Does anyone out there have any advice? I'd really appreciate any tips anyone can give me! Thank you so much for taking the time to read :)

lapushka
October 11th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Do you wear your hair up? Try putting a bandana over your do, if you don't already. Straightening twice a month might be an issue. I'd check your hair for white dots, most assuredly. And if there are any, try and go without the straightening. If you must choose between straightening and blowdrying, go with blowdrying (on warm/cool). Much less damaging. If you must wash every day, there's no getting out from under it. It is what it is. And yes, there are people with really long hair who wash daily. It's a personal choice.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! :)

lady mechanic
October 11th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Thank you so much! I do have to wear my hair up for work I put it in a claw clip. On my days off i just leave it down and finger detangle i rarely use a hair brush. I never thought of a bandanna before I will defiantly give it a try!

LauraLongLocks
October 11th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I would keep it up and covered with something at work. With fine hair, any kind of damaging practice will likely show up quick. I would stop the flat ironing and embrace your natural texture. Shampooing frequently can be harsh on your hair, but if you combat that with plenty of conditioning it will help offset the frequent shampooing. Good luck and welcome!

Panth
October 11th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Welcome!

I would definitely consider a bandana. Even better, try a buff (http://www.buffwear.co.uk/buff-adult-headwear/original-buff). Those are purposely designed for outdoorsy, hard-working sort of situations and are very protective. You can also wear them in lots of ways and can fit even a large bun under if you position the bun at the nape of the neck. So, they'll continue to work for you as your hair grows. It'd be much better to wash your bandana/buff daily and your hair less often (if possible). That said, remember that all the recommendations for "oh, don't wash your hair daily!" are for people with office jobs - if you have a job where you actually get dirt in your hair, then wash it as often as you need to! Those recommendations are not for farmers, mechanics, factory workers, etc. They are for the average joe who mistakenly thinks sebum (the hair's natural oil) is "dirt".

For getting the oil out, consider washing with conditioner. I don't know how well it'd work, but conditioner is often recommended for removing oil treatments (food oils like coconut, olive, etc.), especially when someone's mistakenly put far too much on. Oil dissolves much better in conditioner than in shampoo (and, contrary to popular belief) most conditioners do contain cleansing agents.

Other things in your routine:
- I'd try to cut out the straightener if possible - heat protectants are, in general, just 'cone-heavy leave-ins that improve the look of hair and hide the damage. You're doing permanent, irreversible damage that will (sooner or later) become visible and problematic. If you've already got dye-damaged, fine, thin and delicate hair, you really do not want to be doing anything more that will make the damage and thinness worse.

- Be very careful with biotin. There's an awful lot of downright harmful advice on the internet about it and absolutely no real evidence that it causes improved hair growth (but plenty of evidence that it can cause cystic (i.e. scarring) acne, migraines and even kidney failure). You may find this a useful read (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.co.uk/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html).

- You'll probably find this excellent thread on buns (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126891)helpful. A cinnabun under your buff when at work would be very protective - you could use mini spinpins or claw clips. Especially as you're growing out damage, protective styling is going to be your friend.

- You may need to optimise your routine. Also, be aware that as you are growing out damage, your hair's needs are probably going to change and the needs of the bit damaged by chemical dye are probably going to be quite different to the virgin+henna bits. There are several threads of support/advice for growing out damage where you can get tips. In general (and I presume you used demi-permanent or permanent (i.e. with developers) and/or first did a bleach treatment?), dye/bleach-damaged hair, especially fine dye/bleach-damaged hair, requires patch-repairing ingredients and ingredients that will help improve shine, reduce tangles and increase slip. E.g. 'cones (patch-repair, pro-slip, pro-shine, anti-static, anti-tangle), protein (patch-repair, helps strengthen "gummy" over-processed hair, depending on formulation can penetrate), ceramides (helps replace the natural "cement" that holds the hair cuticle flat), panthenol (a humectant, helps retain moisture but don't use in dry environments). Also, consider penetrating oils (e.g. coconut), natural humectants (honey, aloe vera gel) and coating oils (help reduce moisture loss when used on wet/damp hair).

lady mechanic
October 11th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Wow panth! So much great advice thank you SO much for sharing it with me! The buff definitely sounds like what I need! I never knew about protective styles and coconut oil I'll certainly be giving it a go now. I also didn't know conditoner could clean hair. Next time I get oil in it I'll give that a try too I hope it works! I can't thank everyone enough for all the helpful advice!

