PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting Thread: Buns and Braids

Hootenanny
October 10th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Hi Everyone! I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we could ask for help if we are struggling to master a certain updo. If a thread like this already exists, then I apologize. I haven't been able to find one, however.

So, I'll start. I'm trying to master the Pha bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF9Kp5W9Ig - but it keeps turning out way too tight. I've tried everything I can think of, and in particular have been making the loop around the fork very loose, but somehow, every time I pivot the fork up and into the bun, it tightens up to a painful degree.

I think this is a beautiful bun, and really want to get it to work for me. Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid the extreme tightness? :confused:

neko_kawaii
October 10th, 2014, 01:06 PM
A couple of ways you can play with tension on the Pha: make the first loop with the stick/fork a little bigger so it isn't so snug once it is pulled over the wrapped part, and/or make the wrapped part a little looser.

I have had a hard time with the Pha since about hip length. I just can't get it to sit comfortably. *sad* I can sometimes get the horizontal version (AKA KL Wrapped Bun) to work.

(I think previously such questions were asked in their own threads or in either the braid or bun thread. I like the idea for this thread and I'm not aware of a preexisting one, but if someone is, use the "report" button and provide the links and they can be merged. *magic*)

kittenface
October 10th, 2014, 02:18 PM
FANTASTIC thread idea.
Now, this is really vague, but it's something I've been thinking about lately: whenever I try to make a bun fancier than a basic twisting-the-hair-around-itself, it always ends up way too far to the right side of my head, when I'd obviously like it to be more in the middle. I try to compensate by starting further on the left side, which helps sometimes, but not always. I assume this is something I'll figure out with practice, but does anyone have any tips?

Hootenanny
October 10th, 2014, 07:10 PM
A couple of ways you can play with tension on the Pha: make the first loop with the stick/fork a little bigger so it isn't so snug once it is pulled over the wrapped part, and/or make the wrapped part a little looser.

I have had a hard time with the Pha since about hip length. I just can't get it to sit comfortably. *sad* I can sometimes get the horizontal version (AKA KL Wrapped Bun) to work.

(I think previously such questions were asked in their own threads or in either the braid or bun thread. I like the idea for this thread and I'm not aware of a preexisting one, but if someone is, use the "report" button and provide the links and they can be merged. *magic*)

Thanks for the advice, Neko! :) I will try to make the loop bigger, and will also keep in mind that maybe I've reached a length that makes this bun less workable. (I'm about 2 inches above waist while curly, but well below hip while straight.) I had imagined that every bun would become easier the longer I got, but now I realize that this is not true! :D

Madora
October 10th, 2014, 07:30 PM
FANTASTIC thread idea.
Now, this is really vague, but it's something I've been thinking about lately: whenever I try to make a bun fancier than a basic twisting-the-hair-around-itself, it always ends up way too far to the right side of my head, when I'd obviously like it to be more in the middle. I try to compensate by starting further on the left side, which helps sometimes, but not always. I assume this is something I'll figure out with practice, but does anyone have any tips?

Ever try a sectioned bun?
Sectioning (for the double braided bun):
1) Detangle your hair gently with a wide tooth comb
2) Part your hair from the top of your right ear, around the back of your head, to the top of your other ear
3) Take all the hair ABOVE the part, comb it out gently.
4) Divide hair in 3 parts and braid it loosely. Tie off w/hair friendly elastic
5) Coil the braid you just made by holding it FLAT against your scalp. While you are coiling, pin the braid to the scalp using crimped hairpins. Pin at the four directions (North/South/East/West..use more pins if needed)
6) Tuck the tassel under the braid coil
7) Take the remaining hair, comb out gently so there are no tangles
8) Divide in 3 sections. Braid Loosely! Fasten w/hair friendly elastic band.
9) Take the braid and wind it around the braided bun already made.
10) As you wind the braid around the bun, pin with crimped hairpins. Tuck in tassel.
Voila: you have created a comfy, long lasting double braided bun! Holds like a rock.

