PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles wide at the temples?

CousinItt
October 10th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I have what's referred to sometimes as a pear-shaped face. My hairline comes in at the temple so that my forehead is narrower than my (considerable) jaw. As a result, hairstyles that are wide at the temple/top of the ear help balance my face out.

Does anyone have any hairstyles they could recommend? I am bored with my the few I've come up with so far. Difficulty level is no object, I will conquer all obstacles :)

Madora
October 10th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Could you please provide a picture so we can see what you are talking about? Hard to visualize your problem w/o visual ref. Also, how long is your hair? Thanks!

CousinItt
October 10th, 2014, 12:52 PM
My hair is almost 31 inches (waist for me).

This diagram (http://www.labellamafiabeauty.com/uploads/1/0/1/1/10113799/1358299777.jpg) demonstrates the different face shapes (I don't wish to post a picture of my own face). As you can see, pear-shaped faces are wide at the jaw and narrow at the temple. Hairstyles that are wide at the sides (by the temples/tops of ears down to the cheekbones) make the jaw seem less domineering.

For example, a side-swept bang adds width at that part of the face, but I don't like bangs. I'd rather find updos that are wider in that area (as opposed to adding height which looks terrible on me).

Let me know if that was a clearer explanation or if I just muddied everything :)

Beborani
October 10th, 2014, 03:14 PM
http://i62.tinypic.com/xx0sj.jpg

Does your hairline look like this? Mine does. Am not an artist you can tell! I part at one of those natural points or go even deeper into the side and create faux side bangs that eventually join the rest of the hair in the bun. In fact it is my goto style if my hair is not slicked back--even that does not look bad with this hairline.

Madora
October 10th, 2014, 03:49 PM
My hair is almost 31 inches (waist for me).

This diagram (http://www.labellamafiabeauty.com/uploads/1/0/1/1/10113799/1358299777.jpg) demonstrates the different face shapes (I don't wish to post a picture of my own face). As you can see, pear-shaped faces are wide at the jaw and narrow at the temple. Hairstyles that are wide at the sides (by the temples/tops of ears down to the cheekbones) make the jaw seem less domineering.

For example, a side-swept bang adds width at that part of the face, but I don't like bangs. I'd rather find updos that are wider in that area (as opposed to adding height which looks terrible on me).

Let me know if that was a clearer explanation or if I just muddied everything :)

Thanks for the diagram. As for hairstyles that are wide at the side, the only thing I can think of are Princess Leia's braided buns. Usually the sides of the hair are drawn back, or braided back in some fashion, so there is no "puffiness" or hint of fullness on the sides. One thing for sure, an updo is much preferable to a down style as long hair would draw more attention to the long contours of the face.

The only other style I can think of are Dickensenian ringlets..and I'm sure you don't want to go thru all the hassle that entails!

The other thing I remember seeing (in Civil War cabinet photos) are hairstyles of young ladies where the hair is center parted and the side hair is arced out from the sides of the head..probably with a hair "rat" or padding.

FrozenBritannia
October 10th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Double dutch braids, transitioning into whatever bun you want?

mica
October 10th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I don't think that a hairstyle that's specifically wide at the temples is necessary, I'd say anything that adds volume above the jaw line will help balance your face out, at least that's what seems to work for most pear-shaped faces. Have you tried a deep side part? Other things that come to my mind are high buns and victory rolls

Hedera
October 11th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Double dutch braids, transitioning into whatever bun you want?

Yes, that was what I was thinking about too.

Also perhaps a crown braid?

Chiaroscuro
October 11th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Crown braids, or any braids that cross back and forth from side to side at the crown

Many renaissance styles emphasize the sides...see YouTube

Hairstyles that have as their foundation a part from one ear to the other ear.
For instance, you can take the back half and put it up in a bun, chignon, etc. The top half can be spit into two buns, one at each side, OR you can coil all the hair. I looked quickly for a video of coiling but couldn't find it. To coil the hair, simply take a chunk of hair (I suggest about a 2" square), and twist the entire length...keep twisting until it coils down on itself to a length of about 3--5"...then lay it down artfully and pin in place. Repeat with the rest of the upper hair...this should give you puffiness at the sides and crown. [Of course, don't twist so tight as to damage the hair]

You might be able to adapt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjIj59F8zuE

CousinItt
October 11th, 2014, 12:55 PM
You guys are awesome, thank you.

Madora I have been sorely tempted to do some leia stuff. Maybe I will. I'll check out some of the civil war hairstyles for sure.

Beborani the deep side part is brilliant. I've never tried it before, because my hair suits me centre-parted when I'm wearing it down. I now have it deeply parted and swooped like a side bang and pulled into a french braid. It's looking both chic and flattering.

Frozen brittania and hedera double dutch braids are always a winner, as are double twists and double french braids. I will definitely give the crown braid a try.

Mica I will give the high buns and victory rolls a try for sure. I think you're right about the volume generally.

Chiaroscuro (nice name. Are you an artist?) those are great ideas and thank you for the link. I'll definitely look harder at the ear to ear parted styles. That never entered my mind.

CurlyCap
October 11th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I have a pear shaped face too! So I'm by default always trying to add height and width to my hair.

I think the key is not depending on styles to do this. Rather, get really good at learning how you can add volume to the front/hairline/crown of you hair, secure the volume....and then do the back of the hairdo how you like.

Madora recently posted a thread on how to add a puff to the front. I'm more used to an approach that requires about an inch from the hairline to be treated separately and perhaps pinned/tucked/victory-rolled into place.

I wish I could be of more use, but I don't have to go to great lengths to 3D sculpt my hair as a curly. As a type 2, I think your hair will likely hold it's position quite well once you learn how to get it there. But hopefully someone else can chime in with more advice on pinning and such.

CousinItt
October 18th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Get busy for a few days and threads just disappear :)

I can definitely get volume without much effort. Great suggestion curlycap! Thank you

Chiaroscuro
October 20th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Hi CousinItt, thank you for the feedback, I am glad my thoughts might have helped.

Unfortunately, I am one of those people who is super crafty and creative, but never able to become truly artistic. Maybe in my retirement years I will find the latent talent to write blockbusters or paint masterpieces... I chose Chiaroscuro to reflect the light and dark times of my life which I try to mix together to make a masterpiece of my life---it that makes any sense.

Anyway, I was looking for an example of coiling as I know I have seen some ladies here with it, and I noticed the latest avatar of ladyfey might contain coiled hair. Also, I found this on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfpEQrWjPTQ
Unfortunately, she speaks only Russian, and the coil is not the simple coil I was thinking of; she instead cornrows her coil, picking up hair along the way. Anyway, the coiling starts at :55.

Wishing you all the best!!