LadyLongLocks
October 11th, 2014, 12:52 PM
To block fluids falling on your hair, wear a thin shower cap and then a scarf or bandana over it. I use those when I deep condition. A bowl cover made of thin plastic works good too. Super light weight, yet it will protect your hair.

Nini
October 11th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Ditch the bandanna, get a couple of buff's!

I'm a farmer, and I wear a buff, with a cap on top. It keeps my hair away from heavy machinery, and unless I'm going somewhere very swanky I stretch my washes. Plus the shade help keep the cow's tail out of my eyes;)

I braid my hair and wear it in a low bun secured with a scrunchie under all this. When my hair was much shorter I just wore the cap and folded the braid around my head however far it'd go.

Nini
October 11th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Computer glitch, double post

SkyChild
October 11th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Lots of good advice here.
I'd back up what Panth says.
Engine oil in your hair is going to do a lot more damage to your hair and scalp than shampooing daily.
Try Torrinpaige's youtube video on how to wash your hair properly so that your washing is minimally damaging (it really helps, trust me!)
Good luck!

Madora
October 11th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I'm sure you'll find plenty of inspiration watching Torrin's You Tube videos!

As far as wearing your buff, that's a great tip. However, every so many hours, take off your buff to allow air to circulate through your scalp. Scalp needs to breath too! Happy growing!

spidermom
October 11th, 2014, 07:19 PM
I'd definitely keep my hair covered in a situation like that, even with a shower cap if I didn't have anything else. Automotive fluids in my hair? No way; Anything but that!

Panth
October 12th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Wow panth! So much great advice thank you SO much for sharing it with me! The buff definitely sounds like what I need! I never knew about protective styles and coconut oil I'll certainly be giving it a go now. I also didn't know conditoner could clean hair. Next time I get oil in it I'll give that a try too I hope it works! I can't thank everyone enough for all the helpful advice!

Protective styles are great and (well, at least if I was you) they'd be great for your work, where I suspect you want something plain, out of the way and easy to do.

With the coconut oil, do be careful. Less is most definitely more with that! Also, some people's hair just straight up doesn't like it (or is very fussy about how it is applied - long, heavy application immediately before washing vs. lighter application on damp hair vs. lighter application on dry hair vs. application to ends only, etc.). However, lots of people do like it.

This is good advice too:

As far as wearing your buff, that's a great tip. However, every so many hours, take off your buff to allow air to circulate through your scalp. Scalp needs to breath too! Happy growing!

I suspect your scalp will get plenty of air when you're not at work, though. If it was me, I'd just wear the buff at work and when I got home / on my days off I'd wear my hair in a style that I found attractive (be that loose, braided, bunned, whatever) without any covering. At shoulder length, you probably don't need to wear protective styles all the time (unless your dye damage really is great). However, they'll be great for keeping your hair up and out of the way when you work.

kelseyxface
October 12th, 2014, 09:51 AM
the only reason why shampooing everyday is harsh on hair is because of sulfates. (: Try buying some sulfate free shampoos like 100% pure (online only), John Masters Organics (whole foods stocks this), Shea moisture (might be too heavy for your hair, but you never know. available at Ulta), and fundamental earth (cheaper if you buy through amazon, online only. very nourishing for the hair.). Good luck!

mz_butterfly
October 12th, 2014, 10:49 AM
When I first read the thread title, I thought you were using "clean" motor oil as some kind of a treatment.

Used motor oil in your hair and on your scalp is a big no no. All of the carcinogens in used motor oil is horrifying. Your skin is also your biggest organ, scalp is skin. So close to your brain, scary thought.

I didn't read all of the replies so, I am hoping that I don't echo the advice given.

I did see buffs and bandanas, yes! I would also go as far as to oil or condition my hair and then but on a buff, or two and a cap of come sort. A close fitting cap, without a bill. (the bill gets in the way and hits things, especially when you are so close to the vehicle underneath, changing fluids and such. I just did a quick search of a welders cap, the bill doesn't stick out, it points downward. You could even wear the "bill" portion in the back.

http://www.seton.com/welding-accessories-389.html?keycode=WS0194&mkwid=2STR1zng&pcrid=53929406402&pdv=c&gclid=COmdot3Gp8ECFZKHaQodApEA4w

Even a knit cap would be better than nothing. I would do everything I could to keep used motor oil from getting in my hair and on that delicate scalp skin. Putting oil or conditioner on your hair is forming a barrier and will keep the hair from absorbing the other fluids that come into contact with it.

I know that changing oil is a dirty job, my SO used to be an oil change technician. His hair was horrid. We went through a lot of shampoo when he had that job.

