PDA

View Full Version : Trichologist

Beborani
October 10th, 2014, 11:56 AM
http://www.trichologists.org.uk/index.php/about-us/faq-s

Since this term comes up often on this forum and here in the US I have never heard of them--we go to dermatologist for scalp issues, i assumed it was a medical subspeciality in other countries. Turns out it is NOT always so. From the above website:

The Yellow Pages list ‘trichologists who are not Institute members. Why?
There is no system of registration or control of trichology in the UK. Therefore, the legal position is that anyone can set up and call himself or herself a trichologist, with no training, no qualifications, no experience and no ethics.

cathair
October 10th, 2014, 02:14 PM
I didn't know that. That's quite scary. That's good information to know :)

Leeloo
October 10th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Thank you for posting this! Very interesting.

Beborani
October 10th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Even that link which sounds ao authoritative is really a distance learning program that anyone over 18 can enroll in. It is important for everyone to know this and not assume they are going to a medical professional.
From that same website
The Institute of Trichologists provides a two-year distance learning package backed by clinical practice. Trichologists are not medically qualified but are medically trained in areas pertaining to the health of the hair and scalp.

tokugawa.miyako
October 10th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Might be helpful, but it seems kinda shady to me.

Panth
October 11th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Yup. Like nutritionist vs. dietician - one is a quack with no recognised qualifications, one is a protected term and is who you'll get sent to on the NHS (and no prizes for guessing which of the two is usually found spouting "knowledge" in newspaper articles, websites, etc.).