PDA

View Full Version : Organic vs. Non-Organic EVOO?

Georgii
October 10th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I saw organic extra-virgin olive oil in the store the other day. Has anyone tried this and noticed any difference with standard EVOOs?

The organic is a bit more expensive for my student budget (haha) so I was hoping to get some insight before buying! :)

Georgii
October 10th, 2014, 09:22 PM
I just realized that this thread may be in the completely wrong section of TLHC forums... forgive me, I'm new!

sarahthegemini
October 11th, 2014, 04:56 PM
The hair doesn't care if the oil is organic or not
Save your money :p

Knifegill
October 11th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Most olive oil is just soybean oil and corn oil and other trash oils. Olive oils from California tend to be the real thing, look for cloudiness and sediment. Also, Costco has an olive oil that tests pure every time.

sarahthegemini
October 11th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Most olive oil is just soybean oil and corn oil and other trash oils. Olive oils from California tend to be the real thing, look for cloudiness and sediment. Also, Costco has an olive oil that tests pure every time.

Or look at the ingredients and see if it says pure olive oil?...

kelseyxface
October 11th, 2014, 09:00 PM
I usually buy USDA organic because it guarantees that wherever the oil was made/grown there was no pesticides or other nasties used which I don't want to put on my scalp and hair. It also ensures that it's pure oil. Most places that receive the USDA seal of approval take great pride in their products and make them top end quality and I just appreciate putting something with that much love and thought into my hair. The above listed reasons applies to why just about everything I put into my hair is USDA organic - aloe vera, coconut oil, jojoba, the list goes on.

But as previous posters pointer out, there is no HUGE difference, just make sure you're reading your ingredients and being wary of what you buy. If you ever have the budget thought, I would suggest spoiling your self and buying something USDA organic for your hair. (:

Knifegill
October 11th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Companies do call soybean and corn oil "pure olive oil".

http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-extravirgin-olive-oil-fake/

Georgii
October 17th, 2014, 04:23 AM
Oh thanks, that really helps! I had no idea!

Georgii
October 17th, 2014, 04:25 AM
Thanks, I love supporting the organic industry so I might get it as a Christmas treat to myself haha

Georgii
October 17th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Oh my gosh! Thank you! Thats crazy!

goldenears
October 17th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Personally I would choose the extra virgin olive oil. I prefer oils that have been cold pressed with no additives added. This preserves the quality of the oil and ensures the hair is getting the optimum benefits from it.