I hope you find a more suitable solution. If you do get bandanas, they sell Jumbo ones that are 27" x 27" versus the normal size of 20" x 20". I could never make those normal sized ones work properly. They are just too small. Amazon.com or Ebay both sell the Jumbo ones. Just do a search.

There are off brand buffs at Ebay for $1 each including shipping. They come from China, take 2-3 weeks to arrive but they are cheap, do the job and they have lots of designs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Use-Scarf-Snood-Neck-Head-Wear-Bandanas-Tube-Mask-Snood-Cap-Warmer-TJS3001-/151300719312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=450423778786&hash=item233a39c2d0

If you do your own search at Ebay, look for headwear or multi scarf.

mz_butterfly
October 12th, 2014, 10:56 AM
When you go home to wash your hair, slather your hair in conditioner and let it sit while you're doing other things to get ready for your bath/shower. Thus, the conditioner is giving you a deep condition, loosening oil, dirt and gunk from your hair and readying it for cleansing.

Chromis
October 12th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I often see Buffs at camping stores for an immediate solution. Another idea that might work as a headcovering would be a pony scrub. Since they are meant as medical scrubs, they would be hold up really well to frequent washing!

lady mechanic
October 12th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Boss said no buffs or bandannas allowed :, ( but he did say I can wear a beanie/ thick knitted cap so long as it has company logo on it and he gave me one. I'm going to try that with a shower cap underneath so he can't see it haha. Loving the sulfate free idea. Currently I have a low sulfate (but not sulfate free) shampoo. I did alot of work and alot of cutting to get my hair healthy albeit short for now so my main focus is keeping it healthy so it grows better. Thank you all sooooo much for all the advice!

Nini
October 12th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Too bad he won't go for the buff, maybe you should try to lean on him regarding that if it's possible.

I don't think I'd bother with a shower cap in addition to the beanie/cap. It sounds like an uncomfortable combo it you get warm.

Panth
October 12th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Boss said no buffs or bandannas allowed :, ( but he did say I can wear a beanie/ thick knitted cap so long as it has company logo on it and he gave me one. I'm going to try that with a shower cap underneath so he can't see it haha. Loving the sulfate free idea. Currently I have a low sulfate (but not sulfate free) shampoo. I did alot of work and alot of cutting to get my hair healthy albeit short for now so my main focus is keeping it healthy so it grows better. Thank you all sooooo much for all the advice!

Aww, pity about the buff. However, I'd give the beanie a try. I wouldn't bother with a shower cap underneath - I agree with Nini, it sounds like it'd be uncomfortable and overly warm. Perhaps try to get your boss to give you two hats with the logo on, so that you can keep them regularly washed? You could argue it for "looking presentable" rather than "helping my hair grow". :)

Sulphate-free may be a good idea, or as I said before, conditioner-only washing (there's a massive thread about it (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898)) as you want to principally remove oil.

Depending on what conditioner you use (and what your water's like), you may need to be a bit careful about going sulphate free. Most regular conditioners contain 'cones (a really handy ingredient that has lots of good properties, but that some people's hair doesn't like and a lot of people are very misinformed about). Regular 'cones (e.g. dimethicone) cannot be removed by most sulphate-free shampoos (the exception being ones that use cocoamidopropyl betaine as the cleanser). If you don't remove 'cones, you can eventually suffer from product build-up which is an annoying condition that causes limp, dull, tangly and annoying hair. This is completely reversible by using a clarifying shampoo, but as clarifying shampoos are harsh it's best to design a routine that means you only have to use them occasionally.

To do that, either a) use sulphate-containing shampoos (either neat or, if you are concerned about them, you can reduce their harshness by chosing the less-harsh sulphates (SLES, ALS, ALES rather than SLS) or by using the shampoo diluted in water); b) use sulphate-free shampoos containing cocoamidopropyl betaine, which can remove all 'cones just as well as sulphates; c) use 'cones that don't build up quickly, e.g. build-up resistant 'cones like amodimethicones or water-soluble 'cones like PEG-cones; d) avoid 'cones as well as sulphates. In any of these cases (even without 'cones, as 'cones are not the only product that can build up) you'll probably need to clarify occasionally (and, if your water is hard, also chelate to remove mineral build-up). However, with a well-designed routine you will not have to clarify excessively - e.g. you'd do it somewhere between once a month and once a year.

SkyChild
October 12th, 2014, 02:50 PM
The beanie will definitely help, my sister used to wear one when she was working as a mechanic.
Because of the thick, tight knit, it doesn't let much through!