Sectioning can also be used to create: cameo bun, triple braided bun, double twisted bun, and a whole bunch of other variations
Sectioning can be done in more than 2 sections but I've only used two for most of my braids and stuff.
Special tip for step # 8 In order to get the remaining braid as close to the bun as possible, bend your head down steeply and then begin the braid as close to the bun as you can. It is a lot easier for gravity to work for you, than against you, when you are braiding the final braid!

dezibela
October 10th, 2014, 07:52 PM
My bun problem is smoothing the hair over the scalp. It just looks messy a lot of the time. Sometimes scalp shows through, sometimes it looks lopsided from the front. I have wavy/wurly hair w/a 4" pony, so my hair doesn't fall nicely into place like the ladies who make videos. It has a mind of its own when it's dry.

Any tips?

dezibela
October 10th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Oh, here's another. How do you get low buns to stay secure? I'm talking about buns that are positioned at the nape. Whenever I try, they just fall out.

TrapperCreekD
October 10th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I'm trying to master the Pha bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF9Kp5W9Ig - but it keeps turning out way too tight. I've tried everything I can think of, and in particular have been making the loop around the fork very loose, but somehow, every time I pivot the fork up and into the bun, it tightens up to a painful degree.

I think this is a beautiful bun, and really want to get it to work for me. Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid the extreme tightness? :confused:

I feel your pain, literally! I fell in love with this bun but it always, even with a stick, is so unbearably tight that I can't wear it more than a couple minutes. However, I did find a solution! Go about making the Pha bun as normal. Flip the fork but don't push it into the bun. Instead, carefully remove the fork and use your fingers to enlarge the loop, reinsert fork and voilą!

neko_kawaii
October 10th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I feel your pain, literally! I fell in love with this bun but it always, even with a stick, is so unbearably tight that I can't wear it more than a couple minutes. However, I did find a solution! Go about making the Pha bun as normal. Flip the fork but don't push it into the bun. Instead, carefully remove the fork and use your fingers to enlarge the loop, reinsert fork and voilą!

I just realized something! The Pha and my lazy not quite a nautilus are structurally the same bun - minus what I think of as a Hypnotica twist at the start (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFeNYl-OK6Q)*. The difference is that the Pha uses a tool (stick or fork) to create the first loop to the size of the tool where I use my hand to make different sized loops depending on the size of the tool I intend to secure the bun with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW19GiwE00E&list=UUxMMgBLVnmIkbYMsAJ-JBKw

I think inserting the tool separate from bun formation allows a slightly different entry and a more even hold for me.

*Watch what she does at the beginning of the bun where she takes the ponytail and twists it once to form a loop, (she then twists a second time in this video, but ignore that for now), that is essentially what the tool is doing when beginning a Pha bun.

neko_kawaii
October 10th, 2014, 09:42 PM
My bun problem is smoothing the hair over the scalp. It just looks messy a lot of the time. Sometimes scalp shows through, sometimes it looks lopsided from the front. I have wavy/wurly hair w/a 4" pony, so my hair doesn't fall nicely into place like the ladies who make videos. It has a mind of its own when it's dry.

Any tips?

I hope someone with thicker hair comes along with some advice. I don't worry about it too much, but it also just seems to behave most of the time. I remember fussing over that years ago and I couldn't tell you if I just figured something out through trial and error or if I just stopped noticing it.

Oh, here's another. How do you get low buns to stay secure? I'm talking about buns that are positioned at the nape. Whenever I try, they just fall out.

I think it is a matter of good tension learned through trial and error. Generally if a nape bun falls out for me it is because I did it too loose (or it worked loose while I was active). One bun that generally holds well for me at nape is Spidermom's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBA2OhZrcU).

Nebulae
October 11th, 2014, 05:18 AM
About the pha bun - when I make it, I have to loosen the loops I made around the base as I'm pushing the stick/fork in. It also helps if I grab the center of the bun (the part that is twisted around the stick/fork in the beginning) and pull it outwards. :)
However, my pha bun tends to rotate during the day so that it sits diagonally instead of stays vertical.. sounds like it may be too loose, but if I make it any tighter it hurts :confused:

dezibela
October 11th, 2014, 10:15 AM
One bun that generally holds well for me at nape is Spidermom's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBA2OhZrcU).

This seems to be working for me. Thank you!

Gertrude
October 11th, 2014, 10:36 AM

I have very fine hair, so definitely not thick and it's at BSL. I can do a low braided bun, sectioned made from two braids or a single braid low down on my nape. I need to hold it with 3 inch steel Amish pins. But it does stay.

From experience of having had longer hair than this I know the longer my hair gets towards WL the easier this bun gets and the more secure. But with the 3 inch pins a low braided bun lasts all day on me.